• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Macefighting] Stam Damage

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, while testing out a classic Pure Warrior build (Macing/Tactics/Anat/Healing/Parry/Resist/Focus), i noticed that some Macing weps don't deal extra Stamina damage, while others do. I was using Anatomy to tell me the Stam percentage of Unbound EVs, so i could judge the Stam damage. I've done further testing, and have compiled a list of Macing Weapons that deal extra Stamina damage, the ones that do are marked with "Yes".
HUMAN/ELF
Hammer Pick - Yes
Mace - Yes
Maul - Yes
Scepter - No
War Mace - Yes
War Hammer - Yes
Tessen - Yes
Diamond Mace - Yes
War Axe - Yes
Sheperd's Crook - No
Quarter Staff - Yes
Gnarled Staff - Yes
Tetsubo - Yes
Wild Staff - Yes
Club - Yes
Black Staff - Yes
Nunchaku - Yes
GARGOYLE
Disc Mace - Yes
Gargish Maul - No
Gargish War Hammer - No
Gargish Tessen - No
Serpentstone Staff - Yes
Gargish Gnarled Staff - No
Glass Staff - Yes

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
However, the ability to ravage an opponent's Stamina is no longer unique to Macing. Any other Wep skill can do it with a "Hit Fatigue" weapon, which lessens one of the last unique bonuses that Macing had compared to the other weapon types. Macing's Extra Armor Damage is extremely negligible nowadays, since NPCs don't wear armor worth breaking, and most PvPers use armor with 255 Dur.
Swords still has a vast array of good weapons and Artifacts to choose from. Fencing does as well to a lesser extent. The last time Macing got a good Artifact, was the Berserker's Maul when AoS first came out. Plus, Macing still isn't capable of performing Infectious Strike without relying on a UBWS wep. There's a reason why Macing PS sell for the least amount.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I am thinking of moving my weaponskill from swords to maces. On the high end, I think that the maul is the best possible weapon for me.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah mace has always been the red headed step child .. but i love it anyways

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah mace has always been the red headed step child .. but i love it anyways
Yep. Prior to AoS, all the Wep Skills for Warriors had their own unique flavor.
Swordsman were known for their versatility and balance, from the fast DPable Katana, to the hard whack of the Halberd. Most Swords Weps tended to be Average Speed, Average Damage. A Swordsman could reach near Macer like damage with GM LJ and an axe.
Fencers were known for their quick, rapid strikes and their fondness of poisons, with the Kryss and Long Spear being their main staples. Most Fencing Weps tended to be Fast Speed, Low Damage.

Macers were known for their sheer burst damage. The Macer used either a Q-Staff for speed, or a War Hammer for raw damage. Most Macing weps tended to be Low Speed, High Damage. While the Macer had no weps that could be poisoned, he did deliver extreme armor and stamina damage.
Against Mages, the Macer would prefer the fast Q-Staff, to quickly interrupt spells and turn the low DEX Mage into a sitting duck by ravaging his Stamina. Against other Warriors, the Macer would prefer the War Hammer, which would annihilate the opponent's armor and Stamina, making the opponent take more and more damage over the course of the fight, and to make an otherwise quick opponent into a slow one. This was particularly devastating when using a "drive by" or "joust" tactic, allowing the Macer to ready his next swing while keeping his quicker opponent from being able to strike him during then.
Macers being already slow, were mostly unconcerned with speed, and would wear full Plate Suits, making them into juggernauts while the other Warriors wore Heavy Archer Suits to balance out their AR/DEX Penalty. This made Macers even more of a nightmare for other Warriors to fight. A Swordsman or Fencers best weapon against a heavily armored jousting Macer, was DPed weps, for the poison would ignore both his AR and Resist skill.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haha yeah love the post.

I have always been a macer ... i remember using those tactics on one of my first chars.. loved when the armor went "POOF"

of course now Noone wants to loose a piece of armor and i can see why...

maybe a compromise.. have a secondary dur on armor that is effected only by mace... once it reaches zero the armor don't break but its effects are as if its not there.

this New dur is always x/255.. don't go down with repair.. just needs to be repaired via npc or something in exchange for gold.

just thinking out loud... but kinda neat idea.