• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Price Check] Splintering Weapons

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear experts,

every now and then people ask me if I got nice splintering weapons for sale. And every now and then I ask myself: What is a nice splintering weapon?

I understood that (1.) they are nice for PVP, (2.) the splintering effect should be as high as possible, (3.) there should be no negative properties...

But what I ask myself: Which properties are nice to have? And is it good to have Splinterings with high SW-effect a large number of additional properties or a small number (so that you can imbue the properties you like)?

I know, there are no simple straightforward answers to these questions, but maybe we can find some hints: What makes a splintering weapon nice? What weapon type preferred?

We had other threads like this about jewelry and so on - they turned out to be very helpful. So, thanks for every contribution...

I will start this thread with an example. Looted this piece here in Cove:

My naive mind tells me: High Splintering-Effect, no negative mods, 50 DI and Mage Weapon. As far as I know, a Kryss like this was worth something in earlier days. Furthermore, you should be able to imbue it in order to add additional properties as you wish...

So, Top or Flop?

Thanks and feel free to add your own examples!

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think first thing is people don't want to have to imbue a splintering item since that greatly reduces its life. I think an ideal weapon would have 20+ splintering & hit spell at minimum. Some other factors I'm not so sure about are 1 vs. 2 handed, swing speed, HLD, those items can add or detract from the value from what I've seen.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Txs Eaerendil for starting this - i hope some PvP and Item Experts join us to discuss about splinters the same way it happend yet with jewels so we can provide them constantly with
items we grind for them ;)

I post an example here too i allready have had an answer from Soul on it including his answer:

warfork06012013.JPG

Soulweaver: "Yeah its still an okay 20% Splintering and because its a fork people will buy it for disarms. its not 250m+ or anything but its a decent luna vendor item"
Pricecheck estimated value Soulweaver: "Maybe 50-100 i could be off though"

Very interresting the fact i didnt think about yet, "people will buy it for disamrs since its a fork" so something new learned...

In my opinion, what we should always look for, on a minimum side:
The obligatory no curse, no not repairable and no brittle, Minus luck will be a valuecrasher but might still no matter for some people.
Minimum 15% splinter PLUS Hit Spell IF the Hit Spell Effect is around Minimum 30%
One Handed (Potion uses)
Enhance Potions and SSI and any Leach are important mods what i learnd

The almost perfect Weps with high value i have seen yet offered or sold here
20 or 30% Splinter 50% Spell Effect One Handed

But as i wrote, i hope the experts out there jump into this discussion and we can start to make a list, would be very cool..

greets

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far we have:
20+ splintering (maybe 15 if other mods are good)
30+ spell (which ones preferred?)
1 handed (2 handed don't loot?)
Good specials (disarm, AI?, ???...
Other mods: Blood drinker?, ???

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I think 2 handed only if they are totaly crazy modded, like 30% Splinter, 50% Hit Lightning or Fireball, 50% or more DI, 30% SSI or more..
The disadvantage of a two hander is you cant drink potions on the run because you need a hand free to do so...i think you can only do that with one handers...
I am also curious about Blood Drinker or Battle Lust if they have great effects at PvP..
hat we DONT want to see is area effects i learnd...
And its also good to know, what Leech is prefered, my guess would be STAMINA Leech but i can be wrong..imo every leech on a wep is great especially life and stamina (since stamina has to do with your swing speed i think..)
Wel, lots to learn! ;)

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, rather something like this (even if the properties are not THAT high)?

Thanks, this thread is great!

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
i had no luck and nobody interrested in 10 splinters...maybe with 50 plus hit spell...i am afraid even totaly clean there is not much demand for this kind...

Mr. Plod

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Any value on this?:
Vicious assassin spike of sorcery
SW 15
HMA 70
HEA 40
HML 50
Int 4
Luck -100
HCI 15
Lesser artifact

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Mr. Plod i would say for sure since its a 2s wep one handed and holly cow 70% Hit Magic Arrow on a speed wep...omg...hehe..
I guess you should start an auction on a seperate with a pic on that...pretty sure this sells very high - congrats on that find wow..

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, please continue showing your examples. Nice to learn about this issue!

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However, the Kryss I posted above could get a Hit-Spell-Property imbued... Not nice then?

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
yes but it will be not pof-able anymore than or? Would still last some time...but i had no luck yet selling 10% splinters even they can be imbued...hard to say

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way the splintering effect removes durability if you do imbue a weapon don't expect a ton of gold for it since like I mentioned above it's lifespan is greatly reduced. Most 10 splinters sell for <1million so wasting imbuing ingreds doesnt make much financial sense. just IMHO

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
See, thats a Katana i just looted on Atlantic - and nobody realy cares, because its only 10% splinter and gt low DPS...i think its nice to have for my Swordsman for fun PvP ;)

katana.JPG

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you guys hunting in shame or covetous for this stuff?

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I actually do Wrong i like it because there are no spellthrowers and the critters are pretty easy for my drag...but they drop alot of items on each kill

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm 100% shame, tried cove and the mix of undead and humaniod is annoying, wrong doesnt spawn quick enough and cant really support more than 2 people in there on the first level.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
most peole use splintering with disarm and poison. those 2 weapon specials greatly increase value.
hit spell is great, other combat stats are good. (mana leech, stam, leech, pvm stats are nice but really not useful)
2.5 is really max weapon speed that is desireable with no ssi on it.
hit area effect is bad as you attack everything / players around you.
stam increase is nice, but thats really only stat that would add any value.
damage increase is not really valued for most, because this is a bleed / poison / disarm weapon usually. not for punches.
one handed is a must for most.

