• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Talk about a blast from the past...

• Thread starter Dor of Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Dor of Sonoma

I was doing a bit of internet sleuthing tonight, trying to summon forth the old MT website on the Internet Wayback Machine. It didn't work (darn it), so I started playing with Google...which led me to yet another defunct site. Grr!

I was intrigued however, so I fed that URL into the Wayback Machine, which transformed it into this: http://web.archive.org/web/20010304124039/http://aoh.freeservers.com/AoHNews.html
which in turn yielded this; a snapshot of the incredible community activity which was taking place on Sonoma back in September of 1999. The list of events is too lengthy to include in this post, but I would like to reprint a small portion for your nostalgic pleasure *grins*

Saturday, September 18th

Joust Event 7 PM

A Jousting Event will again be held in front of the Dragons Den on Saturday,
8pm pacific time. 1k entrant fee. GM weapons and armor will be provided. no
healing or potions. Full rules at time of event. First place gets 10k gold and a weapon of vaquishing, second gets a set of GM Verite Plate armor, 3rd gets GM Black armor or a choice of a power or silver weapon. Registering will start at 7pm pacific time before matches start.

Runes at YMCA and Oasis Library.

Aire Libre

Announcing the opening of The Dive

All of you scoundrels, rogues, thieves and other less reputable types, listen up!

The Dive is a new exclusive club to open up in Ironwood. All members of the Dive will be those who are either shunned by society or they shun it. Finally there is a place where you can come to socialize, hangout or whatever with those of your disposition. No more virtue hangups, morality codes, or whatever!

Being an exclusive club, you must be admitted in order to be a patron. Just ICQ me and I will make sure you are our type and I'll get you a key! Simple as that. The Dive will be a sanctuary to those that seek to capture or kill you!

OOC This is a roleplaying bar for those of us who enjoy the darker side of life! Beware, anything goes in The Dive so long as its in the spirit of roleplay and not griefing....See you there!

Manager
ICQ 4160335
Friday, September 17th

Dungeon Run Tonight, Everyone Welcome!

Where: Mage Tower, behind the large mage shop in Moonglow [runes to the tower are locked down at the Dark Tower, Seven Fates Tavern and the YMCA]
When: 6 pm pst
Contacts at the Mage Tower: Qaladar or Aurin Wildfire

Reminder: Worst Dressed Man on Sonoma Contest

Don't forget!! Worst Dressed Man on Sonoma Contest
When: 7 pm pst, 8 pm mt, 9 pm cst, 10 pm est
Where: Ironwood (cross the pier from Skara Brae, follow the road) Runes at the YMCA andDark Tower
Who: Sponsored by Ironwood Ladies Society, any male* character on Sonoma is eligible to enter, but you must be on time and have your name entered in the registration book.
What: Top three winners will receive nice prizes and their names inscribed in the chronicles of the ILS. [OK OK, so you'll be famous for about 15 minutes]

All lady spectators are welcome to provide comments and assistance to the judging panel.
The current panel consists of Sera, Morgan, Shandra, Celeste and Genevieve.

Heather Rose
*something special planned for females in about 3 weeks

Thursday, September 16th

WAR!!!!!

Please join one of the oldest Anti-PK adventure guilds on Sonoma as they host their monthly Recruitment and Skills tourney.WARRIORS AGAINST ROGUES (WAR) has long been associated with the more positive aspects of Ultima Online play. Daily and weekly events are scheduled by our membership and are usually open to all levels. New players and veterans alike are encouraged to join. WAR takes the training of those not familiar to UO as a serious matter. Many of the veterans on the Sonoma shard were WAR members at one time. WAR is a dedicated Anti-PK/adventure guild. Please feel free to visit our website for more details:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010304124039/http://aoh.freeservers.com/www.geocities.com/pentagon/barracks/8677

Date: Sep 16 1999 8:00PM CST

Lord Vyle, Warriors against Rogues

10k Lottery!

