• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) Sosaria - Land of Virtue lost.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
' When the citizens of Sosaria organized to form their new world, they adopted eight virtues of behavior.'

Since that time we. the people, have tried to live up to that ideal. last night in Nujelm it became obvious that we have lost our way. The members of the Royal Investigators captured the revolutionary Koba in Skara some time ago and he has been held in the jail in Nujelm since then. Last night after foiling an attempt by Rob Spear, his second-in -command, to free him there was discussion as to what action should be taken regarding Koba.

Some present wanted him to be executed and the remainder wanted him to be held for trial. The Sultan decided that his fate would be decided by vote and all there split into two groups those for summary execution and those favouring a trial.

To Sosarias detriment I have to report that by 11 votes to 10 it was decided that he was to be executed with no trial at a future date to be announced.

This is contrary to any rule of law, this is mob justice pure and simple. Where are the virtues by which we supposedly live in this decision? If you look none will be found. The virtues have been abandoned.

If this is done those of us who helped capture him will have his blood on our hands for doing so.

I hold no brief for Koba, I too think he should die and his guilt is evident but this should be proven under the law. The clamour for his death by summary execution is not justice and it will not be justice it will be MURDER, no more and no less. Under mob rule who will be next? Rob Spear? his hands are as bloody as Kobas he has as much to answer for, and then who?.

All citizens under the law are entitled to the protection of that law and even the most despicable are entitled to a fair trial.

We have already seen the start of the erosion of the rule of law when the Mayor of Jhelom oredered an attack on Moonglow, an attack which was unjustified and for which he has not been brought to account.

I was overjoyed with the reappearance of Dupre and for me it held out hope that he would perhaps become our future king. However I would point out that Dupre's guiding virtue is Honor, the decision last night suggests to me that we have lost our honor, I wonder if he would consent to rule a realm without honor and ruled by the will of the mob untempered by Justice.

I can only hope that before it happens reason prevails and the decision reversed. I have no wish to look back and think that I helped capture a man who was then murdered by some of his captors.

AyaraBlue

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has been decided that Koba should be executed without a trial??? That´s outrageous! Too bad Ms Bee was away on a mission in foregin lands and unable to attend the event. Otherwise the vote would´ve been 11-11.

Leodegan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Regretably I was unable to attend these missions as well. Having read this Im also shocked that Koba is to be put to death especially without a trial. I completely agree that this is not how a virtuous system works, proper conduct is required, this should start with a trial. As for his punishment, to decide upon death without a trial is murder. A trial would show the citizens of all the towns who suffered exactly who is responsible. What exactly was the point of capturing Koba if we are going to cut him down? Besides the fact that Koba even WITH a trial would simply create a martyr for the revolution to rally around. A trial is required where all his crimes can be put into the public knowledge the decisiion of punishment should not be given in haste or by mob law.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also was not able to attend, and I am in turn also disappointed with our fellow Sossarians; I hoped that the virtue of Compassion would be expressed, because despite encouraging Koba to reveal his true nature to the Sultan, because if we abandon the very principles which guide our higher selves, if we give in to fear, vengeance or a misguided sense of brutal "pragmatism", then Koba has ultimately won. The path of virtue isn't easy, often isn't even rewarding, but it should be followed because ultimately it is the right moral path to take. And the realm will be weaker, and our natures much baser if we allow ourselves to step down from our more exalted position and wrestle in the mud with the moral pigs.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was no quorum for proper voting. I missed voting phase due guarding Koba's cell with 5 other guardians.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was my thought as well. We were just 21 prople left to vote.. some were with Koba and people thought we were done and left before the sultan spoked. Also we had been to a pub earlier and im not sure everyone was sober and thinking clearly.