• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Step by Step Spiral Stair Making 101

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see the pics but I am not understanding how the teleporters work to make the stairs show like that. Care to put some text with the pics for us dummies?

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out yay!

G

Well I already went to the trouble so I'll go ahead and post mine as well.

To build against the back wall on the west side you have to allow for 2 free tiles of space. For the east side you *can* build right up to the edge of the east side of the plot, but you can't get on the stairs this way or build a wall. You can swap the direction the lowest steps are coming from so that you can get on the stairs, but there is still the wall issue.

In order to be able to get on the steps and walk past any wall you need to allow at least 2 free tiles of space from the east side.

Wah-lah.

Keep in mind that the first level of the stairs cannot be deleted by placing a teleporter underneath it, it must be deleted by removing any other stairs that have been built that fall in it's path. So you have to build the stairs to remove those parts of the stairs before you build the actual stairs that you want.

Building a spiral staircase on the north-west side:

1. Yellow = lowest tier, tier 1
brown = second lowest tier, tier 2
blue = third lowest tier, tier 3
red = highest tier, tier 4

Place three teleporters south of tier 1.

2. Place a south facing staircase on top of the yellow tile and all the teleporter pads.

3. Click twice on the transparency level for that floor to make the staircase transparent and erase the teleporters. Click the floor level you are on.

4. Place 2 teleporter pads to the west of the brown tile.

5. Place a west facing staircase so that it's first tier is south of the first tier of the stairs to be built.

6. Click twice on the transparency level and delete the 2 teleporters. Click the floor level you are on.

7. Erase the northern tier 1, this will also remove the southern tier 1.

8. Place three teleporter pads in a southern row to the east of the tier 2 stairs.

9. Place a south facing staircase so that it covers the teleporter pads except for its first tier.

10. Click twice on the transparency level and delete the 3 teleporters. Click the floor level you are on.

11. Place teleporter pads 1 north and 2 south of the blue tile, then 2 to the east of the southernmost tile.

12. Place a staircase so that all the southern tiles are covered, and the first tier of the staircase is not over a teleporter.

13. Click twice on the transparency level and delete the 3 teleporters that this new staircase is covering. Click the floor level you are on.

14. Place a staircase so that it covers the 2 remaining teleporter pads and the blue tile, leaving its first tier not over a teleporter.

15. Click twice on the transparency level and delete the 2 teleporters that this new staircase is covering. Click the floor level you are on.

16. Delete the southeasternmost tier 1 staircase in order to remove the westernmost tier 1.

17. Click twice on the transparency level and place the five teleporters in the corner to the west of the red tile and south. Click the floor level you are on.

18. Place a staircase so that it covers the three westernmost teleporter pads, except with it's tier one.

19. Click twice on the transparency level and delete the three teleporters this new set of stairs is covering. Click the floor level you are on.

20. Place a east facing set of stairs so that the two teleporter pads and the red tile are covered by stairs, and the tier 1 of this set of stairs is not covering any teleporters.

21. Click twice on the transparency level and delete the two teleporters this new set of stairs is covering. Click the floor level you are on.

22. Erase the southwesternmost tier 1 in order to get rid of the northwesternmost tier 1.

23. Place the shortest walls next to tier 1 and 2, the medium height walls in between tier 2 and 3, and the tallest walls next to tier 3 and 4.

24. It can also be made into a corner. Remember when you put the goza mat down between tier 2 and 3 it will need to be raised high enough to allow you to walk on it, which will leave a gap. Placing an additional goza mat that is one level (in the housing tool) lower than the first mat will cover this gap.

G

...and I did a house for funzies. BTW I didn't have an issue with the second level height walls being too tall and having to use multiple gozas, so maybe its just something with the thicker wall types.

K

Kratos Aurion

nice work but was it really necessary to create a new thread based on the same subject

K

Kurgan

Other one's started to get very pic intensive. So I started a new thead..

G

<blockquote><hr>

Other one's started to get very pic intensive. So I started a new thead..

[/ QUOTE ]

Not like theres a lot else to talk about with housing nowadays. I mean, the chopped up staircase thing is the new exciting deal.

G

Your designs never cease to amaze me. Do you mind if I borrow a few of your ideas? I try to be as original as possible but sometimes a creation is so good it needs to be imitated.

G

Thanks KoolAid!

