• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suggestions on a Template/Tactics to steal Powerscrolls/SOTs in Felucca ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there anyone expert at stealing Powerscrolls and SOTs in Felucca at Champion Spawns?

If so, what would be the best advice on a template build, armor included, and tactics to use to have fun with this template ?

Thanks

R

Robthemilt

Theres a bunch of us. If you're planning on stalking spawns you have three general types. Mage/Ninja/ Tamer.

I play a ninja because i dont see all the "perks" to magery as being worth the skill points. If im visible im in Ozzy form, which means i cant cast anyway. When i had magery i used it for all the same things i use Chiv for now, and guess which suit is cheaper to build...

Currently im working with
120 Stealing
120 Stealth
105 ninja
100 hiding
100 snoop
100 detect
65 chiv
55 tracking
44 med.
Some of these are rounded to the nearest whole point because im always changing stuff.
I wear a burglars bandana
Shadow Dancers
a ring with.. 13ninja/14 eval, 9/14 hci/dci, and 13 lrc (i guess i should sell, i only need the ninjitsu)
and a bracelet 7 ninja/15 stealing, +more BS
Im also considering putting the cloak of silence on him but i dont need the points, it would just make sense.
Overall My resists are for some reason lacking...54 phys and 70's. I went with major Stam regen when i built this suit but honestly am not sure why. I'd suggest HP regen, That'll be my next major renovation.

Basically what you should do is get in contact with me ingame and i'll show you my library which as a decent section just on thieves in game.

But since i've got the time,
I use CTRL-Z for my last object macro. To make this work you need to pull the paperdoll up and double click their pack. Then you hit your Last Object macro when you're standing next to them and it'll snoop them for you.
I use a macro for armslore, CTRL-C, I use that to target the item.
I use a CTRL-X for my Steal last target, animal form. This macro takes the item from their pack puts it into mine, and puts me in ozzy form so i can be halfway off screen before they even know im there.

Aside from those you'll also want a macro for shadow jump, a single steal, animal form, Detect hidden, tracking, and hiding.

To help myself no die to trying to use skills that are still on "cool down" i have attatched timers. When i make a steal because i cant cast invisibility im in the open until that cooldown time is over. So the macro is set to say something when the timer is up. For stealing the uo delay time is "100". So anytime i hit a steal macro it tells me when im good to hit another one. If you try to hide before that timer is up, it'll be longer before you can actually hide, so avoid that.

Other than that i find the best targets are necros in wraith from, naturally humans are best. They drop the most monsters during the spawn, and tend to stay in the same general area while killing the champ. And its nice when they step on you and dont even know it. Because i dont have any defense i try to avoid mounted archers if i can, unless they are the only available targets...Smokebombs and potions are your friends... and if you're on ATL, HOT doesnt know how to reveal a stealther...Dont be afraid to walk into a wither...or holy light...or ANYTHING a blue does...LOL.

You probably wont get anything worth while the first time out, but have fun with it. Half the time im out im more looking to **** people off than anything, and when i get something its a bonus.

Im probably one of 2 non mage thieves in the forum so im sure someone else will give you a rundown of the mage/thief.

C

Cruxshadow

I havent yet done any spawn stealing, but that is only because I have yet to stumble across anyone spawning while Im on my thief. I can tell you though that my template has been very reliable when Im pissing people off around yew gate. I run:

120 Fencing (100 real)
100 Tactics
120 Stealing (75 real)
100 Hiding
120 Stealth (85 real)
106 Ninjitsu (100 real, looking for +15 ring)
100 Snooping (90 real)
60 Chivalry

110 hp, 30 dex (i know, need to raise it), and 90ish int.

The weapon skill is mostly to help with defense as im running away.

Suit:

burglars bandana, shadow dancer legs, embroidered leaf cloak, gauntlets of anger, heart of the lion, runic gorget and sleeves to fill in resists. 15 stealing braclet with 11 dci, right now my ring is a 25 ep +6 ninja fc1 (but i want to upgrade to a 15 ninja fci with dci), and a dreads revenge kryss. I cant remember my exact resists right now (at work) but theyre all 60+ - 70 i believe.

My suit is basically all about the DCI so after I make the steal, it is harder to hit my ass while im runnin away waiting for the hide timer to lift. I usually dont try to toe to toe someone, only thing ive really killed with this guy is someones vollem that had gone gray, and that was just to **** em off.

I dont really chug too much, just because when i DO die, i dont like for them to get anything out of it. I carry about 2 or 3 smoke bombs on me and just run around in llama form stealthed snooping everyone until i find something i like. This guy rarely dies, but when it happens, its usually to more than one person.

The other night i was bored outa my mind and everything was insured, so i started stealing aids to kill the time. after about an hour or two, everyone stopped fighting each other and got really coordinated on me. Went to steal this dudes aids, and before i could even llama form, had 4 stealth archers pop up on me and 2 mages blastin me. It was pretty fun, and the best part was that i still got to keep the aids lol. Anyways, just throwin my temp out there and lettin ya know that i think its a blast. I dont think i would have a problem at a spawn, the biggest pain in the ass for me so far has been the elf passive reveal. But even thats not too bad if you just circle around behind them.

R

Robthemilt

Crux i've thought about running your template but for some reason im attatched to my detect hidden.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.......the biggest pain in the ass for me so far has been the elf passive reveal. But even thats not too bad if you just circle around behind them.

Elves can passively reveal anyone stealthing by them ??

If so, this means one can only target humans (or gargoyles now...) for steals while stealthed ?

R

Robthemilt

There are ways AROUND it man. Think about it as a puzzle. All modern thieving is in UO is figuring out how to do what you want to do...OR getting your target to do what you want them to do.

C

Cruxshadow

you can still steal from elves, its just harder to get in a snoop without being revealed. I find that the easiest way is to of course walk, stealthed, up behind them and stand like right behind their mounts butt. It seems like their passive reveal is only forward and the periferal, but not the back. The worst though is when you are wading through a yew gate battle and an elf runs by you within a square or two, then you get revealed almost every time. but ya, like i said, just go for their backs.

rob, what do you end up using your dettect hidden for? do you reveal other stealthers and steal from them? or do you use it for traps? i thought about DH, but it just wouldnt fit with the way i wanted to play. as for other stealthers, they are a pain and if i can get them snooped when they appear, that cool, but if not, i just let em be and concentrate on the cocky dudes standing outside the GZ at yew talkin s%*t lol. My original plan for this guy was to stealth, snoop, steal, throw DP shuriken, and blast away with kryss or run and hide. but the shurikens dont seem to work to well for me, probably due to the lowish ninja, so now i just steal and haul a$$ outa there.

C

Cruxshadow

rob, also wanted to ask. is your char elf or human? why such high tracking and med? i use the JOAT tracking and it seems to work pretty well. and as of right now my mana is way too high, but i have no med, but it seems like i dont really end up using enough mana to want med. only mana i use is from shifting forms, and i usually only really do that right before a steal. i stealth in llama form for the speed, then go to human right before i steal. i think the only times the mana runs out is if im tryin to kill something and spamming AI. if you keep DH, you might have some luck swappin out med and tracking for wrestling (for the stun and disarm). just a suggestion, not tryin to sound like a know it all or anything

R

RichDC

All the other templates suggested are mediocre at best for true spawn stealing!

120 Fencing (100 real)
100 Tactics
120 Stealing (75 real)
100 Hiding
120 Stealth (85 real)
106 Ninjitsu (100 real, looking for +15 ring)
100 Snooping (90 real)
60 Chivalry
This is the closest to viable but wasting ALOT of skill points, imo anyway.

This is more a Thug thief template designed for the days gone past when you could actually kill your marks! Now it is all about survivability and this template is wasting so much skill. Let me elaborate;

120 fencing.. great, definatly needed!
100tactics(why?? only 90 is needed and lets be honest you actually need 0 for the only effective thief avoidance strike...shadowstrike)
120stealing...imo a waste of 10 points, a true spawn thief will never be stealing above 7stones(replicas)
100hiding, a must
120stealth? (waste unless you plan to deathstrike, can gain another 40points here!)
106ninja...about right, needs to move to 110.
100snooping a must!
60chiv...imo 60 wasted points! canot heal on the run...end of statement!

The template i have used for a long time and will continue to use for a long time still is as follows;

100snooping
100hiding
120ninja
110stealing (ferret tali for the VERY rare occasion i notice something 11stone+)
110stealth
120wrestle
100alchemy

And still have points to play with.

Suit set up is, 15HPR 50EP(80 with alchy) 65DCI +around 80 in skill (shadow dancer legs, mark of travesty, DCI +stealth +wrestle bracelet)

Cant remeber what the actual HPI i have but, when i have potted and in wolf form i have around 170HP!

The tactics are simple, take your time...move slowly, wait for your marks to make a mistake...steal and run! Run some more(you shouldnt need to worry about moving shot archers too much) heal, cure, smoke bomb, tele ring/shadowjump. In the rare occasions, Disarm...deathstrike, run heal cure smokebomb...and GLOAT!

C

Cruxshadow

Some good points. I agree that your template does seem better suited for spawn stealing. And im glad you pointed out the tactics issue, i think i will end up replacing that for something else, as i havent really been fighting since i made this char. What do yall suggest i replace that skill with? I have the chiv basically for SJ and some healing and curing. I dont use pots really because i dont like for anyone to get anything off of me when i die. i usually take a little damage runnin away, but after i hide and stealth off, ill just cleanse or CW and be good to go. Also,my question is this, during a spawn, do you steal SOTs at all, or do you just wait until the champ falls and hope you are snooping the guy who gets the artie? im guessing you target a major damage dealer and just sit there with their pack open? arties only drop after the champ falls right? also, what is the success rate when you find someone working spawns? how often do you end up getting an artie out of say, 20 spawns? just curious as i havent yet done any spawn stalking.

