• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Splintering needs nerfed

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Splintering needs to be nerfed on all specials. It was meant for melee characters to get back involved in pvp but is only abused by the worst mages in the game instead. Pvp is incredibly stupid right now due to this. Fix it before there is no pvp at all anymore.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they would put something in game to remove it OFF weapons.
So often I find a nice weapon then notice it has splintering on it, as I PVM this weapon is now just imbuing regs.
Once again PvP ruins another drop system. :p

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I asked devs not to do the tactic changes. I knew there would be splintering with specials like poisoning but of coarse they did it so gl. I don't care about pvp anymore, like many others.

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Splintering really is not a problem... Little bro tip here, Do not stand next to someone who's swinging a wep. You can avoid being hit by a splinter so EASILY.

It's like saying Nerf Para fields, they stop my movement.

Nerf walls, they block my casting.

Adapt... To the current circumstances, if you think it's overpowered use it. Simple

I'd honestly say compared to other points of UO, this is one of the most balanced times.

Last edited:

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Splintering really is not a problem... Little bro tip here, Do not stand next to someone who's swinging a wep. You can avoid being hit by a splinter so EASILY.

Adapt... To the current circumstances, if you think it's overpowered use it. Simple

I'd honestly say compared to over points of UO, this is one of the most balanced times.
LOLOL that's a completely stupid response to this issue.

Here's a tip for you, if 95%+ mages are using this over any other skill setup, something is wrong with it!! Kinda like before the dbl conflag bug fix where every pure mage had alchemy over any other skill in the game. Its overpowered!!

They should make splintering weapons never be able to spawn with SC. But at the very least remove all specials from it kinda like they did to the bonebreaker which was OP.

Parthis

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
LOLOL that's a completely stupid response to this issue.

Here's a tip for you, if 95%+ mages are using this over any other skill setup, something is wrong with it!! Kinda like before the dbl conflag bug fix where every pure mage had alchemy over any other skill in the game. Its overpowered!!

They should make splintering weapons never be able to spawn with SC. But at the very least remove all specials from it kinda like they did to the bonebreaker which was OP.

Awesome mages using weapons, with little defense to disarm... Two sides to every coin mate. Having alchmey had/has no weaknesses. Having a wep in your hand can be a libality in comparison.

You can counteract dp/splinter weps EXTREMELY easy, Firstly, if you see one of them charging to you, MOVE OUT THE WAY.
Secondly, why are you letting a mage ever get a full dump off on you? Why put yourself at that level of risk?
Lastly, If you think it's that overpowered, I will happily fight you - you can play a dp splinter mage and I'll play whatever i want - let's see what happens.

If you disagree to any of my points, please state rationale and logical reasons why. Everything in this game has to have a counter, that's how it works.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Nothing needs to be nerfed or changed. IMO pvp is balanced now. More balanced than it has been in quite a while. No need to break that balance by making unnecessary changes.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they would put something in game to remove it OFF weapons.
So often I find a nice weapon then notice it has splintering on it, as I PVM this weapon is now just imbuing regs.
Once again PvP ruins another drop system. :p
Weapon drops have always been useless in pvm. If you aren't using imbued weapons you are almost always going to be much much less effective.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Weapon drops have always been useless in pvm. If you aren't using imbued weapons you are almost always going to be much much less effective.
I've never once found a weapon with stats on it that would be good for PvM... EVER... found a few good splintering PVP weapons... but since I'm an archer.... they are of little use to me.

Found more weapons and things good for mages than anything... most everything I find is for mages... full of LRC and such... not really good for dexers.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'd honestly say compared to other points of UO, this is one of the most balanced times.
This is one of the most balanced times in that Sampires and Dexxers now completely dominate PvM and PvP. All round balanced coverage.
They have even turned most of the mages into Dexxers, who are now using weapons.

Splintering in itself is not an issue.
Deathstrike, Splinter, Dismount, DP AI AI AI is a huge issue.

For me, Dismount, Running, Potions are the biggest culprits in poor PvP style, it leads to making everything else look bad.

What happens to the Pure Mages, who don't want to adapt, and don't want to pick up a weapon?
(Who don't want parry, don't really want to use potions, just want a spellbook, and to play a mage?)