The Dark Tower has re-employed, Nathan, it's lottery vendor [located on the tower roof]. Here's your chance to win 10,000 gold pieces to line your pockets with. The Dark Tower is located in the swamps between Trinsic and Britain on the coast directly north east of the Shrine of Spirituality. Runes to the tower are locked down at the YMCA, the Mage Tower, The Roasted Boar-Ironwood, Oasis Rune library, and Caendryl Rune Library.
Wednesday, September 15th

A reminder: I will be home tonight

Just a reminder that I will be available in my house at 6pm PST this evening and for a few hours after. All the knowledge I have will be at your disposal. Perhaps we can discuss the issue of Balart, as I'm sure the voices have entered many of your heads as well. Come by, there is much to talk about.
Be well,
-Ceridwen

Tuesday, September 14th

Where: Mage Tower, behind the large mage shop in Moonglow [runes to the tower are locked down at the Dark Tower, Seven Fates Tavern and the YMCA]
When: 6 pm PST

Horse Races

They take place at the race track just North West from the bridge leaving Britain (Follow the trail with the map until the track is in sight (On your left)). The races start at 9pm PST every Tuesday evening and are quite fun.

3 vs 3 Tournament Results

Well, the first ever BD Tournament was completed tonight (sunday), and a great success. 6 teams entered the double elimination tournament. Throughout the 11 matches, the event was a great display of team skill among the contestants. Along with the contestants, there was a pretty decent sized crowd to view the event, along with a few councelers. The teams that competed, and the results of each fight are listed below.

Team BD 1: Maximus, Jove, Dragon X
Team BD 2: Ziggy, Kain Hellbane, Ardiendo
Team Luigi: Luigi, Goldur, Galdor
The 3 Lost Padres: Harlequin, of Destruction, Anton LaVey
The Krazie Pigs: Tiffany Co., Drake Sindar, Isabel
Team OGD: Gara, Meursault, Mordran
Matches, in order of occurance:

Team BD 2 d. Team OGD
Team Luigi d. The 3 Lost Padres
Team OGD d. The Krazie Pigs
Team Luigi d. Team BD 1
The 3 Lost Padres d. Team BD 2
The Krazie Pigs d. Team BD 1 (Team BD 1 eliminated)
Team Luigi d. Team OGD (Team OGD eliminated)
Team BD 2 d. The Krazie Pigs (The Krazie Pigs eliminated)
Team Luigi d. The 3 Padres (The 3 Padres eliminated)
Team BD 2 d. Team Luigi
Team BD 2 d. Team Luigi (Team Luigi eliminated)

So there you have, through 11 battles, and 3.5 hours, Team BD 2 was able to best Team Luigi to win the tournament, the event was a great display of team fighting talents, as the contests were often very close, and always very exciting. A few complications did occur that mixed up the teams during the fight however. Ardiendo (Team BD 2) had to leave the tournament and was replace by Madrid (agreed upon by the teams). Goldur was reported for a murder during the fight by accident, during one of the fights, and was resurrected with statloss. So after the first finals fight, when Team BD 2 d. Team Luigi, so for the final match, Goldur was replaced by Dakkon Artisan. Other than a few minor problems throughout the fight, it went pretty well, and i think (hope) everyone had fun. BD is considering possibly making this an event that occurs on a regular basis, perhaps once a month, or once every two weeks. Possibly mixing up the rules and/or the events each time, depending on what people want to do. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, feel free to post your ideas on the BD Tournament Discussion Board
BD Webpage
Discussion Board

Abattoir

Monday, September 13th
Last day for you to send in your entries for my caption contest!

Devo

Mining for John -- Get-Rich-Quick Program!

Tonight at 9pm, in Ironwood.
Many of you have heard of the various get-rich-quick schemes; but this one is different! This one really works! Just listen to some satisfied customers:

ANONYMOUS GM: "Being a GM can sure be tough sometimes, what with all the hard and long hours we have to put in. And sometimes, even WE run a little short on cash. Sure, I could just spawn some gold for myself, but the Mining for John program actually brings in the cash faster!"

LORD BRITISH: "Very little of my fortune was actually inherited. I earned it all: using the
principles discovered in the Mining for John program. How else do you think I could keep my guards so well-paid?"

ANONYMOUS PK: [face is blacked out and voice digitally blurred] "o.. should I talk now? k Umm... yeah, well u know how people say that pking is the fastest way 2 make money? it ain't anymore, Mining for John is. now i just pk because i like 2 screw with peoples' lives"

The details of the Mining for John: Get-Rich-Quick Program
Ironwood Events Coordinator

Sunday, September 12th

Oasis Fight Night 65 Announcement

Hail friends of Sonoma:
FN 64 was a great success. Many came to enjoy themselves. We had some problems with some undesireable players summoning outside of the arena causing lag to the competitors but that was quickly handled.

Overall FN was a good success and with my lack of regeants, Pepsi the Orc Helmed and Bone armored Healer ressed for us and was a great joy. Also we now have a smith to do repairs in our ring so FN can go smoothly and faster. Thank you to those who ran out of Oasis and FN in a hurry to go buy the forge and anvil deed and thanks to IGM Twilight for placing them.

FN 65 will be held this sunday September 12th at 5pm EST. Sign-ups are not required. As i am the only one and my mail is getting full just come to Oasis EARLY. If you come late you might not be permitted to participate, depending on my mood. So please come around 4:45pm EST if you can!

If you have any questions or problems with getting to Oasis at 5pm EST please feel free to ICQ me at: 5182313

Thank you,
Wrath
Oasis Fight Night Coordinator

Saturday, September 11th

3 vs 3 Tournament

This Saturday (9/11), The Black Dragon Brotherhood will be hosting a 3 vs 3 Tournament, it will begin at 9pm EST/6pm PST. There will be a 24k entrance fee per team, with 75% of that fee going to the winning team, and 25% of that fee going to the runner up. Official Rules and details can be found at the BD webpage, under the Dragon Den section. A Discussion Board has been setup for any comments anyone has. To sign up for the tournament, do so on the Discussion Board, but be sure that you read the rules, so you know what is going on. Tell your friends, and let's go have some fun!

BD Webpage
Discussion Board

ABATTOIR (BD)

Joust Event 7 PM

A Jousting Event will again be held in front of the Dragons Den on Saturday, Sept 4th,
8pm pacific time. 1k entrant fee. GM weapons and armor will be provided. no
healing or potions. Full rules at time of event. First place gets 10k gold and a weapon
of vaquishing, second gets a set of GM Verite Plate armor, 3rd gets GM Black
armor or a choice of a power or silver weapon. Registering will start at 7pm pacific
time before matches start.

Runes at YMCA and Oasis Library.

Aire Libre

"Worst Dressed Man on Sonoma" postponed

until next weekend, sorry.. (gives you more time to sharpen your ugly outfits guys!)
Heather Rose

Friday, September 10th

When: 6 pm pst

Thank you all for attending!

I was astounded and honored upon seeing so many people at my home last eve. I would like to express my gratitude one last time for showing up, and make a few comments. My condolences for the expressly poor food service, I should have put a feast on each table to begin with and let you choose from that, but it was an oversight. Forgive me. The communication crystals were meant to aid hearing when making announcements, but some have expressed annoyance regarding their use. I can think of no way around this. When one needs to be heard in a large event, that seems the only viable way. For the noise, also forgive me.

My house will be open to all every Wednesday at 6pm PST from now on, and I encourage anyone and everyone to come by, as there will be interesting things to do. I have many tales I wish to share, and the inside of my home is much quieter than without, I assure you. So, in conclusion, for those of you who were disappointed with the party, come by next week and I shall make it up to you.

Winner of the best-dressed contest (judges selected at random from crowd):
Serafina Cole

Winner of the History trivia quiz:
Alexander
Janos
Crimson
Shylock
Jorus C'Boath
and their very swift team leader,
Sigel

Congratulations, all!
-Ceridwen, historian of Britain

Thursday, September 9th

Attention Citizens of The Lost World

There is an over population of deer, goats, and cattle in and around the city of Dulicia. I have be entrusted to take care of this little problem. The hunt will last for one hour and will start on Thur Sept 9th at 8pm. Scissors will be provided to those who need them.With operate funding, I'm calling an open season on these creatures. As proof and to make sure we do not over hunt them, citizens are to collect the hides and seek out Willow Wynd out at the bank of Dulicia for payment. She has have been authorized to pay out 5 gold per hide.

