• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

tc3 for free?

M

mariotso

dear devs/ea/maxis/ptb:

given the play experience in tc3, i'm reminded of the good ole days of beta. back then however, i experienced much less frustration when i encountered any kind of technical problem. the obvious reason is because i did not have to pay for the pleasure of sometimes not even being able to log in.

with such big design and technical changes on the horizon, the bugs and outages will no doubt continue. i'm wondering if any consideration has been given to making tc3 free, the way it was when we were beta testers.

not only would this be less frustrating for the existing players to put up with technical issues and the pace of change, but if you announced a new beta (or what comes after beta in greek?!), you no doubt would get a ton of new players who would become subscribers when ea land is all nice and pretty.

what do you think? thank you for your reply.

G

Polly said this and I believe it is 100% true:

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="red">Letting us play for free, is completely counter productive, when they are trying so hard to prove to EA Games that this can become a financially viable and self-supporting game.</font>

But there is certainly nothing damaging to those efforts, with giving us, the patient players, extra skill locks for our troubles!

Hint, hint.......

[/ QUOTE ]

So no, I don't think we should get it for free. If you take away the money we are paying, they get nothing.

edit: had to give credit to the person I quoted.

M

mariotso

well i'll continue to wait for a reply from those i directed the post to (thanks for the bump!), but in the meantime...

consider what they lose because of those who have no choice but to cancel our accounts because we literally cannot play. this was my second weekend i could not log in even to a production city. yes, there are difficulties and growing pains to be expected, but why would i pay them for a game i can't even play? on the other hand, i'd gladly stick around and help them work out their bugs on their nickle. but right now, i really feel like a chump.

besides, from a marketing standpoint it's brilliant because of the new players it will attract who would continue as paying subscribers after release

from what i understand, we're not talking about alot here. i've heard our subscription fees don't even go to pay one salary. you know, its kind of like cutting of your hand to save your arm, kinda gross but you know what i mean.

p.s. "a financially viable and self-supporting game" would provide weekend support for its paying customers

I

imported_DutchAmerica

LMAO.....TSO was down 1 day and suddently TSO should be free. OMG!!!
Too funny.

As for log in problems, it's impossible for the dev team to anticipate the vast array of set ups that individual users have on their systems or how those files have been manipulated since they were installed.

There are some things players can do to give themselves a bit of insurance. First thing is to get a nice clean download of the game. Then keep a back up copy of it somewhere so that if the main file you are using gets corrupted, you can replace it.

I don't mind paying for my accounts though. I figure it's my ongoing investment in a game I adore. In fact, I actually picked up another account because I wanted a bear sim.

BTW: the future 'freebie' account....I don't believe it will be able to play in TC3 at all? or was it EAland? I can't remember

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

Too funny.

As for log in problems, it's impossible for the dev team to anticipate the vast array of set ups that individual users have on their systems or how those files have been manipulated since they were installed.

There are some things players can do to give themselves a bit of insurance. First thing is to get a nice clean download of the game. Then keep a back up copy of it somewhere so that if the main file you are using gets corrupted, you can replace it.

I don't mind paying for my accounts though. I figure it's my ongoing investment in a game I adore. In fact, I actually picked up another account because I wanted a bear sim.

BTW: the future 'freebie' account....I don't believe it will be able to play in TC3 at all? or was it EAland? I can't remember

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that changed so not sure what it is going to be, Luc had posted it would be TC3 and then Sarah edited his blog post. Good question though. I'm guessing it will be EA Land so the "other" gamers who come in to EA Land can hook up with others to play games other than TSO or whatever it will be called..

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

Too funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you missed that "this was my second weekend i could not log in even to a production city"

ps. da, i wonder if you might take a moment to reread the op. i'm not coming from a wtf am i paying for this crap point of view. i too love this game, enough to have more than one account, but not enough to pay for not being able to play.

its not uncommon for games to have free players testing games, and i think in this case it would also be beneficial in attracting new players, which would be good thing for the game

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Too funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you missed that "this was my second weekend i could not log in even to a production city"

[/ QUOTE ]

And you are not the only one locked out of TSO, Mario.

