• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tailoring A-Z / Collecting Hides & Wool / Macro Guide / My Tailoring gains...

V

ViDDi

<font color=blue> 1.1 What to make and when ? </font color=blue>
<font color=blue> 1.2 What to do with the items you make ? </font color=blue>
<font color=blue> 1.3 Tailoring A-Z </font color=blue>
<font color=blue> 1.4 Collecting Hides &amp; Wool… </font color=blue>
<blockquote> <font color=27408B> [*] 1.4.1 Hides
<blockquote> [*] 1.4.1.1 Hides - Artic Island
[*] 1.4.1.2 Hides - Barrier Island
[*] 1.4.1.3 Hides - Delucia
[*] 1.4.1.4 Hides - Jhelom Bull Pit</blockquote>
[*] 1.4.2 Wool
<blockquote>[*] 1.4.2.1 Wool - Jhelom
[*] 1.4.2.2 Wool - Yew Farms </blockquote></blockquote> </font color=27408B>
<font color=blue> 1.5 Price Guide </font color=blue>
<font color=blue> 1.6 My Tailoring gains </font color=blue>
<font color=blue> 1.7 Macro Guide</font color=blue>
<blockquote> <font color=27408B> [*] 1.7.1 How to make Oil Cloth (or any other item that require cloth)
[*] 1.7.2 How to make Studded Tunic (or any other item that require leather).
[*] 1.7.3 How to make your own cloth… </blockquote> </font color=27408B>
<font color=blue> 1.8 Final comments </font color=blue>

<font color=blue> 1.1 What to make and when: </font color=blue>
I basically wanted to use as little leather as possible, I preferred spending cash at the tailor shops buying cloth rather then harvesting hides for hours. <blockquote>

I started with<font color=27408B> 0 real skill</font color=27408B>, went to Britain to find a tailor so that I could <font color=27408B> buy the skill</font color=27408B> up a bit. Paid less then 300gc and got the real skill up to <font color=27408B>29,1</font color=27408B>.
To ‘buy’ skills say “|Vendor Name| teach”.
He or she will then list the skills of which he/she can teach you. Reply with “|Vendor Name| teach Tailoring”. The vendor will then list the amount of gold he want for the job, drop the gold on him and you get a instant skill gain of about 29 full skill points in tailoring

Ok your now at about 29 real skill, if you have high enough DEX you will already be able to make <font color=27408B>cloaks</font color=27408B>. (<font color=27408B>41,4</font color=27408B> displayed skill required). If not then make the hardest possible item you can make. Click here for more information about skill requirements..

I continued to make cloaks until robes became an alternative on the tailoring menu, at around <font color=27408B>53.9</font color=27408B> displayed skill. I made cloaks for hours, but when I got closer to being able to make Oil Cloth I decided to start of my 2nd Power Hour with making <font color=27408B>Leather Tunics</font color=27408B> to boost the skill a bit… Got 2,5% in less then 20minutes using 750 leather, and was now ready to make <font color=27408B>Oil Cloth</font color=27408B>.

Oil Cloth only require 1 piece of cloth, so even if you fail you will still only be using that 1 piece of cloth. The macro I used recycled the Oil Cloth back into bandages, which my warrior and tamer use plenty of.
It took about 1 hour to get trough each pile of 1000 cloth, but the skill gain I got even outside PH was worth it imo. I also used my 3rd PH for making Oil Cloth without seeing any huge difference in the skill gain I got.

At <font color=27408B>93,2</font color=27408B> I decided to try and mix up with some leather to see if the gains would come easier. So I used PH number 4 on making <font color=27408B>Studded leggings</font color=27408B>, until I could make <font color=27408B>Studded Tunics</font color=27408B> (<font color=27408B>95,4 displayed skill</font color=27408B>). The gains were indeed good, but it was burning leather at an unacceptable pace. Time to go back to Oil Cloth *sighs*

I continued to make<font color=27408B>Oil Cloth</font color=27408B> until I hit <font color=27408B>99,6%</font color=27408B> At this point I had over 3000 hides waiting to be used, so I switched back to making <font color=27408B>Leather Tunics</font color=27408B>. Got the last <font color=27408B>0,4%</font color=27408B> in less then 30mins outside power hour… and could finally call myself a <font color=27408B>Grandmaster Tailor</font color=27408B>. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

</blockquote> <font color=blue> 1.2 What to do with the items you make. </font color=blue>
I recycled all the items I made back to cloth/hides even at low levels, however you should only do this if you can afford the loss of a potential income (selling to npc’s or other players). <blockquote>

If you plan on selling the items to NPC’s, UO Assist got a great feature called ‘Sell Agent’ that should be of great help to you.

The Sell Agent lets you sell 50 of an item put into its sell list back to a npc at the time, at the click of a button. A great click saver... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

A note to this also, is that if you are overweight when you sell, you will receive a check for the gold, rather than gold itself. (so be careful if your hoping to use the gold to rebuy cloth).

