• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Taming Guide

• Thread starter imported_Hinotori
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
I

imported_Hinotori

With me being asked by several people in the last few weeks what to tame at what level, I started writing up my own taming guide to help them out. I figured I'd post it here as well to be of help to any who need it.

Here is the taming guide I always use for when I'm training up new tamers. It is just a guide. I've notices some of the tamers I've done could stay taming lower creatures for longer and still get great gains. Others had to start taming higher creatures to get the gains. If you can't get the gains or are in a bad spot (55-65), put on some jewelry to move you up into a different taming bracket.

The best gains are gotten from creatures that have a minimum taming requirement 20 points below your taming.

If you can't tame the creatures quick enough, tame something else a little easier. The idea is to tame as many creatures as fast as you can.

0-30....Small creatures - dogs, cats, rats, birds, rabbits, gorrillas, mongbats.
.................Moonglow around the moongate is a good location
30-40...Sheep, cows, goats, pigs, eagles
.................Jhelom farms, Delucia, Yew sheep pens are good
40-50...Timberwolves, llamas, forest ostards, boar, hind, horse
.................Moonglow from around moongate and south to the mage shop
50-60...Polar bear, walrus, llama, black bear
.................Dagger Isle (Ice Island), Jehlom farms
60-70...Brown bear, alligator, scorpion, cougar, snow leopards
.................Compassion desert for scorpions, Moonglow by Zoo for brown bears, Dagger Isle (Ice Island) for snow leopards
70-80...Deathwatch beetle, snow leopards, giant spider, grizzly bear, panther, great hart, grey wolf
.................Spirituality for grizzly, outside Delucia for harts, Dagger Isle for snow leopards
80-90...White wolf, great hart, grizzly bear, bull, greater mongbat, small hellcat, gaman
.................Dagger Isle for wolves, Delucia for harts and bulls, Jhelom farms for bulls, Tokuno Islands for gaman (Homare-Jima moongate is best)
90-100..Bull, small hellcat, gaman, frenzied ostards
..................Jhelom farms & Delucia for bulls, Tokuno for Gaman
100-110..Hellhound, bake kitsune, predator hellcat, ridgeback
..................Fire dungeon for hellhounds and hellcat, Tokuno (Homare-Jima) in the Kitsune woods for kitsune, hellhounds and hellcats, Savage Village in central Illshenar and the lakes north of it for ridgebacks
110-120..Dragon, swamp dragon, dire wolf, imp, nightmare, unicorn, ki-rin, ridgeback, white wyrm, rune beetle, bake kitsune, cu sidhe, hiryu (pretty much any high end tamable you can tame fast)
..................Savage Village for ridgebacks, Malas unicorn and ki-rin spawn, Ki-rin passage for nightmares and ki-rin, Illshenar Spirituality forest for unicorns, Kitsune Wood for kitsune, Twisted Weald for cu sidhe
If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to add them. Taming guides are always in need of addendums and updates. For more help on what to tame I found that The Taming Archive is a wonderful web site. Their What do I tame? calculator is wonderful for pinpointing what you should use and is still useful even though it is out of date. You can find the calculator here --> http://www.tamingarchive.com/main/whattotame.php

E

eightonefive

this should be updated, kirins at 95 skill level, especially since they are non aggressive.

T

Tazar

I like the list, but what do we tame between 50 and 60? (seems to be a gap there).

I

imported_EnigmaMaitreya

50-60

Dagger/Ice Island - Polar Bears and / or Walrus.

I

imported_Hinotori

DOH! I DID forget 50-60. And it's the hardest to gain in I feel. Last tamer I tossed on jewels and did a higher catagory.

Sorry, I'd just got back from a cross country move and hadn't been able to even read here for well over a month.

I fixed the first post. Yes, polar bears and walrus are the best things for that level.

Ki-rin may be non-agressive but at 95.1 to attempt to tame, you fail way to much to get good fast gains off them. Put on jewelry to take you higher and you can very effectivly use them. I got pretty fast gains from 115 to 120 from Unicorns which are the same tame requirement. Was getting a full point of gains a night when I did that char. I'm only just now taking another tamer up to 120 but she's on the slow track while I finish my new begger since I accidently deleted my other one.

B

bobo66

all i do is bulls and ridgebacks im at 118.8 now and i gain good some times i let my pet kill me and i do gain after that. also i have lore lock at 110 i gain 3 or 4 gains in lore then arrow down and i do gain good in taiming for the past 2 months taiming 3 and 4 hours from 102 to now

W

WidowMak3r

ive used ridge backs from like 80 with taming jewelry to get me to about 101 seems to be the butter zone for anyone looking for a quik way to get to 100 just get some tribal paint and go to the village currently at 96 wish me LUCK!

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the new changes to pets upon tame, the savage village isn't the awesome place it used to be. Pet's turn green (if guilded) just as soon as you tame them, setting you as the controller. If the pet actually hits a savage, your paint will blow up. And they stay on the control flag for a few after you release them.

W

WidowMak3r

all ya u have to do to counter this is all stay or all follow me and they will not hit the savages

K

Kotetsu MPG

After gong to Dagger Island for the Walrus' , I stayed and ended on white wolves at 115. I heard that you can use them to take you to 120. Reason enough to get a scroll since I live there.

N

Naigen

im at 96.7 at the moment and ive been taming white wolves since its been recomended by uoguide however the guide in this post tells me to tame bulls?

so any idea which guide i should follow?

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did white wolves once to get to GM. That was back in 98. It was so stupidly slow I've never touched a wolf again. I've used that method above for 6 other tamers successfully, though.

There is also http://www.tamingarchive.com. It's old and not updated with current tamables, but it does still work for taming gains. Gives you exactly what you need to be taming. Look at the "What Do I Tame Calculator"

I

IgorBR

Is this right?

I saw another guide that says Polar Bears from 60 to 70.

And its working for me. Few hours and I am 65...

Whats better: polar bears/walrus or the animals in THIS guide?

Thanks.

O

omgmir

I did white wolves once to get to GM. That was back in 98. It was so stupidly slow I've never touched a wolf again. I've used that method above for 6 other tamers successfully, though.

There is also http://www.tamingarchive.com. It's old and not updated with current tamables, but it does still work for taming gains. Gives you exactly what you need to be taming. Look at the "What Do I Tame Calculator"
The thing about the taming archive calculator is it was made back when you could get gains off failures. So blowing 10 attempts trying to tame something was no problem as that was 10 chances to get a skill gain. It doesn't work that way anymore, so that info is probably slightly off.