• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamer(bard) without VET - Logistics?

sterger7

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So...was hoping from some input from someone that's tried.

I'm pondering the following template
120 magery (+15 from spellbook)
120 Lore (+5 from talisman)
120 Taming (+5 from talisman)
120 Music
120 Provo
120 Discord
25 Veterinary

"side equipment used ONLY for resing with 80 minimum skill"
+20 bracelet +20 ring +15 fishing pole = 80 total Veterinary when I need to res G-Dragon

Yes it's tweaked, and the idea here is using 120 magery skill as the sole form of heal on discorded or provoked
monsters. I would be running a maxed out luck suit with the above setup. Swapping out the vet
gear only when I need to res my own pet.

The question here is. I like to gather more than just the 1 or 2 opinions I've had so far. Can the
120 magery "keep up" with heals on the bigger boss fights I'd want/be able to do with this guy?
given a very nice luck/mana/mana regen leathers, aka great mana pool?

Has anyone else ever actually done this? Yes I know I could "stone" on provo or something when I need it
but this build let's me have both, and I could stone in peace when I need it for maximum efficiency.

Experienced opinions welcomed.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Some thoughts:

1. Do you really need 120 Taming / 120 Lore while fighting monsters?
  2. A Mana Phasing Orb might help you with Lower Mana Cost, Mana Regeneration. Put your taming talisman into your bank box until you need it.
  3. Where do you get a +20 Vet Ring & Bracelet?
  4. Are you sure you need 120 Magery?
  5. Have you considered healing through your provocation mastery?

sterger7

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1: You tell me? G-dragons can fail commands if they're lower in animal lore right? In practice what do you guys all
feel is a high enough lore/taming if you are farming bosses and areas with a g-dragon? If i could be happy with 110 taming
120 animal lore then i wouldn't need the special +20 jewels i could drop those to 15, etc etc for vet when the pet dies.

2: Yeah this is doable, if I can shave some skills elsewhere without sacrificing functionality.

3: +20 skill jewelry can sometimes come off shame drops. Pretty rare and hard to find I'm sure. Fishing pole is the other 15, again crafted with like heartwood saws would eventually get one. No easy chore.

4: the 120 magery was an assumption for 'extra healing' since magery will be my only source of healing (with 0 vet) I've read
numerous things now about people saying they heal only with magery so this should be doable. Do i need 120? I don't know.
I will be using a +15 book to allow myself a higher base vet skill to hit that 80 when pet is dead.

5: The masteries are new to me. I've heard they are crazy mana intensive. So I'm not sure what or how this works but
I'm all ears :) I think I can get 190 luck on 5 of my main leathers, and just stack all kind of mana bonus int bonus and regen
bonuses on them.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I am glad to see you still eager to play through this very game.

1. Pet Power Calculator says 110/110 is enough for 99% control chance. You won't get 100%, sadly. http://www.uocraft.com/taming/pet-control-chance-calculator/
  2. Thank you very much. That's 1.5m, please. No refunds.
  3. Very nice. Did not know that.
  4. Very well. I don't know anything else to say.
  5. There is a decent calculator for Mana Regeneration on knuckleheads.dk: http://www.knuckleheads.dk/manaregen.php (another official fansite) I love the bard masteries very much. I often use the provocation one for healing my pets. It is not always enough. I can keep one of the masteries up for several minutes without meditation and without the focus skill if I wear some amount of Mana Regeneration.
  6. You never answered question #6 :-(

Last edited:

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Oh, stable slots are a big issue if you go below 120 / 120 / 120. I sometimes use jewelry and a soulstone for that reason, just to get more pets into the stables.

sterger7

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks so much for the info. it seems like i can shave 20 points off taming/lore to be at 110...which...well that's huge. I'm not a 'tamer' im a killer. I always buy my pets, and just use them to kill 99% is good enough for me ;) I'll have to figure out the taming slots i'd have with 110/110 and go from there hehe

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You will need more skill points for Dread Warhorses and Bane Dragons. Consult the above mentioned calculator for more information. I think with 115/110 you should be at 99%.

