• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Tamer/Bard vs Legendary Mage

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
How much more effective is the Tamer/Bard for treasure mapping? My template for Mage is 100 in Cart/Lockpicking/Scribe/Eval/Resist, 120 Magery/Meditation, slayer books.

Method for lvl 5 and 6:
Precast 2 EV dig up chest, invis, recall 3 screens away. Come back, reapply EV as needed, nuke

Method for lvl 4: 2 EV, chest up, invis, nuke <I mean I just stay mounted, move away a bit, and cast on the spawn.

Method for level 3 and below: Just dig and destroy. <-these you don't even have to move. EV and a few quick casts is good to go.

All levels: 2 EV up while picking through chest.

lvl 6 takes a while and I have only done malas and tram on those. Lvl 7, once. A malas map. I was afraid I was going to lose the chest. Those Minotaur Generals chase you long time. The undead spawn is cannon fodder. Demons pretty easy too. Minotaurs are the suck.

Generally I stuck with level 5 and below, leaning heavily to 4 and below. Sure lvl 1 and 2 loot was weak, but when you can 1 or 2 cast, and all the guardians are dead, its quick. That describes my experiences with TH Magery. How much more effective at Thunting, (faster at killing) is the Tamer/Bard ? I realize there is a lot I could pull off with a TB that I cant with my Mage. I do not have anything else to put on him, so I leave cart and lockpick on, yeah thats not optimal caster.

V/R
Loren

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I use a tamer, wouldn't even really call him a mage/tamer and I can solo level 6 and level 7 as long as they aren't in Tram or Fel due to the Frost Dragons.

110 Tame
110 Lore
110 Vet
100 Magery
90 Med (for the few times I need to heal with magery)
100 Cart
100 Lockpick

I have thought about dropping med and picking up spellweaving or stoning cart and pick up spellweaving and then decode a bunch of maps and put on SW to fight spawn.

I find the spot and do a partial dig to see where it is going to pop, then mark a rune near it. I run a few screens and mark another rune in a "safe zone" and recall back to dig up the chest. As I am digging, I precast recall and hover over the safe rune and recall there when the guardians spawn. I then invis and take my greater dragon near the chest and pull one or two at a time to clear the spawn. Easy Peesy Lemon Squeezy!

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I use a tamer, wouldn't even really call him a mage/tamer and I can solo level 6 and level 7 as long as they aren't in Tram or Fel due to the Frost Dragons.

110 Tame
110 Lore
110 Vet
100 Magery
90 Med (for the few times I need to heal with magery)
100 Cart
100 Lockpick

I have thought about dropping med and picking up spellweaving or stoning cart and pick up spellweaving and then decode a bunch of maps and put on SW to fight spawn.

I find the spot and do a partial dig to see where it is going to pop, then mark a rune near it. I run a few screens and mark another rune in a "safe zone" and recall back to dig up the chest. As I am digging, I precast recall and hover over the safe rune and recall there when the guardians spawn. I then invis and take my greater dragon near the chest and pull one or two at a time to clear the spawn. Easy Peesy Lemon Squeezy!
Sounds good. I think I will continue working the skills for that template. Sounds like it takes roughly same amount of time to clear 5 and below, but much quicker for your build style to handle 6/7.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I don't need mining, never have. :D

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I've been thinking about this some more. Tamer + X seems to be the way to go, and I can build my own suits. Should X go Bard, Archer, Necor, or Chiv? Or something else? I have soulstones to swap out for mining/LP as needed, Cart will be on separate toon altogether. I have thought about SW for X as well, if the self res will work on pet?

Loren

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Ok. I came up with a template I want to try, mostly since I do not want to give up 120 Magery. I am sold on the idea, but I am confused on how to build a suit, so some advice on that would be awesome. I am keeping Cartography on a separate toon. I will be swapping out focus just to come pick the lock.

Taming 90(110) *Thinking of going 15/15 on both ring and bracelet to hit 120 if it would fit
Lore 90(110)*see above
Vet 100 - starting at 50 or 90
Magery 120
Eval 100
Focus 100 (non meddable 55 LMC suit)
Inscription 100

How fast can I raise Vet, healing my pet? If I could get away on lvl 4/5 and below maps, Starting with 50 Vet and supporting with Magery, I could essentially start playing around with it today, or at least as soon as I put together a suit and procure a pet. I was thinking Cu Sidhe, or Nightmare Combo with Dragon/Rune Beetle/White Wyrm. I would gain Vet faster with a combo. But about that suit... If you can give me a ballpark figure on stats I need to end up with, I can figure out how to build it. From some light reading, it seems like you can actually squeeze more Luck in, since you don't need to worry about resists as much, nor necessarily having 2/6?

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i've gone:

120 taming/lore/magery/eval/weaving
20 necro
100 spirit speak

as a base.

i use soulstones to swap carto -> mining -> lockpicking in place of spirit speak as needed.
i wear a lucksuit for digging up the chest (using ethereal voyage).
use dragon as meat shield/tank.

for level 7's, i swap for an sdi suit in wraith form with slayer books.
cast high damage spells after spawn goes aggro on dragon (this is the only time i need spirit speak)

**for all spawn (regardless of level), i lure them one or two at a time to where i have my dragon standing (one or two screens from chest).**
i rarely have to get involved in fights below level 7, aside from the occasional g.heal or GoR.

Seelendolch

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The guild leader took me on a level 7 map on her tamer, she had a gdragon, and she uses stealth and hiding, not sure on the rest of the template though. Puts the dragon 1 screen away, brings 1-2 mobs at a time. All guard, hide to drop aggro, then nuke or heal pet as needed. Was too easy. 1 mob at a time, makes me think even i could solo it with my cu sidhe. (not sure, have not tried) GL+HF :)