• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stuff I feel like talking about....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DPudding

I've been chastized for playing UO like a single player game. I was raised in the years before the internet...so MMO wasn't an option for NES and SNES unless the guy was shooting ducks beside you. My first (and last) RPG wasn't until 1992, Final Fantasy 2 (4) for the Super Nintendo. I still play it sometimes. But honestly....attempting to play UO as a single player was difficult before pub 16. A lich could fry your ass...and if a healer wasn't close by....it was easy to see your bones go poof as you ran back to them on dial up. Today....a single player approach is easy. Only the very top end critters require a group. Honestly...I prefer doing stuff by myself. You avoid idiots and "cool" dudes. Was I ever short of gold or items because I played alone? Nope. Did I avoid a lot of feuding and stupid postering? Yep.

Which brings me to my biggest complaints about UO. The people. From the idiot in Luna wearing a duped robe and flaunting it.....to the idiot at an event who can't seem to stop cussing.....to the tamer who can't be bothered to leave the critter I have redlined alone. Honestly...it's why I quit.

Could I have formed relationships in UO? I guess. Could I have been a "guild guy"? Probably. Why didn't I? Well....there's this insidious thing called greed that blows all relationships (in game) completely up. It takes different forms....like the scripter....the duper.....the speeder....and invariably...all these activities are amplified when a group decides they need to run nothing but spawns and take over the game! Then....the postering starts! I killed you! You cheat! You run cams! It's pathetic....and I have no desire to be involved. So...I've never been involved. Jealousy is rampant....and accusations are thrown around like tinsel. It's not real life....but some seem to think it is.

Anyway....there's not a solution for these problems....because you can't take the more base emotions out of people. Unless you like single player games?

Anyway....my favorite moment EVER in this game was getting a vanq silver katana off a lich lord (looted from some player, no doubt) then being killed four times trying to get it out of Deceit. I think I still have that wep...not recognizable in it's new form....but I still got it.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Hmmm...
I'm guilty of some of that stuff. I have a tendency not to learn my lesson the first time too.
Sooo... I keep making friends, and mistakes. They seem to go hand in hand.
I probably wouldn't have it any other way though. I did have fun with everyone I've played with. Had a lot of laughs...
Now Im all meloncholy...
*sigh*

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Which brings me to my biggest complaints about UO. The people.
Weird. The people are what keeps me in the game. If you're referring solely to forum communities, I can see where your coming from: there's always a line of people on forums to flame you for anything, even if they agree with you. However, I've rarely seen this in game.

I think you and I must have hung around different people.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play UO for the people, I met my husband playing UO, and some of the best friends I've ever had also. I invest a lot of time in guilds and player run towns to share time with the people I enjoy being with on a regular basis. That said I avoid certain aspects of UO for the exact same reason, the people. The spammers at EM events, the Spawn hoppers in Tokuno right now that show very little courtesy, the pks/guilds that control champ spawns. These people however pay to play the same game I do and if that's what they enjoy so be it, I can enjoy UO in other areas of the game. Finding your niche is important to being part of a multi-player game I think.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The people:
Most of the people in UO take the game too serious.

Guilds are nothing but drama nowadays.

Everyone's too worried about themselves, what they have, what they get.

When they're on your side, they're buddy buddy. Tables turn over something they fail to understand, commence nerd rage. (Fake accusations w/ hacking, stealing houses, hacking, cheating...)

They're only trustable as far as you can throw em. In this case, you can't, so there is not any.

My thoughts about UO. I honestly don't care whatsoever about any player in this game, with the exception of a select few, which I'm finding is really becoming less and less each day. I've been burnt from billions of gold, and years of account work, now sadly, I'm ready to burn others. I don't care what others think about me, as they're nothing and impact me in no way. If i'm an *******, hacker, cheater, "5 year old loser" and deserve to "go die in a car fire", than so be it. But I'll always be getting a laugh at the person calling/claiming me so. I'm not afraid to throw things away, hurt others, destroy what others created in the blink of an eye. Genuine compassion, honesty and trust gets returned to others, when it exists. Basically, I'm a complete ******* now because of, well, people. I'm purely a solo player unless I'm killing other players. Select few see my 'good' side.

Oh, I'm one of those players w/ duped shrouds. Glad you hate it.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of the most important things I've learned from UO is to do your best to ignore all the trash talkers, cheaters and all around baddies.

This game, at its core, does indeed have some great people in it that you'd be hard-pressed to find in other games. It has a sense of community that most games will never have. No matter how bad things get, I may take breaks, but I will never fully leave.

Sara Of Baja

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the most important things I've learned from UO is to do your best to ignore all the trash talkers, cheaters and all around baddies.

This game, at its core, does indeed have some great people in it that you'd be hard-pressed to find in other games. It has a sense of community that most games will never have. No matter how bad things get, I may take breaks, but I will never fully leave.
Well stated, Lady Calina!