Melina, I don't mind if people use stuff I've done, just as long as they don't take an entire design of mine and try to enter it in a contest without giving me credit (still miffed about that one).

G

Absolutely incredible guide you put together there ... im iff to work on my stairs now.

Excellent job

Craftsman

C

Cyrus of Sosaria

I desperately need to find a larger house spot...

Designs like this make me jealous...stuck in a cruddy 7x10, keep missing every large spot that apparently exists in my neighborhood(Yew, Trammel), so my design options are so limited it's not funny...

Been stuck with teleporters because stairs take up so much floor space.
Puttered around with balconies a few times, but without a decent house size, they really don't look quite right.
Just tried the spiral staircase in a home my size on TC, just one tile too narrow to be able to reach the bottom step.

Roofing even looks weird on my tiny little home...ah well.

Amazing work, truly breathtaking.

G

Thanks Craftsman, I have a bizarre condition where I actually enjoy making guides and FAQs, heh.

Cyrus, Atlantic is really tough. If it were just about any other shard then it would be relatively easy for you to find a bigger spot in your neighborhood. I'll run around for a bit but I dunno that I would have any better luck than you've been having. A few months back I spent a few hours in malas, Atlantic looking for a decent sized spot or any decent sized decaying houses, for someone who really wanted a bigger spot, and all I found were a couple of small decays that weren't that exciting.

K

Kratos Aurion

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks Craftsman, I have a bizarre condition where I actually enjoy making guides and FAQs, heh.

[/ QUOTE ]

i write guides sometimes too for those contests but for some odd reason i dont submit them. theyre really good and detailed and in depth on the things i have writen about
i usually include picture walkthroughs if possible.

G

Thank you, I couldn't for the life of me figure how to get my stairs to "chop up" - I wasn't trying to do a spiral, but this thread answered another question. And I personally do not mind new threads with detailed explanations included...a lot of good info is buried in this forum, and not everyone has hours to search and skim.

-Skylark

G

This same principle can be used to make a grand staircase with landing?

B

Bohemund

Awesome posts, I've always wondered how people do those. Thanks!

*begins work on spiral stairs*

T

Truecoyote

okay i dunno what the problem is here but for some reason i am totally unable to raise goza mats locked down or not is there a trick to it?

K

Kurgan

Just curious, you are using square goza mats. As the other will not raise.

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can place exterior house steps inside, or am I missing something completely obvious?

G

Your missing something completely obvious.
Go back to the top and read how to cut up the staircases again and you'll find how to make the single tile steps. Easier to read it then for me to try to explain it (no offense intended towards you, just that I prolly wouldn't explain it clear enough for me to even understand what I'm talking about...heh).

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, I really really tried, but I can't seem to figure out how to delete the one last end of the stairs in the Southeast corner.. I did it for the other ones, but forgot how, *smacks herself*. Can somebody pleaseeeeeee help me!

K

Kurgan

Delete the bottom stair, and that will get rid of your little stairs. Then go thru the steps to make the half stair again..

B

Big Taco

First off, I want to say thanks to Kurgan and Sarsmi for the wonderful directions.

Next, I want to ask, is it posible to stack spiral stairs up floors or even put one on an upper floor? I want to make an elf tree house like in LOTRs where the stairs spirals up around a big tree and I want it to go up 3 floors.

I'm going to try it but don't think it will work since u have to delete floor tiles.

K

Kurgan

I tried, but the house rules will not allow it. You would have to build the stairs so they are next to each other. But it will not allow you to build them on top of each other.
So build the bottom floor, then build the next floor up, but you would have to move those stairs to the side of the first floor stairs..

If that all makes sence...

B

Big Taco

Thanks, I did and here are pics:

This first one is of the outside of the house

This one is of the first floor

2nd floor

3rd floor

As a side note: after each time you delete teleporters, you must replace them with floor titles or the floor/stairs will be illegal and you won't be able to commit. And I still had a couple of holes behind the 2nd floor spiral that I could not see after I commited but found out later by falling through one.
I had to go back and patch them up with the see through wall view.

T

TeamScheme

I've run into a problem in that the stairs are "clearing" whatever tile is under the first (lowest) tile of stairs, so the teleporter is gone when I go to delete.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

G

That is because it is the 'anchor' point for the stairs. You have to build another set of stairs with only an anchor point initially that crosses perpendicularly over the anchor point, then you can delete that other set of stairs and it will delete the first stairs' anchor point.

