• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stunning the VP

• Thread starter Bumbledogswirls
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
B

Bumbledogswirls

I've watched the movie of Trish stunning the VP, and when i see that, All she does is press a button and let a pie fly. She does it without the bar rising. HOW DO YOU DO THAT! When i press delete, it rises half way, or all the way to the top. I'm pretty good at stunning anyhow, but still! Stunning the VP is easier for the people who can just press the button. My Dual-Proccessor Laptop computer can't even do it, while my friends old desktop CAN. Why is that?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep I have a fast delete key which is just an up and down fast. Then a slow delete, which holds the delete down for .2 seconds.

This can only work if you have a keyboard that has macroing capabilities. Check your instructions on how to make, save and assign the macros.

princess kitty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep I have a fast delete key which is just an up and down fast. Then a slow delete, which holds the delete down for .2 seconds.

This can only work if you have a keyboard that has macroing capabilities. Check your instructions on how to make, save and assign the macros.
I don't even know what a macro is. :lol:

So slow for stunning and fast for when the VP is stunned?

F

Fangs McWolf

Logitech gamepad controller. I press and hold a button and I let the pie fly.

Anyone who has gotten a toonup from me while in VP knows that my toonups are going +1 on screen but +2 in reality. I machine-gun the pies :)

Same with CJ.

As far as macros on a keyboard, if you look around, you might be able to find some software that will let you reprogram one of your function keys. Give that a try.

princess kitty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hahaha! Macros seem to complicated for me.

I must have it bad because I actually considered getting a whole new PC setup just for playing TTO.

B

Bumbledogswirls

well, I understand the Macro thing. I'll give it a try, thanks a ton for supplying it Wolfie

F

Flippers

My keyboard is not rigged and I can back stun :) It's my favorite spot.

When you aim the bar slows down and it's easy to release at the lowest.

Of course there's standing in the right place. That helps :)

F

Fangs McWolf

My keyboard is not rigged and I can back stun :) It's my favorite spot.

When you aim the bar slows down and it's easy to release at the lowest.

Of course there's standing in the right place. That helps :)
We're talking about pressing the button and it fires, without the bar going up a lot before it happens. Trish and I use things that fire the pies with an almost 0 level bar each time and it's as soon as we hit the button, not holding the button down and trying to time it just right. :)

Y

YoungUn

I don't use my keyboard for hte delete key, I set up my mouse for that. I just went to the config panel and set the middle button that I never use except to scroll to be "delete"!
For pushing him back, I just use the keyboard delete key. The normal delay there is about right for me to just repeatedly press the key to push him towards the ledge of VP doom.

H

Holocog

Its not rigged.... Its playing smart. I went to control panel and turned num-keys on. You put the pointer on the button but you press 5 on the num pad to click when your aiming pies in the vp and click regualry if your stunning him.

F

Flippers

Rigged? I resent that.
Okay it's souped up.

I dont play with any special settings or confurations to put me at an advantage or make the maneuver easier, even though I was banned for 3 days 2 years back under that false assumption for some reason by Disney. Yes, they added the time back.

I dont see where playing within the set parameters of the game is dumb. I resent THAT.

I don't understand holocog's explanation. Are you on a laptop?

I just use the big enter key on my number pad to throw with my ring finger, index and middle within easy reach of the arrow keys, and my left hand does the jumping and is always positioned over the control key. But I dont have any special rapidfire settings or anything to keep the throw below level. Somehow I manage.

B

Boots

I'm with Flippers on the way I stun. I get in that sweet spot in the back, and hold down the delete key until the bar goes up then back down to zero (or dang close). Took some practice to get the timing right, but not as much as you might think.

Incidentally, I find it easiest (in general) to back stun while the VP is on the top 2/3 of either ramp. You can stand lower, and thus simply hit and release the delete key without a lot of timing required.

