• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Someone copied my house design

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This used to be the design for my Makoto rare museum. It looks like a perfect replica. I wonder who made it?

Looking closer at the windows, they might have even copied it to that detail.

eve

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do believe that is the most sincere form of flattery, is it not?

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had someone copy the exterior design of my house too - down to the grey stone first storey and wattle and daub above, and the grey roofing tiles. I would be flattered, but I inherited the place from a friend so the design wasn't mine lol

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had people on other shards copy my house designs. I camped an idoc on europa that was a copy of a house I did during one of the expansion betas. I entered a contest on another messageboard and one of the other entrants copied one of my house designs (that got a little ugly). I entered an EM sponsored halloween contest and half the other people in the contest stole my original deco and used it. Someone was selling a house on Baja and I complimented their house design - it was a copy of one of mine, and I was being tongue in cheek but they brazenly thanked me and didn't admit to the theft. :p

It's actually kind of funny after a while. I did learn my lesson about the deco contests - keep your house locked up and private till the last day you can enter, especially if you've created some brand new deco. Or it *will* get copied by the shameless. :thumbsup:

F

Flora Green

I've had people on other shards copy my house designs. I camped an idoc on europa that was a copy of a house I did during one of the expansion betas. I entered a contest on another messageboard and one of the other entrants copied one of my house designs (that got a little ugly). I entered an EM sponsored halloween contest and half the other people in the contest stole my original deco and used it. Someone was selling a house on Baja and I complimented their house design - it was a copy of one of mine, and I was being tongue in cheek but they brazenly thanked me and didn't admit to the theft. :p

It's actually kind of funny after a while. I did learn my lesson about the deco contests - keep your house locked up and private till the last day you can enter, especially if you've created some brand new deco. Or it *will* get copied by the shameless. :thumbsup:
I've had this problem as well. When I borrow an idea and get complimented I note who I got it from or if I don't know the origin of the design I simply say that I saw it elsewhere and that I don't take credit for it. One house I designed on test when SE came out has been copied so many times it's ridiculous and actually won a contest.

My Hanging Gardens has also been copied numerous times as well as entered in a contest and not once have I gotten credit for the creation of it from the people using it. I don't mind people wanting to borrow or use elements of the design, but don't enter it in a contest and claim it's yours. Also, have a little bit of decency if you post it in the Homes and Castles house thread where the original design is and don't claim it as your own design. :cursing:

Cadsuane Sedai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't mind when ppl copy my designs or decos thats why i share. I only get miffed when they claim it as "Their own design"

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe people copying things =) I gave up and I've been wanting to do tutorials but alas I've yet to find a home to do them in.

L

Lord Drakelord

I steal things all the time from here, what can i say but thanks. About the only thing I did myself was a runner on a treadmill. Its a vendor we have in a Keep on Sonoma. Standing on a single bed that has been made to look like a treadmill, the vendor is dressed in running clothes. The Goza square makes it look like its a treadmill of today. A Sword stand and black staff complete the head of the treadmill.

N

NewYears1978

Happens all the time...=)

I sold a house 5 years ago, and to this day it is still designed how I had designed it..

Take it as flattery...or that the other person lacks any building skill, he he =)

Falon of Eldor

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always copy house designs...but change walls and stuff to my own tastes, and always put the original designers name on my house sign (however, just removed that info after having it say it for over a year).