In 2000, when I was still fairly UO inexperienced, I met 2 others with about the same experience level at 'the forge' ... The 3 of us immediately hit if off, formed our own guild ... here it is 2009 ... We've explored many paths together, and play to have fun ... that's the beauty of UO ... you can find your own fun and ignore the aspects that don't hold your interest.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the greatest obstacles or challenges in this game, is being able to walk away from it without letting it turn you into an ass.

Compassion will burn you, very true. But it will also reward you. The toughest are those who do not take the path of least resistance and those who can avoid being manipulated by others.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of the greatest obstacles or challenges in this game, is being able to walk away from it without letting it turn you into an ass.

Compassion will burn you, very true. But it will also reward you. The toughest are those who do not take the path of least resistance and those who can avoid being manipulated by others.
Here, Here! I can't tell you the countless times I've suited up new members, only to have them leave once they had what they wanted... but you can't treat every person you meet like they may betray you, you have to have basic faith in people.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Likewise. As an emissary in UO's largest guild, I have dealt with many, many rude, ungrateful, and unscrupulous people. I've dealt with a lot of drama and I have cleaned up a lot of messes.

That said, there are a few players that I've worked with over the past several months who have really flourished to become fantastic PvMers, knowledgeable and well-versed. Despite the many hundreds of bad eggs that I've come across (and booted), there are a few polite and eager players that have made it all worth it.

I've also made some terrific friends. I just wish everyone could had the same experience.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am a bit of a solo player myself. I don't really talk or interact with many people in the game at all. I started my guild on Legends, had the usual guild drama and stuff. Then Bishop and I xfered here and two awesome members followed us. My guild has 8 people total, and I trust all of them with all of my in game belongings and account info. I was very fortunate to cross paths with each of them and have them join my little guild.

Outside of my guild I am pretty anti social, thus I don't recruit. That's not to say I don't have friends outside of my guild. I know people and talk to people on from pretty much every guild on this server. Regardless of guild or faction, if they are kind to me I return the favor. I do not allow myself to get mixed into the drama or cliques or any other thing. I play in trammel and in fel. In Tram I am a co-op player and in fel I kill people. Its that simple. However I do not involve myself in the pvp name calling and flexing battles. When I die I go res, and when I kill someone I walk away.

This is just a game to me, but a game where you interact with people on a more intimate level then any other game has to offer. When you find the rare people who are pure treasures, it makes the game worth it. Everything else can be ignored. Why stress about cheating, jerks, global warming or anything else you have no control over? Meet cool people, make a shop, go kill a champ, do whatever it is that makes the game fun for you and don't worry about things you have no control over.

That's just my 2 cents.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know... I think I am losing that.
People like Anne and Giggles show me that not everyone in UO is a psycho...
Maybe just a little crazy :) But there are good people in the game, sometimes you just have to look for them a bit.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Usually they're only good for so long! hah
Not really, that falls under the lines of two faced people... Their kindness and friendship is only a facade.
Or people who play the elementary school game.. "Oh... my new friend doesn't like you so I won't either anymore."
Like I already said, I have friends in all different guilds. I am friends with people who hate other people that I like. I stay out of the conflict and the middle. I am my own judge of character.
And I think there is a lot more cliques and scrutiny and opinions formed about people just because of your guild tag or your friends then there should be these days.
But again, just my 2 cents :)

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe just a little crazy :) But there are good people in the game, sometimes you just have to look for them a bit.
ty :) And yes.. I am mildly crazy, or very, depending on who the judge and jury is heheh. My loving guild members would lean towards the very crazy opinion of me :p.

D

DPudding

There are users everywhere. But they seem to be concentrated online. Scams aren't just the overt taking of money....they are the abuse of trust and deliberate misrepresentation of intent. We have some who are very good at it on Catskills. I have done my best to out these people. Some transfer elsewhere....and some pack around a cross like being a scammer and a cheat is a badge of honor.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
And I think there is a lot more cliques and scrutiny and opinions formed about people just because of your guild tag or your friends then there should be these days.
/sign

I am pretty burnt out of it all. It's all a game to some people... the friendship part I mean... not the UO part that's obviously a game. Makes me sad face.

Then there's the one to pretend to be all holy and "for the community" and "for everyone" when really they are just trying to raise themselves up. There are those who give without thinking "this is gonna make me look good" and those that give with only that intent in mind. A lot of people have trouble weeding out who is who. There's others of us who are just easily played.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
There are users everywhere. But they seem to be concentrated online. Scams aren't just the overt taking of money....they are the abuse of trust and deliberate misrepresentation on intent. We have some who are very good at it on Catskills. I have done my best to out these people. Some transfer elsewhere....and some pack around a cross like being a scammer and a cheat is a badge of honor.
Dammit Puddin you're making me like you. Ruining our whole relationship. :wall:

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
/sign

I am pretty burnt out of it all. It's all a game to some people... the friendship part I mean... not the UO part that's obviously a game. Makes me sad face.

Then there's the one to pretend to be all holy and "for the community" and "for everyone" when really they are just trying to raise themselves up. There are those who give without thinking "this is gonna make me look good" and those that give with only that intent in mind. A lot of people have trouble weeding out who is who. There's others of us who are just easily played.
I agree with Giggles, and I hear what you're saying. It's becomes very hard for me to not judge someone by their guildtag when I've been burned by so many in their guild or allied guilds. I try my best because I know not everyone is like that.

