• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Status of UO Character Development

Don't Tread on Me

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
OK, so here's my question. If you were had a 100% new account with zero access to any outside gold or items, how long (hours of gameplay, I guess) do you think it would take you to make a 6x 120 character (just one) by yourself? And then how long do you think it would take you to make a relatively decent, modern suit for that character?

And please throw out some reasoning behind your thought process/answer. I'm very curious on the opinion of the masses.

CottonEyeJoe104

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't know if anyone could truly answer this question. Cause UO has always been a game where people help newbies. By atleast giving them an LRC suit, or a suit they can farm in w/o instantly dying. But w/o any of that... long time. LONG time. Unless they went to an item drop event, got lucky, got an event item and instantly became a multi millionaire and snowball their monies from there.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can hit 6x100 skills on a warrior pretty quick beating on a wrestling character in a guild (Trial account if need be) and crosshealing them.
It's boring, but it's easy. Would Have to farm sheep or buy the bandis though.
Can drop guild and train bushido on a rabbit, but without a mr/lmc suit will take a lot of time. Probably be easiest to just play a non bushido parry wraith swordsman.. Mana leech from wraith, life leech from Curse weapon. Radiant for whirlwind, katana for AI (Fast weapons)
Going 40 Necro/60 ss and Carrying Pig iron for curse weapon will be much quicker than training necro.
Hitting 50 Necro on the quest will also unlock a full necro spell book.

50 Imbuing/50 Tinker Start looting everything and Unraveling.

Put your guild in VvV and get some VvV Artifacts to build your suit around. Imbue the rest of the slots. Storm Grips, Mace and Shields, Primer on arms, Rune beetle carapace, boom.

Spawning will be the tricky part. Rat Spawns are the easiest as far as the spawn itself, but the boss might be a challenge to a 100 melee character. You can get vermin slayer talismans from hw quests while training tinker/fletch/carp though for the slayer. I think rikktor would actually be easier provided you were in a 70's suit, could just joust him. Also don't need relics for dragon slayer on a weapon.

ziox

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
little noob guide that can can make you a million of gold in a day. (Guide for ppl that have no friends or are unfriendly)

1) Make gargoyle with 50 taming/50 imbuing and rest in vet 50 str 20 int and start at new haven
2)Raise animal lore to 50 with weak mobs around the town.
3)When u reach 50, go tame 5 timber wolf (Pack Instinc) & buy max bandages as you can then After kill zombies, scroll binders to get around 20/30k gold to buy more bandages & 40 spirit speak skill. (Train Spirit Speak as much you can while hunting)
4)Go to Ter Mur tame High Plains Boura (600hp +-)
5)Do the Ambitious Solen Queen to get BoS and Translocation Powder.

6)Go to Tombs of kings, farm Undead Guardians (good gold loot, ingrediants & stuffs) and get build suit from loot. Keep all items that can be unravel, you will make your next suit with this.
7)When you reach 10.000 in Royalty go to the Soul Forge in Royal City, Unravel stuff to get magical residues and craft LRC on medable part.
8) Suit finished, go find a fully cheap 64 Spellsbook in vendor search. Go back to New Haven, buy skills mage eval and train it to 70 so with this u can Mark runes, Hide, heal etc...

Don't Tread on Me

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Some good ideas up there. For the record, I've played UO for long time, not looking to do this. Instead, I was contemplating the question thinking about new players trying to start this game. Obviously new players usually get boatloads of assistance from many others... but the learning curve has got to be so hard and rough that only the most dedicated would be able to power through and eventually "catch up" to the rest of the community.

I just think about training tailoring, blacksmith, mining, imbuing... then getting 120's. It's hard enough to get them already (lets say time consuming) much less learn all the ropes for spawning, AND get the drops you want. Hell, I'll wreck 10 spawns and get like 3 120s (usually like ninja, stealth, and throwing.... ugh).

Anyways, I was just wondering what people would think about this... I mean, colleges could have a full semester course just on the nuances of playing UO. It's a HUGE amount of crazy information. Maybe it's time to simplify??? LOL, yeah right.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On atlantic, you could make a ton of gold pretty quick just balancing out some of the npcs in the game. Buying low and selling high on certain items. Farming sheep for instance and turning it into bolts and selling in luna on atlantic is probably 20x more profitable than killing an ettin.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
...Obviously new players usually get boatloads of assistance from many others... but the learning curve has got to be so hard and rough that only the most dedicated would be able to power through and eventually "catch up" to the rest of the community.... Maybe it's time to simplify??? LOL, yeah right.
I've been hanging around since '98, but I quit trying to "catch up" years ago. :oops:

xX~Cobalt Bones~Xx

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
about 6 hours depending on skills (mage or warrior)

this isnt counting actually getting the 120 scroll. you would need to farm this yourself, but can do it with GM skills.

for suit - join VVV for arties, then use throwaway legendaries and have a respectable suit in a few mins of looting.

for gold, just sell buy / sell npcs or farm arrows and sell them back to npc. use this gold to buy cheap legendaries for suit, or 110 scrolls to fill out your cahracter.