taming with necro

• Thread starter Alex the Gray
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
  • Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
A

Alex the Gray

Im still new to the skill and learning, my points are up in the 80's. My question mostly concerns taming bake. When I was using death adder, I simply clicked twice on a giant serpent or snake, and was asked what I wanted it to kill.
With the bake however it is different. I am asked "tame"? If I try to tame it, I anger the beast and we fight. I have never successfully tamed one before it is dead. I have 90 ss, 80 something necro, am running a human, and do have my dark wolf in place. Am I missing something? Is there a technique here that I am unaware of? At zero taming difficulty, why am I angering it? My karma? Should I go positive karma before the attempt? That just doesn't sound right.
Any help would sure be appreciated.

Jolt

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
You're not doing anything wrong. It happens when taming the majority of the high end pets from drakes to cu sidhes. Basically these powerful animals aren't inclined to become your slave easily so the majority of taming attempts result in the beast becoming angry.

The best way to tame one would be:

-Attack the bake and let it dump all it's mana on you. Some people also like to nuke it down to low health aswell, but I prefer not to.
-Stand 1 square away from the bake you're about to tame, so you're close, but not actually in melee range.
-Spam a macro for 'Use Skill Taming' > 'Last Target' until you get the *You start to tame a...* text. It can often take a dozen or more tries.
-Let the taming process run out, while staying as close as possible to the bake without being in melee range (one square in between is perfect, but two is ok). You'll probably find yourself walking away from the bake with it following very closely behind you as you tame it. This is lead taming.

If you damage the creature in the taming process then your tame will fail, so it's a good idea to equip a weapon you're not proficient in so you miss if you ever accidently slip into melee range and take a swing. Luckily bakes aren't so tough in melee combat, so if you take a hit or two yourself you should still be ok. It's going to continue to cast on you while you tame so make sure you're on full health before you start, and an orange petal (or vamp form as you're a necro) is good too.

It can be tricky at first, but isn't so bad once you get the hand of it.

A

Alex the Gray

Thank you very much. That answers a host of questions and helps a great deal.