• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Ninjitsu] Template ideas for a fighting ninja

ziggy29

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been playing around with a melee fighting ninjitsu char for several months now. I never really spent much time with him and I've been juggling the template around quite a bit, not deciding on what will work best. Part of that may be because I really haven't learned how to work the ninja, so that's why I'm asking for template ideas here.

I know there will be five core skills (current skill cap is only 705):

ninjitsu 120 (currently 96 with equipment)
fencing 120 (currently 81)
tactics 90+ (currently 75)
hiding 100 (currently 100)
stealth 80+ (currently 92)

---

After that (other than just how much to devote to tactics and stealth), I keep going back and forth on what is essentially room for two more skills to round it out.

One option is to add healing, whereby I'd add maybe 100 healing and 90 anatomy, taking me to 710 (but with jewels could probably increase tactics above 90). This would give me good self-healing, curing and resurrection capability but seems underpowered against tough monsters (again, maybe it's because I haven't really learned how to "work" a ninja). It also provides no recall capability other than charged runebooks.

Another option would be to instead add 100+ bushido and about 70 chiv. With this I'd have the ability to recall with chivalry and could use CW and EoO to increase damage -- as well as having perfection, confidence for healing and other special moves of Bushido. The downside is that this character is weak in healing -- could heal through confidence, close wounds and pots, and could cure poison only through the chiv spell and pots (though orange petals and eventually resistant up to level 3 poison with unicorn form). However, this is still a fairly weak healing capacity, is dependent on potions (and thus limited to one-handed weapons) and has almost no resurrection capacity. As before, whatever points I have left over could be added to tactics and/or additional bushido.

But these are largely based on my experiences with traditional melee warriors, which a properly used ninja is definitely not. So any other ideas out there from experienced ninjas? This is primarily (though not necessarily exclusively in the future) for a PvM toon.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

There are several very strong Ninja templates, they mostly come down to how you intend to heal, though the better ones don't use Hiding or Stealth.

Ninja/Wammy
Ninja/Necro/Mage
Ninja/Tamer
Ninja/Dexxer (Bandages)
Ninja/Dexxer (Forms/Regen)
Ninja/Dexxer (4/6 Chiv)
You could also possibly build the whole thing around Shadow Strike, I don't know if its possible but I've often thought about seeing if I could kill various bosses just with non stop Shadow Strike. If I had the character room I would always have a Ninja of some sort.

You should probably find out what all the Forms do before you decide anything and also see how Mirror Images work. The rest of the Ninja spellbook is pretty lacking and you don't want to train things that you wont end up using.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I did on my ninja was to stack skill items for more elbow room.

Shadow dancer legs
Royal Guard Investigator cloak
Jewels with +15 stealth. You can have 2 skills per jewel at 15 giving room for warrior type properties.

All in all you can have like 50 stealth and 120 stealth modified by items.

I was able to fit resist, chiv and parry on a ninja

Deception

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about 99 Necro / 75 Chiv? Would have some spare points to add wherever else they are needed. Vamp form would do wonders for your healing, and chiv of course for sacred journey, extra damage, and divine fury.

Or as said before, whammy/ninja would be nice. 40 Necro(100% chance to cast curse weapon), 65 Chiv, and as much as you can put in SS. A wraith seems ninja-like to me. Also, you have to be on foot to use mirror images, so not much downside to being wraith form here.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you insist on keeping hiding and stealth, adding 40 necro and some spirit speak for curse weapon and additional mana leech works best. Mirror images take a lot of mana if you want to keep them going against high level monsters.

Ninjitsu and high healing/anatomy works nearly as well against single big monsters as a sampire, sometimes worse,sometimes better. But you cannot fit hiding/stealth into such a template.

In case this is a pvm char, i do not get why you want to rezz better, the best thing on a pvm ninja are the mirror images, and other people tend to destroy them by using ae spells. Ninjas make better solo chars, for a group, a plain samurai is better.

ziggy29

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to all for the ideas. For now I soulstoned off stealth and hiding so I could keep some anatomy/healing/bushido and also some necro/SS for whammy action. Will be a while before I get high enough in these that I come close to the 705 cap, at which time I'll have another decision to make about the direction. But for now I'm working all of them up so I can get a better idea of where I want to take him later.