• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Step by Step Spiral Stair Making 101

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They aren't new, you just have to pick the window set for the marble wall tiles or you will never see them as an option. At the top there is a little picture with a window, that toggles between normal and a crossed out window. If you pick the window option, it makes your walls show those for you.

It looks like Sarsmi is using some of the elven flooring tiles inside, which makes an interesting pattern in the window from the outside.

-Skylark
I've done it before where I put down snow or yellow tile behind the window so it 'lights up' from the outside. Can look nice. Also something that can be done with an 'evil' theme but with lava or whatever instead. :)

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what I just discovered on TC, you don't even need to use teleporters to delete the stairs. I've deleted stair pieces with just about every tile set there is.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How, as I am on TC now and cannot delete stair pieces without using teleporters in either the 2d or KR client. Interested to know how you are doing it.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've just been doing it the same way you do with teleporters, placing them under the stairs and deleting them. I just tried it again today, and I'm still able to do it

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From what I just discovered on TC, you don't even need to use teleporters to delete the stairs. I've deleted stair pieces with just about every tile set there is.

I've just been doing it the same way you do with teleporters, placing them under the stairs and deleting them. I just tried it again today, and I'm still able to do it
*confused* I thought you meant you were deleting them without using teleporters under the stairs. Am I missing something or did I misread?

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I mean is what you're doing with teleporters I'm doing with regular tiles, such as stone pavers and such. I've been able to do this for a few days now that I know of

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, I just deleted stairs using normal tiles - annoyingly it wasn't what I wanted to do :D

S

Simone LeFlame

Please please if anyone knows, I hava urgent question. I have built the first floor ofa house and put these spiral stairs in. Everything went fine until I tried to putta goza in fronta the top step on the second floor. How do you gettit up there? I looked n looked at the picture n doesnt seem to be a floor tile up there. But when I try the goza in place of the floor tile it simply wont raise that high. I know theres got to be a way... please help me....

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please please if anyone knows, I hava urgent question. I have built the first floor ofa house and put these spiral stairs in. Everything went fine until I tried to putta goza in fronta the top step on the second floor. How do you gettit up there? I looked n looked at the picture n doesnt seem to be a floor tile up there. But when I try the goza in place of the floor tile it simply wont raise that high. I know theres got to be a way... please help me....
Just put a floor tile down, and put the goza on top. It will cover it.

Z

zorrah

These guys are supposed to be fully functioning, right? Built a spiral staircase for the first time and no matter what I do, I cannot get past the second landing (both going upstairs and downstairs).

I'm guessing that..

a) these are not meant to be fully functioning stairs

or

b) the tileset that I used for the corners of my staircase are not spiral-staircase-friendly. :(

F

feath

These guys are supposed to be fully functioning, right? Built a spiral staircase for the first time and no matter what I do, I cannot get past the second landing (both going upstairs and downstairs).

I'm guessing that..

or

b) the tileset that I used for the corners of my staircase are not spiral-staircase-friendly. :(
yes, they are functioning stairs. post a picture of you on the stairs, where you get stuck, so we can see what the problem is.

T

Teeshy

I'm guessing that..

or

Possibly you have a floor tile above the stairs blocking movement - happens to me nearly all the time =P I think I finally figure out how to NOT have a hug gap above the stairs, just to find out I can't use them cos I put a floor tile in the wrong spot ;)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm guessing that..

or

You're probably hitting your head on the ceiling. Pretty common actually. =)
Remember you need an empty space over your head so you can walk up the stairs!

Z

zorrah

Solved the problem after I had already tried recustomizing about a dozen times. Wasn't a floor tile issue--apparently the game does not like you to have quarter walls above the staircase right above the second landing. Too bad too, it looked so cute!

Thanks for the help, all :)

A

Amathist of PoC

Skylark that pink palace design stair case is just lovely....I am not reall good with instruction by my friends a deco goddess so I am hoping she will help me.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi, i placed the teleport tiles, then the stair but i'm not able to see the teleport tiles
that i need to delete...how i can see the tiles??? help plz!

T

Teeshy

hi, i placed the teleport tiles, then the stair but i'm not able to see the teleport tiles
that i need to delete...how i can see the tiles??? help plz!
Click twice on the transparency level for the floor that you are working on =)

M

mutau

Anyway of cleaning up this thread so all we have is a sticky with just hte instructions that work? there is a lot of dup pics here. just wondering. k thx bubye!

B

blust4

I want to make my own spiral stairs. My question is, where could I find or buy the goza mats? Thanks.

T

Teeshy

If you don't have a tailor yourself, then try to find someone who is a tailor to make them for you =)

C

chera

Totally outstanding,if my friend will ever let me play the game, I'd like to see more Thank You

C

Chocolate Moose

i just want it two and and i dont understand how to do it at all i need it in lamers terms or a video im so lost and i dont know how to do it can some one please help me out

N

NewYears1978

Are there any pieces that work in place of goza mats? I dont think they fit with the steps well (wooden steps)?

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone tried doing this with the new carpet tiles instead of gozas?
I haven't but I don't currently have any spiral stairs. I'm sure with a dye tub and the plain carpet tile you could get a really close approximation to the color of the steps being used. :thumbup1:

J

Jaqui

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. I've tried several times to make these spiral staircases.Gone over and over the directions. I understand what and how, but its just not working. How does the staircase cut? Siiigh

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. I've tried several times to make these spiral staircases.Gone over and over the directions. I understand what and how, but its just not working. How does the staircase cut? Siiigh
What problem are you having? Are you able to remove any of the pieces of stairs? Is the issue you are having with the anchor step (the lowest step usually)?

J

Jaqui

I'm able to delete the telepads, but still stuck with whole staircase. I see how its sposed to go, by looking at the instructions and pics. But its not working. When i try to lay down another set of stairs, it wont let me because the first set is in the way.{Meaning the back half)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm able to delete the telepads, but still stuck with whole staircase. I see how its sposed to go, by looking at the instructions and pics. But its not working. When i try to lay down another set of stairs, it wont let me because the first set is in the way.{Meaning the back half)
So you are deleting the teleporters but it's not removing any of the stairs? Are you using the 2D client or the EC?

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are getting some of the stairs removed but still need the anchor part removed, you have to use stairs that cross each other at a 90 degree angle. So you would put a staircase on top of three teleporters and erase them, then that creates a pathway with three spaces and the anchor step. Erasing this anchor step removes everything in it's path, so now you can put a second staircase at a 90 degree angle to this one where the anchor step is in the pathway, then erase the stairs. This removes the bottom step of the second staircase.

O

Orphan

Great thread, I always look back to it when I get a chance to play with custom houses.

Anyways, I was just messin around on a new plot, thought I would show you what I came up with, took a couple of mins.

Of course you would wanna move the stairs back a tile most likely, but this was just one of those things that popped into my head, and I wondered if it was possible.

Cheers!

O

Orphan

Final result

Don't mind the mismatched gozas... They're all I could find (New server)

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
another use of virtue tiles:

i stole the idea myself, but thought id share.

;)