Basically like this:

X = staircase you want
O = staircase you need to get rid of the anchor point from X
- = where stairs used to be but were erased

First build O:

OOOO

Get rid of the all the steps but the bottom one:

---O

Now you can build your other staircase perpendicularly to it with the anchor point in the pathway of the first set of stairs:

X--O
X
X
X

To get rid of the anchor point, erase "O":

----
X
X
X

M

misskitty34

i thought you couldnt use the small 'oudoor' stairs inside houses?

M

misskitty34

well i been trying to do it and the whole stair case deletes, it doesnt leave a little peice.

Atheryn

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HELP!!!

A few days ago, I tried making my first spiral staircase - and it worked beautifully - but it was only a test. I haven't actually designed my house yet, I just wanted to be sure of how to do it. Now however, I can't seem to get it to work - not since the latest invasion publish. Here's what keeps happening:

First, I'll place the teleporters.

Then, I'll place two sets of stairs over the teleporters - my intention is to erase the lower half of the staircases.

Next, I press the transparency button twice so I can see the teleporters to erase them...

As you can see, the teleporters at the anchor-points for the stairs have vanished, and I can see through the floor to the ground below. I cannot target those teleporters to erase them. The only thing I can do is erase the other two teleporters, which results in this:

This happens every time I try to do it, regardless of which direction the stairs are facing. It only happens when I am trying to erase the lower half of a staircase.

Am I doing something wrong? Or has the latest publish changed something? Please help!

Cheers,
Atheryn.

G

Place your east-west facing stairs first, cut them then place the north-south facing stairs. Once those are in, delete the eaast-west ones and replace them. Should work that way.

Atheryn

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahhh okay, thanks! I knew it would turn out to be something simple

Cheers,
Atheryn.

G

Many thanks Sarsmi &amp; Kurgen &amp; everyone else here too! This thread helped me create my first spiral staircase.

Once I get done decorating the house, I'll post some screenies!

R

R E D R U M456

What I dont understand is how to make stairs like this:

or like this:

G

Ok, first off the stairs are each doubled. Where you see the four goza mats, place four teleporters on the ground and place the "B" facing stairs in the "B" position on top of them. Hit transparancy twice and erase all four teleporters. Now place the "A" stairs in the "A" position and delete both sets of whats left of the "B" stairs. This will wipe the bottom part of the "A" stairs. Place the 4 teleporters again, place the "B" stairs in the "B" position (again), hit transparancy twice and delete the teleporters. Place the "C" stairs in the "C" position and then delete the "B" stairs (again). Now place the four teleporters and place the "B" stairs in the "B" position (again again) and hit transparancy twice and delete the four teleporters. Slap down four goza mats and raise them about 10 times, and you're good to go.

R

R E D R U M456

Ok awesome! Thanks! I'll post a pic later of what my house looks like with the new stairs after I build it and after the servers are back on.

T

Tulianya

Is this able to be done still? Using KR client and I can't for the life of me get this to work. I fully understand how it is supposed to, but it just doesn't seem to.

Please and thanks,
Tulianya

G

I'm not certain but I think you cannot do this in KR, only 2D.

D

DougAlmighty13

I'm having an issue with the spiral stairs, being that A) Once I'm up, I can't walk all the way down, cause I get stuck before the lowest goza, and B) For some odd reason, one of my guildies, only one, can't even walk up them, can't get past the first goza mat. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I used the method in the instructions above, and used square gozas. Also, concerning issue A, when I try to walk down, I can't fall off the way I can when I walk up.

G

This isn't really a "spiral" stair, but it is a variation of the chopped stairs theme, so tacking Desperado's wonderful step by step tutorial on here so it isn't lost.

Tutorial was inspired by Breyn Darkthorne's "Pink Palace" located outside Luna on Catskills.

-Skylark

The Pink Palace

Desperado's tutorial:

1. Place your backside walls where you want them and then place 9 teleporters 2 tiles back from the walls.

2. Place the lower set of north stairs over these teleporters, then delete the teleporters through the method in the sticky post up top.

