• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Template Advice please

dupapa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
was not sure if this should be in the tamer forum or the bard, but here goes,

Current setup

Magery 100
Med 100
AnimalL 100
AnimalT 100
vet 100
music 100
disco 65 (i recently stoned peace 85.7)
1 piece of jewlery will get me too 110/110 lore and tame
2 piece of jewlery will get me too 120/120 lore and tame
(i generally only use 1 jewlery an use 2FC/3FCR on the other jewlery slot)

right.. question,

i can forsee me using one of the following:

disco/provo/bard/tamer

Magery 100
AnimalL 100
AnimalT 100
vet 100
music 120
disco 120
provo 120

760 total, this account can have 720 total,

now do i try and find a +20 disco +20 provo ring (shame loot?)

or a +20 music +20 disco ring? (shame loot?)

or

disco/myst/tamer

Magery 100
AnimalL 100
AnimalT 100
vet 100
music 120
disco 120
myst 100

need to find a +20 disco ring only

last question, if i went with this template with i be better swapping out disco for provo?

any help is much appriciated

Many thanks in advance

[edit] this will be used for pvm only, some group hunting some solo,

just another thought i could go down the necro disco/or/prove/bard/tamer? :)

here is what im now thinking.......

i have just purchased a +10provo/+10 disco/+10 music ring, would i get away with adjusting it to whats below

disco/provo/bard/tamer

Magery 100
AnimalL 100 110 via bracelet
AnimalT 100 110 via bracelet
vet 90
music 110 120 via ring
disco 110 120 via ring
provo 110 120 via ring

then use enhanced bandies for 100vet again? or can i get away with 90 vet and be ok? or should i drop magery to 90?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
wowsers, that was a lot.

k, lets break it down a bit into some bite sized chunks.

first off,
do you plan on just using the skills of provo and disco, or are you planning on using the masteries?
cause if you are planning to use the masteries then you will need REAL skill to be 120, not ringed up.
if you are just using it for the normal skill, then your fine the way you have things.

second.
if your gonna drop some points off a skill id say magic.
why, cause you only use it for recalling and healing and curing yourself and the odd invis, so you dont really need that much of it.

now, that said there are perks and negatives on all the things you posted.

lets look at one.
the myst/mage tamer.
i have one of these.
LOVE IT!
but, theres always a but, you need to have focus or imbuing in order to get any effects out of the myst spells.

what i would recommend for you is this.
pick either one or the other bard skill.
either provo or disco.

realistically there is no reason to have them both.
once you disco a mob and put your greater onto it its dead.
provo what.... the odd side spawn?

now i know its an attractive looking template, infact i HAD that template, but i stoned off my provo for the simple fact that i was never using it.
its something to think about.

maybe roll this around on your tongue and see how it tastes;
70 magic (get a scrapper or normal spell book with +15 magic)
100 taming (ring up to 120)
100 animal lore(ring up to 120)
120 music
120 disco
100 myst
100 focus
now go get a imbuer to make a ring and watch set for ya.
1/2 casting on each with say 10 taming and 10 animal lore on each one.
then you can add some more focus or myst to them as well, idealy you would add more focus cause that adds ummmf to your myst spells.
you wont need uber high end myst either cause you wont be casting RCs or anything, just cleansing wind and some cyclones and such.

so thats one example.

at the end of the day my biggest recommendation to you is to pick one or the other bard skill.
you really dont need provo on a tamer.
what are you gonna do, provo stuff ONTO your dragon.
you can do the same by just saying 'all kill'

and remember.
disco is the king.
nothing says let me take all your loot like smacking a critter for 28% reduction in resists and skills and a greater dragon eating you!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
oh sorry

as for the vet skill.
i wouldnt go below 100.
100 give you good healing amount and a good success rate at res'ing pets.
once you get below that you start missing a lot on the res's and such.
and anything higher really isnt worth the points investment.

sure at 120 vet you never fail a res, but you are only doing like 2-5 more HP healed per bandaid and thats not worth the 20 points.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so,

to wrap it up.

1) do you want to use the bard masteries?
if yes, then you need real skill in music and your bard skill

2) if yes to the masteries, then you better have high med

3) consider dropping provo

thats what i would suggest.
there are a lot of tamers out there that run provo and swear by it.
im not one of them.

disco on the tamer.
provo on the bard.

dupapa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
poo many thanks for your reply,

its clear i have some reading to do RE masteries before i can make a decision, this is all new to me :)

while i do that ill train disco to a semi decent level

quick question in that myst/tamer template you showed, without it having vet i take it relies on myst for pet healing??

Many thanks!

//Dupa

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
It Relies on greater heal and cleansing wind

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd go voke/provo tamer, I have one already and it's a lot of fun. It just gives you a crowd control option and you can work spawn alongside your pet, rather than relying on it for damage. I always prefer tamers who can do a bit of the work themselves, because they're less puny if a pet dies or needs support. But it's tight on skills :D I preferred 2 skill bard tamers when skills capped at GM lol - a nice 7xGM bard tamer was yummy.

What I did was rely on skill items for magery rather than barding skills, and you could do the same with vet if you need it. If you're going to use both prov and disco masteries, you'll be aiming for 120 in all 3 bard skills which is quite hefty. If you want to max the masteries of course. If you're content with a bit less, you can cap lower. Or just max out one and boost the second with skill items.

It's worth trying out different options on Test Center, see how the template handles and how you're going to use masteries. You can then try hunting the same critters and adjusting your bard skills to see how the masteries "feel" for you. I always find it easier to play with templates and see them in practice than try to imagine what damage figures I'll get and how it'll fit in with my hunting skill.

Without meditation, masteries can be quite a drain if you're also using mana to heal and invis etc. If you have an alchemist of course, you can use invis potions instead of casting the spell if you're using a mastery. You could soulstone vet off for a hunt and replace it with meditation, but my bard didn't get the nickname "death vortex" for nothing...so I prefer keeping vet for those little mishaps she has ;)

I'd say hit Test Centre for an afternoon, play and practice and see what suits you best.

Wenchy

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
well it could have been worse.

we could have had someone come in and tell us that a peace tamer was where the party was at!

hehehehehe.

ya, a lot of people like the provo tamer.
i think more lean to the disco tamer.

at the end of the day its all in your play style and what you like and get comfy with.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well it could have been worse.

we could have had someone come in and tell us that a peace tamer was where the party was at!

hehehehehe.

ya, a lot of people like the provo tamer.
i think more lean to the disco tamer.

at the end of the day its all in your play style and what you like and get comfy with.
Oh it's absolutely an individual thing :) I think if I'd started my bard after PS arrived, I probably would've gone disco tamer and built a separate pure bard. It's one of those less sensible templates, but I've always had a soft spot for provo-induced chaos :D

Wenchy

dupapa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey people, again many thanks on your input,

after reading the guide on masteries

i see no reason not to use the disco mastery, question, can i disco a pet as normal getting up to 28% knocked of the critter, THEN use a mastery skill like inspire to get an additional 15HCI etc,

if this is the case then i see no reason not to select it as a mastery, apart from the mana requirement i cant yet see the downside,

im definatly going to go the disco/tamer template route, (ill make a full disco/provo/peace bard later)

below is where im at,

im thinking getting myst into here is going to be too tight ??? because it also needs focus.

100 Magery
100 animal lore (jewelry up to 120)(110 & fc3 FC2, or 120 using 2 rings)
100 taming (jewelry up to 120)(110 & fc3 FC2, or 120 using 2 rings)
100 Vet
120 Music (REAL skill)
120 Disco (REAL skill)

i have dropped 100 meditation from the template to leave 640 Total so far, leaving 80 skill points remaining until the 720 total (760 total with tamer rings)

any ideas on what the last 80 would be best spent on, im also toying with the idea of magery drop to 80 leaving a full 100 points for another skill, im just not sure what skill that is....

any ideas

again many thanks in advance!!

[edit] - this might be beneficial....

stats.....

max stats 255?? er i dont remember it being 255 on this char...

currently my char page reads 230/255 stats (using pinco ui btw)

101 in strength
39 in dex
90 in intel

any advice on what the ideal for these are, ill explain why they are what they are below....

i kept strength for loot capacity,
dex is low as its only being used for vet heals?
intel is high as this char has always been a mage/tamer orginally

E

elspeth

Well I won't claim it's where the party's at but I do run a peace tamer. I have a more defensive playstyle and prefer being able to get out of sticky situations rather than just be able to kill things faster. Disco won't stop the monsters coming after you but area peace works pretty good. I also use spellweaving and love gift of life and ethereal voyage and of course WoD.

Z

Zero Day

I have a provo tamer,
I'm thinking of switching to peacing.

I took a rune beetle/fire steed combo down into shame and that worked nicely with Inspire and invigorate running helping to keep them healed.

I think I may switch to peace mastery to try out with my GD to give him a more tanky bit since my main problem is keeping the pets alive with multiple of those heavier hitters come into the picture.