• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stratetic Suggestion: Provide a stable environment for content creation

5 Year Stability

• Yes please

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No thanks

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Vince

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
So here is the background for this suggestion, and I've already hinted at this to the powers that be:

The people that have historically (the volunteers) provided this portal with content, either in the form of guides, news, reviews - when it comes to other games. They need to have this option given back to them.

Even though Stratics might have lost community members that weren't here for UO, we'll need to rebuild and repopulate for the future. What happens when UO will have its last session running? (I'm not saying the game is dying, but I am saying that this is a game kept alive by someone "not us" - hencewhy its a remote posibility).

As someone who took it upon himself to migrate data from Drupal to Wordpress. I have been through transition after transition until the word itself changed and became defacto "loss". Loss of time spent, loss of time waiting for the system, loss of time and resources invested, loss of content and finally loss of community (here).

If we need to migrate into "future Stratics". We need to do so with the promise to open our arms to embrace other people. We need to become like the US was 200 years ago - built by immigrants. Provide the freedom and ability for people to build themselves and with others.

I propose that whatever option is chosen, that this new content system does not change for the next foreseable future. That the leadership commits to a 5 year plan that will deliver an easy to use system, which allows for the most common things that we use now. It doesn't need to be the best. It just needs to be stable and that also means to allow for only minor tweaks over this timeframe.

Give us a stable frame for 5 years, and I guarantee that you'll see Stratics become Emergent again, with new communities sprout up.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Hi, Vince -

Glad we had a chance to speak this past weekend. As we discussed, the Board's goal is to select a system that will last well beyond 5 years. That said, whatever system is chosen will also be selected with the goal in mind that if, for some reason, the system MUST be changed at some point in the future, the content will remain agnostic so that it is easily portable.

As I think we have shown with the crowdfunding campaign as well as the recent server and data center migration (which was in fact so smooth as to be nearly a "non-event"), the current board has both the strategic vision and the expertise to make the types of decisions that will ensure Stratics' survival and growth through the long-term, while remaining focused on the priorities expressed by our community.

Of course, if you have thoughts or recommendations about a specific system you feel would be ideal, we are always happy to take that feedback into consideration; as I said when we spoke, our lines are always open. :)

Vince

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Yes, It was good talking to you aswell! :)

As I explained during our conversation the only thing I had experienced during the transitions has been mentioned in the post above, and as I understood it during the conversation, I was not the only content contributor to go through the same experience and feeling of "wasted effort".

As you mentioned during the conversation you would appreciate any feedback threads for the upcoming changes, which is exactly what this is meant to be.
This is just one community members voice though, and the Board doesn't have to do anything about this of course :)
We as community members each have seperate backgrounds, but mine was never with UO. I never heard about UO before I joined Stratics, only coming to read up on news and babble posted by BadgerSmaker about SWG back in 2010.

As you could hear during our conversation I was not interested in (once again) start transitioning old content that I already transitioned 2 times before into a new website.
I did offer to start providing new content though and I will stand by that offer, as long as I don't have more changes to look forward to. That requires from the Board a promise of stability.

Last edited:

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Yes, It was good talking to you aswell! :)

As I explained during our conversation the only thing I had experienced during the transitions has been mentioned in the post above, and as I understood it during the conversation, I was not the only content contributor to go through the same experience and feeling of "wasted effort".

As you mentioned during the conversation you would appreciate any feedback threads for the upcoming changes, which is exactly what this is meant to be.
This is just one community members voice though, and the Board doesn't have to do anything about this of course :)
We as community members each have seperate backgrounds, but mine was never with UO. I never heard about UO before I joined Stratics, only coming to read up on news and babble posted by BadgerSmaker about SWG back in 2010.

As you could hear during our conversation I was not interested in (once again) start transitioning old content that I already transitioned 2 times before into a new website.
I did offer to start providing new content though and I will stand by that offer, as long as I don't have more changes to look forward to. That requires from the Board a promise of stability.
Very much understood on all points, Vince. I just wanted to be clear that while we plan to do a "3 year strategic planning session" each year, that does not mean that the "solutions or systems" we select are only intended to last for 3 years. The Strategic planning sessions are meant to determine what specific projects we will take on or intend to target in the coming 1-3 years, with emphasis on the projects for the next immediate 12 months (ie those are the projects that will have the most detail, as we realize that 3 years can be a long time in the gaming community and many things can change in the landscape and in our community make-up in that time-frame.)

Of course, it's our plan to solicit input from the community as a whole before we go into those planning sessions -- so we appreciate your feedback as a valued community member, whether you are most interested in support for UO or in other games like Eve Online. :)