3. Lay down three teleporters as shown in the picture.

4. Place a west facing stair over the teleporters and cut the stairs.

5. Place your upper row of north stairs.

6. Delete the west facing single stair so it will remove the lowest steps from your second row of north stairs.

7. Place two rows of teleporters between the north facing stairs.

8 &amp; 9. Place east and west facing stairs and cut as needed.

10. Finished product. Ignore the black gozas, only cloth I had on hand at the moment.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not have Sarsmi's spiral stairs tutorial but I did manage to save these step by step pics for making a particular chopped stairs arrangement which Desperado was kind enough to create for us. This stair design appeared in a house called The Pink Palace on Catskills, and is used in La Belle's lovely Neverwinter home (not sure if La Belle was the designer of the Pink Palace as I had no reference for that pic.)

The trick with building the stairs is to use teleporters and other stair sections to later "erase" portions of other stairs. By using transparency and deleting teleporters after stairs have been placed on them, and then clicking on the house level to remove transparency, the sections of stairs that were above the teleporters will be erased. You can use this technique to remove any section of the stairs except the lowest level. I do not have the text that accompanied the pics and don't have time at the moment to add them, but for now this is a start that perhaps will help someone.

-Skylark

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

Steps 8 & 9

"The Pink Palace"

-Skylark

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the spiral stairs pic, I don't remember what the directions were but I can guess!

Spiral stairs can be placed against one wall but not two - you can't put them in a corner unless you bring your walls in to make a corner that is inside the plot boundary.

1. The four colored squares are where your stairs will go. The light yellow is the bottom step and the red is the topmost step. Place three teleporters like so.

2. Place your staircase and hit the floor transparancy button twice, then delete the three teleporter tiles using the 'eraser' tool.

3. Hit the button for the first floor, or whatever floor you are working on.

4. Place two teleporter tiles. When you form this second step you must get rid of the bottom, or "anchor" step by deleting the cross step you initially made.

5. Place the stairs.

6. Hit the transparancy button twice and delete the top two steps. Hit the button for the first floor. Select the "eraser" tool and erase the northernmost, single step (the one that is on top of where the yellow tile initially was). Because it is an anchor step this will remove it and everything that is in its path.

7. You now have a second step and can reform the first step.

8. Place the teleporter tiles like you did in step 1.

9. Place the stairs like in step 2.

10. Hit the trans button twice and delete the teleporter tiles (like in step 3). Hit the button for the first floor.

11. Now place 5 teleporter pads as shown.

12. Place a staircase as shown. This will be used to remove the anchor step you will get from the staircase used to build the third step up.

13. Hit floor trans twice and delete the three teleporter pads that were under the new staircase. Hit the button for the first floor.

14. Place a staircase like so, to create the third step up.

15. Hit floor trans twice and delete the remaining teleporter pads. Hit the button for floor one.

16. Select the eraser tool and use it on the southeasternmost "anchor" step, it is next to the #15 in the 15th step. This will remove the anchor step for the third step up.

17. Place 5 teleporter tiles as shown (I have hit the floor trans button twice here to show where to place them.)

18. Place a staircase as shown. This will be your fourth step anchor remover. Hit the floor trans button twice and remove the 3 teleporter tiles under this staircase only. Hit the button for floor 1.

19. Now you have an anchor remover for the last step up, it is the single step that is westmost in this picture.

20. Place your last staircase on the other teleporter tiles like so.

21. HIt the floor trans button and erase the two last teleporter tiles. Hit the button for floor 1.

22. Erase the southwesternmost anchor point that you created in step 18. This will serve to delete the anchor step for the final step up.

23. You can place short walls like so, for your raised goza mats to sit on.

24. You can also bring in the wall on the west side to make it a corner staircase.

Here is a finished staircase that incorporate the square goza mats into its flooring.

The view from the upstairs to show one way of setting up the upstairs floor + railing.

The outside of the house (just cuz):

N

Nikodemus

Sarsmi are those windows a new addition or is it just me that have not notice them befor (not played for some weeks).

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sarsmi are those windows a new addition or is it just me that have not notice them befor (not played for some weeks).
They aren't new, you just have to pick the window set for the marble wall tiles or you will never see them as an option. At the top there is a little picture with a window, that toggles between normal and a crossed out window. If you pick the window option, it makes your walls show those for you.

It looks like Sarsmi is using some of the elven flooring tiles inside, which makes an interesting pattern in the window from the outside.

-Skylark