I've quit PvP now, I will be letting my sub run down, and I'll wait for a Pure Mage publish to decide if I return.
Been nice seeing the Tamer publish for Shadowguard, the Sampire publish in Doom, the PvP publish for Dexxers (Sampires) and weapon users, the new massive Tamer publish (I do wish tamers the best of luck btw it does look cool for them) - but seriously, there are other templates out there - Crafters, Rogues, and Pure Mages for example.

Last edited:

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This is one of the most balanced times in that Sampires and Dexxers now completely dominate PvM and PvP. All round balanced coverage.
They have even turned most of the mages into Dexxers, who are now using weapons.

Splintering in itself is not an issue.
Deathstrike, Splinter, Dismount, AI AI AI is a huge issue.

For me, Dismount, Running, Potions are the biggest culprits in poor PvP style, it leads to making everything else look bad.

What happens to the Pure Mages, who don't want to adapt, and don't want to pick up a weapon?
(Who don't want parry, don't really want to use potions, just want a spellbook, and to play a mage?)

I've quit PvP now, I will be letting my sub run down, and I'll wait for a Pure Mage publish to decide if I return.
Been nice seeing the Tamer publish for Shadowguard, the Sampire publish in Doom, the PvP publish for Dexxers and weapon users, the new massive Tamer publish (I do wish tamers the best of luck btw it does look cool for them) - but seriously, there are other templates out there - Crafters, Rogues, and Pure Mages for example.
Dexers dominating pvp? I don't think so. They do alright now, but up until the last publish, dexers were having a lot of problems in pvp due to the large number of parry mages running around. In fact it was quite rare to see a pure melee in pvp. It was mostly archers and parry mages. Now you actually get to see a variety of templates, which is a good sign of balance.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dexers dominating pvp? I don't think so. They do alright now, but up until the last publish, dexers were having a lot of problems in pvp due to the large number of parry mages running around. In fact it was quite rare to see a pure melee in pvp. It was mostly archers and parry mages. Now you actually get to see a variety of templates, which is a good sign of balance.
Parry mages were there, because it was the only response they had to overpowered dexxers - they sacrificed stats and mana to add parry which only had one use, defend v dexxers, and they sacrificed 1v1 killing ability.

Now parry has gone, and I have no issues with that in itself, mages shouldn't have parry anyway, mages have no defences v the current crop of dexxers.
And I count weapon mages as dexxer types.

The current tactics requirement allows Dexxers and weapon users to very cheaply have full use of every single special - including DP.
Be nice if spellcasters had full use of every single spell, by just picking up another book?

Maybe then, I could counter some of the moves? The guy above me talked about move and counter move - and that is what is missing for spellcasters now, we cannot counter many of the moves within 1 school.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Parry mages were there, because it was the only response they had to overpowered dexxers - they sacrificed stats and mana to add parry which only had one use, defend v dexxers, and they sacrificed 1v1 killing ability.
Now parry has gone, and I have no issues with that in itself, mages shouldn't have parry anyway, mages have no defences v the current crop of dexxers.
And I count weapon mages as dexxer types.
sacrifice killing ability? lol. Most were running around with 30 SDI and Alchemy or Scribe. They were doing plenty of damage. Not to mention the Shield Bash mastery abilty that many parry mages were using.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sacrifice killing ability? lol. Most were running around with 30 SDI and Alchemy or Scribe. They were doing plenty of damage. Not to mention the Shield Bash mastery abilty that many parry mages were using.
When have you ever seen a Dexxer type sit there and let you dump on them?
Parry mages ran out of mana fast, they could not continue it.
It was an effective team pvp template, I agree.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Also parry mages were mostly a response to Archers being overpowered.
When have you ever seen a Dexxer type sit there and let you dump on them?
Parry mages ran out of mana fast, they could not continue it.
It was an effective team pvp template, I agree.
With the gear that is available today, you can easily reach 80 dex and still have plenty of mana. I got couple chars with parry but they still have 180 mana and 150 hp

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also parry mages were mostly a response to Archers being overpowered.

With the gear that is available today, you can easily reach 80 dex and still have plenty of mana. I got couple chars with parry but they still have 180 mana and 150 hp
I know of Dexxers that run with 180 mana...
I like to use 200+ mana and have max regens.

Anyway, I've not been talking about Parry Mages, I've been talking about Pure Mages.
You diverted it into Parry Mages. (Who I agree were a response to Archers (another form of Dexxer).

Pure Mages are being ripped to shreds, and this is after the patch where the Devs deliberately nerfed Parry, and stated it would not be necessary anymore.
It is only not necessary, if you become a Dexxer like everyone else.
(Anything with a weapon, and over 10 Dex (or a basic minimum) is a Dexxer imo).

I've tried, it's DexxerUO time now, have fun all running round like headless chickens, slapping each other with all your ridiculous op specials, relying on rng etc.

I'm not interested in this, take care.

Last edited:

Epyco

Sage
Stratics Veteran
No please dont leave...the pvp scene will loose an important member who knows so much about pvp:(

Na just kidding.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Splintering needs to be nerfed on all specials. It was meant for melee characters to get back involved in pvp but is only abused by the worst mages in the game instead. Pvp is incredibly stupid right now due to this. Fix it before there is no pvp at all anymore.
Wait, so you are saying that since I play a char with 60 tactics and 120 weapon skill, I shouldn't be allowed to use the same tools you use on a char with 60 tactics and 120 weapon skill?

Splintering weapons are one of the most balanced tools in the game atm. They prevent all of these jacked up speed hackers and EC users from taking off like Usain Bolt every time they take more than 10 damage from an attack.

So the question to you is, why shouldn't a character with the same combat skills as you be able to use a weapon less capable than the one you carry? I say less capable because as a mage I require two more properties than you...spell channeling and no negative...two properties added later on in the life of this game as a result of complaints by melee characters much like yourself.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i kinda of wish splinter never left the garg weaps it was on. How long before bone breaker is on other weaps too lol. I think it could be evaluated whether splint should be allowed on certain specials like they did with disarm, like dismount for instance, but it needs more thought.

Overall i think pvp is fairly balanced right now between most classes. The tactics change didn't spur anything (i ran a tank mage before they did that) but it did make the hybrid temp easier to build. I'd still run a tank mage just fine if splinter was deleted from the game too, but if its available its gunna get used. The biggest reason you are seeing the usage of this is:

1. they removed parry from focused spec list and retimed nova pots. So people went from their super defense/super offense setup, to a setup that is high offense and low defense.

2. There have been several players that have played a splinter dp mage and the like for a while now. I'm thinking of virem for example, he had some crap butcher knife for a while and played a dp splinter mystic mage. But then suddenly these items flooded the market from bot farming, and now a simple vendor search for spell chan+splintering yields tons of them. They are extremely available now, where they were rare to find before.

If you want to complain about something, complain about the insane amount of high end armor being farmed at a ******** rate and delivered to the masses.

Last edited:

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
i kinda of wish splinter never left the garg weaps it was on. How long before bone breaker is on other weaps too lol. I think it could be evaluated whether splint should be allowed on certain specials like they did with disarm, like dismount for instance, but it needs more thought.

Overall i think pvp is fairly balanced right now between most classes. The tactics change didn't spur anything (i ran a tank mage before they did that) but it did make the hybrid temp easier to build. I'd still run a tank mage just fine if splinter was deleted from the game too, but if its available its gunna get used.

If you want to complain about something, complain about the insane amount of high end armor being farmed at a ******** rate and delivered to the masses.
I think it just need to remove the bleed or the slow, one or the other.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats actually a pretty solid take on it. Splinter has felt overpowered since it was introduced on the glass swords. Thats probably as good as you could do to nerf splintering without totally killing the value of items people paid for, and then the mod is still highly desired and not blown into obscurity.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
its hard because i kind of agree with pieces of it, and really like the idea of removing half of what it does... But on the flip side of the coin, the OP is bitter because he plays a mystic mage, isn't feeling the love, got wrecked by a splinter dp mage because he couldn't run away and then got on the boards to complain about it.

So... theres that too.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
its hard because i kind of agree with pieces of it, and really like the idea of removing half of what it does... But on the flip side of the coin, the OP is bitter because he plays a mystic mage, isn't feeling the love, got wrecked by a splinter dp mage because he couldn't run away and then got on the boards to complain about it.

So... theres that too.

and maybe that is the problem no specials with splinter at all would be the best solution. Splinter 1 vs 1 is not as much as an issue as it is stuck with lethal poison. Then again how else are we suppose to kill 4/6 chiv dexxers lol....

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and maybe that is the problem no specials with splinter at all would be the best solution. Splinter 1 vs 1 is not as much as an issue as it is stuck with lethal poison. Then again how else are we suppose to kill 4/6 chiv dexxers lol....
I like the idea of having a weapon to slow down a runner, more so than the bleed effect.

Could change the property entirely, call it Hit Sleep cap it at 30% like it is today. Then it'd still be pretty damn nice too.

Guess the base hits without specials still allow it to be a nice property too, though not nearly as valuable

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I like the idea of having a weapon to slow down a runner, more so than the bleed effect.

Could change the property entirely, call it Hit Sleep cap it at 30% like it is today. Then it'd still be pretty damn nice too.

Guess the base hits without specials still allow it to be a nice property too, though not nearly as valuable
aye the problem with the bleed is when a stickey lethal hits and you goto arch cure the hit spell, disrupts you then the bleed gets you then the tick gets you then a lightning. I have failed up to 9 cures one times and by that time your **** out of luck

A Slow would be great then if you want bleed use a warfork or a cleaver.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOLOL at people who think its complaining. Id still wreck 99% percent of mages if they don't change anything. The fact is that the people im fighting need this splinter DP combo to stay and fight instead of speed-hacking off my screen. Its incredibly sad to see such horrid mage-play after this many years. I find almost zero challenge in pvp these days other then to fight four times the number people. More needs to be done about the 3rd party programs too which cause the mass crashes too. I literally have to reopen my client every 10-15 minutes to avoid a crash in pvp which completely stupid. To those who are actually discussing the issue in this thread, good job. To those who think they can beat me or say im complaining stop trolling, your not good enough without a OP splinter setup, that's why you use it. :next:

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
LOLOL at people who think its complaining. Id still wreck 99% percent of mages if they don't change anything. The fact is that the people im fighting need this splinter DP combo to stay and fight instead of speed-hacking off my screen. Its incredibly sad to see such horrid mage-play after this many years. I find almost zero challenge in pvp these days other then to fight four times the number people. More needs to be done about the 3rd party programs too which cause the mass crashes too. I literally have to reopen my client every 10-15 minutes to avoid a crash in pvp which completely stupid. To those who are actually discussing the issue in this thread, good job. To those who think they can beat me or say im complaining stop trolling, your not good enough without a OP splinter setup, that's why you use it. :next:
Is this Warshak?

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes I am daddy Warshak. I would also like to add to those who think pvp got more balanced after that last combat patch. Go take a real look around, pvp has dropped off by like 50% since then cause that patch really didn't do anything to fix the problems. They finally fixed a bugged potion and put a small timer on novas, other then that nothing really changed. Archers can still auto-attack for higher damage then AI could do, lol. All that really changed is people that had alchemy switched to poisoning for splinter weapons. Even on atlantic there is only like 40-50 total players that even pvp at all, 3/4 of those people are in one of the two big zergs. I also find it funny when people smacktalk me on atlantic saying im not good yet no one fights against me without numbers, after they gank me with 5+ people they say I suck. Funniest thing ever.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So basically OP died to a DP splinter mage and now is calling to nerf that temp. Lmao
Yep.

I mean no doubt about it, splinter could use a change, it could have from the beginning, but the rationale is misplaced

cholupa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
its pretty stupid right now thought.. and for the most part he is right. but those people who run splinter dp will get smashed by archers or dexxers
so you are saying they have a weakness to archers and dexxers? Seems balanced then.

by using a weapon, they have to give up some defense

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You people are so beyond ridiculous. Melee templates are still basically non-existant, cept for maybe the occasional NS/DS. Only other template that shows up melee isn't cause they use pets and holy fist. The sdi increase just made mages even more powerful even though parry isn't used as much. If there is a template that is considered "gimp" its because something is OP. Which right now is the splinter DP setup and no loss in sdi. Archers can still miss just as much as before and the mage still cant when hes casting his damage. Im the only only person posting with a rational mind here it seems. I love the idiotic hate posts though, just proves who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.

cholupa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
You people are so beyond ridiculous. Melee templates are still basically non-existant, cept for maybe the occasional NS/DS. Only other template that shows up melee isn't cause they use pets and holy fist. The sdi increase just made mages even more powerful even though parry isn't used as much. If there is a template that is considered "gimp" its because something is OP. Which right now is the splinter DP setup and no loss in sdi. Archers can still miss just as much as before and the mage still cant when hes casting his damage. Im the only only person posting with a rational mind here it seems. I love the idiotic hate posts though, just proves who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.
if melee temps are non-existent and weak, then why would you want to nerf them further by nerfing their weapons? Horrible idea.