I am enjoying reading this thread to see how some people insist on telling us to make lemonade when the lemons are rotted. Some things don't deserve defending. I agree with you Mario, and others, the log in problem is a huge obstacle that reflects a deeper problem than just "a bug."

I think it is funny that some posters here consider reporting and/or complaining that they cannot log in to play the game they are paying for as "demands" on the devs meant to derail the merge and quash game development. Well, that is hilarious.
That is the evil plan of those who are complaining, I'm sure. Oh yeah.

Support works both ways. Or should.

As for which should be freebie account -- that TC3 players are testing would make it logical for that area to be free? I thought the plan was for free accounts to be available for the entire game, with tiers of membership granting more perks at each subscription level. I think testers, if anyone, should play for free but also those who want to sample EA Land might be more likely to try it out if it was free.

TC3 players won't be allowed to sell simoleons back to EA, meaning testers won't have financial gain as an incentive.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Yeah, it's certain great when people 'pick and choose' what part of a comment they want to blast away at.

The cute comebacks are sweet especially when suggestions are overlooked. And the overlooked 'suggestion' I made was:

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I also stated:

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

With all the updates and coding go on, you will not be able to get 'effective troubleshooting' from EA. You would need to go to the devs for it. I would suggest if you are continuing to have the log in problem that you im either Parizad or Lee Fancy here and give them a detailed description of what your problem is.

I had a problem updated my folder this past weekend. Said I didn't have a dll or something. I just 'deleted' the old folder and 'copied' a fresh copy of TSO and away I went.

People that have been around this game awhile kinda figure out that it's a pain in the neck to download everytime there's a problem so we keep a spare. Especially if you are running handme down, passed around 'files'. *clears throats, you know what I mean*

I also have to wonder....didn't the update also update some of the graphics? Is it possible that some player's systems are not up-to-date enough to run the game? Though I can't imagine who could have a system older then mine but there might be some.

....just for your guys. I'll download TSO from the website and reload it (in a new folder of course) and see if I had the same problems you are having. I'll do the download tonight and the setup tomorrow night. I'll let you know in 2 days if I have a problem.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Too funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you are not the only one locked out of TSO, Mario.

I am enjoying reading this thread to see how some people insist on telling us to make lemonade when the lemons are rotted. Some things don't deserve defending. I agree with you Mario, and others, the log in problem is a huge obstacle that reflects a deeper problem than just "a bug."

I think it is funny that some posters here consider reporting and/or complaining that they cannot log in to play the game they are paying for as "demands" on the devs meant to derail the merge and quash game development. Well, that is hilarious.
That is the evil plan of those who are complaining, I'm sure. Oh yeah.

Support works both ways. Or should.

As for which should be freebie account -- that TC3 players are testing would make it logical for that area to be free? I thought the plan was for free accounts to be available for the entire game, with tiers of membership granting more perks at each subscription level. I think testers, if anyone, should play for free but also those who want to sample EA Land might be more likely to try it out if it was free.

TC3 players won't be allowed to sell simoleons back to EA, meaning testers won't have financial gain as an incentive.

[/ QUOTE ]

AGREED! There are MANY players who are having problem after problem with the "new" login and it must be repaired or rebuilt before any kind of a merge is even considered. Are we going to keep leaving customers behind because they cannot log into the game they are helping to support? I thought the idea was for the current playerbase to get new people to join this game. I can't suggest anyone try this game until this MAJOR ISSUE is dealt with and finally put to rest, too many people are having to uninstall and reinstall day in and day out for this to be overlooked. Would you tell people to come try this game if you knew there was a good chance they would not be able to login once their account had been set up and paid? What kind of friend would do that?

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

Too funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you missed the posts from new players with fresh installs that could not get logged into the game. I would think that EA would ensure that a download that shows 100% complete would be playable, but I guess I was wrong. I'm pretty sure those new players who could not login after a huge download will steer clear of ANY online game like this one now. So the merge needs to wait IMHO!

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

Well, my dear, I was not speaking for myself. For some unknown reason I have no problems logging in. I have not strayed from TC, though. I am having too much fun pulling cheetahs, and nothing else, although I have now gone through almost all my TSO cash, in all cities.
If I was not able to log in at all, well, you wouldn't miss me, I'm sure, but I'd be gone.

