• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stygian Abyss framerate?

H

Hwarang

Hey all. Recently returned to UO after a 4 year hiatus. I reinstalled the 2d client, and.. the framerate sucks, lol. I used to think it was because I was on dialup years ago, but now I've got DSL, and the framerate seemed the same. Was just curious about the Stygian Abyss expansion/client.. was wondering if the framerate is improved, characters move smoother, etc. I'll probably get it whether it does or doesn't, just curious though before I actually buy it. Thanks!

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know what the 2d client uses but the enhanced client supports fullscreen framerates between 20fps and 60fps (with a default of 30fps). It also supports resolutions up to 1680x1050.

You can download and try the enhanced client for free (although technically still in beta, it was released to the public alongside SA, but is separate from the expansion)

Y

Yen Sid

Just a little FYI, the SA Client only runs better if you have a good computer, if you are getting bad FPS in 2D, its probably going to be worse in the SA Client. Personlally I love the new client and can't stand when I have to use the 2D client, its is ugly and my computer is way to god for it lol, if you have a decent amount of RAM and a good video card I say go for it.

Sara1

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a pos for a computer and the enhanced looks like a water color painting. My 2d is beautiful. I'm on cable but when I was on DSL for a very short time, it was nearly as bad as dial up. I've tried the 3d, KR, and Enhanced on different computers, but I love the way 2d looks, personally. It's cute and the world looks so beautiful. But, everyone is different, thank goodness. lol Hope you enjoy the "new" UO. After 10 yrs I still love it and think they did a great job with this expansion!

T

tuatha

I don't know what the 2d client uses but the enhanced client supports fullscreen framerates between 20fps and 60fps (with a default of 30fps). It also supports resolutions up to 1680x1050.

I use the 3d "enhanced" client on my 42" monitor @ 1920 X 1080 just fine only thing really kills me are tons of lava tiles in one spot.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm ... I stand corrected (1680x1050 happens to be the max my monitor allows, so it probably only shows me what resolutions are possible on my system)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
if your computer can use 60 fps I recommend going in and defaulting it to 60fps and making a few other tweaks you can find info on this in the Enhanced beta client forum!

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if your computer can use 60 fps I recommend going in and defaulting it to 60fps and making a few other tweaks you can find info on this in the Enhanced beta client forum!
I wonder why there is a 60fps framerate cap in the first place?

My machine can handle way more then that. There really should be an "unlimited" option for FPS.

O

Old Man of UO

I wonder why there is a 60fps framerate cap in the first place?

My machine can handle way more then that. There really should be an "unlimited" option for FPS.
IF you are going to enable VSync, which smooths out the jaggies, then you need to match it to a multiple of your monitor's sync. Most LCD's today are fixed at 60 Hz (but 120 Hz and higher are coming). If the two don't match (or your monitor is a multiple of the framerate) when using VSync, it will actually slow you video refresh rate. Even if you don't use V-Sync, setting the frame rate faster than your monitor won't speed things up. So you generally don't need a higher framerate than 60 FPS for LCD monitors.

Most CRTs have selectable refresh rates higher than 60 HZ, so you need to be aware of what the setting is if you use a CRT.

Tyranissa Wrath

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since SA took effect, I've noticed several monsters in the classic client "skating" to attack when targetted, most notably titans. Dunno if this is in any way connected...

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the Enh client, When Slasher of Veil boss in the Abyss uses his fire breath attack, I get a pause usually. Sometimes I get a nasty pause, and once I got a black screen and I can read the text, but all graphics were black.
You definately need a good computer with EC. My guildie has an older computer and when I get the pause, he gets a serious lag spike for a little while during that breath fire field attack from Veil boss.