• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Template Advice for non-combat Fisher

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If I do not intend to do the Fabled Fishing Net Spawns with a particular character, would GM Magery do for defense/combat from random mobs?

Would fit nicely on utility toon if so.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yes, gm magic is fine for killing the sea serpents and water elementals. It is also high enough to do green nets. My friend Nikka has non problems. She doesn't use a slayer spell book instead she uses a sea serpent talisman fron the heartwood quest. And if you should die on board the ship, your helmsman still follows orders.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yes, I forgot all about the Talisman. I might swap out my book for a talisman so I can use a different book. Thanks Tamais!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use the following basic template for my resource gatherers on quite a few shards:

100 Mining
100 Lumberjacking
100-120 Fishing
80-100 Magery
100-120 Musicianship
100-120 Peacemaking
Remainder could go to tinkering or evaluate intelligence.

I used to have lumberjacking on my carpenter and mining on my blacksmith. However, changes made over the years to carpentry and blacksmithing skill made it unnecessary to continue trying to jam those extra resource-gathering skills onto crafter characters and it made sense to me to just put everything related to gathering resources that doesn't normally involve much combat into a single character and give that character peacemaking skill to help handle the occasional pesky mob that she would need to subdue to either flee from or try to kill a bit slowly with limited magery skills. While fishing, I usually cast a fire elemental to help with killing sea serpents and water elementals. As long as magery (real or boosted with book or jewelry) is about 90 or higher, that's all that's needed in the magery department. Mind blast spell works well for killing stuff with magery that isn't boosted by evaluate intelligence skill and 90 magery is more than sufficient for marking runes or casting gate spell.

I've never used any of my fishers to toss a fabled fishing net. They seem to be pretty hard to get anymore and I figure if I ever did get a chance to throw one, I'd probably try to get some guildmates to go with me to kill the spawn.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I use a water elemental slayer scrappers compendium on my fisher (and, although I don't need it, it has additional +magery on it), and when I'm fishing, I will often summon a water elemental and an air elemental (to use all 5 slots, and give me two caster allies) if there's a chance something will show up.

I would suggest using a 105 or 110 Magery PS so that if you have jewelry or a book to put you over 100, you can utilize it (and summons fail a lot more than they should; every little bit helps).

If you run without Eval int, then the only spells you need worry about are travel spells, healing/curing, summons and Mind blast. All the damaging spells that the slayers would help on are dependent on Eval, and I don't know if they ever changed Mind Blast to get SDI from bonuses or slayer (it definitely didn't a few years ago, at least for the slayer).

Seelendolch

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
My temp is
Lj
Mining
Fishing
Cooking
Magery
Med
Eval
Magery is 96 atm, have had no trouble from sea serpents, i normally move boat a few tiles, cast a demon, move it back. Might try other summons that people above mentioned though, cause it seems i am becoming evil lol.