Lighten up, kiddo. I am not attacking anyone. Your Disney inspired siggie is apt. Just know some of us don't believe in fairy godmothers offering polished apples.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Hmmm....I think that the download from EA is probably the same file as what we've been using. Which to me would mean that new people would need to download that microsoft patch to make it work?

That's just my thoughts anyway.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

Hmmm....I think that the download from EA is probably the same file as what we've been using. Which to me would mean that new people would need to download that microsoft patch to make it work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah well they went through all the instructions on the blog and still can't play. I have no idea whats up with that but there it is. Lets hope the team can come up with a download already patched to every known city we have and to come and put this issue to bed once and for all.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Well, my dear, I was not speaking for myself. For some unknown reason I have no problems logging in. I have not strayed from TC, though. I am having too much fun pulling cheetahs, and nothing else, although I have now gone through almost all my TSO cash, in all cities.
If I was not able to log in at all, well, you wouldn't miss me, I'm sure, but I'd be gone.

Lighten up, kiddo. I am not attacking anyone. Your Disney inspired siggie is apt. Just know some of us don't believe in fairy godmothers offering polished apples.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks....
Not sure whether or not that was a compliment but my instinct says it wasn't.

KIR had a good point about the 'new new' people just downloading the game for the first time and not having the benefit of this site to get information from.

I'm willing to take a 'bite' of the apple and use my OWN time to download from site to see what happens and report it back to the devs. I could say to heck with these people and go play the game I'm paying for instead of sitting for hours watching the little download meter.

Would there be any others willing to join me in the 'download' and 'setup' experiment? We can compare notes in a couple of days and discuss with the devs problems we might encounter?

K

Keep It Real

I'll join ya Dutch, I have a computer here that has never had the game installed on it before. It's an older machine and I'm sure I will have to do all the extra updates from microsoft. Do you think your machine will have to do those as well? Be nice to get someone who does not need those to attempt this as well as and let us know what happens.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

I'll join ya Dutch, I have a computer here that has never had the game installed on it before. It's an older machine and I'm sure I will have to do all the extra updates from microsoft. Do you think your machine will have to do those as well? Be nice to get someone who does not need those to attempt this as well as and let us know what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, that's a good idea. I can run that off on my newly repaired laptop. It's just gotten a brand new hard drive so it should be pretty much TSO clear.

-I can get all my window updates/virus updates and such at the same time maybe.
(Oh, it's as old as my desktop. It has just about all the same stats as my desktop accept it does have a better vid card.)

Thanks KIR!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

consider what they lose because of those who have no choice but to cancel our accounts because we literally cannot play.

[/ QUOTE ]
So instead you are proposing they lose it all?
You have a choice whether to cancel your account or not so don't make it sound like EA is forcing you to do it.
<blockquote><hr>

this was my second weekend i could not log in even to a production city.

[/ QUOTE ]
How could making TC3 free have changed this?
<blockquote><hr>

yes, there are difficulties and growing pains to be expected, but why would i pay them for a game i can't even play?

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, because you have decided to.
<blockquote><hr>

from what i understand, we're not talking about alot here. i've heard our subscription fees don't even go to pay one salary.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard differently. Who's right? If you are, then that means there are less than 400 paid accounts.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

It wasn't in insult, Dutch.

I applaud Kir and Dutch for taking this tester endeavor on. Good luck, and I hope you are able to nail the problem.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, that's a good idea. I can run that off on my newly repaired laptop. It's just gotten a brand new hard drive so it should be pretty much TSO clear.

-I can get all my window updates/virus updates and such at the same time maybe.
(Oh, it's as old as my desktop. It has just about all the same stats as my desktop accept it does have a better vid card.)

Thanks KIR!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna play like someone who just found this download and chose to try out TSO. I'll only do as the game instructs a new player to do and nothing more. I'll even make it a trial account and see how long it takes to get the activation key email. After all isn't that what new players do?

And Dutch, happy to help, maybe we can get some good information this way and help newbie's get connected and play.

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

consider what they lose because of those who have no choice but to cancel our accounts because we literally cannot play.

[/ QUOTE ]
(1) So instead you are proposing they lose it all?
You have a choice whether to cancel your account or not so don't make it sound like EA is forcing you to do it.
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
(2) How could making TC3 free have changed this?
<blockquote><hr>

yes, there are difficulties and growing pains to be expected, but why would i pay them for a game i can't even play?

[/ QUOTE ]
(3) Again, because you have decided to.
<blockquote><hr>

from what i understand, we're not talking about alot here. i've heard our subscription fees don't even go to pay one salary.

[/ QUOTE ]
(4) I've heard differently. Who's right? If you are, then that means there are less than 400 paid accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) they will slowly lose it all anyway at this rate. and consider what they would gain, many new players! i did not mean to imply that ea was forcing me to pay or play

(2) making it free would not change the technical problems. but customers paying for a service expect to get service. whereas testers don't expect things such as weekend technical support

(3) well i'm about to decide not to. if the technical/support issues are bad enough as to cause customers such as myself, ones who love the game enough to have several accounts to cancel, how is that good for the game?

(4) i don't know who is right. but to be clear, i'm not dev/tso/ea bashing with this idea. this would not be the death of tso nor cause layoffs nor take food out of the mouths of their children. what it could do is preserve current subscribers whilst bring in new ones. i don't know how that can be construed as a bad thing.

G

The idea of TC3 being free is ludicrous. In order to have TC3 free, that would mean everyone would have to have two accounts, one for TC3, and one for the production cities/EALand. Why??? That would mean they would have to resetup all the accounts and that is like I said, LUDICROUS!!!

Like Polly said before that I quoted and will quote again:

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="red">Letting us play for free, is completely counter productive, when they are trying so hard to prove to EA Games that this can become a financially viable and self-supporting game.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

M

mariotso

well if it's all the same to you, i'll await the replies of those i directed the op to

M

MandiK

<blockquote><hr>

well if it's all the same to you, i'll await the replies of those i directed the op to

[/ QUOTE ]

I would post on the blog if you want direct answers from the Devs. Or visit the Pub to ask questions. Thats really the best &amp; fastest way to get answers

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

I would post on the blog if you want direct answers from the Devs. Or visit the Pub to ask questions. Thats really the best &amp; fastest way to get answers

[/ QUOTE ]

god i would soooo love to visit the pub, mandi. unfortunately, i'm one of those many players who have been unable to log in since saturday.

also, the blog topics are all not on this topic so i'm not sure where to post it. i think you're right though, i haven't had a reply to my technical support issue despite it being a regular work day, so i'm thinking they don't check this site, heh.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm I went to http://player.thesimsonline.ea.com/free_trial/download.jsp

And the download is missing.

I wonder if they are fixing it?
I'll have to check it again later.

Maybe I'll have to get to the pub tonight and see what's up with that.

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I also stated:

<blockquote><hr>

With all the updates and coding go on, you will not be able to get 'effective troubleshooting' from EA. You would need to go to the devs for it. I would suggest if you are continuing to have the log in problem that you im either Parizad or Lee Fancy here and give them a detailed description of what your problem is.

I had a problem updated my folder this past weekend. Said I didn't have a dll or something. I just 'deleted' the old folder and 'copied' a fresh copy of TSO and away I went.

I also have to wonder....didn't the update also update some of the graphics? Is it possible that some player's systems are not up-to-date enough to run the game? Though I can't imagine who could have a system older then mine but there might be some.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well all I can say is ty for the suggestion but I myself was finally able to back in to the game just yesterday, after spending since the last update not able to log in and spending all this time tryng to figure out wtf is wrong with it. (since we havent really been given any real help or told wtf they did to the files)

And just letting you know redownloading the game didnt help. Also Ive seen many people asking for help in here and not getting any other than people saying redownload the game and redo the shortcuts to tos.exe and the client, which many have found that it didnt help.

They messed up big time with that upgrade by messing up peoples tso.exe files. And yes Ive heard that they did say some peoples files got corrupted.
Once I redownloaded the game and did the update it messed right up again.I tried redoing my desktop shortcuts to tso.exe and my ones to the tsoclient and all I ended up with was either a log in loop or no option to go to TC3. Also I got a few time where as I started the log in it would boot me back out to desk. UGH

(The following attempt to fix my log in helped me and might help others but I cant guarantee that it will help anyone else)

This is how I got mine running: I redownload the game once again but this time made a copy of the tso.exe file (since that is what gets corrupted once you do the update) and put it in a safe file until after I did the updates. Then after the update I swapped out the tso.exe file with the one I had copied (the one in the safe file). Once I did that and again redid my desktop shortcuts to tso.exe and my ones to the tsoclient I was finally able to get into the game.

Its still not perfect but I can get into the production cities and I do get the log in option to TC3. When I go to log into AV it will go through 2 or 3 cycles loggin in before I finally get in. So there is still something wrong with the log in situation as it likes to cyle a few times.

I havent logged into TC3 though, Im afraid to hit that TC3 button, Ive heard others could get into the production cities but when they tried to go to TC3 their game just gets stuck in that log in loop permantly and then they cant get into the game at all.
And I dont want to spend hours redoing the whole game set up again at least not for now, I'd just rather play in AV and BF than not be able to play at all. Especially since I couldnt play for days. (needs my sim fix) lol

I did notice a change in the graphics although a minor change. I need to buy a new graphics card (mine has been on its way out for a while now) so I noticed the change. It made mine a bit jumpy at first but not bad.

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Did that too and it still messed up..just face the fact some people are having huge issues getting back in the game and EA isnt helping them with the problem.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Here's is the question of the day though:

Why is it that some TSO.exe were corrupted/messed up for some updaters and not for everyone?

Since there were so many complaints here about the update, I went in and tried the update myself to see. I have 4 folders and updated all 4 folders. The one folder I had a problem with I figured out was missing something from when I had copied it. In other words....my error. I had trouble updating my first folder. It didn't work and I was a bit miffed. But when I went back to read the instructions, I figured out that I did miss a step. Once I went back and did it step by step, I had no further problems.

So why are some missing it and some aren't?

What is different about what they down loaded as opposed to what we downloaded?

I'm sorry but I think it's a bit premature to pin this entire problem on EA. Granted you guys want a fix for it and I'm sure they are working on a 'fix'. They haven't posted it here but they are well aware that there are individual problems and they really are trying to work with individuals as quickly as they can.

M

mariotso

oh my goodness, bindy, those are some hoops you had to jump through to get in! what we won't do for our fixes, eh? lol

G

Hmmm are you sure that was me that said that? I don't remember saying that ! Sounds more like Gilly than me and besides - she's queen of smileys !!

Not paying for TC3 would be very complicated - many people have a sim in TC3 as well as the production cities, it would probably take too much resource to figure out who should be charged and who wouldn't. It would also more than likely create bad feeling amongst those that pay for their "normal" sims along with unfixed issues in production cities, while we get the good stuff in TC3.

Polly

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not how I read what was said.

I would say that if EA doesnt get on the stick and help customers with their log in problems, that they caused with that patch, then yeah a lot of people are going leave the game. And that would be EA's fault if people leave because they cant log in so why pay for a game you cant even get in to.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow full of understanding today arent you Milton. Why not try and give this person some help so they can play the game instead of nit picking at their post? :(

M

mariotso

i have to say, da, although this is off topic...our problem is their problem, cause if we can't get in we can't play and if we can't play we cancel and if we cancel they loose money.

i've played loads of mmos and your never expected to do anything more than download, register, and update. it's just not good to expect players to go to the lengths that bindy did to play! we're not programmers or techies, i don't know how to change files or even where they are. and i don't have room on my computer to keep two copies of a game should they screw the other one up. come on, already!

i think it's awesome that you're trying so hard, really i do. i wish the devs were trying even a drop as much as you were. here it is, 3pm on monday and still not one single word them, not even the courtesy of one word

ps. i meant not one word on the technical advice post, not re: tc3 being free

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

Here's is the question of the day though:

Why is it that some TSO.exe were corrupted/messed up for some updaters and not for everyone?

