• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming Training Question

Endal

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hey there, I saw that at the higher levels that I should be working on taming Bulls and Ridgebacks. I heard about the place in Illeshar that lets me tame the Ridgebacks easily (so long as I have the paint on). If I slap on some jewelry could I go from 50-120 with just the Ridgebacks?

I'm just around 60 Taming after four days (one hour per day) of taming and I've got two +13 items that will get me up to around 86, which is well within the taming range of the Bulls, so it should work for the Ridgebacks, too. Should I slap on some paint and bring along a couple/few bigger pets (I've been using Polar Bears) to cull the herd and train there until I'm where I want to be?

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Why don't you want to earn money while training taming? Somewhere about 300-400k per hour.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey there, I saw that at the higher levels that I should be working on taming Bulls and Ridgebacks. I heard about the place in Illeshar that lets me tame the Ridgebacks easily (so long as I have the paint on). If I slap on some jewelry could I go from 50-120 with just the Ridgebacks?

I'm just around 60 Taming after four days (one hour per day) of taming and I've got two +13 items that will get me up to around 86, which is well within the taming range of the Bulls, so it should work for the Ridgebacks, too. Should I slap on some paint and bring along a couple/few bigger pets (I've been using Polar Bears) to cull the herd and train there until I'm where I want to be?
I honestly wouldn't recommend ridgebacks these days.You can get gains from them, but there are many better and safer options. There is no need to just train on one creature from 60-120 though :) You will bore yourself senseless and start dreaming about ridgebacks if you don't mix it up a bit! Trust me, I did dream about taming a lot when I trained my first tamer hehehe.

I'd recommend that you train on the creatures listed in the FAQ. You just hop to the spawn location, tame the appropriate creatures and set it to kill your pet or a nearby healer or monster. I use healers a lot of the time because it's easy to find a healer around most of the spawns.

When I trained my first tamer, ridgebacks were really about the best option you had over 105, but my subsequent tamers trained on the FAQ list then at around 105 real skill I put on some taming jewels and worked the cu sidhe spawn. Firstly, the gains at that level are really slow, so it was better to be doing something more interesting. Secondly, I made a lot of gold selling the nicer dogs and working the spawn. Thirdly it's often a good place to train other skills especially barding. So that's what I do instead of ridgebacks. Basically use your tamer as a tamer. My favourite thing with that spawn is that I can spend a bit of time taming, then kill swoop a bit, maybe work some of the other spawns and all without leaving that area.

The safer alternative to that is bulls, if I'm in a hurry I recall to Jhelom farm and get bulls there. You can mix in some ridgeback taming if you like too. I don't bother with savage paint, ever. I don't go into the savage camp, I used to tame the herd out in the open by the little pool. I took a nightmare with me to kill any savages or other nasties. You can also use the dire wolves to kill your tames. But it's pretty safe there and you can collect savage berries if any of the savages come to visit you.

Hope that's helped you a bit :)

Wenchy

Last edited:

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

Just use Taming SOTS... @ 60 tame (real) and less than 350 skill points in total on your char, you will get a GGS of between 0.1 and 0.5 every 55mins. When you've hit the gain, log out and the SOT timer (15mins) stops... Rinse and repeat. There is a guide on here for what the time frame is for GGS per real skill and you can 120 tame in about 10 days using as little as 6 SOTS if you get your timings right :)

Good luck if you choose this way.... Anything has to be better than the current grind!

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Just use Taming SOTS... @ 60 tame (real) and less than 350 skill points in total on your char, you will get a GGS of between 0.1 and 0.5 every 55mins. When you've hit the gain, log out and the SOT timer (15mins) stops... Rinse and repeat. There is a guide on here for what the time frame is for GGS per real skill and you can 120 tame in about 10 days using as little as 6 SOTS if you get your timings right :)

Good luck if you choose this way.... Anything has to be better than the current grind!
Sorry meant SOA's... SOT's are for bumping your skill and the latter is for boasting your skill gain when training. I would've just edit my orginal post, but this site doesn't allow that for strange reason :)