• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tech help needed.

Black Tom

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looking for all the information I can get on Sinowal.Trojan. Got tons of questions. PM me if you can help.

Thanks

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Black Tom

Looking for all the information I can get on Sinowal.Trojan. Got tons of questions.
Sinowal.Trojan is bad... it looks for and steals banking information. It can be difficult to detect and remove... not only because it's a virus, but one that uses rootkit techniques to hide itself (kind of a "combo special" cocktail).

Rootkit scanners help, but you're best off with an anti virus scanner that includes rootkit detection/removal built-in... that best for that would be Avira's AntiVir.

You may also want to try scanning with the latest version of SpyBot S&D. Includes a TSR registry firewall (TeaTimer), and will do a pre-boot scan on demand & detection (pre-boot scans allows detection & removal of malware before the OS boots to the desktop, so malware can be found before it hides itself by the time your PC boots to the Windows desktop).

There is an entire Saftey menu in the UO Toolbar full of every category of security tools to help protect your PC... check it out.

Hope that helps and you get rid of Sinowal.Trojan soon... it's a nasty one.

M

Marcus Blackwell

First Ive heard of this Trojan just curious how does ones computer become infected with this?

Black Tom

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First Ive heard of this Trojan just curious how does ones computer become infected with this?
From what I've read today, this thing has been around since 2006. It is used to access banking accounts, credit and debit accounts. That is originally how we found out there was a problem. Monday, accounts were accessed. Finally, Friday, the virus protection caught the virus. Kinda like closing the barn door after the cows get out.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sinowal.Trojan is usually spread through web sites... such as using what is called a SQL Injection attack to inject known/trusted web sites with malicious code. Sinowal.Trojan can be sent through email, but it's not the usual form of sending it.
Also this is an interesting read... Does the banking industry really care about the Sinowal trojan?