Last edited:

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"side equipment used ONLY for resing with 80 minimum skill"
+20 bracelet +20 ring +15 fishing pole = 80 total Veterinary when I need to res G-Dragon
At minimum Vetrinary Skill (80) you will be failing alot. You may want to character copy some Enhanced Bandages (from the Fountain of Life) over to Test Center, to see if they will help improve your chances to ressurect the pet.

http://www.uoguide.com/Enhanced_Bandage

Stayin Alive,

BG

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd take a chunk of skill from your magery, my dual bard tamer runs around with 85 most of the time, just carrying an item if she wants a boost to GM. But in a tight template I would really cut back on magery first.

With taming/lore, I hate having command failures, so I'd really go for 99% control, but for most tamers 110/110 is more than adequate to get that. It depends what item slots you have available too. If you only use a pet occasionally then look to using an item The only time I tend to boost to a full 120 is to tame new pets, then I drop skill back to my control level. Keep a few jewels at the bank for when you need to stable more pets ;)

Without meditation, I find masteries just eat my mana. Which can put you in danger if you can't heal or invis for lack of mana! So I don't tend to use them much, which means I can boost up skills and I don't need to invest a full 120 in real skill. I'd try on test centre and see how you like them before you commit. And it's not as if they can't work at lower skill levels, you just get a less powerful result.

Now the vet thing... I'd factor some more vetting in. You don't have meditation so casting heals won't be feasible for more than a short burst. Then if pets die you're stuffed ;) So I'd go for 100 vet if you can squeeze it in. Then you can keep pets alive and rez them when it goes wrong. Which it will. To be blunt, as soon as you add provo to a template you open up the box of chaos and hilarious death sequences. That's the best bit of the skill. But you'll miss your pets as tanks if they die, so I'd keep vet. At least try it and see, you can always soulstone it off and then it's at home for those "little accidents" hehe.

Wenchy

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would think if you are looking at healing almost exclusively with magery, going to 120 is obviously your best bet.

If you are talking about switching out gear and all that jazz just for rezzing, then maybe instead you could drop the 25 points of vet and stone off 80+ for when you actually need it? The negative to that, though, is having to return home to swap out skills. Maybe you are trying to avoid this at all costs? If you stoned vet altogether, I could see trying to run the following:

120 magery
110 taming
110 lore
120 music
120 provo
120 discord
50 meditation, to keep that mana regen as high as possible to spam g heals, blesses, cures, any masteries, etc.

That's 750 points, so you would be running +15 in the ring and bracelet, each.

sterger7

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually what I'm attempging is this:

110 Taming
110 Lore
120 Music
120 Provo
120 Disco
115 Magery
25 Vet
120 Peace (stoned off/in as I need)

110/110 taming/lore gives 99% control on a g-dragon which is/should be the same as 120/120. I'm not looking to 'tame'
g-dragons just control them at 99% This gives me 20 points in vent on the way towards 80 (with items) for a res.
115 Magery: This gives me another 5 free points for a total of 25 in vet (towards 80 with items) for a res. I only lose like
2 HP on a greater heal dropping this down 5 points.

Items: +20 Veterinary ring(already have) +20 vet bracelet (need) +15 vet fishing pole (can make) = 55 + 25 = 80

80 Vet gives me roughly 20-25% chance to res...good enough. I swap these items on and res if my pet dies.

Things you've mentioned: Mana regen.
Well my luck suit is 2250 and I have major major +int and +mana regen, it is/will be pretty elite suit. Maybe I won't
be able to run 'masteries' unless i give up some luck and get even more regen, I don't know. Or I can stone out
things to run masteries with focus/med in the build for group stuff, we'll just have to see. Many tamers talk about
not using vet to heal, and just magery so clearly it can work. I think the key is having an 'elite' dragon that takes
much less (mine's a 4.4) for example damage. We'll see how it works :)

Matty O No

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It looks like u have 720 skill listed as real skill. With jewelry, mark of travesty, the birds talisman you can lower real skill of the listed skills and raise vet up a bit since u don't have the bracelet.

Ps I have a 20 vet cursed brace on PAC