• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tamer/archer/bush template help! cant decide!

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Here are the current skills on my char, he is designed for PvM:

Animal lore 120 (115 real)
Animal Taming 120 (101 real)
Archery 120 (100 real I wear hunters)
Chivalry 80 (This is my main source for healing other than pots)
Tactics 100
Vet 120
Bushido 90 (mainly for perfection)

With the current setup I still have 10% points available. These are my thoughts;
1)I could have 110 tactics to increase damage and keep bush a 90, as I would still achieve perfection. Or I could go with 100 tactics, 100 bushido to achieve perfec. a little bit faster, I am not sure if it is worth it though.
2) I am not sure if vet 120 is really necessary maybe I can drop it to 110, and have 120 tactics and 90 bush. or 100 bush and 110 tactics.
3) Chivalry, it is there mainly for healing and buffs for damage. Should I keep it at 80?. Now with Bush and perfection I am using a lot of lighting strike to raise perfection, so I've been thinking maybe I can drop chiv and raise healing. I currently have 2 faster casting so I can heal fast if I am in trouble, dropping chiv would let me add more cool stuff to my jewelry.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
What do you guys think?
I think you're not going to see much difference kicking 10 points around here and there.

My favourite Dexxer/Tamer is: Tame 110 /Lore 110 /Vet 100/Weapon 120/Tactics 90+/Chivalry 70+/Necro 100. Vamp Form and 4/6 casting.

You don't need higher than 110 Tame/Lore for anything. You don't need higher than 100 Vet. If you have Consume Damage from Taming Mastery you don't need Vet at all. I usually go with a melee skill so I can sit under the pet and Whirlwind/Hit Area/Vet keeps us both alive and full of Mana.

It also has the versatility of me tanking while using weaker pets such as Beetle/Mare or 5 Frenzies.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
nsume Damage from Taming Mastery you
Thats a pretty cool template. I want bushido for the luck + damage bonus of perfection. Animal lore and vet at 120 heals your pet more, and I find that useful if you use a greater dragon and are trying to solo something that hits pretty hard and your dragon is taking all the damage. Idk... maybe I am wrong. I like your template and thought about having necro instead of bush, but then I decided not to. It is too far from what I am used to.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Lore has no bearing on amount healed.

My Tamer has just been rebuilt as a Treasure Hunter, and just got the Taming 3 mastery yesterday, with Consume Damage running my Greater Dragon stayed at full health with both an Ancient Wyrm and a Balron on it at the same time without any Vet or Healing.

Having Parry wouldn't make much sense if the pet is taking damage.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Lore has no bearing on amount healed.

My Tamer has just been rebuilt as a Treasure Hunter, and just got the Taming 3 mastery yesterday, with Consume Damage running my Greater Dragon stayed at full health with both an Ancient Wyrm and a Balron on it at the same time without any Vet or Healing.

Having Parry wouldn't make much sense if the pet is taking damage.
Thx for the input. I don't have any plans to get Taming 3 mastery now, I don't have the money, and I still need to work on my armor.

Regarding animal lore this is the formula:

Min_Healed=(lore / 5) + (vet / 5) + 3
Max_Healed=(lore / 5) + (vet / 2) + 10
Amount Healed=random (Min_Healed, Max_Healed) + (pet’s max HP / 100)

And you're right, lore/5 is a very small number, which makes the difference between 110 and 120 minimal, and probably not worth it. Also when you are talking about greater dragon which has a lot of HP the difference between 120 vet and 110 is not that big either. So let's say I drop vet to 110,lore to 110 and taming to 110. This would now give me 40 available points that I don't know where to spend.

I am an archer so I can't really tank enemies, and I am much more effective when riding. However, I can't ride when I use my greater dragon, and sometimes a strong creature attacks me instead of my dragon, that's when things get messed up. Is there anything I can do to my template to make this better? I've thought about droping bushido and raising ninjitsu so I can go on animal form, but then I lose the luck and damage bonus from perfection. The whole point of tamer/archer is so that you can do damage from distance, and run if necessary.