I quote from the FAQ
<blockquote><hr>

… cutting up leather/studded armor you've made to get some leather back. You can do this on clothing items too to get cloth back (you can't cut up death robes or newbie cloths). The higher your tailoring skill the more leather/cloth you'll be able to salvage. When you hit Master Tailor you should be able to usually get half the leather/cloth back that it took to make the item. This saves a lot of time and/or money when you're in the last big pull to GM and don't want to spend money on hides or time on gathering them. But at lower levels it's really not worth it--you'd do much better selling what you make. If your tailoring is less than about 60 you might not get more than one hide or one yard of cloth back, and for some reason sometimes when you only get one hide/cloth back it is neither stackable nor usable.

<hr></blockquote>

Oil Cloth will NOT recycle back to cloth; you will be producing bandages instead….

</blockquote><font color=blue> 1.3 Tailoring A-Z: </font color=blue>
******************************************<blockquote>
<font color=27408B>A – Arcane Clothing</font color=27408B>
(copied the parts of The Tailor Essay found at stratics about Arcane Clothing and did some updating)

Skilled tailors with the skill level of 80+ (displayed skill) can use Arcane Gems on some pieces of clothing and thus create Arcane Clothing.

To use the <font color=27408B>arcane gems</font color=27408B>, double-click a gem and then target the piece of clothing you wish to make arcane. You must already have an <font color=27408B>exceptionally</font color=27408B> crafted piece of clothing, and it must be one of the following: Robe, cloak, leather gloves, or thigh boots.

Arcane clothing items receive a <font color=27408B>maker's mark</font color=27408B> automatically, even if the tailor who crafted them is not a GM tailor... it's not optional.

The arcane clothing lets you use charges of it in place of reagents. When you cast a spell without sufficient reagents, the clothing will lose one charge for a 1st circle spell, 2 charges for a second circle spell, and so on up to 8 charges for an eigth level spell. Charges will only be drawn from the clothing if the wearer does not have sufficient reagents for a spell in his backpack.

When the charges are gone, the arcane item loses the special appearance it was given when it was made arcane, although the label remains (complete with maker's mark)... It can be <font color=27408B>recharged</font color=27408B> by targeting it with another arcane gem, but you won't necessarily recharge it fully with one gem even though only one gem is required to enhance a piece of clothing.

Arcane clothing is charged with 20 charges for a GM Tailor. For each 5 points lower, one charge is deducted. So from 95.0 to 99.9 skill, only 19 charges will be applied and so on. By combining a robe, cape, thigh boots and leather gloves you can be equipped with 80 charges maximum. You do not have to be a GM tailor to recharge an Arcane clothing item that has run out of charges. However, the higher your tailoring skill, the more charges will be added (with a maximum of 20).

Arcane clothing can be dyed like regular clothes, but it cannot be blessed. Also, do <font color=27408B>NOT</font color=27408B> change blessed clothing into Arcane clothing since the blessed status will *not* be retained.

<font color=27408B>B – Buying the recourses you need to GM ?</font color=27408B>
There are many ways to GM, it up to you how you wish to do it. Personally I preferred spending cash at the tailor shop in Britain buying bulks of cloth, rather then gathering hides. Hides give faster skill gain, but takes a lot of time to collect…

I used over <font color=27408B>32,000 cloth</font color=27408B> to gm, or 650 bolts bought from npc’s. These are sold at 100gc each so I spent about 65k of gold on cloth alone…
Hides are also sold at NPC’s, the ‘fur traders’ sell them at 3gc each. If you chose to buy from other players or of auction sites, expect the price per hide to be anything from 10gc to 20gc each. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/disgust.gif

You might want to try www.uo-auction.com to check the prices for bulks of hides at your shard…

<font color=27408B>C – Changing sub-servers can help gains</font color=27408B>
The world known as Britannia is divided into zones or sub-servers. If you fail to gain for a long period of time, or just gain very slow, changing sub server might boost your skill gain.

Don’t know what a sub-server is or how to find one ? Well using UOAuto-Map you can clearly see the server lines dividing our land. Other ways to find them naturally would be if you sail around in a boat and come across ‘turbulent waters’ and all your backpacks closes.

List of sub-servers with town on:
1. Britain
2. Yew
3. Trinsic / Jhelom / Skara Brae
4. Cove / Minoc
5. Vesper / Nu’jelm / Magincia / Buccaner’s Den / Haven / Serpent’s Hold
6. Moonglow / Artic Island / Fire Temple
7. Delucia / Papua

<font color=27408B>D – Dying helps gain ?</font color=27408B>
I didn’t personally test this to boost my tailoring gains, but other have reported that it might help.

<font color=27408B>E – Evil Mage, Shadow, Nightmare Cloth</font color=27408B>
(info taken from Markeedragon:)
“…Mage lords used to spawn 4 different shades of Blue-Grey robes, including this very dark blue-&gt;shadow color. This color which is refered to as Shadow or Nightmare is the darkest of the 4 shades. The spawn was rumored to have stopped because the Shadowlord faction now wears this color as their uniform. One Location where it used to spawn was in Fire Dungeon….”

