• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stratics causes Firefox to crash when AdBlockPlus is active

• Thread starter Old Man of UO
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
O

Old Man of UO

I'm having an issue with Stratics, and ONLY Stratics causing Firefox to crash, somewhat less than half the time. The infrequent crashing makes it hard to pin down, but it seems to be related to Ad Block Plus blocking one of the ill-behaved ads, at least that's the only add-on that shows active in the error messages.

I've tried to reload Stratics with ABP disabled and then re-enabled, but haven't been able to repeat it or track down which ad is causing the problem... at this point I would rather leave it enabled as a safeguard and put up with the crashes.

Any suggestions?

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have the latest version of FF with Adblock Plus active and have not had any stratics issues. I have however had a few other random sites crash and had to update Java. Very few crashes since.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never had a problem.

What version of FF / ABP are you using?

O

Old Man of UO

I have the latest version of FF with Adblock Plus active and have not had any stratics issues. I have however had a few other random sites crash and had to update Java. Very few crashes since.
I've never had a problem.

What version of FF / ABP are you using?
I am using FF version 3.5.3; ABP 1.1.1; and Java is up to date, not sure which version for Vista x64. But it is interesting that updating Java fixed Airmid's issues. What has me wondering is that I only crash on Stratics... perhaps I spend too much time here? Naaaahhh.... that can't be it.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's probably an ad specific to stratics that is causing an exception in AdBlock. I am running an older version of FF/AB but will upgrade now and see if I see the same thing. Also, exactly which version of java are you running?

O

Old Man of UO

It's probably an ad specific to stratics that is causing an exception in AdBlock....
I'm certainly not an expert, but I think this is what is happening also. My Java 0 is Java 6 Standard Edition, verions 6 Update 15 (build 1.6.0_15-b03).

Why can't they just come up with a simple version tracking number? lol

O

Old Man of UO

Does it ever crash with ABP disabled?
The answer is no, but it is so sporadic that I would not put any trust in that being the only cause at this time. I can log in 10 times in a row and no problem, then crash 3 times in a row. Mostly just annoying.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go into the Adblock preferences and uncheck your adblocking rules and any subscriptions (Just uncheck the headings, don't go through and uncheck each individual rule.)

Try running with it enabled but not blocking anything for a while to see if it crashes. After you're satisfied it's not crashing, enable subscriptions/your rules one at a time to see which is causing it to crash.