Since there were so many complaints here about the update, I went in and tried the update myself to see. I have 4 folders and updated all 4 folders. The one folder I had a problem with I figured out was missing something from when I had copied it. In other words....my error. I had trouble updating my first folder. It didn't work and I was a bit miffed. But when I went back to read the instructions, I figured out that I did miss a step. Once I went back and did it step by step, I had no further problems.

So why are some missing it and some aren't?

What is different about what they down loaded as opposed to what we downloaded?

I'm sorry but I think it's a bit premature to pin this entire problem on EA. Granted you guys want a fix for it and I'm sure they are working on a 'fix'. They haven't posted it here but they are well aware that there are individual problems and they really are trying to work with individuals as quickly as they can.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was that smart Id know why some had problems and some didnt. I wouldnt have had any problem loggin in and playing if I knew why. I wouldnt have spent days trying to find a way around the problems so I could play.

Yes we expect a fix since everything was fine logging in until that damn patch came out and messed everything up. Granted its pretty darn fishy why some didnt have problems and others still do!

After how many days its been since the patch and people still cant log on and you're really going to sit there and say "I'm sorry but I think it's a bit premature to pin this entire problem on EA." Well ok you be like that then, as for me Im hoping that EA finds the problem and fast before we lose even more players. (we cant afford to lose any or this game will be gone as well )

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

Hmmm are you sure that was me that said that? I don't remember saying that ! Sounds more like Gilly than me and besides - she's queen of smileys !!

Not paying for TC3 would be very complicated - many people have a sim in TC3 as well as the production cities, it would probably take too much resource to figure out who should be charged and who wouldn't. It would also more than likely create bad feeling amongst those that pay for their "normal" sims along with unfixed issues in production cities, while we get the good stuff in TC3.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO!!! That is too damn funny to me, LOL.

Yeah I agree with Polly on this, sure would make a mess of things if some got TC3 for free while others are stuck paying for it.

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

oh my goodness, bindy, those are some hoops you had to jump through to get in! what we won't do for our fixes, eh? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL hey I really wanted to play LOL

Im just lucky it worked enough to let me in, but its still not acting right when I do start to log in. It takes a while for it to do its little cycling first. eh I'll wait for it to cycle rather than not playing at all. LOL

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

TTL

Regarding free accounts: once we are all tucked away post merge, there will be free accounts. Or am I way behind the times? I thought the plan was to have several levels -- free, premium...and I think 3 other types were mentioned, as of now just twinkles in marketing's eyes. (This is what Lee said a while back, in the Pub, but things could have changed since then...)

I haven't been out much so my info is likely out of date. I stay in TC. Which is probably why I have been free of log problems?

M

mariotso

yes, my understanding is that its like second life where you play for free but don't get the benefits that subscribers do.

but my op is about, since we are for all intents and purposes beta testers now, it should be free now, like it was during the first beta. this would be good because it would keep existing players and bring in new ones.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

but my op is about, since we are for all intents and purposes beta testers now, it should be free now, like it was during the first beta. this would be good because it would keep existing players and bring in new ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling they are counting on access to EA games, custom content and the ability to sell simoleons to EA to be the enticement for players to try out EA Land.

I will be interested to see how busy TC3 remains once EA Land is established. Over the years I've always lived in Test Center, and saw the population there wax and wane depending on what was being tested (mostly wane). With custom content on the way, I think that will remove much of the incentive for people to remain in a test city to see new items.

I agree with your idea, on principle, but at this point EA has us all paying them to be their testers. If I was in their shoes I'd be hesitant to change that arrangement

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an idea. How about giving people a choice of either being a tester and playing TC3 for free or paying to play in the production cities? OR maybe the free accounts they will be offering can be in TC3 only?

And since you brought up the subject (which means I can't get yelled at for re-hashing an old subject)...Riddle me this...Since they have so many unfixed issues in production cities (which you yourself just pointed out or I wouldn't have brought it up again), why did they even start a TC3 instead of working on resolving the "unfixed issues" in the production cities first? Seems to me the production cities should've been a priority. They already have TC. What did they need to make a TC3 for? Seems a bit redundant to me and a huge waste of time when they could've been working on bugs in the production cities.