“…tailors could cut the robes up into cloth and make clothes out of these robes. If you have any clothes made from this cloth, hold on to them, and possibly bless them. They will become pretty valuable as time passes…”

<font color=27408B>F – Finding good places to gather Wool &amp; Hides…</font color=27408B>
Once you find good hunting spots for this, you should be able to gather far more then you can carry in no time. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
(see the “1.4 Collecting Hides/Wool…” section of my post)

<font color=27408B>G – Gather your own raw materials whenever possible..</font color=27408B>
Both Wool and Hides are pretty easy to gather, but will require you to put a lot of time into it.
(see “1.4 Collecting Hides/Wool…” for more information)

<font color=27408B>H – Hides</font color=27408B>
Using hides or leather will increase you skill gain per hour, but gathering hides can be a pain. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/crazy.gif

<font color=27408B>I – Invite some friends into party mode before you head out to gather wool/hides.</font color=27408B>
It can get very lonely and boring gathering wool/hides all alone, but if you’re in party mode at least you can still chat with your friends. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=27408B>J – Journal</font color=27408B>
I keep my journal up at all times. As I often do a lot of ‘multi-tasking’ so I tend to miss a few messages here and there. However giving the journal a quick look now and then keeps me up to date.

<font color=27408B>K – Keep track of your skill gain and recourses used…</font color=27408B>
I would recommend that you make some sort of log over how much leather/cloth you use per day, what you make and the gains you get. By comparing your results to others you might find that there are better ways of training tailoring then the one your currently using…
And hey, if your experiencing better gains then the rest of us please share your ‘secret tricks’ with the world. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=27408B>L – Leather Dye Tub</font color=27408B>
The Leather Dye Tub is a 2yr reward, so your account must be 24 months to dye leather with the tub.
However anyone can change the color on the tub, even if its locked down in a house your not friended to.

(Fig 3.1 – Leather dye tub colours with thanks to SugarMonkey.)

<font color=27408B>M – Macros</font color=27408B>
I use a program called UO Assist which is a legal 3rd party program by Tugsoft for running macros.

Making good macros is extremely important and WILL make your life as a tailor in training much easier. The macro I used for making oil cloth, made 35 oil cloth in one go, and cut them to bandages. The macro allowed me to work my tailoring skill much more efficient then if I were to do it ‘manually’.

(see the macro section of my post for more information)

<font color=27408B>N – No matter what, Don’t give up !!!</font color=27408B>
There will be times when it seems so boring, and useless to gain tailoring that your thinking of giving it all up. DON’T !! Take a few days off from tailoring and work on your ‘l337’ warrior, or whatever characters you prefer. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Whenever I hit a “skill wall” a few days away from the skill seems to help…

<font color=27408B>O – Oil Cloth</font color=27408B>
The most common way to GM Tailoring perhaps is by making Oil Cloth from the second you can make them and stick with them all the way to 99,6%. Using hides might give you the gains faster, but you will be burning hides like a madman.

Oil Cloth only requires 1 cloth, even if you fail, so they are excellent for working outside PH as well.
Use a scissor on the oil cloth and you’ll be mass producing bandages…

So in short Oil Cloth is OSI’s gift to the tailor /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=27408B>P – Power Hour</font color=27408B>
You should always try and use your PH’s as efficient as possible. Don’t waste half your PH on getting the cloth/hides ready, making enough sewing kits.

With the resent changes you can now write ‘powerhour’ and see how long it is till your next PH starts. So with a bit planning it is pretty easy to arrange all of this prior to your PH, so that you can use the entire PH for tailoring. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=27408B>Q – Quality of the tools helps gain</font color=27408B>
Its been reported that using GM made sewing kits will help let you gain skill faster.
(also read the ‘T – Tool’ section for more information)

<font color=27408B>R – Read the boards &amp; stay updated.</font color=27408B>
With patches comes changes/fixes, and unless you know about them you might be missing out on important news. Also try to read as many guides and essays about tailoring as you can find, before you ‘make up your mind’ on how YOU want to GM this skill. Even though I GM’ed Tailoring ‘my way’, does not mean that my guide is the best for you.

<font color=27408B>S – Special Dye Tub</font color=27408B>
The Leather Dye Tub is a 1yr reward, so your account must be 12 months to dye items with the tub.
However anyone can change the color on the tub, even if its locked down in a house your not friended to.

(Fig 3.2 – Special dye tub colours with thanks to SugarMonkey.)