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I am an archer so I can't really tank enemies, and I am much more effective when riding. However, I can't ride when I use my greater dragon, and sometimes a strong creature attacks me instead of my dragon, that's when things get messed up. Is there anything I can do to my template to make this better? I've thought about droping bushido and raising ninjitsu so I can go on animal form, but then I lose the luck and damage bonus from perfection. The whole point of tamer/archer is so that you can do damage from distance, and run if necessary.
Yes. You could become a gargoyle and change Archery for Throwing. You can also position yourself so that the monsters attack your pet. To do this you must have you pet attacking, and move so that the monster walks onto the same tile as the pet, it will then retarget the pet as it is closer than you are and attacking. You could also use Invis pots.

The point of a Tamer/Archer is mainly Dismount/All kill in PvP, in PvM it has no real point because you have to be close anyway to Vet (if using Vet, which you are), there's no benefit to being an Archer on this template. Plus many things have AoE/counter attacks that will make them retarget you anyway. If you're going to be standing close enough to a pet to Vet it you're better of with melee, as you can Whirlwind and leech more.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yes. You could become a gargoyle and change Archery for Throwing. You can also position yourself so that the monsters attack your pet. To do this you must have you pet attacking, and move so that the monster walks onto the same tile as the pet, it will then retarget the pet as it is closer than you are and attacking. You could also use Invis pots.

The point of a Tamer/Archer is mainly Dismount/All kill in PvP, in PvM it has no real point because you have to be close anyway to Vet (if using Vet, which you are), there's no benefit to being an Archer on this template. Plus many things have AoE/counter attacks that will make them retarget you anyway. If you're going to be standing close enough to a pet to Vet it you're better of with melee, as you can Whirlwind and leech more.
I know... tamer/archer used to be very popular back in the days, and that's when I created my character, which I used for champ spawns and PvP. Then I left UO, and now there are so many powerful items, everyone doing PvP is so buffed, it takes too much effort to dress a char for PvP. I already have spent a ton of resources, energy to make 2 of my characters suitable for PvP, so I decided I was going to keep my tamer/archer for PvM, which I don't have too much experience with. I haven't a really had time to keep up with all this new superpowerful items that you can obtain reforging.

I like the idea of using invis pots, idk how I didnt think about that. I don't want to drop archery, you can still attack from a distance, using vet behind pet only when needed. I don't stand close to the pet, I only do it when strictly necessary, then I run back. suit is much cheaper than other templates, and you can use archery specials. I just want to get this template to a decent spot, so I can focus on my PvP templates. Maybe in a future I will make this a PvP char as well, but I don't see that coming considering how expensive PvP is becoming.

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
You could also think about using confusion blast potions followed by a quick "all kill" in the case when you're against something that will simply reveal you and attack again. They require a bit more skill to use though.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I know... tamer/archer used to be very popular back in the days, and that's when I created my character, which I used for champ spawns and PvP. Then I left UO, and now there are so many powerful items, everyone doing PvP is so buffed, it takes too much effort to dress a char for PvP. I already have spent a ton of resources, energy to make 2 of my characters suitable for PvP, so I decided I was going to keep my tamer/archer for PvM, which I don't have too much experience with. I haven't a really had time to keep up with all this new superpowerful items that you can obtain reforging.

I like the idea of using invis pots, idk how I didnt think about that. I don't want to drop archery, you can still attack from a distance, using vet behind pet only when needed. I don't stand close to the pet, I only do it when strictly necessary, then I run back. suit is much cheaper than other templates, and you can use archery specials. I just want to get this template to a decent spot, so I can focus on my PvP templates. Maybe in a future I will make this a PvP char as well, but I don't see that coming considering how expensive PvP is becoming.
You don't really need all that for PvP or PvM, you can still max everything that counts with a few artys (VvV makes that even easier) and a simple Imbue, before reforging we were up to full mods plus HPR/RPD/EP/CF, only thing that's really been added on is damage eaters. Archery is more expensive than the other options, you have ammo, plus 99% of UO plays Archers so all the gear and scrolls it typically uses get inflated.