Payment will be added, tallied, and paid out after 1 hour of hunting. As a bonus, If any one citizen brings in one hundred hides or more they will receive a full suit of leather armour, currently valued over 300 gp. This set will include one leather tunic, leather cap, studded arms, studded leggings, studded gorget, and boots. As a warning, these animals may seem harmless, but in large groups they can me deadly. Orcs also frequent the area, probably in search of meat due to the overpopulation. Be sure that you arm thyselves.

In a nutshell
When: Thur, Sept 9th, 8pm
Where: Bank of Dulicia
Who: Willow Wynd, Master Seamstress (with help from the Devo family)
Event Length: 1 hour
Risk: Low, Great for newbies or training new characters
Payment: 5gp/hide plus bonus armour
Estimate: 175 hides/hour x 5gp = 875gp + sale of bonus armour = 1175gp

Kinar Tyris

10k Lottery!

The Dark Tower has re-employed, Nathan, it's lottery vendor [located on the tower roof]. Here's your chance to win 10,000 gold pieces to line your pockets with. The Dark Tower is located in the swamps between Trinsic and Britain on the coast directly north east of the Shrine of Spirituality. Runes to the tower are locked down at the YMCA, the Mage Tower, The Roasted Boar-Ironwood, Oasis Rune library, and Caendryl Rune Library.

Sonoma Horse Races
From Lord Myrkul:
My good friend ibn al'Asifa has asked me to send message to the press about his horse races. They take place at the race track just North West from the bridge leaving Britain (Follow the trail with the map until the track is in sight (On your left)). The races start at 9pm PST every Tuesday evening and are quite fun.

Last weeks winners were:
Neo of A*V won 10,000 gold coin but rolled the prize over, 15,000 gold this week!
Neo of A*V protected his honour as champion.
Lord Myrkul retained his coveted fancy shirt thanks to Harlequin.

What could happen this week? The only way to find out is to show up at 9pm PST. With gambling, commentary, and underhanded trickery. Anything can happen at the horse races!

This week we hope to have the best turn out ever. It is a great opportunity to put on your best clothes and socialize. The races are for a good cause also. Once ibn al'Asifa finds the fastest racer in the land, they will help him save his wife who was frozen by a rival tribe's shamen

D

Dor of Sonoma

Forgot to include this entry from Thursday, September 2:

The Flying Phoenix & Dancing Dragon Tavern is open

-grin- If any of you, during your travels whilst between Oasis and Cove.. such a well travelled area that is.. -wink- are in need of a drink or food or a restbit..feel free to visit " The Flying Phoenix & Dancing Dragon Tavern "(yes we have a big name but you should see our rats) -wink-

Coordinates : 62. 24N - 52. 30E Directly SW of the "Freelance Warriors of Virtue"'s Castle.

Enjoy the day,
Towenaar

D

Dor of Sonoma

Oh, and back on the subject of the Mage Tower:

Friday, August 27th

Mage Tower 5k Event

In honor of the Sonoma Mage Tower recently reaching 5,000 visits, this saturday we will be throwing a little party. The events will begin at 7 PM PST in the Mage Tower, which can be found on Moonglow behind the Encylcopedia Magika. Things will start off simple enough with an event all mages should be able to take part in, a summoned creature fighting contest. The fights will be one on one in an elimination format, if you lose your out, and if you win you advance to the next round. Mages will be allowed to summon three creatures, choose which one they want to fight for them and release the other two. After the two animals begin fighting each other, their owners may begin casting protective spells on their animals. They can NOT cast any spells on the animal belonging to their opponent. They may cast all spells on their animal except for Heal and Greater Heal. The winner of this event will be given 10k in gold.