<font color=27408B>T – Tools (Sewing Kits)</font color=27408B>
You will need a lot of sewing kits to GM Tailoring. Sewing Kits can be made by ‘any’ tinker, but I recommend that you use GM made sewing kits. The reason for this is simple: they will last longer. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

(found in the faq:)
“… Sewing kits are exhausted after 51 uses much like many other tools. However, if you're lucky enough to find one made by a grandmaster tinker, they should last as long as 198 uses…”

(also read the ‘Q – Quality of the tools helps gain’ section for more information)

<font color=27408B>U – UO Assist &amp; UO Auto Map</font color=27408B>
Without these two 3rd Party Programs, I don’t think I would be where I am today. UO Assist is GREAT for keeping track of recourses, and running macros with… (see the macro section at the bottom of this post, for some basic examples)

And the detailed maps UO Auto-Map provide you with will for sure make your life in Britannia a lot easier. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=27408B>V – Veteran Rewards</font color=27408B>
Every tailor with respect for himself and his profession should eventually get themselves one of these nice Leather Dye Tubs. The Leather Dye Tub is a 2 year reward, so you cant use it unless your account is 24 months+ old.

<font color=27408B>W – Wool</font color=27408B>
You can get wool by shearing a sheep using a sharp item like a dagger. ‘Use’ as in double click, not *gank* it. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

(Fig 3.3 –Before and after picture. (taken from the Tailor essey)

Use the wool on a Spinning Wheel to make balls of yarn. Then use the yarn on a loom to spin it into bolts of cloth.
(see the macro section for more information on how to make this easier)

<font color=27408B>X – X-Mas what will santa will bring the tailors this year ? </font color=27408B>
My best bet would be nothing, but we can always keep our fingers crossed and hope. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=27408B>Y – Young player ?</font color=27408B>
If you’re a ‘young’ player, tailoring might not be the best way to make a living for you as a new character. People like to suit up in GM made armour if not magic, before they head out to hunt…

However selling Fancy shirts to a NPC can be a profitable way to start the game as well...

<font color=27408B>Z – ZOG Cloth</font color=27408B>
(info taken from Markeedragon)
“…Zog green doublets and Ranger green items spawn on bowyers in haven if you get caught killing them you will be banned…”
Don’t say I didn’t warn you, this is a big “no,no”….

</blockquote><font color=blue> 1.4 Collecting Hides &amp; Wool: </font color=blue>
As a general rule: if the ‘hunting ground’ is far from your house or the bank, bring a packhorse. A packhorse can carry 1600 stones each, which is far more then any man. Just remember to feed it every now and then.
Packhorses can be bough at most stables at around 500-1000gc each. To stable your pet, say ‘stable’ to ‘a animal tamer’… and ‘claim’ to get your pet back. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote>
<font color=27408B> 1.4.1 Hides </font color=27408B><blockquote>
<pre> Animals yielding hides
Bear, brown/black 12
Bear, grizzly 16
Bear, polar 16
Bull 15
Cougar 10
Cow 12
Goat 8
Goat, mountain 12
Llama 12
Hart, great 15
Hind 8
Panther 10
Walrus 12</pre>
1.4.1.1 Hides - Artic Island
My favourite place to gather hides. The walruses got 12 hides each and are very easy targets, plus they spawn all over the island. You better bring a packhorse up here if you are going to do any serious hide collecting.

(from the faq:)
Full of animals, walrus, white wolves, polar bears and snow lepords. All these spawn all over the island, takes minutes to fill your backpack full of hides. I would stick to walrus as they are fairly easy to kill where as polar bears are a little harder. Beware of Frost Trolls and Orc Camps..

(Fig 4.1.1 – Radar view of Artic Island.)

1.4.1.2 Hides - Barrier Island
Very close to Trinsic, which makes this a perfect hunting ground, however the Murderer NPC’s can be a problem. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/squint.gif

Lots of Hart spawn again, with some Bulls and Llama's. Excellent spot for hide collecting and not to far from the city either. Cross the bridge that’s South East of Trinsic and you should find it. Beware of Murderer NPCs.

(Fig 4.1.2 – Radar view of Barrier Island.)

1.4.1.3 Hides - Delucia
Also a brilliant spot to gather hides, only a short walk away from the bank. Don’t kill the bulls if tamers are taming them, let them finish the tame at least. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Delucia offers many places to hunt. Cows and Bulls spawn just inside the town limits if you go directly west from the bank, and just to the side of the healers. Not only is there cows and bulls but plenty Harts and Great Harts, also hide bearing animals. These are just outside town limits, North of the Cow/Bull spawn. Beware of the Orc Camps....

(Fig 4.1.3 – Radar view of Delucia.)

1.4.1.4 Hides - Jhelom Bull Pit
This place is swarming with small animals, but got plenty of cows and bulls to offer as well. And again, don’t kill animals if a tamer is currently taming it. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
Lots of animals still spawning here despite what some people think. Very easy to fill your backpack up again. Go south east from the bank till you come to three teleporters. Step through the one nearest bank and you should end up at Jhelom Bull Pit.

(Fig 4.1.4 – Radar view of Jhelom Bull Pit.)</blockquote>

<font color=27408B> 1.4.2 Wool </font color=27408B>

<blockquote> 1.4.2.1 Wool - Jhelom
Lots of animals spawning here, but not all of them are sheeps. Use this as a alternative to the Yew Farms.

(Fig 4.2.1 – Radar view of Jhelom Bull Pit.)

1.4.2.2 Wool - Yew Farms
This is the number 1 place you will want to go for wool. Lots of sheep spawn here…

(Fig 4.2.2 – Radar view of Yew Farms.)</blockquote></blockquote>

</blockquote><font color=blue> 1.5 Price Guide: </font color=blue>
Giving exact prices is close to impossible, as it will differ from shard to shard and person to person selling… but this list should give you a general idea of how much do charge:<blockquote>
<font color=27408B>Studded Set: 1000-2000</font color=27408B>
Tunic, legs, arms, gloves, gorget

<font color=27408B>Studded female set: 1000-2000</font color=27408B>
Female studded tunic, legs, arms, gloves, gorgets

<font color=27408B>Leather basic set: 500-1000: </font color=27408B>
Tunic, legs, arms, gloves, gorget

<font color=27408B>Leather female basic set: 500-1000: </font color=27408B>
Female leather tunic, legs, arms, gloves, gorget

The more extra stuff you add in like: sandals, cloaks, body sash, hats or whatever the more money you can charge for the set. However don’t overdo it, if people want just the studded armour then adding 10 other items to the package may make them go look elsewhere…

</blockquote><font color=blue> 1.6 My Tailoring gains: </font color=blue>
My detailed logs start off at <font color=27408B> 29,1 real skill. </font color=27408B>.

<blockquote><pre>
Start End Gain Made Leather Cloth PH Time (GMT)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
<font color=8B1A1A>29,1 53,8 25,4% Cloaks / Robes - 5000 Yes 02:00</font color=8B1A1A>
53,8 61,1 7,3% Robes - 5000 No 03:15
61,1 64,5 3,4% Robes - 5000 No 08:00
64,5 66,2 1,7% Robes - 5000 No 10:00
<font color=8B1A1A>66,2 68,7 2,5% Leather Tunics 750 - Yes 06:55
68,7 76,6 7,9% Oil Cloth - 1000 Yes 07:15</font color=8B1A1A>
76,6 81,2 4,6% Oil Cloth - 1000 No 18:15
81,2 84,2 3,0% Oil Cloth - 1000 No 03:00
84,2 88,0 4,2% Oil Cloth - 1000 No 04:05
<font color=8B1A1A>88,0 90,8 2,8% Oil Cloth - 1000 Yes 17:00</font color=8B1A1A>
90,8 92,0 1,2% Oil Cloth - 1000 No 23:00
92,0 93,2 1,2% Oil Cloth - 1000 No 00:05
<font color=8B1A1A>93,2 94,4 1,2% S.Leggings 1600 - Yes 24:00
94,4 95,0 0,6% S.Tunics 1000 - Yes 00:35</font color=8B1A1A>
95,0 95,6 0,6% Oil Cloth - 1000 No 01:10
95,6 96,4 0,6% Oil Cloth - 1000 No 01:35
96,4 97,0 0,6% Oil Cloth - 1000 No 02:45
97,0 97,9 0,9% Oil Cloth - 1000 No 04:00
97,9 98,9 1,0% Oil Cloth - 1000 No 05:45
98,9 99,6 0,7% Oil Cloth - 834 No 06:55
99,6 100,0 0,4% S.Tunics 993 - No 08:00
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL: 4343 32834 4 PH’s 20H (?)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------</pre>

(Fig 6.1 – Woohoo finally GM Tailor.)

</blockquote><font color=blue> 1.7 Macro Guide: </font color=blue>
I used a program called UO Assist for macros. UO Assist is a legal 3rd party program, developed by Tugsoft .
Your macro suddenly not working ?
Try using the count resources macro, if nothing else helps...<blockquote>

<font color=27408B> 1.7.1 How to make Oil Cloth (or any other item that require cloth) </font color=27408B>
This macro will create a Oil Cloth and then cut it into a bandage.

Hit record:
[*]Double click the sewing kit
[*]Select the ‘Oil Cloth’ using the tailor menu
[*]Target the bolt of cloth you wish to use.[*]
[*]Double click your scissor
[*]Click the ‘Oil Cloth’ you just made
Hit Stop

[*]Change the first line of the macro from "Use Item" to "Use Item Type".

(Fig 7.1 – Right click Use Item.)
[*]Change the 3rd line of the macro to "Target – last target".
[*]Change the 4th line of the macro to "Use Item Type".
[*]Change the last line of the macro to "Target Item Type".

(Fig 7.2 – Right click the last line.)

[*]Change the name of your macro and lock it down. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Then click the "Keys" tab and scroll down to "Play Macro X" and set a key to the macro. I use the F1-F9 for macros.

