• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[SPOILER] Medusa encounter - We came, we saw, we got turned to stone

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Me and a mate decided to have a look round the Medusa area and see if we could find the keys to enter.

We'd read in this thread, that snake charming is useful for collecting the keys to Medusa, so my mate made some snake charming flutes and we headed to the gate room and used the Medusa gate and headed north where we found some snake nests.

The area had lots of spawn, consisting of giant serpants, silver serpants, snakes, lava snakes, coral snakes and hydras.

We used the snake charming flutes and clicked the small snakes, then on a snake nest, and we got one of the following results on each try:
  • The snake wouldn't do what we wanted
  • The snake searched the nest for rare eggs but found nothing
  • The snake broke the nest while searching - NOTE: I'm not sure if it happened everytime, but some of the times the nest was broken, 5+ small snakes spawned and the nest disappeared.
  • The snake found a rare egg - the nest disappeared and an egg dropped to the floor where the nest had been. Each egg had a 43k+ timer.

When we had four eggs we headed back to the gate and then headed east over the bridge where we found four altars, which when double clicked asked what you wanted to sacrifice.

We sacrificed one Egg to each altar and a gate appeared in the centre of the four altars and we went through it, teleported into Medusa's lair.

Medusa hadn't spawned when we entered, so we had a quick look round.

There was an exit gate a few steps west of where we were teleported to and about a screen to the east there was a mosaic of Medusa's head in the floor - this is where she spawned a few seconds after entering.

When Medusa did spawn, some statues also appeared around the room of different monsters - dragons, undead gargoyles, ogre lord, wailing banshee, ophidian warriors and justicar.

Medusa hit using a bow, I didn't notice any magery, mysticism or spellweaving spells. When you were hit it did 40+ damage and also had a chance of doing one of the following:
  • High level poison, not sure what level though.
  • Mortal strike
  • Turn you to stone - you would be paralysed, but unlike the paralyze spell, being hit again would not allow you to move, it seemed to be a set time like the Crimson dragons 'terror attack'. Sometimes when you had been turned to stone, Medusa would make a statue of you, creating an Evil Twin of your character, which would try to kill you.

I noticed once when Medusa turned me to stone, I was poisoned and I got the message 'You have been poisoned by Medusa's snake-like hair!'.

Any summons we tried were petrified, and statues of them were made.

Every now and again, the following message would appear

And one of the statues that spawned with Medusa would come to life and attack you if you got close. The dragons, ogre lord, wailing banshee, ophidian warriors and justicar were the same as what you normally find in Brittania and were easily killed.

The undead gargoyles used mysticism and necro spells, casting revs .. I'm not sure, but I think Medusa also cast some revs, but I didn't see her use any other spells. On two of the Undead gargoyles we found an Undead Gargoyle Medallion and an Undamaged Undead Gargoyle Horns.

We did think of using provo, but we both had no musical instruments with us .. we tried to use one of the snake charming flutes, but they would not work :(

Below is a list of spells I cast on Medusa, and the damage they did. In case of magery spells I had 120 magery, 110 eval and GM inscription; for mysticism spells I first tried without imbuing and again with 120 as I've read it affects some mysticism spells, but I saw no difference in damage. For necro spells I had 105 necro and 95 spirit speak.

Flamestrike 40+
Energy bolt 27
Wither 27
Hail storm 47
Bombard 33 - 37
Nether cyclone 33 - got turned to stone every time I cast this
Nether bolt 10

I lored her when she spawned, these are her stats/resists/skills.

Like the Stygian Dragon, we never really did much damage to Medusa, this was more about finding the keys and seeing what she was like, and it was really good, I liked this peerless alot and look forward to trying it on Europa.

Hope you liked our little adventure and find the info useful :)

C

cheerful

This turned out to be alot of fun, and yeah can't wait for the real thing.

I'd like to know how the gate works though, there are no master keys like the conventional peerless so does that mean the whole shard could go through or is it capped, and if it is capped how do you stop nearby stealthers gaining entry.

The same with the eggs as they just lay on the ground for the quickest to pick up.

Worth my expansion mmoney :)

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to know how the gate works though, there are no master keys like the conventional peerless so does that mean the whole shard could go through or is it capped, and if it is capped how do you stop nearby stealthers gaining entry.
No the gate is temporary. Access will only be granted to the person who gathered the keys (eggs) and their party members.

The same with the eggs as they just lay on the ground for the quickest to pick up.
When the snake digs out an egg, the snake charmer or his party members have a short grace period during which only they can pick up the egg (about 20 seconds) after which the egg becomes fair game. So you don't have to beat a stealther to it, but don't tally too long either :)

Worth my expansion mmoney :)
Glad you enjoyed it! :D

R

Radix

very useful info, very detailed, thanks, you went there with only a friend, do you killed her? Looks like quite a problem the para/petri+mortal+poison :p
Like Stigian Dragon and a lot of SA mobs, she does 28x damage to pets?? can you beat her with a tamer with gd?
thks

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll save you some search time:

She does pitiful damage to pets. A spellweaver-tamer can keep a greater dragon completely healed just using gift of renewal (we alternate between 3 weavers).

She switches targets a lot and deadly poisons a lot, so be ready with your arch-cures.

When you or your pet gets turned to stone, it will benifit you a LOT to kill the statue before it turns into an evil twin. The statues die easily, but the evil twins are exactly like you, which makes them harder to kill.

She is a repond type creature, so bring repond slayers.

Of the new peerless, she is far-and-away the easiest to kill, and a small team of nearly any template type can do respectably well so long as you remember to cross heal and kill the statues first. I've even heard tales of people soloing Medusa with little-to-no trouble.

R

Radix

mmm, sounds like a good hunt for my sampire with a soulseeker :pancakes:

stay tuned!

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
very useful info, very detailed, thanks, you went there with only a friend, do you killed her? Looks like quite a problem the para/petri+mortal+poison :p
Like Stigian Dragon and a lot of SA mobs, she does 28x damage to pets?? can you beat her with a tamer with gd?
thks

Yeh, just me and Cheerful did it during open beta, but we only wanted to try get the keys and see what she was like, didn't go in thinking we'd kill her.

Since killed her with 4 mages, casting EVs and direct spells with repond slayer.

C

Chyna of Sonoma

I soloed her last night with my bard tamer. took a couple hours. kept her discorded and let my gd wear her down. next time ill leave a few reg/bandy bags around in case i get looted or she hangs out on my corpse. i prolly died 15x. once she is below half it's a piece of cake. got 6k and good garg armor. almost more than i could carry.

R

Rudolph57

I wonder, if you died 15 times while you were soloing Medusa en hence had no player arround to resurrect you, how did you 15 times resurrect ?

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wonder, if you died 15 times while you were soloing Medusa en hence had no player arround to resurrect you, how did you 15 times resurrect ?
Probably from the Ankh that rez's you....