• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Suggestion] Targeting and few misc suggestions.

D

Dain

I have been playing with the new UOSA Client for the past few days soley in a PvP format and there are a few major grievances I have encountered.

1. I think targeting ones self should be separate from "Target Last". For example when in a PvP battle and your opponent is set as your last target, casting any spell or targeting yourself suddenly changes your last to yourself. Where as with the targeting UOA offered, targeting yourself remained separate of "last target". I think this is an extremely important aspect that in itself almost makes UOSA useless for realer PvPers.

2. I think the inability to get clear and easy to read figures of your characters status and mods (like resists, HP etc, weight etc) is a major problem; for me anyway. I am aware that you can get the numbers to show on your personal health bar but they are small, unclear and they only show HP, Mana and Stam. I do know that the character sheet exists but I don't have space for it on my window personally and I find that it is delayed from real time quite a bit.

3. As a PvPer as predominately a mage timing is everything and little things really start to add up and become a real inconvenience. One of the things that really bugged me is that many of the windows and even health bars require clicking on a cross in order to close them instead of just being able to right click.

4. I am sure this has been mentioned before but the lag I experience when going near houses with large numbers of vendors or are highly decorative is severe compared to that of 2D client users. I run the UOSA client on medium graphic setting and am using a rather powerful PC.

5. Probably the most annoying and inhibiting aspect of the new client is the fact that many of the health bars and spells/action have a delay to them. Its not significant but I definitely noticeable. At first I thought that it was just me not use to the new client but I set up an experiment with another computer and another account on the legacy client and found that there were delays in movement, casting, health bars and movement of objects which are not present in the Legacy client.

6. The UOSA Client offers many targeting options that try to compensate for the lack of UOA but myself as a PvPer hate the queued targeting feel to the new system and really wish that there was a way to have the freedom of Legacy targeting yet contain some of the function of the new system like target self and last target on mouse wheel.

Few other annoying things like my inability to find a way to change the text font, major bugs when changing between legacy and UOSA container settings, major graphics glitches when running around at high speeds (for example, when chasing someone through a forest in fell they suddenly appeared as a little naked man running around at the same speed as me on a mount, i know this has been mentioned numerous times).

Also, dislike the way items are layered in legacy setting containers, like if there is an item under another yet is still visable, I often have to move the on top item to get to the one underneath, despite being able to see it. Kind of feels like items take up an area or tile around them and anything under that area is not targetable.

Probably some obvious solutions to some of my problems so sorry in advance ^^

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you using legacy or SA targeting? I have spells I want to use on myself set to hot bars or macros with the setting 'target self' that way they don't change the 'last target' that I'm attacking.
Not sure if that's helpful or not, I don't pvp and have never used 'queue target' in uoa.

D

Dain

Are you using legacy or SA targeting? I have spells I want to use on myself set to hot bars or macros with the setting 'target self' that way they don't change the 'last target' that I'm attacking.
Not sure if that's helpful or not, I don't pvp and have never used 'queue target' in uoa.
I am currently swapping between the two clients, trying to find some compromises hehe.

Adding additional macros is something I explored but I think that it again adds a damper onto time as I have almost all buttons used and an additional set of macros for healing spells would have to be all cntrl alt shift this and that.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you normally cast those spells? double click the icon and target?

If yes, drop the spell in a hotbar, set the target to 'self' but don't set a hotkey. Then clicking on it in the bar will trigger the spell and target you.

I have recall in a hotbar, as I'd normally have the icon on my desktop, but I set it to 'target stored' so instead of click icon target book, I click icon and just go to the default of the book.

D

Dain

Haha yeah I get what you mean, and it is a viable solution but I do strongly prefer not to have to have two sets of macros, one set for healing self and another that doesn't have a set target, it just takes up more hotkeys and is more to remember in my old age!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm lost, how do you normally cast those spells?

and btw, that last solution doesn't use hot keys, to use it you just click on the icon on your desktop.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think most people cast the spell and then hit a macro for either target self or target last. That is why a lot of people are complaining about target last becoming yourself, you already have a target self macro.

They call it "Legacy Targeting" but it doesn't seem to be the case. There are currently 2 targeting systems in 2D, of which I and many others use the "Legacy-Legacy" one. Not the TargetNext, TargetPrevious, and whatever. The true original system doesn't appear to exist at the moment.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you normally cast those spells? double click the icon and target?

If yes, drop the spell in a hotbar, set the target to 'self' but don't set a hotkey. Then clicking on it in the bar will trigger the spell and target you.

I have recall in a hotbar, as I'd normally have the icon on my desktop, but I set it to 'target stored' so instead of click icon target book, I click icon and just go to the default of the book.
The reason you have to you use the old legacy targeting system in PVP is because you hardly ever want to actually use the spell immediately, timing is everything. Also the text is way too small, i have 20 20 vision and i'd like the text 400% larger please.

O

Old Man of UO

2. I think the inability to get clear and easy to read figures of your characters status and mods (like resists, HP etc, weight etc) is a major problem; for me anyway. I am aware that you can get the numbers to show on your personal health bar but they are small, unclear and they only show HP, Mana and Stam. I do know that the character sheet exists but I don't have space for it on my window personally and I find that it is delayed from real time quite a bit.

One solution for number 2 at least, create a new hot bar, open your character stats, and drag the ones you want to see onto the hot bar. I keep weight, gold, luck and Followers on a small hot bar near my health bar.

Now, a better solution can be found with Mods once we can use those. One of the mods for example, would also show percent health under all health bars... a really nice feature. Need to cast WOD when your target has less than 10% health? No guessing!

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yet another UOA feature missing, "range check last target" this is incredibly important in pvp as people run off when you cast a spell and then if they get a bit too far, you have to cast the spell again? brilliant.

Also, is it a bug that I can run as fast as a speedhacker on legacy with SA or are you supposed to be able to run faster in SA?

T

TheGrayGhost

Yet another UOA feature missing, "range check last target" this is incredibly important in pvp as people run off when you cast a spell and then if they get a bit too far, you have to cast the spell again? brilliant.

Also, is it a bug that I can run as fast as a speedhacker on legacy with SA or are you supposed to be able to run faster in SA?
This would be part of the performance boost. This was one of the things I liked about KR, things were faster. Char movement, actions, macro's, etc. After playing KR for awhile 2D just felt so sluggish in all respects which is why I could never go back. Plus having the ability to use WASD and have it feel fluid so that I can use my mouse to click items and macro's in my hotbar. SA I can use due to these features and there responsiveness, I am not sure I can ever go back to the legacy client lol.

As far as the OP goes, you don't have to but if you would give the following a try.

Set Movement to WASD in your imput bindings. Set Target nearest enemy to E, next enemy to R. This free's up your mouse. Next drag the target portait over to the side of your screen. Add a hotbar for the things you wish to use against enemies there.

Next put your own portait somewhere out of the way but where you can see it. Add a hotbar with things you want to use against yourself. Have these all set to target self.

Lastly make one more bar for things you want to use on friendly players, such as cross healing, raise, invisy, greater heal, etc. Have it set to target cursor. This bar can be over the list of party members, or you can drag health bars under it, or you can simply target them. Which ever is easier.

For me this has worked better than when I was using UOA. A lot better because it's faster and generally more reliable.

It will take some getting use to if you aren't familiar with FPS games and newer MMO's but it works great.

D

Dain

One solution for number 2 at least, create a new hot bar, open your character stats, and drag the ones you want to see onto the hot bar. I keep weight, gold, luck and Followers on a small hot bar near my health bar.

Now, a better solution can be found with Mods once we can use those. One of the mods for example, would also show percent health under all health bars... a really nice feature. Need to cast WOD when your target has less than 10% health? No guessing!
I was actually totally unaware that this was possible, it's not quite as clear and practical as say the Legacy expanded gump was, but it's def an improvement from the UOSA personal gump.

BTeng_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They call it "Legacy Targeting" but it doesn't seem to be the case. There are currently 2 targeting systems in 2D, of which I and many others use the "Legacy-Legacy" one. Not the TargetNext, TargetPrevious, and whatever. The true original system doesn't appear to exist at the moment.
I just want to clarify: Our intent is to emulate the "Legacy-Legacy" one with the Legacy Targeting option.

"Legacy-New" seems unnecessary to implement because the non-Legacy Targeting option in the enhanced client covers much of that ground already and adding in a third targeting system is overkill.

What we imported into Legacy Targeting are (text in parenthesis as macros in the Classic client):
- Cursor Target Last (LastTarget)
- Cursor Target Self (TargetSelf)
- Cycle Last Cursor Target (TargetNext)
- Attack Last Cursor Target (AttackLast)

What I consider grounds already covered for "Legacy-New" in the non-Legacy Targeting option of the enhanced client (text in parenthesis as macros in the Classic client):
- Target Next (SelectNext)
- Target Previous (SelectPrevious)
- Target Nearest (SelectNearest)
- Attack Current Target (AttackSelectedTarget)
- Use Targeted Object (UseSelectedTarget)
- Current Target (CursorTargetCurrent)

Our goal is to get Legacy Targeting in the enhanced client as close as possible to "Legacy-Legacy". If there are quirks that you are noticing, post as much detail as possible about it such as how it works in the classic client and what you end up seeing in the enhanced client.

There are already a few things on our list to fix. The TargetLast/TargetSelf issue mentioned in the beginning of this thread. The delays in a macro between activation of a spell/item and cursor targeting.