• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stratics Plus

Z

zoaron

I noticed that if/when I sign up for Stratics Plus you record the IP address. I am presently not on the computer I usually use but on a work computer is this going to present a problem if I sign up now? Should I wait to sign up on my home computer? Will I be able to sign in to Stratics Plus from any computer?

Den

Founder
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should be able to use your login from any computer, no problem. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

-Den

G

DEAR GOD DONT DO WHATEVER U said was gonna happen if the costs get to high
NOOOOOOOOOOo
Ive been here for about 2 weeks and this place is cool
*know what its like to pay for stuff*
im only 14 ow me grandma 500
and i pay 70 every3 month for uo
*damn us exchange rate*

This plae is soooooo cool
The goverment should pay for you

Use there taxes for a good cause

Den

Founder
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to point out that:

a) The admin nerfing was not supposed to be rolled out to guild forums and should have since been reversed.

b) The fact that you are receiving guild forum hosting at no cost should mean something to you - or would you prefer Delphi forums or some such crap?

c) We're working on providing full access list for admins as well as advanced management features to our guild forums.

Thanks for your support (or do we have it any more?) I would recommend patience in the future, my friend.

-Den

G

a) The admin nerfing was not supposed to be rolled out to guild forums and should have since been reversed.

I know that now and all is back to normal again.

b) The fact that you are receiving guild forum hosting at no cost should mean something to you - or would you prefer Delphi forums or some such crap?

It do mean something to me, the guildforums are great, special for guilds, who can't run their own forum.
Delphi, no thanks, hate Delphi, then I would like Perl better. My new forum is phpbb and it's not the most easy code, it don't look like Perl or C++ but I will learn.

c) We're working on providing full access list for admins as well as advanced management features to our guild forums.

That's sounds really great, think the access list was what I had hardest with being without.

As I said before, I would not mind to pay a fee for a forum.

Thanks for your support (or do we have it any more?) I would recommend patience in the future, my friend.

Yes Den, you do have my support. I just got chocked of the nerf to the guild forums. They came without warning. Now I know it was a mistake and they was not meant to be there.

Guess I deserved this slap /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Den

Founder
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, now I gotta give you a hug! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks for being cool with us as we iron out goof-ups, etc.

-Den

G

Thaks Den

*Hugs back*

Keep up the good work, UO players would be lost without Stratics /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

R

RAEL of LS

Sell Stratics to EA...
seems like the thing to do these days...
I like using stratics, but I will never pay for it. Since Uo has moved its message boards to stratics, I have no choice but to come here... I dont like being labeled a "Visitor" because I don't become a "plus" member. I have been coming to the UO boards for many years and I resent this label and just because UO dumped this mess on stratics why should I lose my status as a moderately active messager on these boards?
It was lame when UO tossed this service to you guys, not that you arent doing a good job, but that EA is too lame to keep up thier own services and "visitors" are the ones to suffer.

Just a few words of complaint from a long time user of stratics.

One other thing... Host your own website. all you need is a couple servers, which you can build or buy very cheaply and then pay 39.50 a month for the isdn line and host your own ISP service as well....
you can pick up coins in the street and pay for that... :p

RAEL of LS

Den

Founder
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While your patronage is appreciated, your post gave me a good laugh (no, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm chuckling as I type this). The thing is, we don't live in La-La Fairyland (though sometimes I wish we did)... I don't blame you for not being aware of the realities of online publishing - very few people truly are. I'll try and clear a couple points up for ya:

"Sell Stratics to EA... seems like the thing to do these days..."

I'll let you know as soon as they make an offer. But wait, oh yeah - we cover many other companies and games besides EA. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif Stratics would hardly be viable - and would no longer be Stratics - if EA were to purchase us, which they never would do anyway (they are a games publisher, not a online media conglomerate like ZD or IGN).

"One other thing... Host your own website. all you need is a couple servers, which you can build or buy very cheaply and then pay 39.50 a month for the isdn line and host your own ISP service as well...."

Lol, hahaha... I can't stop laughing. Whoo! *catches breath* Again, I'm not trying to insult you man, I'm truly being honest: I really have gained a comedic sense of pleasure from your post and am not offended in any way by your lack of knowledge. I truly think it's great that you believe that we do not have our own servers and have yet to "host our own website". We have 4 boxes and spike up to around 12Mbps. An ISDN line, lol.... Sorry had to stop typing for a sec. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif Lol, an ISDN line would not come near to meeting our needs, to say the least. Hosting alone costs us thousands and thousands of dollars per month, to give you an idea of the difference between a homepage that would fit on ISDN and a network that sees half a hundred million pageviews per month. So in order to physically host our servers - say out of my house - we would need to lease a T3, which is far beyond our budget, hope ya understand. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

I hope this clears up your confusion. Feel free to never pay a dime to Stratics - just know that our top priority right now is improving the quality of service to our members. We're not going to lag in the slightest with maintaining our free service and providing quality content to the community, but anything new that goes above and beyond what we currently provide (which, believe me, is quite a bit) will be given only to Plus members. This is simply an economic reality.

As for your Visitor status, all you have to do is post more. That's it. We don't charge to get rid of Visitor status, mon frier - that's up to you. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

-Den

R

RAEL of LS

First, Let me say that I love Stratiucs and I am eternally grateful for all the work all the people have put into this website over the years. It has proven to be the best source for info on UO anywhere and has remained on top of the issues, consistently and invariably.

But......

I don't like having to pay for a + next to my name, just so I can avoid advertising and having my "Posting" Ttile next to my name.

Ads don't bother me much as I have dsl and the time it takes to download your pages isnt too bad, because of the lag created by the ads themselves. The thing that bothers me is two fold...
1.)I have paid UO 10 bucks a month for 6 years and until this year, I had free access to the UO message boards. I still do with Stratics, but I lost my posting title in the transfer, no biggie. Titles are for people that have no personal ego and have to have a title to feel important. In-game and Out-of-game. But it did irk me that I am no longer getting these boards from UO themselves.
2.) It costs 35 bucks a month to maintain your OWN ISDN line and a few servers of your own would only cost a marginal amount. If you can't afford the web host that is carrying your website, why then don't you just host it yourselves? Certainly, One good server with say 3 gigs of mem and enough hard drives to hold all your pages would be far cheaper than having someone else host your site. So, all this whining about costs and such is really kinda false. Crocodile tears to motivate people to send you money for something they can get for free.
Furthermore, If you really are having that much trouble getting your website hosted, why not have EA or UO either help pay for the site or actually host the site for you. EA certainly has the system to do such a thing and UO/EA, while previously DUMPING the boards onto your shoulders, should bear some of the responsibility in the cost of such a thing.

I always thought that taking on the boards was a sucker move for you guys at stratics, mainly cos it cost OSI/EA alot of money to create the boards and maintain them, and irrespective of what kind of renumeration you all are getting for hosting the official board site for UO, they are still getting the better end of the deal. And, now that you are hosting the boards your traffic count has risen and thusly so has your hosting costs.

So, if you ask me... which you did.... I would have to say that you guys should pull in the cash you need from EA and let the players continue to benefit from your free access, get EA to atleast host the web site and/or create your own hosting service and get on with what is important in this world.... playing UO!

Thanks for the opportunity to share my little turds of wisdom from time to time.

RAEL of LS

C

Catskills Elvis

Dude, stop. Den is probably trying to get the pee out of his pants from laughing so hard at your post. The term "ISDN" and a site this size just makes you look like a total moron. And your trying to tell them how to do business without knowing squat about any of the deals that they may or may not have worked out is unbelievable.

It's just silly really. If you don't want to pay - don't pay. I'm considering paying because of the amount of help and entertainment I've gotten out of this site. But they've said as long as they can keep the doors open it will be free to you, so what's your pancake?

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone tell me if Stratics Plus users have faster load times for these message boards? It's annoyingly slow from both my work T3 line and my cable modem at home.

I'd pay for Stratics Plus just to make these boards load as fast as any other boards on the net!! I've never understood why these are so slow.

Thx /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Den

Founder
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Being a Stratics Plus member will remove the ads from the pages, which speeds up loading times considerably. You'd be surprised. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Also, if we are able to ramp up our Stratics Plus membership and get about 50-100 new members in the next 30 days or so, we'll be able to perform another upgrade for better performance, much sooner than expected. We've actually upgraded both our hardware and our bandwidth (thanks to our S+ members!) - but it fills up pretty quickly, as we rapidly get bombarded with increased traffic and visitors. The more S+ members we have, the more bandwidth we can afford to buy.

-Den

Den

Founder
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, the forums and the rest of the network will load slightly faster.

-Den