If DP mages were actually OP (which I don't agree with), then another solution must be found. One that does weaken the already "non-existent" melee characters

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if melee temps are non-existent and weak, then why would you want to nerf them further by nerfing their weapons? Horrible idea.

If DP mages were actually OP (which I don't agree with), then another solution must be found. One that does weaken the already "non-existent" melee characters
That's my point. Splintering was added to give melee a chance to compete again. But no one uses it that way cause splintering combined with ranged weapons is more OP and also casting with splintering is more OP. Either way using specials with splintering regardless of the template is just stupid. The player gets the hit spell plus slow plus bleed on top of another special. My original post suggested making it non spell channeling or add like -100 magery to the weapons so it cant be combined with casting schools. Maybe if your running more then 30 real skill in magery, splinter only does slow effect, but in melee does both. Also do the same for ranged classes, if they run more then 30 real archery then they don't get the full splinter affect either. Something has to be done cause pvp is just broken, and its more then just the splintering issues. It just happens to be the most ridiculous right now.

cholupa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
That's my point. Splintering was added to give melee a chance to compete again. But no one uses it that way cause splintering combined with ranged weapons is more OP and also casting with splintering is more OP. Either way using specials with splintering regardless of the template is just stupid. The player gets the hit spell plus slow plus bleed on top of another special. My original post suggested making it non spell channeling or add like -100 magery to the weapons so it cant be combined with casting schools. Maybe if your running more then 30 real skill in magery, splinter only does slow effect, but in melee does both. Also do the same for ranged classes, if they run more then 30 real archery then they don't get the full splinter affect either. Something has to be done cause pvp is just broken, and its more then just the splintering issues. It just happens to be the most ridiculous right now.
I play a pure melee in pvp. Without splintering weapons, I would just get kited all day long. It actually gives me a chance to catch up to ranged classes and mages. And I don't see a problem combining with specials. It is not like Glenda which was proccing 100% of the time. If melee is so weak as you claim, then why shouldn't they be able to combine specials and splintering?

Your other solutions seem more reasonable and would not affect pure melee. But I'm not sure those are necessary either

Last edited:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes I am daddy Warshak. I would also like to add to those who think pvp got more balanced after that last combat patch. Go take a real look around, pvp has dropped off by like 50% since then cause that patch really didn't do anything to fix the problems. They finally fixed a bugged potion and put a small timer on novas, other then that nothing really changed. Archers can still auto-attack for higher damage then AI could do, lol. All that really changed is people that had alchemy switched to poisoning for splinter weapons. Even on atlantic there is only like 40-50 total players that even pvp at all, 3/4 of those people are in one of the two big zergs. I also find it funny when people smacktalk me on atlantic saying im not good yet no one fights against me without numbers, after they gank me with 5+ people they say I suck. Funniest thing ever.
The only time I see you on Atlantic is in General Chat ranting about how player a sucks, player b sucks, and player c is terrible and sucks too. I once attempted to track you down in a quest to find out how awesome you really were, only to be disappointed by another Usain Bolt wannabe.

apple][

Visitor
As we know, there are nerf nerfs, and we also know there are nerf unnerfs. But there are also unnerf unnerfs. And if one looks throughout the history of UO and other free shards, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That could be a step in the right direction. But personally, I think it is dumb that a wep gives free specials. When you combine it with another special move- you essentially get 3 specials to go off at once- which is where it becomes stupid (bleed, walk, + random special).

I think a better fix would be it gives a bleed/walk but ONLY on hits without another special. Also, it taking SOME sort of mana would be nice- even it is a lowly 10.

Oh and if anyone thinks I am being bias- I am currently running the template because of how stupid it is.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Imho sampiers dexxers highbreeds is what killed UO there are no true templates left
It was fun when you didn't have to use all the potions buffs aids different spell books etc.
The hole spell book thing should be tied to classes not just one skill really made the game less fun and more complex.

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Splinter DP is just a easy template to play currently, most of the pvpers run away offscreen when low and Splinter DP allows you time to get a spell off on them before they can get away. The template is extremely overpowered and has a ton of offensive firepower, but I would say keep it until you can give mages some more utility to get kills one offscreeners or people trying to flea the fight.