• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some of my favorite artists...

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went straight to the Gallery, Bad-Ass! I saw some resemblances to our Troglodyte in several. So that's what you draw?? I can only say WOW. I grew up a fan of Roger Dean (did the album covers for Yes) back in the day.

I have to say I'm nosy as heck, and like the aspects of creation - making something you created come alive, a 'birth' of sorts, and then to use it to scare the crap out of players is an even bigger thrill i suppose.

[OT] Other things I'd be asking (in other threads):

Like a (non-spoiler) (non-technical) Disney 'behind the scenes' look of how a mob gets into the game.
What's a typical day in the life of Grimm like, at work.
Tools of the trade.. hardware, software(unless it's proprietary), and other mechanics typically used. [/OT]

I took commercial art in school, drawing, silk-screen, etc, then worked next door to a friend's art school for 20yrs, so i get the idea of paints & brush, but there were no computers back then, so the newer electronic age is where I left off, but still fascinated.
No, no. I don't draw anywhere near like he sculpts, but maybe some day. :)

I'll talk to Jeff to see if there's anything we can do to give a "behind the scenes" look at getting an animation in the game. It might be a little tricky finding a balance that's informative and still makes sure we don't give out any proprietary information.

Rodger Dean is amazing - and the Yes covers were some of my all time favorites - Loved the Boston album Covers as well.

As far as school goes, same here. My teachers took the approach that you need to learn how it used to be done so you can understand why things work the way they do now on computers. So we started with calligraphy, then moved to typesetting on an old Washington printing press, then moved on to an automated printing press, silk screening, photography (taking AND processing them). I think this is why I take the approach I do in my classes, because I left those classes feeling SO much more well- rounded.

I wish I were better at the non- digital stuff - something that I'm working to fix starting with sculpting... but I got a long way to go down that road.

-Grimm
To view the original post, please click here