• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stuck In Broken Full-Screen Mode

Tyranissa Wrath

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw the new resolution option 1024x768 in Options for the Classic Client, but saw no apparent change when I selected this. Exploring this further, I attempted to go to full-screen mode, only to find that when I restarted the client, my display became impossible to interact with - I could not enter a password, or even move the mouse pointer. Can anyone assist me in rectifying this?

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data\UserSettings.xml
fullscreen="false"

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry it was ALT+Enter to switch between full-screen and window mode.

Fogsbane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for me, on Windows 8 when this happened ('stuck in full screen') - i did this:

paperdoll
options
Display ("Eye" icon on right second from top)
uncheck "Use Full screen display"
okay
logout
quit (completely close client)
login and then the UO window edge drag bars are available

if you hit alt-enter, you're 'stuck' back to full screen again

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
Stuck on running the program happens to me a lot too. Ctrl Alt Delete, sign out. Then sign in again, start up UO again, hope for the best.
The problem seems to be changing the screen mode. It locks up sometimes. UO tries to change screen mode a bunch of times back and forth. I'm thinking the screen driver eventually hangs. The client could be improved if it didn't rapidly try to change screen mode a bunch of times.

It would be better if it stayed in the native resolution, windowed, until it was finally ready to start gameplay, and then change mode ONCE.
Too small? Repeating: Bleak: StretchBlt()

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess it's pretty certain by now that nobody at Broadsword ever tests stuff in fullscreen. They also messed the EC fullscreen up and I have little hope they will fix it ever again.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I guess it's pretty certain by now that nobody at Broadsword ever tests stuff in fullscreen. They also messed the EC fullscreen up and I have little hope they will fix it ever again.
What problems you having with EC? I have it full screen, largest resolution and not having problems.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah I ran into the same problem as the OP. I highly suggest if you like your current resolution set up don't touch it lol

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What problems you having with EC? I have it full screen, largest resolution and not having problems.
EC screen resolution issue after latest patch

In a nutshell: They force a certain aspect ratio since the latest patch, which messes up a couple of screen resolutions like the 1680x1050 which is the most my current monitor does. It's fine for screen resolutions that match the fixed aspect ratio in the client.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I messed with mine for about a half hour after my resolution went south. Logged in and out and all kinda stuff. Finally I got it back doing stuff I'd already done. So I'm not touching it for now. My problems all started when I turned off full screen for what I thought would be a second.

ChinaCat

Visitor
I'm having a different but related issue I think. I prefer the classic client but get a fatal error every time I try to play it in full screen, much less change the resolution. I can only use the enhanced client and even with that, can't get my settings to ever save no matter what I do.

Don't want to complain; really don't; but really? Is this most basic coding so freakin hard after all this time?

-CC

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm having a different but related issue I think. I prefer the classic client but get a fatal error every time I try to play it in full screen, much less change the resolution. I can only use the enhanced client and even with that, can't get my settings to ever save no matter what I do.

Don't want to complain; really don't; but really? Is this most basic coding so freakin hard after all this time?

-CC
Do you have characters named the same??? Because for some reason the EC is incapable of setting separate templates for characters with the same name... I have 2 or 3 Malag'aste's on one account but I got around the issues by naming one Malag'aste and the other Malag-aste... which forced it to make 2 different templates.

Another issue with the clients "not saving" is if your account name is "myaccountname" and you type in "myaccountname " Having the " " (space) at the end when you log in, will mess up your account and make it think it's a totally "new" account... but will make it unable to save that account information... since "myaccountname " doesn't really exist. When it goes to load your account it can't find your account information saved on your disk either because it's looking for the account name with the space in it... which doesn't exist so all your characters log in with blank newbie settings...

ChinaCat

Visitor
Do you have characters named the same??? Because for some reason the EC is incapable of setting separate templates for characters with the same name... I have 2 or 3 Malag'aste's on one account but I got around the issues by naming one Malag'aste and the other Malag-aste... which forced it to make 2 different templates.

Another issue with the clients "not saving" is if your account name is "myaccountname" and you type in "myaccountname " Having the " " (space) at the end when you log in, will mess up your account and make it think it's a totally "new" account... but will make it unable to save that account information... since "myaccountname " doesn't really exist. When it goes to load your account it can't find your account information saved on your disk either because it's looking for the account name with the space in it... which doesn't exist so all your characters log in with blank newbie settings...
Yes, I have multiple characters with same name on different shards. Will logging on to each and setting a similar UI solve this? This is a bit absurd.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, I have multiple characters with same name on different shards. Will logging on to each and setting a similar UI solve this? This is a bit absurd.
I agree it is absurd... and it works in the CC but for some reason in the EC it doesn't however if the characters are on different shards you will be fine as it assigns a new folder to each shard... so they won't be stuck in the problem ... it's when you have multiples on the same shard that you have issues.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Windows 10, installation using defaults ... to modify the Fullscreen setting:

Get out of the CC any way you can if the normal log off will not work.
On Windows 10, try this path ... it's where my UO stuff is: c:\\Games\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic
Edit UO.cfg, search for "Fullscreen" (no quotes).
Change setting to off. It should look like this: FullScreen=off
If good then save file.
Try game.