• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Starting Over again

V

Vulcan03

Hello All,

I am finally returning to UO after a 5 year hiatus and was referred to this shard by a long time friend of mine Neph (Nepherina on here) Just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I am starting over from scratch...brand new account. So any advice for basically a newbie please don't hesitate. I look forward to getting to know you all since I'm sure I'll get back into forum posting often.

E

Evilminion

Welcome back! :)

I doubt you'd want my advice, since I may have the largest collection of death robes on Lake Austin... :lol: ...but once you decide what sort of character you plan to start with, I'll be happy to send some equipment your way! Can't train without a decent suit, at least not these days... it's scary out there!

V

Vulcan03

Nice to meet you Evil,

I think I'm going to try out a mage/tamer this go round. From what I hear they are still a great class to take on just about anything. I appreciate any help, even if it is from a lot of deaths...no way like learning from those "oops" moments.

E

Evilminion

Tell you what; give me about ten minutes to assemble something, and I'll meet you at the bank in New Haven with a little "Welcome back" package. :D

EDIT: Character name is Theora, by the way.

V

Vulcan03

I can do that. Char name is Vulcan.

I really appreciate it!

V

Vulcan03

Evil,

Thanks soooooo much again! I really appreciate the starter kit. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with let me know...even if it's bait..:gee:

E

Evilminion

All righty! I got him set up with an LRC training suit, some LRC/taming jewelry, a spellbook, and a dire warning about remembering to set insurance to auto-renew. :stretcher: But I don't have an extra city or dungeon runebook (practically a necessity in the game these days); can anyone else out there spare or make one?

EDIT: Heehee! You are more than welcome. And you may not want to offer your services as bait too loudly... somebody might take you up on it when they want to distract and tame a greater dragon. If you think the hiryus are the coolest thing going in the game these days, wait until you get a gander at those bad boys! :D

A

Azazel of LA

Welcome back to UO and welcome to LA , if ya need anything feel free to ask.

V

Vulcan03

Thanks Azazel for the welcome. I will be sure to ask. Even though I'm sure at the moment it will mainly be for advice mainly...although the rune book does sound nice to Evil..=D Thanks for thinking of that.

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if ur gonna be workin a tamer ur best bet is to try and get ahold of an advance char token and get the tamer template... taming is a true pain to raise

V

Vulcan03

I remember it being a bit of a pain...however...I'm going to try it the old fashion way first. We'll see how it goes.=D

Oh and Evil, I have heard about the "superdragon" from Neph. Sounds like an awesome beast.

E

Evilminion

I may be slow, but I do get there in the end! :D

Vulcan, I've just finished four runebooks for you: Cities, Dungeons, Places of Interest, and Taming Spots. Let me know when you'll be in-game next, and I'll meet you to drop these off!

(My cosmic reward? .8 in mage gains, and 1.6 in Eval. Woot!)

T

T_Amon_from_work

Don't you EVER sleep? Good grief!

Vulcan ... I'm late to this thread, but welcome! If/when you get housing I have crafters that can lend a hand on stuff for ya. I did some things for Evil.

V

Vulcan03

Wow! Thanks so much Evil, I really do appreciate it.

I should be able to get on for a few minutes whenever you are available after 9am est. Just let me know.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back and has been said if you need anything just ask.

I left UO when Tram was about 8 months old.

I returned about 4 months ago.

This is a very different UO.

If you are accustomed to AR on items then you want to get up to speed on the Percentage of resists that is used now.

If your NOT familure with GGS (Guaranteed Gain System) you will want to fully understand it as the higher your total skill is the less benefit you get from GGS and I am 100% convinced that on some skills, there is virtually no chance to gain except via GGS.

Durability of Items: You can buy repair deeds (player vendor supplied) and repair your items. You can buy Powders of Fortification and increase the durability of any item by 10 up to a max of 255. These powders can be bought and they can be quested (I think)

Tamer Mage (Mage you want to understand Lower Reagent Cost mods on things as this gives you the ability to cast spells without using any reagents).

My advice to you is to create character(s) on TC1,

you can use the set command

set str 120 etc
set Animaltaming 1200 etc

you can use the give command (type help commands)

give resources (gives you a large supply of all resources)

Use these character(s) to rediscover what UO is now. Play around with the various templates etc.

BUT MAKE Lake Austin Your Production Shard Home :)

In short I do not believe a Mage Tamer, that needs to tame things, is .... well viable unless your really really really good at lead taming and / or committing to building up your Honor points to do Honor Tamming.

In my opinion, the best base Tamer is a Tamer/Bard(Peace but some will argue Discordance)/Mage.

Using TC1 will help you to sort out what is your Cup of Tea :)

T

T_Amon_from_work

Sound words ...

BTW, PoF is Blacksmith BOD reward item.

E

Evilminion

Whoops! :) I only just got online, 'cause I'm on Pacific time and because I DO SLEEP... rolleyes: However, I'll be sitting in New Haven while I have my breakfast, so if you happen to get this message in the next little while, stop on by. And if not, no worries; just PM me whenever, and let me know I should log in!

Nephrenia

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Vulcan!! :)

you know my ICQ.. so if you see me online (been working ridiculous amounts of o/t since we chatted and haven't had time for UO), just ask and you shall receive.

Oh, and Welcome to Lake Austin! (he's a catskills convert like myself)

V

Vulcan03

Nephrenia!!!

Sorry you are working so much O/T but I'm sure we'll catch up.