Now if you are not concerned about specials other "non-pvp special" oriented weapons can be useful. this is for basically if you are using only focus attack to proc your splintering, then switching to you main weapon. so weapon special is a non issue if you are just using your ninjitsu to proc the weapon mod.

Youve also got to consider that the brightblade arty is out there and pretty common and inexpensive (1-4mil range) its pretty amazing for a non pvp centric character (a carry one on my sampire and get kills with it sometimes if i get raided doing spawns) Also good for a starter pvp character. so basically a normal 20 splintering katana would have nothing over a brightblade.

Of course this is very brief, but is the basics on splintering pvp weapons.

Last edited:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Txs alot Smoot for all this info - would be nice to get more opinions in here too but we have alot of info listed here yet - cool!

Multi Dwagon

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The worth of a splintering weapon depends on

the weapon itself (special moves)
% of splintering
% hit spell (anything is good here, tho depending on wep fireball/lightning is best)

other mods like
% hit lower defense
% hit defense chance
% hit lower attack
% hit chance

are a bonus.

Like smooth said, most splintering weps are used on a ninja/dp template or a disarm/archer template. Simply due to the "walking" into a deathstrike after splintering or staying on screen after a disarm, followed by chain AIs.

An example:

butcher knife
20 splintering
50 hit fireball

perfect weapon...simply due to its disarm/dp and high splintering and useful fireball. Disarm, DP, DS - all on one weapon - deadly to an enemy if you´re lucky. The fireball prevents an arch cure of an enemy mage. Same would do a magic arrow. In most cases you´ll have the missing mods like HLD on your glasses or other weps. You might not even need that mod as you´ll start your attack after a first-hit-disarm.

Another example:

kryss
10 splintering
50 fireball
+30 hld
+10 dci
+30 di

Very useful weapon. Not high % splintering but it has other mods, similar to an imbued item. So it basically has all the mods you´d want on a kryss anyway PLUS a splintering - even tho it s low.

As a note...Most splintering weapons are used as a starter weapon to open the way for the actual damage output. Thus basically any nice disarm splintering weapon is useful. Ive got a garg mace with disarm/ai, 15 hci, 50 light, 25 splint...Perfect to disarm and chain ai:)

If you got any questions - feel free to ask!

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I actually do Wrong i like it because there are no spellthrowers and the critters are pretty easy for my drag...but they drop alot of items on each kill
i honestly forgot wrong was even revamped, i'll have to check it out. what is in there, slayer wise?

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lizard and humanoid... bring unlock scrolls with you if you're not a mage after a while the entire spawn gets stuck behind bars.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Thank you Multi Dwagon for giving us this great description on Splinters that show a value for the users, this is wonderfull!

Boba

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread is a great example as to why PvP is absolutely critical for UO's overall health and longevity.
If there are no PvP'rs buying up these high end items, then what's the point of it all?

But on topic:

UO PvP 2013 is almost completely item-based -- there is no disputing this. Every single inkling of an advantage IS worth it. The difference between 15% and 20% splintering weap can and does make all the difference. The same can be said for 20% vs 25%. Affordability vs feasibility do play a large role, however, so keep this in mind. 20% is considered top end by your average pvp'r as the average pvp'r cannot afford a legendary 25% weapon (plus the fact that they are extremely rare).

There are many other criteria to consider when evaluating the potential for a PvP item. Here are just a few:

1. Craftable Mods vs Spawn only
- Should be obvious by now, but a 5ssi Bracelet will fetch infinitely more than a 5ssi Ring. The reason? SSI rings can be crafted, therefor are much more common. However, there are mods that are highly desirable for a dex based pvp'r that can only be obtained through the new dungeon loot. A good example is swing speed on bracelets, stamina increase on all jewelery, and splintering weapon for weapons.

2. Number of Mods
- The lower the number of mods, the larger the player-base the item will appeal to. This is obvious as a greater degree of customization should allow for more players to be able to actually benefit from every mod on said item. On the other end of the spectrum, the more mods an item has means it will appeal to a smaller and smaller group of players.

There are exceptions to the 'number of mods rule' however, such as mods that most users will end up adding or using anyway. Some examples include hit spell, hit/defense chance, and swing speed for weaps; hit/defense chance, damage increase, etc. for dexer jewels. These mods, especially if maxed out or above the cap, can influence the price. An item that doesn't need to be imbued means it will last forever, which is invaluable to some players.

3. Weapon type and special move types
- Let's be honest, any advantages you would get from using a two handed weapon(range weapons excluded) is severely overshadowed by the loss of benefits of using one-handed weapons including swing speed and potions. With that said, one handed weapons will always fetch a far higher premium over two handed weaps. I feel this is a huge flaw within the game that has existed since the days of the lumberjack and will probably never be changed.

The weapons special moves is by far the largest factor when choosing a weapon for pvp. Some players even carry an arsenal of weapons to suit their needs in different pvp situations. The effectiveness of certain specials over others is completely subjective and dependent on the meta, but here are a couple that have been popular and powerful since pretty much the inception of Age of Shadows:

- Disarm
- Armor Ignore
- Bleed Attack

and to a lesser extent:
- infecting
- mortal
- paralyze

One of the few one-handed weapons that has a solid base speed/damage that contains a combination of the first three special moves is the war fork. This should explain why you see war forks fetching the most amount of gold. Any other weapon is simply sub-par unless your character has poisoning, in which case Kryss', butcher knives, and cleavers are also great alternatives.

Last edited:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for this Boba!

I only want to add to the other readers and posters, please dont make this a discussion now about PvP yes or no, you know what i mean, thank you ;)

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it has to be noted, a splintering weapon does not Have to be one with a pvp special move to be very useful in pvp. i touched on it but dont think i was clear as to why. you use focus attack, which doubles the chance for mods to proc at 120 ninjitsu.