• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tabula rasa: Financial Disaster

G

Well ultima has a lore the is ingrained in people. There is something about wizards and warriors.

If tabula rasa was about dragons, I would have tried it.

G

Alas I fear the market for MMORPGs is saturated. It's going to be hard for anyone to attract the critical mass of new players needed to make the huge startup costs work. Of all the projects I've read about lately, the only one that feels like it could break new ground and draw people in is Spore and it's not even intended to be a MMORPG - it's just that I see it potentially evolving into one a few years down the road.

G

I am surprised yet not.

I lost interest in Tabula Rasa the minute I found out it was going to be a Sci-Fi game. Had it been a new Ultima style game I may have quit UO to go play it but something about futuristic Sci-Fi action does not seem fun to me lol.

R

Ravenspyre

<blockquote><hr>

Alas I fear the market for MMORPGs is saturated. It's going to be hard for anyone to attract the critical mass of new players needed to make the huge startup costs work. Of all the projects I've read about lately, the only one that feels like it could break new ground and draw people in is Spore and it's not even intended to be a MMORPG - it's just that I see it potentially evolving into one a few years down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]I seriously dobut this has to do with market saturation. I am actually looking for a good sci fi MMO or a modern day MMO. However, having played in the beta, and good God is RG loopy, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, like I have always been saying, RG has lost complete touch with gaming in general. The gameplay and premise of TR.... and all the development time, with all the money he milked from NC; honestly I am starting to see the other side of the coin when RG likes to blame EA for all of Ultima's shortcomings in it's later years.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I am surprised yet not.

I lost interest in Tabula Rasa the minute I found out it was going to be a Sci-Fi game. Had it been a new Ultima style game I may have quit UO to go play it but something about futuristic Sci-Fi action does not seem fun to me lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

My feelings exactly

A

Aboo

I am not surprised either. I played the beta and I just couldn't get the feel for it. Coming from Richard Garriott I expected something like UO and it sure wasn't.

I

imported_Sarphus

TR never interested me. I'm not particularly surprised it flopped. I am surprised how badly it flopped.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

i couldn't get into it either
expected alot better from RG.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

wasn't him leaving UO part of the buyout deal with EA ?
i forget why he left us in the first place.

R

Ravenspyre

<blockquote><hr>

wasn't him leaving UO part of the buyout deal with EA ?
i forget why he left us in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]No. Him leaving was his own little decision, and he's been making a stink of it since. As far as RG and UO, RG had practically nothing to do with UO, and I know I have explained that to many times before. Starr Long was the one who worked and pretty much created UO, while Garriot was busy with ultima 9.

G

It is a bad, bad idea to take 6 years to make a game in this constanly changing and upgrading gamer market.

G

That is why development was restarted twice.

If he didn't commit himself to NCSoft and Tabula Rasa, I bet there was a chance EA would have hired him back after World of Warcraft took off.

G

All that BlankSlate is ... is that Garriott wanted to release "World of Starcraft" before Blizzard did.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I am surprised yet not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Word.
I think everyone and their dog could have seen this disaster coming. There are already several space MMORPGs and the entire MMORPG market an sich is very saturated. In order to properly make it you will need -a hype (there wasn't one) -lots of advertising (more than a banner on Stratics) -a very, VERY good game (from what I've heard it's not the holy grail).
Nearly all new MMORPGs have failed, except WoW.

The sad part is that the conservative gaming industry will limit any new games to film-based plots (LotR, Star Wars, Disney etc.) or play it safe with a WoW ripoff. UO was something new. Innovative.
I reckon we won't see any new innovative MMORPGs for a long, long time. If at all.
There's too much money in the gaming industry atm. Back before some guy in his mum's basement could make a killer game. Nowadays you need a huge team in order to make a game. This team needs to get paid, ergo big money involved. Investors want to be sure they get their money back and then some, ergo some cheap rip off from some game that was successful in the past.

Sometimes I'm glad I've left the gaming industry.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually UO was made by RG. He was the creator of Ultima for god's sake. Starr Long might have had a heavy hand in the development. But UO was RG's baby. RG created the original land mass and the dungeons and towns. They wouldn't have been able to make UO without RG.