Your command lines should look exactly like this when you are finished:
Use Item Type
Menu Selection
Target – last target
Use Item Type
Target Item Type

NOTE: The macro will give you a error message the first time you run it, as it wont find the item your trying to make yet. I chose to leave out the pause in the macro to save some valuable Power Hour time. Leave the last two lines out if you DON’T want to cut the Oil Cloth to bandages.

This macro will also work for any other ‘cloth’ item

<font color=27408B> 1.7.2 How to make Studded Tunic (or any other item that require leather).</font color=27408B>
This macro will create a Studded Tunic and then cut it into leather.

Hit record:
[*]Double click the sewing kit
[*]Select the ‘Studded Tunic’ using the tailor menu
[*]Double click your scissor
[*]Click the ‘Studded Tunic‘ you just made
Hit Stop

[*]Change the 3rd line of the macro to "Use Item Type".
[*]Change the last line of the macro to "Target Item Type".

[*]Change the name of your macro and lock it down. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Then click the "Keys" tab and scroll down to "Play Macro X" and set a key to the macro. I use the F1-F9 for macros.

Use Item Type
Menu Selection
Use Item Type
Target Item Type

NOTE: The macro will give you a error message the first time you run it, as it wont find the item your trying to make yet. I chose to leave out the pause in the macro to save some valuable Power Hour time. Leave the last two lines out if you DON’T want to recycle the Studded Tunic back to leather.

This macro will also work for any other ‘leather’ item

<font color=27408B> 1.7.3 How to make your own cloth… </font color=27408B>
This macro will help you create bolts of cloth.
For this macro to work you will need wool in your backpack pluss stand next to a Loom, and a spinning wheel.

Hit record:
[*]Double click your pile of wool
[*]Click on a Spinning Wheel
[*]Double click a ball of yarn
[*]Click on the Loom
[*]Click on the Loom
[*]Click on the Loom
Hit Stop

[*]Change the 4th, 6th and 8th line of the macro to "Use Item Type".
[*]Insert a pause after the 2nd line of around 1000-1500.
[*]You may also need to add pauses in between the usage of the ball of yarns

Use Item Type
Target
Pause 1500
Use Item Type
Target
Use Item Type
Target
Use Item Type
Target

NOTE: The macro will give you a error message the first time you run it, as it wont find the balls of yarn yet.

</blockquote><font color=blue> 1.8 Final Comments: </font color=blue>
******************************************<blockquote>
I made a post earlier about carpentry much like this one, the feedback I got after releasing it inspired me to make another but this time about tailoring.

I’d like to remind you that this might not necessarily the best way, the fastest way or the cheapest way to GM Tailoring…. But it was my way of doing it. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Special thanks to Blade Swinger for inspiring me into writing this. Ohhh and thanks for the help on filling in the A-Z section of my post. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Note: If anyone have ideas for more useful macros, or have questions about any part of this ‘guide’ please post a reply here or PM me. </blockquote>

<center>

<font color=000080>Lord ViDDi</font color=000080>
<font color=436EEE>Ex. Mayor Of Serenity (Europa)</font color=436EEE></center>

I

imported_Blade Swinger

<blockquote><hr>

Note: If anyone have ideas for more useful macros, or have questions about any part of this ‘guide’ please post a reply here or PM me.

<hr></blockquote>

I'll make the post sticky and leave it open so others can post comments, or tell you where you need to update it.

Excellent work ViDDi /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

<center>
</center></center><center><font color=red>UO Tailor, Europa and European Trade Moderator</font color=red></center><center><font color=blue>Level 4 treasure hunter for hire - Buying Boards/Ignots</font color=blue></center>

I

imported_Slayer_X

Im at my highend oil cloth state, 94.0 i had me a separate macro on another key that was for Using Sissors and Targeting an oilcloth
it goes like this
Use Item Type (sissors)
Target Item Type (oil CLoth)

so i just make them till the bag is full and cut them all up, that way you dont have to move them to the recycle bag or eleswhere.

S

Sugar Monkey

My hides collector has the following macros:

1. A macro for using my newbie dagger.
Use item: newbie dagger

With this macro, you don't have to dig around in your pack for something to skin hides with. (Also, double clicking on that tiny little dagger over and over can kind be of a pain.) Just hit your hot key and it brings up the targetting cursor.

2. A macro for cutting the hides into leather
Use item: scissors
Target (item type) hides

These two macros used together makes hide collecting go much faster.

S

Static-Napa

I have two macros, one is -
Use item type (sewing kit)
Menu Selection (oil cloth)
Target item type (cloth)
pause 1000
use item type (scissors)
target item type (oil cloth)
pause 1000

I mainly use the above one, but when my pack gets down to 60-70 items I use this macro to fill it up with oil cloths again
Use item type (seweing kit)
menu selection (oil cloth)
target item type (cloth)

It works pretty well, not sure if its the most effecient thou.

- - - - -
<font color=3A5FCD>Your skill in 4.5 Cent a Minute Calls has increased by 0.2%. It is now 50.5%.</font color=3A5FCD>

D

darkelf

You missed out one part about hides...

