• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some questions about MIBS and special fishing nets

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm working on a new char who'll be a fisher, for now I use her to raise skills, meaning she has less than 400 skill points for max gain and is useless in a fight.

To protect her my disco(59)/tamer on my other account is on the boat with a nightmare/rune beetle (can't control a GD yet so it's the best spellcasters I have)

I wanted to know if it would be enough against the mobs that can spawn while doing the MIBS and fishing with the special fishing nets ?

If not I could stone fishing and give it to my peace/tamer on my main account that has a very good GD.
In that case my tamer would loose peace and while she's GM mage she doesn't have eval int. Would that be ok or still no good ?

Edit :
Another way to put it would be to ask
what can spawn with those (MIBS and special nets) ?
does my fishing skill have an influence at all ?
What about luck (I know nothing regarding the MIB chest, but what about the nets ?)

Last edited:

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You can do MIB's with no problem as there is no spawn when you fish them up. Special fishing nets are a different story and are doable by your tamer but may be a challenge. When you toss a net you are most likely to pull about 3-5 mobs ranging from water elementals, sea serpents, deep sea serpents, and possibly a kraken. Can your fisher and tamer invis? Once the net is tossed all agro will be initially on the person that tosses the net. Technically you don't even need your fisher to throw the net, just the tamer. To be able to tell you more, I would need to know your fisher's template. One of the best things I can advise is to go magery and get yourself a reptile slayer spellbook for the sea serpents and krakens. With gm magery and eval and a slayer spellbook you can pretty much drop them with 2-3 ebolts and not much time or gold invested in the training. What shard do you play on? If you are on Chessy, I can help you out.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks Lestat, that's exactly what I needed to know !

My fisher has almost Gm fishing, 100 mining (to ship mining and hopefully get some saltpeter) and 52 alchemy (raising it to be able to craft the stuff needed for my canons). Basically as of now it's a mule.
Later on I'll define a real template and make something of her, but it doesn't help now.

My secondary tamer can invis, but frizzles often (83 magery only atm), so I can't rely on it.
I already get sea and deep sea serpents and some water elem and my fisher is able to stay alive while the rune and nightmare kill it. they are fast and the tamer heals the fisher in the mean time.Plus the fisher has a decent suit with 60 ish resists, 70 phy/energy even.
But against a Kraken I'm not so sure it would work.

I could stone vet on the tamer on my main account (same as mule with fishing) and put fish instead just to do the nets.
She's a legendary peace and also has Gm magery so she can easily break agro if needed or just invis with no problem, besides she has a good GD, I don't think a Kraken will last long.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Okay here are some ideas, not sure what your tamer has but guessing that jewelry is already being used for taming. You can always try the tomb of lost knowledge spellbook to add +15 magery to your tamer to get to 98. ALl you have to do is equip it, doesn't matter if it is empty or not. As far as fishing you can keep what you have an easily add some offensive fire power.

100 fishing
100 mining
100 alchemy
100 magery
100 eval int
100 med or focus
100-120 (depending on account age) of anything else.

Equip a reptile slayer spellbook and you have a fisher to be reckoned with while still being able to do the other things that you want right now.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty much everything you both figured out already... One thing you might want to consider to make things a bit easier: Just do the mib's with your fisherman, magery and a Snake Slayer spellbook (if you play Pacific I'll give you one) and you can generally kill the serpents with a single Ebolt... Save all the nets and do them with your Tamer... Your Peace will come in handy here also, and what DL said about the tome of lost knowledge is right on... It'll get your magery up to where Invis doesn't fail much.

Last edited:

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you both for your very helpful advice !

My secondary tamer has already the tomb of lost knowledge on hand, and you guessed right her ring and brace are needed for their taming/lore bonus to control her actual pets :p
Yes she's quite weak, she's just beginning in fact but has some of my main tamer old pets (decent mid-level pets with high training), that's her main usefulness at the moment.
So there is no way to improve her with just some gear, but to help along for the MIBS she's more than enough ... well her pets are ;)
Also she has magery but no eval int so anyway her damaging spells are useless.

For the nets I'll take your advice and do those with my main tamer and her GD as soon as I finish fishing all the MIBS.... so in a week or so as I have quite a number of those... I have been fishing only for a week with enough level to get those and have already 15 !
I love fishing :D (well except crab and lobster fishing, that really I could do without :/ )

Oh and startle thanks for your kind proposition, but I'm on drachs actually. It was very nice of you !

