• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Storytime: What is your favorite funny story from your playtime on LA?

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I've been reading of the return of people on threads here and it got me thinking back into my 'past lives.' I would love to hear some stories! SO, would anyone like to share stories of engaging events, hilarious hunts, disastrous deaths and funny friends?

I will start off, but its a short story - The first time I ever met Tycolby in person was at a particularly disastrous hunt at Valor where the Succubus beat a small group of us into a pulp. I was, as I normally was, with a group of young players and we took on way more than the group could handle! The thing was we were also a group of extremely STUBBORN players as well. The fight went on for HOURS. I spent half the time laughing so hard as we died again and again that I could hardly see. I remember thinking at the time though, that if I ever wanted anyone 'at my back', it was Tycolby! I don't think he left until that silly monster was dead and gone - far after most of the other players, had left the field of battle!

tycinbry

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I got so fed up with that spawn that i morphed myself into a woman thinking it would help. I still have nightmares of that night.

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I lost all my fame that night, and most of my gold as I recall - I do believe that was right after insurance was started. I also got over my 'fear of death' realizing that it was just as much fun to try to get back to a corpse, and fail, as it was to survive and walk away the winner! It was frustrating at times, but I learned more about UO that night than I had up to then! While yea it is the stuff of nightmares, it was a blast too :). (I don't think Steve ever got over it though, and you really made a terrible gal... I remember you trying that! Speaking as a female char though, I didn't think it was that much of a benefit! hehe ;) )

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
nice pic... :) too bad you didn't catch me in the act of bowing as part of that.

I still remember that Semidar.....

We didn't find out until later that there was a bug at the time (not long after the introduction of paragons) that allowed the Ilshenar champs to spawn as paragons, and we must have had one.

She was doing almost 200 points a hit to the male characters through 70s resists.

Speaking of champs, what about that public Serado that O*T hosted (if I remember correctly) right after the SE launch?
And, of course, some of the early days of mining when the MHC got our miners out, and went as a group deliberately trying to dig up paragon valorite elementals in Ilshenar.

D

Dark Angel XXXX

HEHE
So much fun!!
I learned how to die and die with grace laughing all the way :)
It was a given to go hunting and know not only were you going to die but you were going to die many many times....Gold we never worried about, just go hunting collect some more gold...
I don't think, well for sure I didn't think about what arty or whatever I was going to get but just the fun of hanging out with friends and no matter what, I was going to be laughing my head off :)...If we did manage to get anything of value we rolled for it so anyone that was there had a chance for the item...So even if you were dead through the whole fight you still had a chance to win lol.....
The MHC (Midnight Hunters Club) way back then were known for going to the worst places and it was like a challenge to see if we could defeat whatever crossed our path...
Will post some stories of our many many tours here later... Here is one that I think was the funnest thing that ever happened to me..
Back in the day, guilds on LA usually once a week. hosted some sort of event...This paticular event was a tag ball game held at Luna Arena....
OMG it was so much fun and I got so caught up in game when I finally got the bag ball I ran the wrong way LOL.....But no matter I was laughing so hard... I did score !!!

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Oh lol I forgot you were there Basara!!! Of course you were! She was a wily one that big lady! I'd love to think that we were beaten up by a paragon rather than the 'normal fare' ;)! We did have some fun hunts didn't we?? And those elemental hunts were the MOST FUN of all. I still have my chest won during one of those! (AND, a collection of prospector's hammers and garg picks just waiting for the right hunt!)

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ROFL Dark Angel I seem to recall I have a screen pic of you going the wrong way too! ;) I still prefer to hunt without thinking of the arties and such... just enjoying the company (when I have it)! There are tons of stuff now I haven't done yet, and I'm rarin to go!

Keira

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HEHE
So much fun!!
I learned how to die and die with grace laughing all the way :)
That is where you learned that from! ;) I missed that hunt but partaken in many MHC hunts, which I do miss.

School is close to being done (2.5 months left) to I will have more time to adventure.

KingX

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played this game on my older brothers account when i was 5 and the game was just released. This was the game that got me into gaming at set my tastes and standards for gaming and online communities for the rest of my life.

Fast forward to a couple months after the release of age of shadows.

I log into a fresh account remembering watching my brother play and playing occasionally myself. I play for maybe a week alone and die many times to zombies in haven. After one such death I can not find my body so I travel to haven bank, mad that I had no gear and not knowing how to progress a person appears.

Enter Dark Angel, she asked if I needed help and I explained that I was new. Over the next few weeks my characters gets stronger. I join the Heros of Honor at the time a small guild. Hoek and Arwen the more veteran members and (if i remember correct) Basara, Tycolby, Me and a handful of others who have quit over the years are working together to gather loot and having the times of our life hunting and dieing.

Over the next few years people joined the guild and quit. Some of the members started new offshoot guilds, MHC, LA treasure hunters guild ect. The samurai empire expansion came out and alliances were forged with even more amazing people to play with.

Over the years I took many breaks from this game like many of us have, every time I leave something else can occupy my time for a few months before i remember the amazing community that makes this game what it is, no other game has what this game has in its players.

Players slowly vanished from this game and in early 2011 I left the game and for the first time gave everything away when I left. Leaving many friends behind.

My favorite memory on Lake Austin 2003-2011 and all the deaths in-between.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
like kingx my favorite memory is from 9-2003 to 5-2010 and hopefully 2012-?

I had tried to play uo in 99/2000 the time when the invincible tag was on all npc's and since I was new to online gaming I had thought they were players and I got discouraged and quit the first month.and fast forward to 2003 and i had a better understanding of online gaming and I was recovering from heart by-pass surgery and remembred how cool the ultima storyline was and decided to try uo again but llike last time I got discouraged and almost quit untill I got a book that eryn darkthorn (gave) dropped on me and had a ton(40 pages) of usefull info that pointed me to stratics and another website and from there I found out what to do and was hooked ever since.I still have the book,it was the very first item I ever got from another player.

one of my favorite memories is training swords in shame and I saw this ghost of my soon to be friend (pittster) needing a rez so I kindly rezzed him and said thanks and after he left I died and found him and he rezzed me in return and I guess you know what happened the rest of the nihgt we traded deaths/rezzes all night laughing and cursing and havin a great time.

another time was during a fel spawn and we had just finished when raiders were coming in and we thought all guildies left through star gate,but one was still behind grabbing all the gold because she hated to leave all the gold behind,and amazingly she survived it all.

lindylou

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There were so many funny and embarassing moments having to do with the auctions but the funniest thing didn't happen to me, it happened to Deathviper. This is remembered because Twinkie and I still tease DV about it.

DV was really excited because he finally got his llama mount! He was clicking and clicking and it wouldn't let him mount it. He was cussing and barking his frustration when he was told it wasn't a mount but a llama STATUE! The memory of DV's frustration came up a lot at the auctions. :lol:

(Oh how I miss the auctions!)

Belshazzar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This wasnt on the Lake Austin shard but it was still one of those funny but hurtful memories as well,

Back way way back when there was no item insurance, no trammel no nothing, you had to work hard for even a small house - lock downs were not like now, well needless to say a buddy and me worked hard one weekend - he lumberjacked, i tailored fancy shirts all weekend, about 13 hours at a time for 2 days straight to get enough money together to place a small wooden house. So we get the required gold together, purchase a deed and we had to fight our way out of the vesper house shop cause of the hidden thiefs back then ( yes you could steal house deeds ).

We put it in bank - walk all over and found our dream spot ( okay our only spot we could find ) and couldnt mark a spot. Now since there was no uoam we did everything we could to remember where our spot was. Took us half a day to refind it again after wandering the land. We marked spot this time, recalled got our deed and placed our house. Now back then no runebooks so we had runes in our bags for spots. We go to brit ( only place we knew who could copy house keys at time ) and had keys copied by vendor so we each had one. As soon as we did that and walked to the bank we both got robbed of keys and house runes.. By the time we ran to our house it was emptied of the little loot we had and the thiefs left the rune inside with a nice note - Thanks for the loot noob...

That was probably one of the most frustrating and funniest things i can remember cause we almost went and filled the house with items before we made copies. We were so happy we didnt.

Got a million of those OLD stories!

For LA shard - i remember when 7-11 sponsored the naked malas from luna to umbra race. Everyone naked and dead so many times it was hysterical!

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
LOL Bels... you were bringing back memories of the old housing stuff. I remember being so proud of my sweet little 7x7, shared with our dear old friend Cobalt Bloom and home to about 4 other guildies, long departed now, and I just obsessed about the house key sure that I was going to lose it! Thanks for the stories guys! Please keep them coming if you feel like it! I love hearing them all. Leia... I remember DV being so embarrassed every time Llamas were mentioned! I think of them often as I have one of their old keeps. Still have stuff they made scattered around too!

Penana Car

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My funniest story was a guy named Minor. He talked a big talk and tried to walk. One time he was so infuriated by my antics, he challenged me to a duel at the bank. I fought him 2-4 faster casting against 4-6 faster casting on the Wrong roof for one million gold and he lost, he did not pay up. About two weeks later I killed Minor in the star room. He ran out of insurance gold. Every gauntlet artifact he had dropped. His hat of the magi, his ornament of the magician, his pendant, and his staff of the magi. He begged and pled for them back but I kindly reminded him of the million gold duel he did not pay up. Karma is a strange thing. Always pay your dues.

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember a person throwin the biggest temper tantrum and seearing he would never be back.

D

Dark Angel XXXX

Marco Polo !!!
I love this game, alot of dieing and no way to rez lol
Sampson, our fearless leader of this little game, set up a ghost in one of the Trammel dungeons. It was Eva and myself who set out on this little adventure hehe....Mind you, we could were not allowed to have weapons or armor. Only items that if we were lucky, to pick up along the way. Not easy to kill any monster nakkid !!..We finally found the ghost in Shame dungeon after dieing many many times in the various other dungeons....Was not a nice spot in Shame either !!!
Was so close to the mages and of course we had no armor, no weapons only the items we were able to pick up along the way....Was alot of fun and both Eva and myself, had sore throats from yelling Marco over and over lol......
Thanks Sampson for the memories hehe...
Now when we going again ???? :)

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot about that and also the role of death. Ok we gonna do these again.

D

Dark Angel XXXX

LOL
Just another way for me to stack some grey robes hehe
Bring them on !!!

D

Dark Angel XXXX

King !!! my friend :)
Miss ya lots.....Wish you would come back and die with us some more ....
Was great to see your post here...Even if you don't come back to game atleast post here now and then...
Alot of hunts we went on my friend and lots of laughs hehe...

KingX

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seeing Tycolby post here was what made me finally post. I always lurk when im not playing but almost never post on here. Its possible that I come back soon, the current game I play just is taking to much of my time right now but the boredom is starting to set in. It is a "free" game so I could very well do both, play it in the downtime between events and use UO like a chat room for the much better community :)

the only thing holding me back is that it dosnt look like anything changes since I stopped playing a year ago. There seems to be people coming back but is it still fairly dead? how often is there events and hunts and things?

I know some characters can still solo everything (I think that kind of broke the game for me) and that caused less community. It might be nice to start from scratch again.

Penana Car

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember a person throwin the biggest temper tantrum and seearing he would never be back.
I hope you were not suggesting these remarks as a response to my post. I remember already waxing your ass on this forum. I have exhibited no emotion in any way, shape or form. I am calm and cool in my ways even under the most significant personal pressure. The idea that I have exhibited temper or have been tempermental can be shrugged off and taken with a grain of salt. My emotions have never been tested at the will of an Ultima Online player.

I have only ever demonstrated myself as an intellectual and an person of class. I am trustworthy and one of the most loyal people to have on your side. I have a great deal of inner guidance and I plot every move with a desirable key outcome already in play. As a player and a veteran of over twelve years I was able to leave this game on my own terms. I have no other goals to achieve and I have been departed for over 50 months with no ambition to return to Ultima Online ever again. You will not have to worry about that just like you never had to worry in the beginning because you had no existence in-game, or I would've heard of you through somebody.

When you can say that you have a fraction of the knowledge, poise, determination and game sense that I have - you can come and talk to me. When you can say you have felt the reward or upside of playing alongside somebody as skilled, impressional and dominant as me, you can come and talk to me. When you can name somebody that you know, Delbrie, that has contributed to Lake Austin on the level that I have since day one - you can come and talk to me.

Most of the people here on these forums have not experienced true gameplay in Ultima Online or its witnessed its history. I have. I helped build Lake Austin and I also witnessed its collapse.

You don't know where to start to begin playing on my level. So how could you say you've tested me in any way, shape, or form? You're the fly on my windshield. I have you already psychologically beaten and that is why you desire what I have. A reputation of genius and poise that you will never come to know.

Pfft.. :stretcher:

Don't worry dude, I don't hold any grudges. The boogy man will not come back to haunt you.

By the way Tycolby, it's great to see you're still around. You were a great guy. Best wishes.

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
King!!! Good to hear from you. It has changed alot and lots of stuff to do. EM events occur every saturday. Lots of new peol and returning people. Come back for a while and see if you like it.

D

Dark Angel XXXX

Yes King, come back for a bit and see how we roll now lol
I am sure Sampson will set up a few kill times ummm fun times for us !!

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This may not be an L.A. shard story but it's pretty funny.

A friend of mine had a habit of attacking anything or anyone. One night he calls and says he wants to train skills at my large brick in Yew (no tram then). No problem says I, c'mon over. He comes in and as usual immediately attacked me and the fight was on. After we had gotten burnt out on pvp, I cast a deamon summon much to my surprise. As usual, being his nature, he attacked it, it hit him once and took off about 2/3's of his hps. We were on the phone talking and I won't repeat what he said but the panic in his voice and the fact that he moved so fast on foot almost had me passing out from laughter.

I never seen anyone move that fast in my life. Jep ran to the back room and shut the door, everytime he'd shut the door the deamon would open it, he'd shut it...all I heard was slam, slam, slam, slam, slam until the summon finally expired. I was laughing so hard I couldn't release the summon, I couldn't even sit up in the chair! I had about literally fell out in the floor laughing, tears rolling down my face. I wish we had of had fraps back then. ><

Penana Car

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HAHA your are funny, delusional but funny.
Delusional is somebody like you that is invisible in the game. You're an absolute non-factor in the game. Why you make your presence on a message board is unbeknownst to anybody. Start naming people you've played alongside that are on my level. This is something you cannot do. It seems to me that you are an incredibly insecure individual. Words mean nothing, actions tell all. Your vocabulary cannot even keep up to mine. Let's start there first!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Penana, it's funny that I know who Delbrie is in game, yet despite you being registered since 2010, I've never seen your post or heard of you in-game before.

Delbrie is far from invisible in the game - it's just that that his screen name here is not one of his character names. It is not your place to demand he state here who he is in-game.

This is NOT a pvp thread - smack talk will not be tolerated. Delbrie, stop troll-feeding, and that goes double for you, PC. Consider this a warning to both.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember PKing was so bad on Pac and Atl that I would look over my shoulders when I left my house irl or got in the car etc...at least if I got PKed irl, chances are they wouldn't loot my pants and shoes. I can relate to Bel trying to remember where that clearing was to place the house, that hit home...thieves hiding outside house doors, slipping in to loot you clean while you were hunting.

I was hunting one night alone, on Atl and I had made about 50 greater explosion potions I was going to put on vendor but forgot. As I was wandering around I got tracked by several pk's, they'd reveal me, I'd hide, stealth, finally I had them all in a circle around me and decided to see what would happen if I just clicked on of those greater explosion potions...you just had to be there I guess...after the initial lag had went away it was eyes balls, guts and body parts and dead horses and reds running off to Chaos shrine.

I had a friend that was a red grandmaster chef/cook whatever from cutting up his enemies and cooking them. I always thought that was pretty funny.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Count Don (the guy that brought me into UO here on LA) had an experience similar to that on either GL or LS... He had woods near his house set up with a bunch of greater explosions hidden behind trees - he'd get reds to chase him into the woods, and as he cleared them, he'd toss another one behind him... Sometimes he'd still be too close...