• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Suggestion: Bag Slot

Nuhaine

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm assuming that Project Gorgon doesn't want to make inventories too huge so players have to micromanage their inventories. However, it would be extremely helpful to have a 'bag slot' that would allow you to find or create a bag to store specific items. It would make managing your inventory a whole lot easier.

These bags would offer an additional 3-10 slots, but you could only store specific items within them. They would primarily be for storing items related to your profession. A foraging bag could store seeds and fruit, while a mining bag would store mining tools, slabs, and gemstones. You would need a high enough level in the skill to use the related bag.

Additionally, some bags could have features that make them desirable, such as a water pouch which allows you to stack water bottles, or a gardening bag for fertilizer stacking. The bags would, of course, take up a slot from your main inventory unless equipped items no longer showed up in the inventory.

To determine what to do with the items when the bag is equipped, there are probably three choices. When the bag is unequipped, you can cross out slots from your inventory equal to the number of used up slots within the bag, or you can allow the bags to simply hold the items until you equip it to take them out. You can also make the items transfer to your inventory when you unequip it.

Further Ideas:
A rare but powerful feature could be a 'Bag of Transmutation', which allows you to place items within and run a 'Transmute' recipe. It could be used for things like upgrading reagents (2 Fire Dust = 1 Sulfur, 2 Sulfer = 1 Saltpeter) as well as downgrading them, but requires an element of discovery.

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
We'll have a slightly more complex inventory system eventually, but we can't currently do separate bags. It will require a rewrite of the inventory system. So it will be a while down the road!

Mendel

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
One thing that would immediately help with the storage issue is if equipped items didn't stay in the character's storage. That would open up several slots. How much work this would be will depend on how the current system is implemented. (works as implemented) :)

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
One thing that would immediately help with the storage issue is if equipped items didn't stay in the character's storage. That would open up several slots. How much work this would be will depend on how the current system is implemented. (works as implemented) :)
I second this nomination unless having the equipped items in inv is not to just take up space, but to take up space because of the weight aspect. What I mean is, if your looking at inventory as weight instead of amount of room, then having the equipment in the inv shows that your still carrying that weight, however if that's not how your looking at it then I am right up with Mendel.

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Back in pre-alpha 2 I already added additional inventory slots to compensate for equipped items being in the inventory, as it was perceived as unfair by testers. So if I eventually make equipment not show up in your inventory window, I'll reduce the total capacity of the inventory window back down!

So the matter of whether they show up in the inventory window should be divorced from how many inventory slots you get, as that will stay about the same either way. I personally think not having them in the inventory window is weird and confusing, but I realize it's been common among games for a long time.

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well I didn't realize that it was taken into consideration previously although that's probably would have been a good assumption for me to make. Either way, I don't find myself running out of inventory space to often unless I've been out in the wilds for too long. Usually by that time I want to head back to town anyway, so I think I'd be fine with it either way.

awollsd

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Back in pre-alpha 2 I already added additional inventory slots to compensate for equipped items being in the inventory, as it was perceived as unfair by testers. So if I eventually make equipment not show up in your inventory window, I'll reduce the total capacity of the inventory window back down!

So the matter of whether they show up in the inventory window should be divorced from how many inventory slots you get, as that will stay about the same either way. I personally think not having them in the inventory window is weird and confusing, but I realize it's been common among games for a long time.
really I found it weird that my equipped items stayed in my invatory. I think of invatory as things in my pocket's and backpack. (the icon for invatory is even a backpack) if I'm wearing an item it certainly isn't in my backpack :)

I would vote remove the items equipped from inventory even if it means reduced total inventory space. but eh in the end I can deal with it either way :)

Brandon Lamb

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
+1 to removing equipped, I find this very, very confusing when I am trying to look through my loot, especially to compare new gear that I may have picked up. Having equipped gear in inventory feels "weird".