Dragons, Drakes and Wyverns give 20 hides each. A regular tour of trammel destard, especially in the evenings can give you plenty of leather... You do need to be careful though

<center><font color=purple>Garfield, The Pink One of Europa</font color=purple>

</center>

G

Graelion

Wow. Thanks for the excellent post. Must have been terribly time consuming... much like tailoring itself. I have 'pause 1000' between my oil cloth making cycles, and 'pause 2000' at the end, and i have been getting through only about 500 or so cloth per ph. Time to change my ways, I guess.

Graelion: Gm Smith, Gm Tinker, Gm Miner, Carpenter in-training, Tailor in-training.
Lathandar: Gm Alchemist, Gm Scribe, Mage in-training, Stoic in-training
Abraxus: Gm Mace fighter, Gm Swordsman, Gm Tactician, Gm Healer (Anatomy), Gm ... um... weapons'-swing-blocker-guy(Parry)

N

Nemo the Bard

I am currently in PH working my tailoring on AOL Legends. Just hit 92.9 real.

I use the aforementioned UOA macro (use sewing kit/menu item/cloth/use scissors/oilcloth) with NO PAUSES. I guess it all depends on connection, but I play in two locations: at my parent's house on a cable modem, and on my campus network at school , which varies in quality from better than DSL, to worse than dial-up. In both locations I can avoid pausing. Occasionally the macro hangs around the cutting part, but I just hit it twice again (once to abort macro, another to restart).

<center>Retired General and Merchant of AOL Legends
Visit the <font color=708090> Ivory Harp </font color=708090>in <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ppffl.com/ultima/Avernia.html> Avernia</a> <font color=red>102-7N X 36-37W </font color=red> Trammel
Pain Heals, Chicks Dig Scars, and Glory lasts Forever</center>

F

Flagg (GL)

All looks great. Here is a helpful tip though. When collecting hided drop all the hides into a "recycle bag" then just hit your recycle key as you running to the next kill.

G

you guys are wasting powerhour time on fancy uoa macros.
mine is tailoring last item 100x
thats it
record it by hitting the last item button in the tailoriing menu 100 times.
thats it.
i put 200 yards of cloth into a pouch and i have a few sewing kits in the main pack at the bottom so i can see them while i write this.
hit the uoa macro button and read this board telling me how you guys waste so much time.
when the pouch has like 117 oil cloths i drop it on the bank floor.
i do this in felucca delucia as its in the lost lands server.
when ph is done i have 12 pouches full of oil cloths on the floor. then, then, then,
I LEAVE THEM THERE!!
guys, who cares about 1100 bandages from oil cloths?
i mean, you can buy 22 bolts of cloth and cut them up in 30 seconds and have 1100 bandages.
it takes uoa unravel macro a ton of time cutting up all those oil cloths.
JUST LEAVE THEM THERE.
my entire powerhour is tailoring. nothing else needed. no time wasted.
it takes 15 seconds to dump a pouch and put another one in, put cloth in and start the macro again.

S

Son Goku

hmmm... actually it isn't that hard to make a nice little macro with UOA for tailoring... it goes like this..
double click sewing kit (Use Item Type)
select oil cloth (Menu selection)
Pause 1350 (i believe 1250 works great if you don't freeze up or lag)
double click scissors (Use Item Type)
Target oil cloth (Target Item Type)
Pause 50 (just in case it freezes or lags)

and thats it

S

SiN-SL

i followed viddias post exactly gmed tailoring in 5 days! thx for the post! makes me look down on tailoring tough, was to eeasy wasnt much fun :(

G

GM Drake

Two things I wanted to add=)
1)Lizardmen and alligators in trinsic swamp are a very good way to collect hides.
2)Selling Fancy shirts to a NPC is a profitable way to start the game.

N

Naryagil

Yes it does. My story:

I was really stuck with tailoring, gaining only .1 in ph. So, I went to Vesper bank Felucia (Europa), put my belongins in bank box, took few gc's with me and walked to provisioners house next to Vesper smith. I bought some cloth and made a nice blue robe and a hat for me. With me, I only had my gnarled staff of ID with few charges left.
I started walking towards Britain, waiting for some action, picking up reagents just for be able to cast few spells before dying... nothing happened, only a nice lady followed me few moments and few mongbats got hit in their head with my staff. I was looking for some action and didn't want to get killed without honor.
I passed Britain and walked around Brit.Moongate...nothing. "Where are all PKs?" I yelled... so hit my runebook and friend's Marble in Fire Island and let the Drake do the job... got myself rezzed and slept over friends house.
Got up early, mined some agapite and went home.

Started with Oil cloth - 300 bandages gained .5
Continued with some Studded leggings and gained 1 whole point with them. So, dying do reset things, hope it helps my smithing too.