I guess Flippers and I are Old School. There's no school like the Ol' School. :thumbup1:

S

Sally Bumblefoot

My Dual-Proccessor Laptop computer can't even do it, while my friends old desktop CAN. Why is that?
Just thought I'd mention Cliff that every computer is different. On my desktop, when I was trying to stun in the VP, I had the same problem. The meter would have to go all the way to the top and then back down before I could release and sometimes it would be too late!! The door would be closed before I could get a hit. My keyboard died so we needed a new one and did get a logitech keyboard. My son VPs with the desktop and he has back stunning down and doesnt even use the macro!! It just takes practice. Now on my laptop, if I hit the delete key the same thing happens (the meter has to go all the way up and back down). But if i set the cursor over the "pie" at the top of the screen and hit the built in mouse on the laptop it works just like the macro on the desktop!! If I use the regular mouse that I plugged into the laptop and try the same thing it doesnt work. The meter has to go all the way to the top and back down. Go figure!! It works out though cuz i use the regular mouse or the delete key to get a soft high hit and the built in mouse to get a strong quick low hit. It is actually a lot easier for me to VP and CJ on my laptop!

F

Flippers

I guess Flippers and I are Old School. There's no school like the Ol' School. :thumbup1:
Ahh Boots - Old Schoolers use the INS/0 key on the number pad. The captive toon used to mention it I think - not sure - but I was taught that way, and being closer to everything else and a big button, it truly is easier to throw pies with and switch to reposition your toon. Consider it by making a point to disable the numberlock before the showdown. I now do this for the VP and CJ out of habit.

Rampisms: The first ramp is steeper btw. I have to aim higher than usual, like midway to 2/3 up. For the lower ramp I just rapidfire the pies.

What I'd like to learn is how to stay in back once the VP is at the edge of the helipad. Seems some toons can go out over the edge and stand on air. Of course if this is grounds for a ban I'm just as content running into his front tread to open the door for someone to toss in the final pie.

F

Fangs McWolf

What I'd like to learn is how to stay in back once the VP is at the edge of the helipad. Seems some toons can go out over the edge and stand on air. Of course if this is grounds for a ban I'm just as content running into his front tread to open the door for someone to toss in the final pie.
It's hard to do on purpose. You just stay back there and hope the VP makes you bounce past the edge. Couldn't be grounds for a ban because it's a glitch in the game that causes it, and that's not your fault.

princess kitty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its not rigged.... Its playing smart. I went to control panel and turned num-keys on. You put the pointer on the button but you press 5 on the num pad to click when your aiming pies in the vp and click regualry if your stunning him.
This works perfectly for me. Thanks! :)

B

Bumbledogswirls

To suggest playing otherwise was the smart way. sheesh.
Seriousy dude, ticked much? They NEVER said that is was dumb to play the game with *sorry for the horrible word choice Trish* Legitimate settings. I think it's awesome that they were able to configure certain settings on their computers to help them beat the VP. *and CJ

... Wow, i just stood up for Trish!...:bdh:

Just thought I'd mention Cliff that every computer is different. On my desktop, when I was trying to stun in the VP, I had the same problem. The meter would have to go all the way to the top and then back down before I could release and sometimes it would be too late!! The door would be closed before I could get a hit. My keyboard died so we needed a new one and did get a logitech keyboard. My son VPs with the desktop and he has back stunning down and doesnt even use the macro!! It just takes practice. Now on my laptop, if I hit the delete key the same thing happens (the meter has to go all the way up and back down). But if i set the cursor over the "pie" at the top of the screen and hit the built in mouse on the laptop it works just like the macro on the desktop!! If I use the regular mouse that I plugged into the laptop and try the same thing it doesnt work. The meter has to go all the way to the top and back down. Go figure!! It works out though cuz i use the regular mouse or the delete key to get a soft high hit and the built in mouse to get a strong quick low hit. It is actually a lot easier for me to VP and CJ on my laptop!
BTW, thanks for that Susan, good input... (Seriously, thanks! :D)

P

Pinky Pepperpow

Trish is that a wireless logitech? Or can anyone tell me if they find any delays in using a wireless keyboard vs. the ps2 connection? I'm on the searchfor a good keyboard with good gaming capabilities...any suggestions would be helpful. I always had great results from Logitech wirless mice, until my last optical which has a mindof it's own. connected with a USB stick and not a laser control box, kwim?

