• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

T-maps no more

syndael

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am about to pull my hair out,
I though oh how fun! would it be to do some T-maps I got from SOSing. ooooh how wrong I was.
I get on my Tmaper, I have 100 cart, and mining. I open the map ( in fel ) go to the location, open UO Cartographer, start looking for the chest.
over a hour later, along with checking the map to make sure I am in the right fact, and area. NOTHING! can't even dig up the damn thing. Tired again and again, even was asking for help in general chat.
That pretty much killed it for me, im now getting ready to sell the level 5 and 6 and then trash the rest of the maps.

Ru TnT

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have access to a Davies' Locker? It gives you the coordinates(just the degrees part) of the map. It really helps with finding them, even for a character without mining.

Just use the Locker, then find your way to the area using a sextant/UOAM/UOCartographer. With the coordinates, you should only have to search a 15x15tile area, which is easy for a miner.

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra posted a pretty good way to find the map spots because I find davie jones locker is useless for location spots.
open the map on your screen and take a Print screen shot and post it to MS paint. center on the treasure map and expand to 400% approx.
open cart scale to the same as the snap shot
and go to the location...the chest is usually slightly above and to the right of the pin.
if you search uo stratics I am sure you will find the exact link...but this works for me with 100 mining
then I just compare the spot in MS paint

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am about to pull my hair out,
I though oh how fun! would it be to do some T-maps I got from SOSing. ooooh how wrong I was.
I get on my Tmaper, I have 100 cart, and mining. I open the map ( in fel ) go to the location, open UO Cartographer, start looking for the chest.
over a hour later, along with checking the map to make sure I am in the right fact, and area. NOTHING! can't even dig up the damn thing. Tired again and again, even was asking for help in general chat.
That pretty much killed it for me, im now getting ready to sell the level 5 and 6 and then trash the rest of the maps.

Check out these Stratics pages, they gives a lot of good informations on how to more easily find treasures and on guardians and so forth...

http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/skills-and-professions/treasure-map-quests/finding-maps

http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/skills-and-professions/treasure-map-quests

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All that for a single map? o_O If you got more, just skip the one and go on. With 100 mining they are usually found within a minute, so its definitely not usual.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a combination of Petra 's technique and 100 mining. If the map is in tram or fel I can usually start digging in less then 1 minute. I recall close with The old rune library, then I enlarge a screen shot and compare to UO cartographer. I will be making digging noises in no time after that.. .
My plan is to make a rune library of the other facets as I dig those locations.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might be a stupid question ... but are you really shure, your map is for fel?
(Happens to me once in a while, when a tram map gets snuck into my pile of fel maps. Takes usually some time for me to realize that i am on the wrong facet.)

syndael

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it was in fel, by skara / brit crossroads. I double checked it thinking it did the same thing. lol
I tossed the map and moved on to a new one. With everyones help here, I was able to dig up the new chest pretty quickly.
Thank you!

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You dont have to toss maps away. After sitting for 30 days in your bank box, they reset their location and become tattered again. (I use it, when a fished up map ends up in the middle of a swamp, where i would have to deal with way nastier spawn than the map would be worth.)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a combination of Petra 's technique and 100 mining. If the map is in tram or fel I can usually start digging in less then 1 minute. I recall close with The old rune library, then I enlarge a screen shot and compare to UO cartographer. I will be making digging noises in no time after that.. .
My plan is to make a rune library of the other facets as I dig those locations.
Contact Lord Gareth. He made a kind of library for Chesapeake that can be copied

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know. I know a copy of the library found its way to Europa, but who did it and how I've no idea. Ask him?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is doing t-maps useful, fun or profitable now these days? After so long of playing I finally made a cartographer.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know people that make millions and millions selling loot from maps.... But you need to be able to solo the big boys to get the chest that have really great loot.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No paragons on treasure maps - if you'd care to follow the link popps kindly posted to the treasure map quests page you will find a list of what creatures spawn as guardians arranged by level of chest and facet.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've also noticed that for some people, ALL maps that function similar to T-maps will display their points off considerably. For me, if I go where the map says I should be, and all the means of locating the map everyone recommends say I should be, the ACTUAL location is about 10 steps off of that indicated point to the SE, in the classic client. In Enhanced, it's usually where the map says it should be.