Yours,
Glorfindel (sorry, not very personal)
GM Carp, master tailor/smith/miner/tinker/alchemist + expert mage

G

the issue here is time. making as many oil cloths as you can inside ph.
my 100x last item macro maximizes time.
i now place 120 yards of cloth in a pouch and have 7 sewing kits on hand.
when my pack is full i dump the pouch and get another. (btw, im working on another tailor now)
i can get 13 to 14 pouches full of oil cloths in ph.
thats 1500 oil cloths made in a ph.
can you say that?
also, its easy to stick with oil cloths to 99.6
just read the boards. the gain is fast enough

N

Naryagil

Well,
I did GM my tailoring. It came rather easy. Oil Cloth to Bandages until 99.1, then it seemed to stuck. At next powerhour, 10 mins Tunics with leggings added and there I was.
Since I have two fighters living in a same building and also a tamer, I rather keep those bandages than throw those cloths away.
With a good macro (as shown above) 1000 bandages in powerhour is not even an effort...
With a little help /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

btw. I have also GM'ed my alchemy and smithing after last post /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

V

Von Ravend

Something to add/change is that now UOA Sell Agent will sell 50 (not 5 anymore) of an item put into its sell list. So you can clear out your backpack very fast.
A note to this also, is that if you are overweight when you sell, you will receive a check for the gold, rather than gold itself. (so be careful if your hoping to use the gold to rebuy cloth).

I

imported_Blade Swinger

I'll give him a prod to update the thread /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

V

ViDDi

*updated*

And as for the hunting spots for hides that I have left out, I can only say that my intentions was to list only the saftest spots. But I guess I can add in a few others as well if thats what people want /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif
(I'll fix that later during this weekend I hope)

Im sure there are many good spots out there, but I wouldnt drag my packhorse after dragons risking loosing it all just because they give more hides then cows/bulls. (or whatever animals people prefer gathering hides from)

I guess I just like to play it safe /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Regarding the macros:
They are only ment as a starting pointer as to who it can be set up to make things easier. Im sure there are both better and faster ways of setting up macros now, since the macro guide was posted prior to the new fancy menues in uo. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Pathagiris

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
macro works good but i want to make it longer so i dont have to always hit the button. do i need to put a pause in between the sets and if so how long? also do i need to do the macro out x number of times or is there an easier way

S

Sib

my macro will produce about 4x that. If your really that conserned about time then why not use muliple sewing kits at once?

L

lollypop

I s there any way to get the macro to play continuously- it seems hitting the macro key is no faster than make last.....

T

TroiN

could someone pleeeaaase send me UOassist ??
i <font color=blue>&lt;edited by Tancred&gt;</font color=blue> cant realy understand how uoassist installs itself (downloads patches and others)

Feenicks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I s there any way to get the macro to play continuously- it seems hitting the macro key is no faster than make last.....

<hr></blockquote>

No legal way. But you can record the action numerous times in the one macro im pretty sure, so you are getting a few goes for each macro press.

P

pantlej

I am a relatively new player, and do not understand your explanation of the power hour, I thought that the power hour was the first hour of each day (logged on) for each char.

B

Back From Hell

if u look at the file that UoA saves for ur macro it could look something like this -
[**Macro Data**]
Locked=0
MacroName=Make 50 Last
0MT=5
0ED=6202BB00BA996D03042598020374FC0102030405010203
0EDSZ=23
0CK=-49
0RX=999
0RY=999
1MT=4
1DV=1000
1RX=999
1RY=999

this is a 2 command macro, its make last followed by pause 1000.
The number at the front of each line is the command number, needs to increase by 1 each time u use another command. Have a look at ur UoA folders and you should be able to work it out.

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I am a relatively new player, and do not understand your explanation of the power hour, I thought that the power hour was the first hour of each day (logged on) for each char.

<hr></blockquote>Power Hour is long gone (Pub 16, summer '02). That's just one of the many things this guide is out-of-date on.

S

SIR ZEUSS KoR

isnt there some where on stratics that list on one screen all the things that give colored hides?

G

Not sure if there's a list. Gonna try my luck with one here:

Spined: Lizardmen, Ratmen, Savage Ridges
Horned: Wyvern, Drakes, (Deep) Sea Serpents
Barbed: Nightmare, Dragon, White Wyrm (not sure on Shadow and Ancient Wyrm)

[edit]
Totally incomplete hehe. Here's the better one.

G

Grond

Dame Judi posted this over in UO Sonoma...
<blockquote><hr>

I just recently GM'd a tailor in about 15 hours. (No I didn't do it all at one sitting) This is the formula I used.

41.1 - 53.9 Cloaks
53.9 - 74.6 Robes
74.6 - 99.6 Oil Cloth
99.6 - 100.0 Studded Gorgets

I used around 40k pieces of cloth and 1k hides.

<hr></blockquote>

D

DuCulbert

you dont have to move anything into a recycle bag...make them IN the recycle bag. In order to make them in the recycle bag, all you have to have is your pile of cloth in the bag...then tailor away. Just remember to move your good cloth out of there before hitting your recycle macro key.