I build with whether or not I intend/know I will at some point take aggro in mind, doubly so if I'm on foot, so it's either melee or fully ranged for me.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You don't really need all that for PvP or PvM, you can still max everything that counts with a few artys (VvV makes that even easier) and a simple Imbue, before reforging we were up to full mods plus HPR/RPD/EP/CF, only thing that's really been added on is damage eaters. Archery is more expensive than the other options, you have ammo, plus 99% of UO plays Archers so all the gear and scrolls it typically uses get inflated.

I build with whether or not I intend/know I will at some point take aggro in mind, doubly so if I'm on foot, so it's either melee or fully ranged for me.
And I already ate +20 archery on this char... so that would go to waste if I raise fencing or similar instead... oh well... maybe I would have to.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Not necessarily, with name/race/gender change and scrolls consumed for skills and stats there's not really any reason to ever delete a character anymore, so changing a character back and forth to try out different things isn't particularly difficult or costly.

Thoronnar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Not necessarily, with name/race/gender change and scrolls consumed for skills and stats there's not really any reason to ever delete a character anymore, so changing a character back and forth to try out different things isn't particularly difficult or costly.
Well yeah, and soulforges :). +20 PS archery is quite expensive though. Armor you're right, you can get around with a few arties and imbued armor which I probably have stuff sitting around. I think what I am going to do is keep this toon as an archer/tamer and have two different set ups for PvM and PvP. With the use of invis pots and conflags the tamer archer can be pretty decent on PvM even on foot. I know that if I wanted to optimize this char for PvM the way to go would be necro+weapon and vamp form. But a change of armor and use of soulforge I can be good to go for the PvP fun, I only have to imbue some armor which is not big deal.

I really enjoy PvP and the adrenaline of hunting in Felucca, so I think I will be happier in the end with another char I can take to Fel :). Swap healing for vet, and add resisting spells 120. good to go.

Thx a lot for all your help. I am definitely dropping Animal lore to 110, and vet.

Last edited:

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Well yeah, and soulforges :). +20 PS archery is quite expensive though. Armor you're right, you can get around with a few arties and imbued armor which I probably have stuff sitting around. I think what I am going to do is keep this toon as an archer/tamer and have two different set ups for PvM and PvP. With the use of invis pots and conflags the tamer archer can be pretty decent on PvM even on foot. I know that if I wanted to optimize this char for PvM the way to go would be necro+weapon and vamp form. But a change of armor and use of soulforge I can be good to go for the PvP fun, I only have to imbue some armor which is not big deal.

I really enjoy PvP and the adrenaline of hunting in Felucca, so I think I will be happier in the end with another char I can take to Fel :). Swap healing for vet, and add resisting spells 120. good to go.

Thx a lot for all your help. I am definitely dropping Animal lore to 110, and vet.
I missed them the first time they were out but just got some of those mannequin deeds, they look super useful for having multiple suits.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
110 Taming
110 Lore

100 Archery (120 with HH)
100 Tactics

80 Chivalry

100 Magery (for healing pet from distance)

100 points left over - Meditation could be useful to maintain taming mastery on pet so you don't have to heal as much, or Spirit Speak to leech mana when using scrolls to get in Wraith Form. On my tamer mage I haven't used vet for years, relying on Greater Heals instead, and now with the new mastery I don't even need to do that. Your pet(s) will be the main damage dealer so your suit should be more mage-focused, using a SC comp bow to plink away with occasional AIs.

Summoned

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why have vet or Margery when you have chiv for healing? On my tamer I have chiv and I just heal my pet with it. Not sure why you would need 2 ways to heal your pet? 4/6 healing does 4% to my greater drag with each heal.

Also you only need 60 chiv to cast heal and cure.