• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

SUPERNOVA NERF POLL

Should Supernova potions now activate with a one second delay at the use location?

• Total voters

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Poll is public so we can see who votes what.
Lol ^^RL Union Boss

I'm kinda torn here, it makes sense that your little chemical bomb might take a second for it to create a big plume of fire after hitting the ground. But, I like the wildcard aspect of it and don't mind swearing at my monitor once in a while when I die and think it's hella funny to watch ppl faceplant instantly when they get set to run for their lives.

I say tweak the dmg down a little bit and keep it no delay, ppl just gotta play smarter and not get so low.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vote for less damage (if the devs insist on nerfing them) with no delay as most players use those as an end shot, so it has to be quick enough, and the target must be low enough. I am super unhappy with the 1sec timer, but im ok with the conflags timer

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vote leave them alone, get better at UO and understand when you're being set up for a kill shot. Not everyone is skilled enough to use novas effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hellfire111

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They shouldn't be touched. I don't know why you would add a delay. You already have a potion called an explosion potion. This is a no brainer. #savenovas

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They add a delay because anyone without Alchemy on their template has nothing as good as Supernovas (novas were OP being instant 20-27 damage that couldn't miss unless the "user" can't time something instant?)

If they return to being instant 20 damage. they need to get up to 20 damage from EP alone and no longer gain any further increase from Alchemy... so that any template can use it, instead of only Alchemists.

There's nothing wrong with the 1 second delay they have on TC1 anyway. (they're still pretty amazing in-fact)

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Problem I have with supernovas isn't in single use... it's in group fights when pushing a bridge or trying to take an area that has a narrow channel to push through. Fight all the way up, the opposing teams caller screams nova and it's an Insta-death to you and your team when 11 people nova.... and if you don't die - you client crash cause...(well I do anyway)

Hellfire111

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alchemy already has a potion with delay. The biggest issue with this nerf wouldn't be a dmg update it's the delay. If they dropped the delay it would be fine, but GM alchemy should have a damage bonus on them because any dmg based pot is skill based not EP based. Why should every pot that is offensive and the purpose of have alchemy be nerfed to a delay or cool down... that's absurd.

Hellfire111

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem I have with supernovas isn't in single use... it's in group fights when pushing a bridge or trying to take an area that has a narrow channel to push through. Fight all the way up, the opposing teams caller screams nova and it's an Insta-death to you and your team when 11 people nova.... and if you don't die - you client crash cause...(well I do anyway)

This wouldn't be fixed with current nerf. You would just die 1 second later. Assuming all of them have alchemy which the people who are against it are complaining about.

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
People were going to keep complaining about Nova if this shuts them up fine I'd prefer this than it doing less damage.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not me, that's crazy. The delay is at the spot you press it. No good player at low life is ever going to be in the supernova range spot one second later.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My choice isn't in the poll... I think super nova needs a tweak, but favor rescaling the damage as opposed to a delayed reaction.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all the people who voted yes probably arent in vvv and just want them essentially taken out of the game (which is basically what a 1sec delay would do)

on a side note:
selling supernova pots 1gp each if this goes live.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
all the people who voted yes probably arent in vvv and just want them essentially taken out of the game (which is basically what a 1sec delay would do)

on a side note:
I'll buy every single nova pot you have for 1gp if this goes live.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

on a side note:
I'll buy 'em too.

And no, it's not a "non-vvv players" thing, nor will a 1-second delay actually be as bad as everyone's saying it is.

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Spellplay will change just a bit - supernova will be used a smidgen earlier - that's all I see happening.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
So weird, half the people who voted yes so far haven't posted a single thing in any of the PVP threads. I wonder who these people are?
Many are hesitant to post when told to "learn to PvP" or worse when those ideas do not mirror those few that are very adamant about how this should happen. Just sayin'.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spellplay will change just a bit - supernova will be used a smidgen earlier - that's all I see happening.

if its a 1 second delay, wouldnt the enemy be out of range by the time the nova goes off?

