• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Talisman Carpentry Bonus

• Thread starter Karthcove
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
K

Karthcove

OK, I just started doing quests - just started playing UO again

Could someone explain what each part means?

I got a;

Talisman of Wildfire Removal
Fully Charged
Phoenix Killer: 61%
Orc Protection: 15%
Carpentry Exec Bonus: 21%
Carpentry Bonus: 18%
Charges: 30

And also got one that is just a Beetle Slayer... I assume that means the same as a weapon slayer.

Thank you in advance!

I have found my own answer - Google is great

http://www.uoguide.com/Talisman

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, in case someone doesn't want to follow that link (and this expands a bit on the uoguide stuff), there's this description. Note that the uoguide info is incomplete, and doesn't mention several of the special talismans, and severely overestimates the ability to get a "owned by" Totem of the Void. Their list of what is effected by the slayers is also very incomplete for some of the types.

First: Talisman of Wildfire Removal
Does nothing. They changed how the Arcanist (Spellweaving) spell Wildfire worked prior to the release of Mondain's Legacy, and as a result, it's a meaningless property (like UBWS on a bow)

Second: Fully Charged
HAD "Wildfire Removal" still had a function, there is a timer between uses of such a property. Properties that do work are creature summoning (one specific type), Talisman of creatures (creature summoning, but random instead of one specific type), Damage Removal, Ward Removal (removes protective spells like protection, bless, magic resist, reactive armor - more often used as a PVP offensive act), Curse removal (removes curse-type spells and effects - mainly used on self), ingot summoning, bandage summoning and board summoning. The item summoning items have a 600 second (10 minute) timer. The others have 1800 second (30 minute) timer. Creatures summoned act similar to necromancer familiars (only attack in self defense, or attack what you are specifically attacking in melee - otherwise just follow you), and last for 600 seconds (when the timer hits 1200, it goes poof). If you remove the talisman before it resets to fully charged (including dying), it goes back to the maximum time to recharge.
(the item summoners do 10 items each activation, and the " Sometimes you get a semi-rare talisman that gives 10 green bandages in a round formation" are actually "reversed" bandages, like the white ones you can get from stealing in healer shops).

Third: Charges.
The number of times it can be used for that above special ability before requiring recharging using a player-crafted Runed switch (an item that takes multiple tinker, inscription and glassblowing checks to be made). Some Talismans don't have charges, effectively having unlimited uses (other than the time delay between uses)

Fourth: Slayer properties.
Work as the weapon property, Melee only (maybe Archery too, but I've heard both yes and no on archery). Properties of these types are a bit less defined than normal slayers, but do stack (I THINK recently that some information was finally released on what each does)

Fifth: Killer Property.
Ranges from 1-100%, acts as a slayer specifically to that one creature type. Note that it's by name (a ratman killer only works on a ratman, not ratman shaman/mage or archer). Also stacks with slayers

Sixth: Protection property.
As Killer, ranging from 1-60%. Acts as a "negative DI" or additional layer of resistance (not sure which) against an attacker of that type, for melee only.

Seventh: Crafting Bonuses.
Apply ONLY to crafting, not enhancing. Each range up to 29 or 30% (low end I THINK is 10% or 11%)
A normal bonus applies ONLY if you can normally make the item in question, and applies only to the base chance of success in crafting.
An Exceptional Bonus is a bit trickier. Typically (for most items), when you can make something, your chance to make something exceptional is your crafting skill (not effected by the above bonus) minus 50%. So, at 50.2% normal chance (unmodified), you have a 0.2% chance for exceptional. This Exceptional bonus adds to the Exceptional skill chance - and sometimes applies even when the base chance would be negative. So, if you have a 20% Exceptional bonus, and are at 42% real normal crafting skill, that equates to a -8% chance for exceptional, plus 20%, resulting in a 12% chance with talisman. It doesn't always seem to work that way, and had us pulling our hair out during the testing of the Stratics crafting tables, when the Talisman bonus sections were being added to them.

Eighth: "Owned By"
The Holy Grail of properties on a good talisman, this initially says "No One" when found. DO NOT EQUIP this item, except on the character you want to have the item. When first equipped, the "No One" changes to that character, effectively becoming personally blessed and only equipable BY that character.

Ninth: Special Talismans
There are two minor artifact Talismans that only come from killing the special named creatures introduced in Mondain's Legacy. The Totem of the Void is a Creature summoner (typically one specific creature, but can be a Talisman of Creatures), with 10% LMC, 2 HP Regen and a random Protection property. It can also spawn with "Owned By" - which can pump its sale value from about 1 million to 6-10 million, based on the protection property. The second minor arty talisman is the Bloodwood Spirit, which gives Necromancy & Spirit Speak skill bonuses (and IIRC a protection property), as well as being a talisman of Damage removal. Can (theoretically) also be "Owned by", but I've not seen one yet.

Another group of special talismans can be gained from donating to the Library Collection in Britain. These are best described on the uo.com and fan sites, and can also be "Owned by", increasing their base value.
One of these gives a bonus to the music skill, and is good for a carpenter seeking to put as few points as possible into music, while being able to craft instruments. An elf carpenter, with that talisman, a Singing axe (a smith ML recipe craftable), song-woven mantle (a tailor ML recipe craftable) and 25 points of Music jewelry, can have ZERO real skill, and be able to craft musical instruments. A human can do it with only 5 real points, +30 jewelry, talisman and Axe (the mantle is an elf-only armor item). As one can donate boards to the library, it is typically in a carpenter's best interest to dump as many extra boards they have from their lumberjack (especially excess oak, ash and heartwood) into that library donation (after doing the quest) to get that talisman.

K

Karthcove

Thank you for the thorough response - it clears up my remaining questions and more!

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basara, not sure about ingot and board summoning but clean bandaging summons works once every 60 seconds, not 600 seconds.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm going by memory on those so it could be 60.

They typically aren't much use except in emergencies (to finish a quest when you run short of boards or ingots in heartwood, or for the bandages, a way of having an "insured" bandage source.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
BTW the slayer effects do work with Archery as my archer uses the ice talisman all the time in ice dungeon they just dont work for spells
Snowdog LS shard