R

RichDC

This si the problem with a spawn thief...you have to decide how you wish to play it.

Many a time i have passed up a mid-high level SOT in the hopes for a high end PS and ended up missing both!

I have started moving to wards, steal what i can get my grubby little hands on! However, if i see a group of dexers and blue mages working the spawn i will bide my time, have a look through everything...not where the High value SOT is(and have it on last target) and wait for the champ...then if no joy i will running steal that SOT.(blues cant reveal with area effects)

Its a betting game, depending how you feel...one spawn i pulled 3SOT's and a 120...many i have pulled nothing not wanting to reveal on low end goods.

Hmmm, if you pull tactics and Chiv of you have 160points, you could push that into healing/anat even split. You could try to find more Skill increase and keep the Chiv but i would suggest at least and 80/80 healing anat...Or, you could use Magic Resist and SW.

The magic resist and SW will give you a boost in defence and the SW although slow to cast(unless 4/6) can give you high healing/damage absorbtion and the pixies to ward of some mages.

C

Cruxshadow

what do you do if you get passive revealed? do you leave the spawn, or do you just keep on stealthin along. I normally dont have an issue with people knowing im around, especially after ive snooped the blue weekend warriors at the yew gate. i always figure the trams would have the highest chance of forgetting to insure an item. But i know this is different from spawns. it always seemed like it would be more likely that one would be revealed chasing someone around while they killed spawn, esp by elves. or do you wait till the champ pops and get em while theyre distracted?

R

Robthemilt

I do anything i want on my thief not just Spawns. Using Recalls to drop into doom can be a deathwish if you're not capable of invising right away. (smoke bombs are too spotty for me). And im on Atl, You know how many times i've recalled to spawn entrances, or even houses and been basically auto agro'd by reds? I'll keep my hidden travel method.

I actually have alchemy that im probably going to put on Sarme, in place of the tracking and med, after i take him back to human. Those skills are only as high as they are because i had room to kill. By med i think i meant focus, because i got tired or running out of stamina in form, when i first went elf. Initially I switched him from Human to elf because i was thinking that it would make it Harder to track me but im not really seeing a difference.

I use detect hidden just to be a pain in the ass. Most of the time im just playing around with it. But I do serve as a dismounter and anti stealther from time to time for my friends.

I do want some invis/tele items. How much are they going for now? and how long do they usually last?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My template ideas, all of which I use(d):
100 stealing (120 with leggings)
100 snoop
100 hiding
80 stealth (100 with leggings)
100 resist (or 100 detect hidden)
100 wrestling
60-70 ninja
around 40-50 chiv

Great for resisting spells to the point where a simple para alone wont lead to death. Shadow jump can get you right next to elves and away without risking the auto-detect messing you up. The chiv lets you recall and heal and since it only requires tithe, no need for regs or lrc.

Instead of resist I later switched to detect hidden. And let me say this. It is GREAT at getting to those scripters that have hiding in heartwood. Or anyone who thinks that hiding will save them from us thieves. I suggest detect hidden for any template. Wrestling, of course, to disarm and stun to help get away.

100 snoop
100 hiding
100 fencing
100 poisoning (still training, it's at 70 for me now)
100 detect
70 ninja

I later switched to fencing and poisoning just to change things up and it works very well. No disarm but I can at least do something in PvP aside from revealing the hiders :p

Just remember one thing. Shadow Jump is great for getting around without running into auto-detect.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I've used:

120 fence
120 steal
110 ninja
100 hiding
100 snoop
92 mage
80 poison
80 stealth

C

Cruxshadow

My template ideas, all of which I use(d):
100 snoop
100 hiding
100 resist (or 100 detect hidden)
100 wrestling
60-70 ninja
around 40-50 chiv
I like this idea, Ive had so much fun with my theif, that im thinking of making a new one, and i think im gonna check this out. gonna do a little altering to fit my style, but i have 2 chars that i recently decided to revamp, so i have a 120 wrestle, 100 ninja,hiding, and high stealing coming avail, so im gonna have to try out the wrestle thief.

When you shadow jump, are the marks able to see the little smoke puff?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They can see the smoke. But only if they are paying attention. The smoke only shows where you jumped from though.

C

Cruxshadow

Rob, what is the invisible travel your talking about? How do you recall into somewhere and be invisible upon arrival?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rob, what is the invisible travel your talking about? How do you recall into somewhere and be invisible upon arrival?
With sacred journey there seems to be a pause after the sound before you recall. During that pause you can hide and thus recall while hidden.

C

Cruxshadow

oh wow, thats good to know about. I prefer chiv over magery any day just due to the not having to worry about LRC, and still having an effective way to heal cure and recall without wasting alot of points. Definitely glad to hear about this SJ hiding thing. thanks

R

Robthemilt

You can also use gates from Tram to Fel the same way, Just hide when you get the confirmation message.