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
if its a 1 second delay, wouldnt the enemy be out of range by the time the nova goes off?
Yes - but what I mean is the nova hits before the last big dump... so not flamestrike nova magic arrow - but setup a macro that the move starts as you hit the flamestrike, nova goes first...

It just means no one will stay on screen anymore... but they already don't do that...

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol why are we touching novas nobody even complained about it until the devs started this 'make your own UO' business.

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am serious, who are these people who voted yes? are they just trammy friends or what? cause I have never heard of any of them.

Legendary Rick

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yea for real, why they always need to change a good thing, only real skilled players use Novas the way they are suppose to be used, people rock expensive suits on alchy temps, especially if your fitting it into an archer with ninja and resist, no need to make any changes to it.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Expose that failure to get kill shots without novas more.... I need more jars to collect the tears... soon the world will have no land left (who said anything about global warming?)

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back the days of not being able to kill anyone decent on a mage because they can offscreen before you get your kill spell off every.single.time.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you implying that I'm not "good" at pvp? At killing people on a mage, specifically?
No, I know you're good, but you're biased as hell saying things like supernovas are the only way to get a kill shot. besides most templates are getting an SDI increase

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The point of the nerf to novas is so that Alchemy isn't the only choice out of the remaining skills that don't penalize SDI bonuses from Focus spec.

on live shards, if you don't have alchemy. you don't get 20-27 damage novas like (everyone else) because there are so few people playing without alchemy its ridiculous. (most of them are dexers without room for it lol)

virem

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOLOL there's an animation showing when its going off. RIP supernova RIP alchemy.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
No, I know you're good, but you're biased as hell saying things like supernovas are the only way to get a kill shot. besides most templates are getting an SDI increase
Ahhh, I see. I was not aware of an SDI increase. Maybe these developers aren't COMPLETELY clueless.

But back to my point, yes. Supernovas are the only way to kill anyone "good" if you're on a mage. If you are killing players on a mage without them (in a field 1v1, not a duel on foot), then I'm sorry, but you are not killing "good" players. As a matter of fact, most top tier players won't even die to a mage WITH novas.

Last edited:

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The point of the nerf to novas is so that Alchemy isn't the only choice out of the remaining skills that don't penalize SDI bonuses from Focus spec.

on live shards, if you don't have alchemy. you don't get 20-27 damage novas like (everyone else) because there are so few people playing without alchemy its ridiculous. (most of them are dexers without room for it lol)
Alchemy does not allow you to use novas, it only makes them do more damage. Is it a substantial amount of damage? Yes. But it's a fair trade-off for another skill, such as resist, bushido, ninja, etc. And besides, the whole SDI nerf for people with parry is ridiculous. Now they're nerfing SDI WITH parry AND Supernovas? These developers are going in reverse. They really have no clue what they're doing.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Alchemy does not allow you to use novas, it only makes them do more damage. Is it a substantial amount of damage? Yes. But it's a fair trade-off for another skill, such as resist, bushido, ninja, etc. And besides, the whole SDI nerf for people with parry is ridiculous. Now they're nerfing SDI WITH parry AND Supernovas? These developers are going in reverse. They really have no clue what they're doing.
100.0 skill points is a fair trade-off for up to +14-21 more damage (depending on cursed target) for an instant item with no cast time that cannot miss..
when conflags are useful, cure bonus with cure pots, heals, stat pots. Lets take scribe for example, what do you get with that? better yet, why are so few people using it?

lol, I'm begining to wonder if you even know what a "Trade-off" is man... how is 100.0 Alchemy worth the trade for 120.0 Ninjitsu ?

30% SDI + a free 27 damage nova (no, it can't miss), or Animal form and 15% SDI ? where's that balance at?

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
100.0 skill points is a fair trade-off for up to +14-21 more damage (depending on cursed target) for an instant item with no cast time that cannot miss..
when conflags are useful, cure bonus with cure pots, heals, stat pots. Lets take scribe for example, what do you get with that? better yet, why are so few people using it?

lol, I'm begining to wonder if you even know what a "Trade-off" is man... how is 100.0 Alchemy worth the trade for 120.0 Ninjitsu ?