G

<blockquote><hr>

And since you brought up the subject (which means I can't get yelled at for re-hashing an old subject)...Riddle me this...Since they have so many unfixed issues in production cities (which you yourself just pointed out or I wouldn't have brought it up again), why did they even start a TC3 instead of working on resolving the "unfixed issues" in the production cities first? Seems to me the production cities should've been a priority. They already have TC. What did they need to make a TC3 for? Seems a bit redundant to me and a huge waste of time when they could've been working on bugs in the production cities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try, but 'why have a TC3 in the first place?' and 'how bout lets make TC3 a free server' are two very separate issues, so yeah, that would be rehashing old topics.

*insert KIR's dead horse smiley here*

(notice I didn't yell at you
but yep, you're 'BUSTED')

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
How could making TC3 free have changed this?
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard differently. Who's right? If you are, then that means there are less than 400 paid accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, Milton! I thought Moderators were supposed to keep the peace, not belittle posters. You totally twisted everything that this poster said. 1. They weren't saying changing TC3 to a free account would change the fact that they couldn't log in for two weekends. They said they couldn't log in for two weekends and were complaining that they were paying for a game they can't play. They never said EA/Maxis was forcing them to cancel. Just that there is no point in continuing if they can't log in. Yes, we ultimately decide to play or not, but I think their post meant, but EA has tech people. Therfore, they should be able to figure otu what is going on, therefore making it their fault.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

TC3 is in a new and better game code. The new code will make it easier for the devs to update or fix the game when necessary.

The priority isn't in 'fixing' the old cities. The old cities have outlasted their welcome and pretty much no longer exist. Instead of just 'shutting down' the cities and forcing everyone to start of in EAland, the devs are helping to preserve as much as we can.

Don't know why I really responded because this is a subject that has been beaten to death like that 'beat a dead horse' smiley (insert that smiley here).

As for making TC3 free, I disagree. I think 'test cities' should be for paying subscriptions. Most online games with 'test sites', only offer test accounts to their 'paying' subscribers. When sites need more testers, they will invite more in or offer 'temporary' test passes to member when they want to 'load/stress' test their games.

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

As for making TC3 free, I disagree. I think 'test cities' should be for paying subscriptions. Most online games with 'test sites', only offer test accounts to their 'paying' subscribers. When sites need more testers, they will invite more in or offer 'temporary' test passes to member when they want to 'load/stress' test their games.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it were a typical test center, i would agree, da. but while tc3 may be called test center 3, is more like a beta. ea land will be a completely different game than tso was. i think that much we can agree on.

making it free would be a huge show of gratitude on ea's part for us helping them test the game, putting up with technical issues during the growing pains, and bring new players/life/blood to the game.

ot: does anyone know if the devs read these forums? thanks

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

if it were a typical test center, i would agree, da. but while tc3 may be called test center 3, is more like a beta. ea land will be a completely different game than tso was. i think that much we can agree on.

making it free would be a huge show of gratitude on ea's part for us helping them test the game, putting up with technical issues during the growing pains, and bring new players/life/blood to the game.

ot: does anyone know if the devs read these forums? thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Mariotso. I didn't pay when I was a beta tester way back when. Why should I pay to test stuff now? That just isn't right in my book. And I also agree it would bring more players to the game.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I've been honored with a couple of Test Account invitations on a couple of games.Toontown and Pirates of the Caribbean are my most recent experiences. TC3 is going to be a lot busier in the next few years. The players in TC3 will have a front seat to trying out all the 'new stuff' coming our way and thus TC3 will become very popular probably. So yeah, I think paid accounts should have access to it.

But hey? if we want to get technical....TC3 is free muahahaha!!!

We still have all our cities and betaville. In addition to those cities, we now have TC3...an additional city. They did not raise our fees for the extra city and extra sims so consider TC3 free.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

They aren't billing me anything extra to play in TC3.

M

mariotso

but to play in tc3 you have to pay for an account. the idea is that tc3 would be free for everyone, like beta testers until ea land is open, even those who don't have existing accounts, thus bringing in new people. hope that clears it up for you, da

G

To answer a question raised here, yes the developers very definitely read these forums.

Polly