• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

stygian vs uoassist

• Thread starter The Ice Phoenyx
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
T

The Ice Phoenyx

will stygian remove uoa or will i be able to use uoa still as this program has shown me how to play uo and not lag half as bad while trying to make items/ use potions / run for my life (LOL more often than not) and when i was told uoa was authorized by ea i paid for the service on 5 accounts thats $75 cash i hope dont go down as a nostalgic memory of days long gone

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Straight from the latest Five on Friday:

Much of the functionality from UOAssist is already in the SA client. It might just take some getting used to the new UI. We’ve also removed the code that made it difficult for developers of approved third-party programs to support the new client.
-Supreem
So it seems that it will be even possible to develop a version of UOAssist that works with the new Stygian Abyss client. But of course it's up to Tug to decide if he wants to invest time in updating UOAssist to support the new client, it's not something under EA's control...

F

Fink

So it seems that it will be even possible to develop a version of UOAssist that works with the new Stygian Abyss client. But of course it's up to Tug to decide if he wants to invest time in updating UOAssist to support the new client, it's not something under EA's control...
It should open things up to more developers than just Tugsoft. UO:Assist became so entrenched in the UO experience for most people it would have been near pointless to try & compete, and extremely difficult to get approved by EA anyway. KR has proven that the new client engine is flexible enough for many coders & artists to develop some powerful & attractive extensions.

O

Old Man of UO

I HOPE NOT! The current KR client needs a bit of spit and polish, NOT a 3rd party program. The current macro system in KR works much better for me than most of what UOA does, although we do need a few more commands in KR. The KR macro systems runs sooooooo much FASTER than UOA! Try the dress macro for example.

But NO Stygian Assist! UOAssist isn't even updated any more... why would you want to depend on a program that hasn't been updated in 2 years?

K

kaylun

Tug said hes done with uoa so if the current one wont work we are out of luck since he said he will not update it anymore and will not allow anyone else to modify his code .

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When did he say that?

You're describing what the creator of UO AUTOMAP said.....

S

Stratic Fanatic

KR did almost everything UOA did.
If people played it they would know.
I dont need a bar at the top of my screen when I have a hotbar I can put anywhere.

:thumbsup:

K

kaylun

sorry your right was thinking about uo aotomap my bad. And to answer the whynot play KR I tried it and hated it so much I cant describe how bad it suks. If there wasnt 2d I wouldnt play uo anymore thats how bad KR suks.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
kaylun, you can't describe at all, it if your trying it was in 2007. Comparing KR in the 6 months after release to the current model is like trying a Model T, and insisting that the 2010 Mustang sucks as a result of driving the Model T.

KR as it currently is, with a good UI added like BB Enhanced, is probably more stable and easy to use than 2D for about half the character types.

Once you set everything to legacy keys/chat, it's a lot easier to adjust to.

I still only use it about 10% of the time (several of my macros target a specific target (vetting a specific pet, for example), and can't be made in KR), but those deficiencies hopefully will be fixed in SA client.

Frankly, though, it's too late to even be talking KR. Don't let your experience with KR bias you against SA.

S

Stratic Fanatic

kaylun, you can't describe at all, it if your trying it was in 2007. Comparing KR in the 6 months after release to the current model is like trying a Model T, and insisting that the 2010 Mustang sucks as a result of driving the Model T.

KR as it currently is, with a good UI added like BB Enhanced, is probably more stable and easy to use than 2D for about half the character types.
That is correct :)

And dont forget KR hasnt had a client update in over a year. (Content updates yes...but nothing else)

K

kaylun

I tried it for the first time 2 weeks ago KR that is sorry if our tastes dont alighn but it truly was a hoorible gaming experience for me . I thinkthe client lasted on my computer 2 days.

C

Cloak&Dagger

I tried it for the first time 2 weeks ago KR that is sorry if our tastes dont alighn but it truly was a hoorible gaming experience for me . I thinkthe client lasted on my computer 2 days.
You should try to be more specific than saying "it sucks" I feel KR is the better client in many ways but I do not play it, It has one bug for me personally (I am sure there HAS to be a way to fix it but just have not found it yet) that just makes it unplayable, the other thing is the look and general "feel" of game play is different. Would I say this makes it horrible or suck? no, it just does not fit my tastes but I would acclimate if they decided to stop using 2d (or if the SA client ends up being as good as it seems like it will be).

G

gramarye

Once you set everything to legacy keys/chat, it's a lot easier to adjust to.

I still only use it about 10% of the time (several of my macros target a specific target (vetting a specific pet, for example), and can't be made in KR), but those deficiencies hopefully will be fixed in SA client.

Frankly, though, it's too late to even be talking KR. Don't let your experience with KR bias you against SA.

Hmm, my experience differs. When KR was in open beta it ran just fine (superbly) on my comp - smooth, fast, really lovely to play. And I loved the new terrain graphics (hated the monster art but, hey, can't have it all) but after one particular patch all of that changed. Since then I agree with the previous post - completely unplayable for me - jerky, slow, unpredictable just unplayable. Damn, I didn't WANT to play 2d, I've alway disliked it, but, without it I just wouldn't be able to play uo at all now.

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As someone who plays on a mac, I can only hopeStygian Abyss works great, looks greats, and my program I use to emulate PC to play emulates it. As it is now, KR runs like crap on my system (between the emulator and heavy graphics, it's almost impossible) and I can't use Uo Assist or UO Auto map - and I miss Automap. I am really looking forward to these build ins.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what I have seen from the KR client, if you use the SA client you hardly will need UOAssist anymore. I actually would be glad if I could finally get rid of this additional tool.

O

Old Man of UO

From what I have seen from the KR client, if you use the SA client you hardly will need UOAssist anymore. I actually would be glad if I could finally get rid of this additional tool.
I couldn't agree more. From the few map pics I've seen, it looks even better than UOAM. I especially like the map markers for my body and the healers when I die... that is one of the more thoughtful features I've seen in KR.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KR did almost everything UOA did.
If people played it they would know.
I dont need a bar at the top of my screen when I have a hotbar I can put anywhere.

:thumbsup:
I think many players really never used UO assist and its more advanced features. Thus I often read statements like the above. I am not opposed to using KR, but it do not give me the ease of use as 2D does along with the tools UOassist and UOam.

I hope the developers of SA have used UOassist more extensively, so I can ditch 2D.

Organize agent: Buy 40 runes, set up a bag and macro and let UOassist move them for you into the bag of your choice. It can not only drop them on the bag, but place it on the top, bottom, left or right side, or in centre.

Macro recording example: Making a potion keg involves 2 different tools, and many different parts. With UOassist I can record a macro that eventually will create 5 potion kegs with one click.

Use only once agent: I can set up a key for opening all items in a pack, for example a bag of 10 plants I want to tend to. Instead of doubleclicking the bag, then clicking on every plant - I choose the bag, and hit keys instead. UOAssist makes a list of all the items in the bag and will open the gump of all of them. Once.

Vendor agent: Set a box as a vendor box and list all items inside to copy to a .txt file.

And many many more.

I have tried KR and when I am hunting that is my preferred client because of the ease in looting. It is however too unstable for me so I don`t always dare to use it. But when it comes to all sorts of decorating, gardening, customizing, stocking vendors, crafting or resource gathering I still must use 2D.

As for UOam - I don`t know if KR can create custom made files? I have housing maps for example and I wish the new client will be able to do that too.

B

Beer_Cayse

never used UIOAM so can't comment. BUT .... Devs really should take a close look at UOA for the more involved processes as you outline. Org Agent, Sell agent and more were my mainstay in-game.

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
never used UIOAM so can't comment. BUT .... Devs really should take a close look at UOA for the more involved processes as you outline. Org Agent, Sell agent and more were my mainstay in-game.
My favorite feature of uoa is so simple.
Critter dies. Its name pops up ,remains onscreen for about 5 seconds.
Try Miasma when the bodies are deep. hard to loot.
When the fallen critters name pops up dbl click it. You can a screen away and do that.
Youll just get the msg "I cannot reach that".
Run to area that it died , hit last object macro. Bang! loot
Im having a hard time looting in the Dojo.
Allnames does not show corpses in SA client.
Shift +Alt doesnt help much either.
We need that feature. One name pops up at time of death. Works very well in mobs too