• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stratics IRC #siege-perilous information

• Thread starter Dor of Sonoma
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Dor of Sonoma

Putting a refresher post up tonight, as I am interested in doing some real-time event-planning with a few folks, and I don't have the patience for ICQ or emails :p

In an effort to provide another medium of conversation for players of Siege Perilous, the Siege community has an IRC channel available for use. This channel, #siege-perilous, is on the Stratics IRC Network and is dedicated to the use of players of Siege. Note: Stratics IRC is not the same critter as UO Stratics

If you don't already have an IRC client you can either use the Stratics Java IRC client which can be found at http://irc.stratics.com or any other software client, such as mIRC http://www.mirc.com or Trillian http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/trillian/index.html. Personally, I recommend the mIRC client, as it is free and extremely reliable. (You do not have to register it if you have no funds, even though it's listed as shareware) You don't have to exit any other programs to run it, it does not have ads, it's not a resource hog like ICQ, and I have never noticed it affecting any other program's performance. (I always run it while in UO)

The settings you need to connect to the Stratics server are :
server name: irc.stratics.com
port: 6668
channel: #siege-perilous

For further information on how to connect please see: http://chat.stratics.com/

These directions will walk you through step by step. You may want to print this out for further reference as you are going through the download process. With that said...here are your directions...

* Go to mirc.com
* Click on "download and try mirc 6.02" (this tutorial is dated: newer versions exist)
* Click on any download site closest to where you are
* Click "save" and let it download
* Open where you put the file, double click the icon
* Click "next" then "yes", then "install"
* Your choice, either read the info or click "Launch" then "finish"
* Read thru the introduction if you need to get familiar with mIRC
* Click the x
* There are several boxes in front of you... you want the second box. It should say (I'm assuming its the same for everyone) Random US Dal network. Even if it doesnt, doesn't matter, thats the box you're changing right now anyway.
* Click "add" then type in the description bar irc.frws.com . (The irc.frws.com server seems to be the most stable) Type it again in the IRC server box. * Click "add"
* Now fill in your name (I have my nickname there, not my real name) So if your character name is Harriet, type in Harriet, etc. Your email address is NOT visable to ANYONE so don't worry, type it in.
* Where it says Nickname type your character name, and then for alternate, if you choose, you can put something else in there or just leave blank.
* Click "ok"
* Click the 3rd box over from the left...it has a # and a + on it. (thats the list of all the rooms on that server)
* Type in #siege-perilous on top box and in description then click "add" then "join" (or simply type /join #siege-perilous in the bottom bar on the screen)
* Guess what, YOU'RE IN THE ROOM!! Welcome!!
* To register your name so no one else can use it on the stratics network, in the bottom bar where your curser is, type this: /ns register YOURNICKNAMEHERE <yourpasswordhere>
For example: /ns register Harriet soopersekritpassword

G

ohh thats what everybody needs, a lil stratics siege perilous forum in real time!

If only you could post pictures of kittens in funny situations with some stupid words as a picture over irc im sure everybody would be using it.

G

I'm there.

I've used irc for ages, though on Europa channels it sometimes turns into 'Ask Petra'. Game information, requests for crafting, requests for pets etc. Sometimes it's great to be able to say 'Has anybody got..?' or 'Does anybody know how........works?' 'where does.........spawn?' 'help, I'm dead and can't find a healer' '..... spawn is active does anyone want to come work it with me?' and get an answer.

I've been on a few champ spawns on Europa, organised through irc, with chars that would usually be fighting in rival guilds, but put that aside and work together because it's off peak and their guildies are asleep or at work.

Just think! If everyone who's reading this and thinking 'the channel's empty, I won't bother' actually logged in, it wouldn't be. Empty that is

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could never figure out how to make IRC to work. I have had a few Idea for events. I posted one on the new crafter board. A few years ago I was in guild on Atlantic called Quest Masters. They would put on event like the old Seers used to do. They would take donations of Items and gold to put on the events. and guilds would pay a fee to to have quest run for them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I could never figure out how to make IRC to work. I have had a few Idea for events. I posted one on the new crafter board. A few years ago I was in guild on Atlantic called Quest Masters. They would put on event like the old Seers used to do. They would take donations of Items and gold to put on the events. and guilds would pay a fee to to have quest run for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

IRC isn't that hard! :'(

If you use Firefox, download the ChatZilla plug-in. Much simpler to use than straight up mIRC.

Instructions are the same:
1: /server irc.stratics.com 6668
2: /join #siege-perilous

and you're good to go!

G

Does every one that wants this info have it? Soon to be unstickied.

A

Azural Kane

No harm in leaving it stickied is there?
It'll help people connect, oughta leave it up

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to look at it to to get the codes to get in

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

Does every one that wants this info have it? Soon to be unstickied.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you unsticky it?

Do you think new players who join the shard will just automatically know this info?

Incorporate it into the Siege FAQ's 1st post if you don't feel like keeping it up there kelmo... otherwise leave it sticky....

D

Dor of Sonoma

*agrees with BlacK RaiN*

Perhaps this information could be incorporated uptop, somehow? :)

I

imported_Spiritless

I kinda think the IRC info would benefit more from being an independent thread stickied up top, personally. The information kinda gets lost among the mass static info about the shard in the main FAQ. I think the IRC channel needs to be prominent for people to immediately see its existence and join in, otherwise they'll likely just not see it as they'd not expect it to be where it is. The info is tucked away in a thread with "NEW to Siege" in its title, which I suspect is missed by a lot of people who know about the shard, therefore would be unlikely to trawl through all that info, but may not be aware of the IRC.

There's a few in the channel anyway. Could always benefit from having more visitors right now, of course.