I was accused of using the Zoo Spawn as a way of making myself look good, and it really hurt me. That was a big part of why I stopped doing it and passed it off to MOP. Maybe when people see that I'm just happy to sit back so long as the Zoo is taken care of, they'll see I'm not some poser.

I agree that there are some people that try to hide under the guise of do-gooder :( It ruins it for those of us that actually are.

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know I have had my ups and downs with the game. Most of the players that I called true friends in game have moved on, and I mostly see greed out there now. Still there are a few truly good people too who just want to have fun in game. Those are the people I keep close to me and I am very thankful for them.
The face of UO has changed from when I first started. I started shortly after the launch of the game and in those days there was many PKers out there so when you found a group who just wanted to play you stuck with them. I bonded with my group because back then you did need a large group to fight the tougher monsters. Now things have changed and people can solo most everything in the game and its all about the items you own. Really it is sad to see the game like this now...

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
But hasn't UO just become a great big popularity contest? I mean we don't really know this person from that unless we actually made some sort of connection outside of the game right? It's all he said, she said, he did this, and she did that BS.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, it can be a popularity contest, but I don't think that its -all- like that. It is what people make of it, and if you want to get to know someone to see if they really are just a glory hog, then you have to get to know them, not take their achievements at face value.

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Some days it's much easier to play solo. Some days it's much easier to hide on an unknown toon and keep ICQ shut down than be hurt yet again. Yes, I said hurt because, yes, I take this game way to seriously sometimes and people's actions hurt.

Over the years, like others have said, I've been friends with many who have hated each other's guts. Over the years I've lost people who I really and truly believed were my friends. I've had things stolen from me. I've had people who have known me for years stab me in the back or say awful things about me......I don't hold any grudge against these people. I still feel the hurt but I also know, if they needed me, I'd be there, whether they choose to believe that or not. But they won't get quite that close again.

On the flip side, some of my dearest friends are from UO. People I've met in real life, had at my wedding, been to their homes, talk to on the phone almost every day. These are people who know me and I know them. We know what's going on in each other's lives and share the joys and the hurtful times. And some of them don't get along with each other IRL any more than they do in game. LOL But they are my friends and I refuse to turn my back on any of them. They all know this and accept it.

I choose to continue to enjoy UO and the people I meet in the game. I choose to continue to be true to myself and make friends, fleeting or not. I choose to believe strongly in karma and that, in the end, each person gets what is coming to them, good or bad. I choose to continue to try to see the best in people even when they make me crazy and I want to strangle them (you know who you are). ;)

If at times, the UO population drives me crazy, I hop on a character no one knows and play solo. But I truly love people. To me, the greatest thing about UO is the chance to become friends with people we might not otherwise have taken the time to get to know. Every person we meet touches our lives and helps make us who we are. But, in the end, it's who we CHOOSE to be. No one can make you other than what you are unless you allow them to.

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Im psycho in a good way. :p

I have had my ups and downs, just as everyone else does. Yet one thing keeps me staying around. My love for the game and all those who I call friends.

I have had gifts given to me from other players, and I return the favor as often as I can. Pushing those who are out to simply ruin the game for others is the first step. Striving to make the game better for those who just want to play is the second.

Simply put, we need to show respect to get respect.

D

DPudding

Persons who would benefit from this conversation are not likely to see themselves as a detriment to the shard. I've heard scripters justify their actions with "I keep prices down by making things cheap and available"....The worst among us will always have an excuse or mantra for why they do things. Makes you wonder what kinda jackass they are in real life if they're such an idiot in game!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, meeting people in an MMORPG is not much different from meeting people in real life. The same rules apply:

- Surround yourself with people you like.
- Ignore the rest.

What also helps a lot is to learn not to take anything personally. People are very different, have a very different background and education. Don't expect much from strangers and you won't be disappointed. Be tolerant and friendly, no matter how some people behave. Fortunately, UO is big enough to always give you space where you can have fun without people annoying you.

I must say, I meet more people I like than people I dislike, because I follow above rules. That's why UO is fun to me.

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's all he said, she said, he did this, and she did that BS.
Yup, for the most part.

"He said nice mustache... *cries*"
"Oh what? He said he was going to beat you up IRL and kick your cat?"
"Exactly"
"Oh no wai boy, let's kiss"

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree that there are some people that try to hide under the guise of do-gooder :( It ruins it for those of us that actually are.
For the record, I am NOT a do-gooder. I hate everyone equally and use people as a means to get rid of my stuff cause I am to lazy to drag drop click on trash cans.. Yup.. my story and I'm sticking to it.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Yup, for the most part.

"He said nice mustache... *cries*"
"Oh what? He said he was going to beat you up IRL and kick your cat?"
"Exactly"
"Oh no wai boy, let's kiss"
o_O I need a drink...

D

DPudding

Owls have feathers constructed in such a way that they fly silently! So.....one would fly right over your head and you'd miss it altogether!

Status
Not open for further replies.