• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Spellweaveing Needs More Love!

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Immolating weapon for one needs a bit more power at a level five or six focus it can do a bit of damage but truth be told it is very weak for the mana cost of the spell it takes Lots of mana and lasts very little time with a very small boost to dmg. This spell needs some love.

Gift Of Life: I ask the same question everyone else has asked umm What got changed seems exactly the same to me. would be nice if you could move with the rez gump up so you are not killed 2 seconds after you click ok by the thing that killed you in the first place 90% of the time.

Gift of renewal: Ok this one i think is perfect as it is now good healing for mana cost and lasts nicely with high level focus!

Arcane Empowerment: Also seems good now though 10% hp is kind of small for most of the summons you might have tested it out on ev's and earth eles today Oh my 14 hp 18 hp thats going to make such a difrence....Not.... the less chance of dispel now that is handy.

Thunderstorm: Ehh its not a bad one not my fav area dmg spell but it does well versus lots of things.

Natures Fury: Its fine as it is

Summon Fey/Summon Imp: would be nice if it actually summoned Pixy's and Imps not some under powered knock off's i used animal lore on them and was very disapointed at the skill levels of them.. though i guess the real things might take more slots if you did that.

Atunement: Its great though it had a bug in doom!-!--
If you cast this spell and fight the dark father you will do no dmg to him-!-!-
I think that could use a fix don't you

reaper form and the other spells all seem decent enough wild fire is ok though i do think it should do the same dmg to anything walking in it and not divide the dmg up for the mana cost it would be better to lay down 10 fire fields over this spell... Its nice area DOT dmg but the dmg is low very low for a high skill spell.

R

RichDC

Gift of life in my opinion should operate the same way the gems now do, if you die and dont take that res it should not disappear.

Also i do thin that if you flag criminal once you turn blue(if your still dead) you should then get the gump.

The only thing with the summons is that imps should get the same pack instinct, keep them weaker but make them have pack (just so its not as powerful as 5imps used to be), i do think that they need a boost in mage skill as well as mana increases.

All in all it is still my favourite "mage" skill in game atm but could do with some attention

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sign.

If we are in for an overall balance pass I would certainly hope that SW gets a look-see.

Its very restricted compared to all other casting skills in general difficulty to obtain/raise, and in order to make maximum use of the skill even at very high levels of skill you have to jump though very small flaming hoops(organize with four other players, on small shards a near impossibility)

If you go through all that it is still a whopper of a pvm spell set but the usefulness in pvp has been diminished greatly.

R

RichDC

Actually, In PvP its one of the most universally accepted skills in all templates and the reason the majority go human (joat weaving offers attunement, natures furies, gift of renewal immolating weap although ive never actually seen someone use this...even necro dexxers oh and thunderstorm for reveals/casting penalty)

But...you are correct high level weavers have the short end of the stick...difficult to get circles, no real point PvPwise (i dont even know if wildfire tags stealthed/invised players).

As far as i can tell 40-60 is basically all you would ever need PvP wise (gets you imps and gift of life)

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wildfire will reveal stealthers and hiders as long as their not the same color as your char (ie blues can't reveal blues). The problem with pixies and imps is that they can be dispelled every time using chiv or magery, while a demon can resist being dispelled sometimes. They need it where the higher your spellweaving and focus the harder it is to dispell your summons.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree to the OP mostly. Especially Immolate Weapon is pretty useless right now.

However, Spellweaving should also be looked into, concerning balance. What I dislike most is that people with ZERO skill still can use Attunement and Gift of Renewal and benefit from it. This is just wrong.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is good as is, but, would deserve to have some love.
I'm having a hate/love thing with SW. It just lacks that umph that would make me really love it.
I hate that I need to scour the Earth to get focus gems. If only Luna and Brit bank had arcane circles in Atlantic.

Thank goodness they fixed Arcane Empowerment. I was ready to give up until others discovered it was in fact broke and the devs agreed. I can't wait to take my mage out and play around with this spell.

O

onthefifty

i have it on my spawn char. gift of renewal with a lev 5-6 focus and essence of wind are the bomb at a rat spawn. wod is awesome also.

however when getting raided casting sw spells is the last thing on my mind. i just don't see the benefit for the prohibitive mana cost.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have it on my spawn char. gift of renewal with a lev 5-6 focus and essence of wind are the bomb at a rat spawn. wod is awesome also.

however when getting raided casting sw spells is the last thing on my mind. i just don't see the benefit for the prohibitive mana cost.
Truth, very helpful in speeding along the spawn, which has all sorts of good points, not so helpful in defending/raiding. What shard do you play on might I ask?

*nm found it in your avatar*

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree to the OP mostly. Especially Immolate Weapon is pretty useless right now.

However, Spellweaving should also be looked into, concerning balance. What I dislike most is that people with ZERO skill still can use Attunement and Gift of Renewal and benefit from it. This is just wrong.
Actually, those people have 20 spellweaving - not 0.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From PvP balance stand point, I do not agree that summon fey and summon imps should be buffed at all.

They have very little hp yes but they also cost very little to cast. If you get high focus you can summon a pack of them, and the summon speed is amazingly fast and they do have the power to take down a player quickly if they are not killed quickly. Many dexers who do not have AoE spells gets beat on hard while the SWer is also still attacking them. It takes more mana and longer casting time to mass dispel them just to be resummoned nearly instantly...

This combined with high focus Attunment even dexers who can dish out with huge amount of dmg cannot kill the SWer. It took me 3 AIs to completely take someone's attunment spell off and he wasnt even running focus 5 (he had focus 3). And after that he either recast or I have to damage him thru his gift of renewal while he's running AND healing full speed...

It's ok to increase the power of summon fey and imps if the casting time is increased to a reasonable amount, also make it impossible to summon multiple of them at a time or make it so the mana cost its tripled if you are summoning 3 of them 5x if you are summoning 5.

Spellweaving is pretty gimp when combined with other PvP skills and used right especially when it requires ZERO complimentary skills its not hard to fit into a template and also you dont need to go to 120 because WoD isnt useful in PvP and the good spells are all LOW level spells (kind like chiv), just a few friends or for someone like me with multiple accounts make 1 SW mule on each account with +-20 SW skill to your main and you are all set...

G

Green Meanie

mmmmmmmmmmmm Spell weaving

Not usless in pvp Essance of wind and thunderstrom will turn the tide in a mage fight in a manner witch will make your head spin. Pixies Own. Gift of renewal and Attunment great spells. Natures furry fine as is. Reaper form has its uses in pvm . Drayads all good. Arcan empowerment is nice.

Ok that being said lets look at the others

Immolate weapon is usless. Make it do 4 damage per arcane focus level plus 2 per 24 spellweaving. This would translate vs a player 1 damage against 70 resists per cicle level and 1 damage every 48 spell weaving. at 120 with a 6 focus this is 9 extra damage a swing. Not so much that its usless but anofe to make it usable

Make summon imps stronger they are too weak compaired to fairys.

ethry voyage is near usless take off the noone flaged on you rule and make it work just like honor. Maybe lower the durration becouse it would be chainable.

Wild fire i can agree make it not divie its damage for multiple targets and its fine

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am still baffled as to why everyone is/wanting to use their Arcane Empowerment for SUMMONS! Holy heck, it has a big SDI bonus, and for G'heals alone its insane. Why on EARTH are you people wasting that much mana, only to waste more on summons??

As for the rest, any changes to SW have to be looked at carefully for PvP balance, as noted. And yes, Essence of Wind and T-storm are HUGE at a choke point, and Wildfire is a great mage-fizzler, especially at 6 focus. 1-2 weavers can hold a HUGE choke alone if they know what they are doing.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When used properly this tertiary skill can be of great benefit to many different types of characters. Yes...I did say tertiary, as it takes a backseat in the game of spellcasting like all tertiary skills to magery. In essence magery IS magic in UO.

If you really do wish to compare skill to skill, you should be thinking along the lines of ninja, necromancy(secondary/tertiary in its own right), and chivalry...all of which are potent in thier own light. As is though, as the above poster stated...a good spellweaver can very well trump most of these other tertiary skills.

So why ask for more love, the skill is already VERY potent...with a level 6 it OMGWTFPWNZ. Immolate weapon? Phhfft, considering its low level do you really think it needs adjustment? Rhetorical mind you...I really don't care to read anymore.

/end rant

E

eolsunder

Spellweaving is fine as it is, as a SOLO skill it is perfectly powerful with alot of abilities.

Don't go griping about a nice solo skill that doesn't take up much room on a character compared to necromancy (necro/ss) or music (music peace, or music discord, or music provoke), or similiar skills.

Chivalry nice one skill power
Spellweaving nice one skill power

don't mess with them, or soon you'll have better spellweaving, but it will be tied to your "alchemy" skill or something.