30% SDI + a free 27 damage nova (no, it can't miss), or Animal form and 15% SDI ? where's that balance at?
It is better than scribe, although a 10 sdi bonus and additional reflect/resists with magic reflect/reactive armor is decent (however, I will concede that scribe could probably use a buff itself); but there ARE trade-offs, and they are pretty fair (all things considered).

Ninjitsu for example has numerous benefits (just like Alchemy). Ninjitsu for one, allows you to animal form if dismounted, which is VERY beneficial when dismounted. Also, Mirror images deflect damage, which is also a HUGE bonus when being dismount ganked. Without ninjitsu, you have to rely on a pet, which isn't too good when you're fighting a group that knows how to poison/para/kill them. Also, Ninjitsu contributes to the LMC bonus of having 200/300 of certain skills. If you've ever played a char with the bonus, and then replaced a skill for one that doesn't give the bonus, you would notice a HUGE difference in your LMC.

Then there's resisting spells. Resist has NUMEROUS benefits. There's the fact that you don't have to worry about para spams, mana vamps, poison spams, sleep, blood oath, slow from holy fist, curse reducing stats by more than w/o resist and there's so much more.

No, all things considered, alchemy is not overpowered. Some skills (like scribe) are just a little under-powered (for today's game).

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is better than scribe, although a 10 sdi bonus and additional reflect/resists with magic reflect/reactive armor is decent (however, I will concede that scribe could probably use a buff itself); but there ARE trade-offs, and they are pretty fair (all things considered).

Ninjitsu for example has numerous benefits (just like Alchemy). Ninjitsu for one, allows you to animal form if dismounted, which is VERY beneficial when dismounted. Also, Mirror images deflect damage, which is also a HUGE bonus when being dismount ganked. Without ninjitsu, you have to rely on a pet, which isn't too good when you're fighting a group that knows how to poison/para/kill them. Also, Ninjitsu contributes to the LMC bonus of having 200/300 of certain skills. If you've ever played a char with the bonus, and then replaced a skill for one that doesn't give the bonus, you would notice a HUGE difference in your LMC.

Then there's resisting spells. Resist has NUMEROUS benefits. There's the fact that you don't have to worry about para spams, mana vamps, poison spams, sleep, slow from holy fist, and many more.

No, all things considered, alchemy is not overpowered. Some skills (like scribe) are just a little under-powered (for today's game).
Shows how much you use ninjitsu, mirrior images have been bugged for about 3 years. hit-spells hit both you and the images (making them useless).
You shouldn't need animal form if you get dismounted with parry? (I know, you're talking about group pvp), cant balance everything around group pvp. you end up with single templates that can't die one vs one, and um... that's pretty close to where we are now eh?

So, you say Scribe could use a buff.... What kind of buff would you say Scribe should get to make it worth considering?

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Animal form works against dexxers/archers... it's not useless at all. And 1v1'ing is dead. It was when they adding reforging. Once Archers were able to do insane amounts of damage in short periods, they killed it. Archers were OP as ****, until everyone started playing parry mages. That's what really killed it. They made it where the only way you could survive some of these offensive onslaughts was by playing with parry. They made the game start to have insane damage output, and the only way for people to counter-act that defensively, was to add parry, which didn't reduce the damage of any given blow, or make opponents swing slower, it just made the game RNG based.

That leads us to today. We have a heavily RNG based game, where many skills are useful against certain templates, but not against others (parry, magic resist, etc), and the only way to survive the offense of certain templates, is to play a very defensive template.

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seeing has how 50% of the PvP playerbase is banned from stratics, and we're still leaning towards NO.. I'd say this is open and shut. I checked the "Yes" list and I can identify some of them as people who only play siege and don't pvp or use novas.

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not saying this is the right one, but novas need a change. They require absolutely zero thought to use effectively. At least spell trigger, which is probably the closest comparison one could make, requires you to find time to recast it before you can use it again.