I believe this MIGHT be a side effect of adjusting the game window part of the classic client away from its default position. As my Enhanced client is still set in its default location, I'm not sure if it might be susceptible to the error.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
No paragons on treasure maps - if you'd care to follow the link popps kindly posted to the treasure map quests page you will find a list of what creatures spawn as guardians arranged by level of chest and facet.
I have had a few paragons spawn as guardians in Ilshenar.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've also noticed that for some people, ALL maps that function similar to T-maps will display their points off considerably. For me, if I go where the map says I should be, and all the means of locating the map everyone recommends say I should be, the ACTUAL location is about 10 steps off of that indicated point to the SE, in the classic client. In Enhanced, it's usually where the map says it should be.

I believe this MIGHT be a side effect of adjusting the game window part of the classic client away from its default position. As my Enhanced client is still set in its default location, I'm not sure if it might be susceptible to the error.
It's not Basara, I only use the EC for maps and I've moved my screen to the middle and have stuff on both sides and the successful dig spot is exactly in the same place on the tmap as it is on the atlas map.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi I just started doing treasure maps again after like a 10 year break. Needless to say I foregot how to do the maps after a long break. So to the original poster did you single click on the map to get the prompt to dig for map location? When I first went out I just started digging thinking since I read the map that was all I had to do. After like 45 minutes of trying to locate the spot I realised my mistake. I have started slow with the level 1 to level 3 maps to get my thoughts togather on how to approach things for the best use of my time. I still have some maps where i can not find the location I have like 52 mining, so I plan I getting up to GM mining to help speed up the process. Actually up to 95 then use the plus 5 mining gloves. I thought I read some where that a special shovel will also add plus 5 to mining. Does any one know how to acquire one of these tools?
I tried loading some of the tools that help with map locations but I had a difficult time to get them to work. I use only the Classic Client I'm an old vet that never was able to get use to the enhanced client. I am having a lot of fun actually and plan on doing the higher level ones once I get use to the process of surviving the intial spawn once the chest is unearthed. I'm going to mark another rune near by and try and recall out before they target me. I figure there is a second or two before that happens and will have sacred journey pre casted. Thoughts?
Also since I play on Europa Petry where is the rune librabry that you spoke of on our shard for the treasure map locations? Thank you.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi I just started doing treasure maps again after like a 10 year break. Needless to say I foregot how to do the maps after a long break. So to the original poster did you single click on the map to get the prompt to dig for map location? When I first went out I just started digging thinking since I read the map that was all I had to do. After like 45 minutes of trying to locate the spot I realised my mistake. I have started slow with the level 1 to level 3 maps to get my thoughts togather on how to approach things for the best use of my time. I still have some maps where i can not find the location I have like 52 mining, so I plan I getting up to GM mining to help speed up the process. Actually up to 95 then use the plus 5 mining gloves. I thought I read some where that a special shovel will also add plus 5 to mining. Does any one know how to acquire one of these tools?
I tried loading some of the tools that help with map locations but I had a difficult time to get them to work. I use only the Classic Client I'm an old vet that never was able to get use to the enhanced client. I am having a lot of fun actually and plan on doing the higher level ones once I get use to the process of surviving the intial spawn once the chest is unearthed. I'm going to mark another rune near by and try and recall out before they target me. I figure there is a second or two before that happens and will have sacred journey pre casted. Thoughts?
Also since I play on Europa Petry where is the rune librabry that you spoke of on our shard for the treasure map locations? Thank you.
I think you're talking about Jacob's Pickaxe. I've never had one, but I think they are easy enough to get by completing the mining quest from Jacob, the mining instructor outside of New Haven. I think they boost your mining skill by 10; however, the information regarding this tool on the Stratics website seems to show that these only have 20 charges. I think the charges will replenish themselves over time, but I don't know if you can inadvertently break/destroy the pickaxe by using it up or not.

Sorry I can't tell you any more about it than that, but I think that is the tool you're talking about.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you're talking about Jacob's Pickaxe. I've never had one, but I think they are easy enough to get by completing the mining quest from Jacob, the mining instructor outside of New Haven. I think they boost your mining skill by 10; however, the information regarding this tool on the Stratics website seems to show that these only have 20 charges. I think the charges will replenish themselves over time, but I don't know if you can inadvertently break/destroy the pickaxe by using it up or not.

Sorry I can't tell you any more about it than that, but I think that is the tool you're talking about.

Thank you I will check it out, I'll try and get some info and post here. :)

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The jacobs pickaxe increases the mining skill by 10 but only has 20 charges on it. I have not tested it out as far as what they mean by charges perhaps when you actually dig up something you use a charge. Jacob said it will recharge over time, I suppose you could do the quest using differant characters to acquire a larger quantity of these. It's a pretty easy quest actually, btw jacob is on the west side of haven where the caves entrance is located.