Next there will be a scavenger hunt. Players must enter in teams of 3. Although there is no entrance fee for this event, it is suggested that some amount of gold is brought with them as they will have to get misc. items along the way to advance. All teams will be given a starting clue as to a location they must find which will be the first checkpoint. They will also be told an item they must bring with them to the checkpoint to give to someone who will give them the name of the next item they must find, and the next clue. All team members must be present and alive at the checkpoint when giving in the item to be given the clue for the next location and item. The clues will become harder progressing into riddles, and the items will become somewhat harder to obtain. The locations they must reach will also become harder (And perhaps more dangerous) to reach. It is recommended that the teams be ready for possible combat. If a member of any team attacks a member of any other team during the hunt, their team will be disqualified. Combat among teams during this event is not allowed as we have no way of controlling murder counts. The first team to arrive at the last checkpoint with the correct item, will each be given 10,000 gold and 500 of each reagent.

Lastly, there will be an essay contest. The subject is "Why I love magic and being a mage" . All submissions must be made IN GAME with books. Books can be purchased in game from the nearest library or provisioner's shop. There will also be books available for purchase at the Mage Tower from the start of the events, but if you would like to enter you can begin writing your submission now and give it in saturday. Submissions will be judged by originality, uniqueness, and role play value (If your submission says you love magic because its the best tool to kill monsters, chances are you wont win). The winner of this contest will be given a small house. Hope to see you all saturday!

Qaladar

Grand Opening of the Vesper Counselor Guild Hall
From SLC Tika and the Sonoma Counseling Team:

The Counselors of Sonoma would like to cordially extend an invitation to the citizens of Sonoma to the Grand Opening of the newly renovated Counselor Guild Hall in Vesper. The event will run from eight pm to ten pm Pacific time on the twenty-seventh of August in the year of nineteen hundred and ninety-nine. In attendance will be the guests of honor, our counselors, as well as some special guests in robes of varying hues and the senior staff of the Sonoma Counselor Program.

Date: Friday August 27, 1999
Time: 8pm to 10pm Pacific Time
Directions: two buildings south of the southern Tailors of Vesper or just east of the Ironwood Inn (take the north bridge)

Come out and join in the fun and get a chance to meet the people behind the robes.
We look forward to seeing you there

Case #101 Hearing Date
by Courts of Sonoma

Case 101: The Murder of Birmingham of Caendryl

State Case - State VS Kaizan
Judge Appointed: Judge Nommel Sr.
Procsecuting Attorney: Brandy Rosethorn, Sage Arthur, Lady Ariell
Defense Attorney: Kaizan of D
Distict Head Marshal Appointed: Commissioner Darkheart

Citizen Filed Complaint: Damien Vryce, Lord of the Flame

Case File Info: A charge of murder of Lady Birmingham of Caendryl by Kaizan of D.

Case Follow Up: Procsecuting Attorney & Marshals are gathering evidence for a hearing.

Accused: Kaizan of D
Place: Sonoma Courts
Date: Saturday - August 28th
Time: 10AM - PST

Location-
WEST EAST
Sonoma Courts - Privite Castle - Privite Home - Dragons Den

(Hehe...apologies for getting so carried away with this stuff. I lost all of my personal archives years ago, when my harddrive went up in flames. This is fun!)

I

imported_Garen

The 3 Lost Padres: Harlequin, of Destruction, Anton LaVey

lol

Team BD actually lost to Luigi's team but BD couldn't handle it and found an excuse to disqualify that fight.

Anybody remember the second BD tournament? :]

M

Mandolin

<blockquote><hr>

(Hehe...apologies for getting so carried away with this stuff. I lost all of my personal archives years ago, when my harddrive went up in flames. This is fun!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely no apologies necessary, Dor. I'm having a lot of fun reading through these. Some of the events are vaguely familiar. There are some I regret never attending. The names though.. wow.. talk about nostalgic. You should do this on a regular basis.. kind of like a "On this date in Sonoma..." type article.

I

imported_Eldritch

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Mandolin. This is fun. If you can find more keep putting it out there. It reminds me of the fun times we had when I would hang out at the Ironwood Inn.

Plus there were some great event ideas there that can be borrowed from. It is hard to come up with fresh ideas all of the time.

I like the "This day in Sonoma" idea as well. A regular article (once a week or twice a month) would be interesting.