Anywho...looking for a great new key pad!

Thanks,

Judy

F

Fangs McWolf

Trish is that a wireless logitech? Or can anyone tell me if they find any delays in using a wireless keyboard vs. the ps2 connection?
A wireless connection is going to have delays over a wired connection considering that it has to do more to get the information to the computer. Considering how technology is though, the delay shouldn't be noticeable under most circumstances.

I'm using a Logitech wireless setup (MX 5000), and for the most part I'm happy with it. It has a few quirks about it, but then I tend to be very finicky. The numpad acts as either a numpad or as a calculator. There is no way to have it function as a numpad that has the numlock off. The mouse has rechargeable batteries fixed inside of it so you can't just replace the batteries if you don't want to wait for it to recharge. If you use the included software to add extra features, then the mouse pointer will frequently have lag to it (imagine taking the mouse and doing fast circles with it on the screen, and the mouse pointer is noticeably delayed in keeping up with where it should be, even to the point of moving for a moment after you stopped moving the mouse). Disabling the software fixes that problem though so not too much of a biggy. Only other real complaint is that the bluetooth hub that comes with it isn't compatible with my Treo 650. I had to buy another BlueTooth hub in order to be able to use the BT HotSync.

Also I rather hate the new style that keyboards have taken on, where you have only 5 keys to the right of the main keyset, instead of 6. The six being home/end/insert/delete/page up/page down in a 2row/3across fashion. Now they're in a 2 across/3 down fashion (with a BIG delete key) and the insert key is moved higher. A pain in the butt is what it is, with the only benefit being when you play ToonTown, since the delete key is freakin huge.

Back to the delay issue though, I enabled the mouse-keys function within Winders, and using the big bootied + key on the numpad, I was able to tp flood someone (at least 4 tp messages), where as using the mouse itself, I could get only 1 or 2 tp messages at most. Read what someone else posted about doing that and using the mouse cursor over the pie button to throw pies. It's a very very good solution, and if it let me do that flooding while on a wireless keyboard, then I'm sure it should work just fine for other things. :)

S

Squeaker

Ummm Wolfie.. I don't know where you learned to count, but when you tp, it shows 10 times on my screen. But I think the noises far exceed just those ten.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trish is that a wireless logitech? Or can anyone tell me if they find any delays in using a wireless keyboard vs. the ps2 connection?
Nope, it's not wireless. I don't do wireless kb for the reasons wolfie stated. I do love my wireless mice, though...

F

Flippers

It's hard to do on purpose. You just stay back there and hope the VP makes you bounce past the edge. Couldn't be grounds for a ban because it's a glitch in the game that causes it, and that's not your fault.
Okay on Saturday I went to back-center when the VP moved back and got bumped by him and was suddenly inside. I just threw a pie to stun him and he ran over me and off the edge.

Is that how it works? Then Toesies can do that and save the day - what's -1 laff?

P

Pinky Pepperpow

Being the chip head that I am, I will probably buy both wireless and non just to test them out. Will probably end up keeping both or use one off my laptop.

Wolfie, thanks for the all the detail and I never can understand why the have to fix something that isn't broke like the panel keys...i like the old fashioned 6 key but I also like the idea of a big fat delete key too!

I'm a definite number keypad user and like the idea of the versitility of it being a calculator too!

I'm anal about lagging and just a tad bit of an impatient person (tad bit...NOT!) so this is my concern.

Of course, I think it's time to add another gig of ram...LOL! Need to have the turbo charged machines here! LOL!

Thanks again for all the info!

BTW Trish, the very first logitech wireless is my favorite mouse to date. I've been using it over 6 years and it's never failed me. It's the new opticals that drive me batty, the drivers are hard to replace (if you misplace the software) and rebuild ur puters constantly like I do.

:grouphug:

F

Fangs McWolf

Ummm Wolfie.. I don't know where you learned to count, but when you tp, it shows 10 times on my screen. But I think the noises far exceed just those ten.
I'm talking about when I'm in front of them and then I click the "Go to" button. Normally I can click it 2 or 3 times (getting 1 or 2 messages), but what I was doing yesterday was a little different. :)

Of course, I think it's time to add another gig of ram...LOL! Need to have the turbo charged machines here! LOL!

Thanks again for all the info!

BTW Trish, the very first logitech wireless is my favorite mouse to date. I've been using it over 6 years and it's never failed me. It's the new opticals that drive me batty, the drivers are hard to replace (if you misplace the software) and rebuild ur puters constantly like I do.
I have 2 gigs of ram in this computer that I use. Very VERY minimal paging. Used to have it off but turned it on as a backup measure. Having FireFox open (with usually 6 or more tabs), mIRC, Trillian, Windows Explorer, Internet Exploder (for TT), my machine gets busy. Still runs rather well considering all that I do on it as well as the fact that the Mb is a couple of years old for me (and the model itself is a few years older than that). Ok but back to the point, more memory, helps a lot.

It's not the optical or wireless that is causing your grief, it's the design of it all. The MX 5000, it's bluetooth and the BT hub is USB (um, duh), but I can plug it in and then when I turn the computer on, it's available for me to use, even in Windows (unless I have to resync the signals, but that's any wireless really).

L

loadexfa

I love my Logitech G15 keyboard. It's pricey but they put the delete and insert keys in the right place! (Can't stand that new design). It's also got macro buttons, a nifty little status screen (OK, I admit, mostly useless status screen), it takes a severe beating and is backlit for vampires like me. I've only done a wireless keyboard on my Mac Mini which works perfectly fine for Toontown. I'm just usually on my beastly Windows box. I also use the Logitech G7 gaming mouse which is wireless (Logitech can charge me anything for this stuff, I'm such a sucker) and it is as fast as they claim which makes it good for even twitchy FPS games. The only drawback is it's lack of buttons (only 4 including the scroll wheel which is a bit low).

I also highly recommend more ram, it helps keep things smooth. I have 4GB and have yet to go over 75% RAM usage. This is while running a video game or two, multiple web browsers (with multiple tabs open), Word, Excel and development software all at once. It is also good to take a look at your RAM usage when you have typical applications open to be sure that is an issue. Unfortunately, the genius design of Windows requires you to format/reinstall every 2-3 years to keep it fast. Well, I know that's true pre-Vista, we'll see how long Vista lasts for me. ;) (5 years and counting for my Mac, never needed to format.) If you're wondering why, my theory is registry bloat which only grows over time.

Josh

F

Fangs McWolf

Unfortunately, the genius design of Windows requires you to format/reinstall every 2-3 years to keep it fast. Well, I know that's true pre-Vista, we'll see how long Vista lasts for me. ;) (5 years and counting for my Mac, never needed to format.) If you're wondering why, my theory is registry bloat which only grows over time.
Click here

F

Flippers

Fun Pack! That joke must have been posted at least 12 years ago.

S

Sally Bumblefoot

Wow!! I had no clue. Thanks! I was kinda hoping for a Voyager movie but since that series really ended ended i guess that would be a little difficult. I was concerned at first when it said "Enterprise" because I cant stand that series. But if I cant have Kathryn or Jean Luc I will settle for Kirk!! Can't wait!!

S

Stubby

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: OMG!!!!!! Thats right!!!
OOPS.... I guess I let the cat out of the bag..:loser: HUGE star trek fan!! I knew this was coming. I do some work at the local movie theatres once in a while, so saw that trailer several weeks ago. I loved all of the series, except the Enterprise. Just couldn't wrap my head around that one. I watch Voyager for two hours every day on Spike tv. Ive seen every episode at least three times. Hmmmm...TMI!!:lol:

Ahem....that information relating to TT was very informative.:eyes: