• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stock Avatar + Main Page Links

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Just a few suggestions,

The stock avatar that used for people who do not have one should be changed, the "?" is abit of an eye sore, especially with the default dark template. Maybe a general stratics logo would work? The new layout having the users avatar beside their posts in the forum sections really makes this apparent.

Also noticed the links on the main page goto the old forum sections and the drop down menus actually go behind some of the banner advertising and cannot be seen (happens in both google chrome and firefox 10.0.2)

Otherwise really liking the new system! Cheers.

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Added a screenshot of what I mean by "drop down menus go behind" some of the ads.

Attachments

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Great minds, sir! We've just been talking about making the default avatar a cog.

Those links on Stratics Central are about to go away. Cirno, the ME, is planning to launch a new (non-sucky) theme for Central. Stay tuned. :)

I'm hoping to track down that ad that's blocking dropdowns. If I can get the url for it, I'll ban it from Adsense. What a pain.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Page elements can have a "z" position assigned to them, which allows the designer to specify whether an element appears over another, in cases like those menus where elements overlap.
That advert likely has, through some means, an excessively high "z", to force it to the foreground, and prevent it being blocked, which isn't something I'm terribly in love with them doing.

Fortunately, as Syrus says, there is a new theme for Central that's right in the latter stages of development.
The deadline is "end of the week", and unless something goes horribly horribly wrong, I'm totally on track for meeting it.
Guess I should announce it as coming, really:oops:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Page elements can have a "z" position assigned to them, which allows the designer to specify whether an element appears over another, in cases like those menus where elements overlap.
That advert likely has, through some means, an excessively high "z", to force it to the foreground, and prevent it being blocked, which isn't something I'm terribly in love with them doing.
I feel lost. :<

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel lost. :<
Imagine each of the elements to be pieces of paper on a tabletop.
The "z" is just kind of an override for if one piece should go on top of another; for example the advert in Deaol's screenshot would have a higher "z" value than the popup menu, so the menu appears under the advert.

If we weren't replacing the theme, it should be possible to modify it so that the menu appears over the advert as it really should.
But, since we are, it's unnecessary :)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I think I found and banned the url, but it's still showing. I'm not sure why, but I'm going to complain to Adsense.

Meanwhile, I overwrote all default avatars with a cog in every theme...but the old one's still showing. As usual, I don't know why. Maybe it's related to CloudFlare's caching static elements. I've reached out to XenForo to see if I need to do anything to make it show.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meanwhile, I overwrote all default avatars with a cog in every theme...but the old one's still showing. As usual, I don't know why. Maybe it's related to CloudFlare's caching static elements. I've reached out to XenForo to see if I need to do anything to make it show.
It's showing the cog in the post list, but not threads :(
I'll do my rummaging thing.

Seemingly there's 2 files:

and

Unless it's a funky caching thing, it looks like you've replaced the _s but not the _l

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
There's another one, as well.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a sceptic; I don't believe in mediums.
(that's my story, and I'm sticking to it :p)

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor