• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Specific template advice

G

Until recently my template was a necro/mage/arcanist monster that was just spread too thin. It was great fun to play and I enjoyed having a little something for any situation but it meant that I was too ineffective in critical situations.

I traded my necromancy and spirit speak in for chivalry and poisoning. It's odd I know but I thought it would give me the boost I needed. I'm having some trouble with the template.

120 magery
120 resist
100 eval
100 meditation
100 poisoning.
80 chivalry
80 spellweaving

I use chivalry mainly for healing/curing. The fast casting of close wounds is just excellent. I'd rather not drop it. I'd also rather not drop my 80 spellweaving because I just enjoy having that ogre lord with me in pvm.

Poisoning isn't hitting often enough without that 120 eval I think. In pvm it's hardly ever used and in pvp someone with 120 resist just shrugs it off (or cures it). Having that poisoning isn't giving me the god-like boost to damage that I thought it would. I suppose I just remembered all those times something hit me with level 4 or 5 poison and I was totally helpless. Most people or monsters don't seem to have so much trouble with it.

Please suggest changes to this template that would make me whole again without losing those things which are important to me.
Radical suggestions may be needed.

I could replace that poisoning with Inscription, or Wrestling and then lose the staff of the magi.
I also may want to find a way to powerscroll that eval up but I don't know where to deduct points.

All help is appreciated,
Sirus

I

imported_Farsight

<blockquote><hr>

Poisoning isn't hitting often enough without that 120 eval I think. In pvm it's hardly ever used and in pvp someone with 120 resist just shrugs it off (or cures it). Having that poisoning isn't giving me the god-like boost to damage that I thought it would. I suppose I just remembered all those times something hit me with level 4 or 5 poison and I was totally helpless. Most people or monsters don't seem to have so much trouble with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

From that paragraph, I submit that you already know what you want to do.

So just drop poisoning. If I were you, I'd add the extra 100 points to the skills you already have, that's 20 to EI, 20 to meditation, and 40 to spellweaving. Then I'd take a few points away from chivalry, and put what's left over into focus, as nothing else would really help at such low skill levels.

I

imported_Leto

<blockquote><hr>

Why would I want the extra spellweaving? I can't think of a reason to 120 it.

[/ QUOTE ]The duration/potency of most spellweaving spells is affected both by your level of skill and focus (arcane focus). Also, at 120 skill you don't fizzle any spells, not even Word of Death.
Specially the WoD spell takes a loooong time to cast, even at FC 4, and your window to land them is fairly small. So not fizzeling those really helps.

Spellweaving is much more usefull then most people think. In fact, even most people who do have spellweaving don't make proper use of it. All they cast is WoD and Natures Fury, while the other spells can be very usefull aswell, in the right situation.

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think you need 80 chiv to cast close wounds and clease by fire, but I'm not sure what the minimum is to never fail a cast.

Poisoning isn't really too bad, but it kinda depends on what you're doing with your mage. Poisoning is a great compliment to fencing because you can use infect strike with no tactics. So, you could make a nox mage with fencing and use Lethal Poison on people with a spell channeling kryss. Also, poisoning makes it so your poison fields do level 4 poison. It helps at champ spawns and places with lots of monsters you have to kill fast.

I could be mistaken , but I think your magery skill determines how often your poison spell is successful on people with high magic resist. I have 120 eval and magery, and sometimes guys will resist my poison spell several times in a row. That's just how it is sometimes.

A nox fencing mage is pretty specialized though and I don't know if you could fit spell weaving into that template.

I would try and shoot for at least 110 eval, no matter what you're doing.

Uhm.. so.. If you want the poisoning, I would consider fencing or swords (to use a kryss or a cleaver). Otherwise, the poisoning isn't going to be that great really in my opinion. So if you drop the poisoning, think about taking some points away from chiv, and getting wrestling up to 110-120. The Staff of Magi is alright, but there's some awesome Scappers Compendium spell books that have insane mods on them. You could equip a shield too. Also - using the wrestling special moves(disarm and paralyze blow) do not need tactics. And hey , disarm is awesome against dexers in pvp.

Anyway, just some input. Gonna stop rambling now.

I

imported_GFY

If you really want to give poisoning a try use it properly. In pvm the best way to give level 5 poison is with fields. Directly casting poison on a monster is less effective unless your standing next to it. (not a great place to be IMHO)

Now your template would be much more effective with 120 eval. This would give all your spells a boost in damage.

If you deciede poisoning isn't for you... try dropping (soul stoning) poison and boosting everything else to 120. You may want to try poison on a meelee template someday.

Don't forget to carry a good mage weapon to give your defensive skill.

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you really wanted to keep your Poisoning and you have your necro stoned, you could put necro back on your template - with Evil Omen you can Lethal poison someone from within 2 tiles. I wouldn't add a weapon skill unless you made some adjustments so that it would be 120.