Last edited:

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just wanted to weigh in with my $0.02 here - I also have a mage fisher/gatherer (working towards 120 fishing, with 100 in magery, eval, med., mining, and LJ). One trick I have very recently discovered for this particular build is to cast 'Protection'. This spell is permanent until death or re-casting and makes it MUCH easier to battle sea spawn (i.e. water ellies and sea serpents). I have found that the magery/eval is plenty to tackle a sea serp., but the trick is not getting interrupted while casting e-bolts (very annoying, as you have little space to "hide" from the spawn while on a boat). Having protection activated is a HUGE help.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Another option is to get some 8th circle scrolls for summons, and just do them on the fisher.

Magery scrolls casting difficulty is as if the spell was two levels lower, so casting an 8th circle spell from scroll has the same success chance as casting a 6th circle spell like E-bolt or invis. Of course, you don't even have to have the scrolls - if your skill is high enough level to cast succeed even rarely, just keep casting until you got two up - after all, you'll be doing it BEFORE the net is tossed.

Before you toss the net, have two earth elementals, or an earth and a water, already cast from scroll and guarding you (and have protection active as well). As controlled summons, you can heal them with spells, so have their bars pulled up. Toss the net, cast invisibility, but don't target yourself until the spawn appears. That way, the guarding effect of the summons will kick in. Heal the summons as needed. This method allows you to go with little or no Eval Int for the mage, since you aren't casting directly on them.

Most non-white nets are easily done this way.

Oh, and as a fisher, I find a water elemental slayer spellbook more useful. The Water eles from nets and roaming wild are MUCH more proficient spellcasters than the serpents, so I make sure to kill them first, then concentrate fire on any krakens, saving the serpents for last.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for the rest, I had 26 MIBS in fact and have done 25 of those with only 3 sea serpents spawning.

Tomorrow I'll stone fishing and have a go at the special nets. But I keep in mind the Fisherman template for later, I'm waiting to see what exactly I'll want to do with it (fishing mibs and nets, dungeon fishing, pirate hunting ...).[/quote]

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
..... Before you toss the net, have two earth elementals, or an earth and a water, already cast from scroll and guarding you (and have protection active as well). As controlled summons, you can heal them with spells, so have their bars pulled up. Toss the net, cast invisibility, but don't target yourself until the spawn appears. That way, the guarding effect of the summons will kick in. Heal the summons as needed. This method allows you to go with little or no Eval Int for the mage, since you aren't casting directly on them.
Excellent advice.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I finally got around doing the nets today. I remembered what Lestat and startle said, that the fisher didn't need to be the one to toss the net.
So I went with my main tamer solo with 0 fishing. As I know that she can peace everything that could spawn I went with a rune beetle mostly trained and a bake kitsune freshly bonded that needed training. It's as powerful a combination than 2 earth elem or an earth and a water elem, so I though it would be ok.

I tossed the net and invis but still when the beasts spawned they attacked me directly. So I would say that the best tactic if you can is to wait for the spawn and then area peace and invis.
Anyway those mobs really aren't that though compared with some stuff we see nowdays, so they died quickly with little damage to my tamer and pets.

It's kind of disappointing in a way, I expected a big fight, it was easy, but most of all the loot was very poor.
9 nets tossed, 2000 gp 4 MIBS and 5 T maps (4 lvl 1 1 lvl 2). The only point I see in tossing the nets is getting MIBS :p

Another question about the MIBS, I read that Luck doesn't affect the chance to get an ancient SOS, but what about the loot in the chest you fish ?

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahhh, cleaned up (this thread, that is)... Good.
Luck effecting loot, I've not heard that it does or doesn't...

Last edited:

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep my "fishing treasures" chest is empty and clean waiting for new MIBS ^^

I now know how to manage all that, it's quite easy in fact, and could be done with a char in training, good way to get some money for a new player IMO. Only problem is to get the money for the boat first.

As for the MIBS loot and luck, I'll take the better sure route and send my fisher with the tamer suit (best luck suit I have). Doesn't hurt anything to be cautious and I wouldn't want to miss some good stuff by being lazy :)

Thanks again to you all for the advices, I'm not sure I would have dared try otherwise :p