Joshua Ravenloft

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The jacobs pickaxe increases the mining skill by 10 but only has 20 charges on it. I have not tested it out as far as what they mean by charges perhaps when you actually dig up something you use a charge. Jacob said it will recharge over time, I suppose you could do the quest using differant characters to acquire a larger quantity of these. It's a pretty easy quest actually, btw jacob is on the west side of haven where the caves entrance is located.
Don't think digging a map uses a charge, only mining ore with it... Plus, I'm sure I read somewhere once that no extra bonus in mining over 100 (just in case anyone is planning to use this item on top of GM mining).

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't think digging a map uses a charge, only mining ore with it... Plus, I'm sure I read somewhere once that no extra bonus in mining over 100 (just in case anyone is planning to use this item on top of GM mining).
Sounds reasonable I will test it our tonight, I'm looking for something to raise the skill up to GM untill i can get the skills up normally. I have a character on chessie with like 80 real skill that I will bring over to Europa via a shard shield transfer token.

Joshua Ravenloft

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds reasonable I will test it our tonight, I'm looking for something to raise the skill up to GM untill i can get the skills up normally. I have a character on chessie with like 80 real skill that I will bring over to Europa via a shard shield transfer token.
Extreme mining (using a gargoyles pick axe and prospector tool to up the level of ore being mined) is a good skill builder and earner because you get the ore Eles which carry 25 ore (50 ingots worth). Best template for those is a dexer with a soulseeker for a wep.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh Thank you Joshua on how to raise the mining skill, but I was not very clear on my last post i'm afraid. I meant that the mining gloves and the pick axe will come in handy to raise like my real skill hits 85 these items will bring it to a 100. i actually have a GM miner but its on another account and not the account I am doing the treasure maps with. I Have a huge amount of colored ore that I can smelt to raise the skill and I might buy some pink scrolls to increase the skill as well. I really appreciate your input, i'm like a newbie with these maps. But that's what makes it fun is the learning (relearning) of this. Thanx again!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Luckily, I happen to be the moderator on Craftsman, so I have the answers...

The Jacob's pickaxe only uses charges when mining for ore, and does not break when it hits 0 charges. IIRC, it recovers 1 charge every 3 or 5 minutes (forget which - not used one for actual mining in a couple years). It's best used for digging maps, and smelting ore if under 100 real skill.

It's usually more convenient to use the context menu of the map and target the ground, rather than the "click tool, target map, target ground" method, when using the Jacob's Pickaxe.

Once the chest starts coming up, you can disarm, and rearm with your weapon or spellbook - the dig won't retroactively fail from your mining skill going down.

If you use the pick for smelting, and want to combine the bonuses of the gloves of mining and the pickaxe to get to 105, equip the pickaxe with gloves off, then equip the gloves.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Basara good info. I did some mining this mourning and raised it from 80 to 82.5 and once I get it to 85 then I will use the pick axe and +5 mining gloves to get it to 100. Then I will find the locations of like 10 maps and mark runes and place them in a book and go back with the maps and change out the mining skill for a fighting skill. Of course ishlenar I have to approach diferantly since you can not mark runes there. Thx again.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Just a small tidbit to throw in here that might be useful to someone...

If Davies locker gives you the sextant coordinates, and you're using UOA, you can also just type "-where" in game and it tells you your coordinates.

Been using that a lot lately for various purposes.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Though you might missing out on 380 luck people wear in hand slots when digging with maximized luck suits.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I believe that the chest is generated at the end of the dig when it pops out of the ground, not the start, so you could easily remove the mining gloves during the dig, and and dress macro the luck gloves on before the chest pops.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Aldric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I believe petemage is correct as soon as you found treasure location and dig once luck is use. So no turning back and changing gloves for more luck.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well what I am doing for now untill I get my skill up to GM mining is to mark the spots of like 10 maps using the mining +5 gloves and then go back with my normal gear on. Even when I get to GM mining I will probably continue using that method. By keeping Cart and mining skill off my warrior this gives me a lot more flexibility for skills to use. But after reading these posts about luck, I may want to imbue a luck suit for the reasure chests if it makes a big differance.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
even if it's first dig, you can get mining gloves up to 140 luck through imbuing and enhancing, so it's not exactly a big hit.