• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some of my favorite artists...

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wanted to pass on some artists that inspire me as an artist. First off I'd like to present Joru Schell. He's an exceptional sculptor and if I ever get to sculpt at a quarter his level, I'll consider myself lucky. Check out his gallery.

Schell Sculpture Studio

-Grimm

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
That is some wicked cool stuff!
Speaking of that might be nice to let everyone know what kinds of art do you practice and maybe what kind of training you have had! I know I am curious!

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am so SO glad I did not open that link before bed time!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Schell is a little too macabre for my taste, exceptionally well done though it is.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Schell is a little too macabre for my taste, exceptionally well done though it is.
I have a friend who likes the Mark Rayden works and well, the Schell's work is not macabre in comparison :D

S

Sevin0oo0

I went straight to the Gallery, Bad-Ass! I saw some resemblances to our Troglodyte in several. So that's what you draw?? I can only say WOW. I grew up a fan of Roger Dean (did the album covers for Yes) back in the day.

I have to say I'm nosy as heck, and like the aspects of creation - making something you created come alive, a 'birth' of sorts, and then to use it to scare the crap out of players is an even bigger thrill i suppose.

[OT] Other things I'd be asking (in other threads):

Like a (non-spoiler) (non-technical) Disney 'behind the scenes' look of how a mob gets into the game.
What's a typical day in the life of Grimm like, at work.
Tools of the trade.. hardware, software(unless it's proprietary), and other mechanics typically used. [/OT]

I took commercial art in school, drawing, silk-screen, etc, then worked next door to a friend's art school for 20yrs, so i get the idea of paints & brush, but there were no computers back then, so the newer electronic age is where I left off, but still fascinated.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

To be honest, I never really considered much of artwork until I started playing Magic "back in the day" (started in mid 94 played mainly through 03 when I moved down to FL, rarely/don't play anymore due to life changes, no real gaming group down here, etc). If you take away the game aspect and just check out the artwork, there are some great pieces and artists involved with the series, especially earlier on when they were given MUCH more freedom in what they produced (now they have to follow a thematic outline). From an artwork standpoint, the set The Dark was always one of my favorites, and when putting together a deck, I would find myself choosing even the basic lands or any multiple-artwork cards based on the artwork I liked best. Of course there are probably too many names to list, but I guess if I had to pull one, it would be John Avon for his land artwork which was at the same time noticeably computer generated, yet super-realistic at the same time.

I guess that's held over as my desktop backgrounds are a rotating batch of computerized fantasy landscape images.

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wanted to pass on some artists that inspire me as an artist. First off I'd like to present Joru Schell. He's an exceptional sculptor and if I ever get to sculpt at a quarter his level, I'll consider myself lucky. Check out his gallery.

Schell Sculpture Studio

-Grimm
I must admit I've always been fond of David Cherry's work. David Cherry - Fine Art I think he worked for X-Box for a time. Trivia is that he was an attorney before he became a full-time artist.

S

Sevin0oo0

another one, while not an artist per sey, more an art 'type' - Spray Paint. (not graffiti ) I first saw this along some rio grande in Mexican border towns a couple years ago, doing landscapes and various mountain/waterfall scenes. Done, and in a matter of minutes, amazing. Here's a typ ex

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One of my favorite artists is a character designer for many 80s & 90s anime; Haruhiku Mikimoto (who usually signs his work as HAL).

One of the impressive things about his work is that much of it is done in MARKER.
(Note that the partial reflection in the pic is from the girl sitting by a window of a spacecraft, that's starting to fog up from her breath)

macross30b.jpg

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went straight to the Gallery, Bad-Ass! I saw some resemblances to our Troglodyte in several. So that's what you draw?? I can only say WOW. I grew up a fan of Roger Dean (did the album covers for Yes) back in the day.

I have to say I'm nosy as heck, and like the aspects of creation - making something you created come alive, a 'birth' of sorts, and then to use it to scare the crap out of players is an even bigger thrill i suppose.

[OT] Other things I'd be asking (in other threads):

Like a (non-spoiler) (non-technical) Disney 'behind the scenes' look of how a mob gets into the game.
What's a typical day in the life of Grimm like, at work.
Tools of the trade.. hardware, software(unless it's proprietary), and other mechanics typically used. [/OT]

I took commercial art in school, drawing, silk-screen, etc, then worked next door to a friend's art school for 20yrs, so i get the idea of paints & brush, but there were no computers back then, so the newer electronic age is where I left off, but still fascinated.
No, no. I don't draw anywhere near like he sculpts, but maybe some day. :)

I'll talk to Jeff to see if there's anything we can do to give a "behind the scenes" look at getting an animation in the game. It might be a little tricky finding a balance that's informative and still makes sure we don't give out any proprietary information.

Rodger Dean is amazing - and the Yes covers were some of my all time favorites - Loved the Boston album Covers as well.

As far as school goes, same here. My teachers took the approach that you need to learn how it used to be done so you can understand why things work the way they do now on computers. So we started with calligraphy, then moved to typesetting on an old Washington printing press, then moved on to an automated printing press, silk screening, photography (taking AND processing them). I think this is why I take the approach I do in my classes, because I left those classes feeling SO much more well- rounded.

I wish I were better at the non- digital stuff - something that I'm working to fix starting with sculpting... but I got a long way to go down that road.

-Grimm

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
another one, while not an artist per sey, more an art 'type' - Spray Paint. (not graffiti ) I first saw this along some rio grande in Mexican border towns a couple years ago, doing landscapes and various mountain/waterfall scenes. Done, and in a matter of minutes, amazing.
It's aways cool to watch someone who knows their tools. And to be able to crank that out in such short order is pretty cool.

-Grimm

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, Venture Bros. reference.

Did you know that according to Dr. Rusty Venture, Dean (his son) was named for R. Dean (and he made Dean Venture go in and listen to all the LPs he had with RD artwork, while looking at the covers, to try to get inspiration).

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just have to say this to any *teachers* of art out there.
Never squash any non conventional thinkers thinking about colors or art or any forms of artistic creativity.
:)
To this day, years later I still remember my one highschool art teacher, yelled at me for my attempting to do my 6 wks on *advertisment* art because I opted to use colors of a sunset like pinks and oranges, and was doing a *cosmetics* art for my project. All she did was yell at me bout my color choices, and she about stunted any love I had for creativity and art down the toilet.

Then 2 rl years later COVERGIRL cosmetics was doing all their ads in magazines etc. in...
YOU GUESSED IT PINKS AND ORANGES !! Heck had that teacher not shut me up and stiffled me,
I mighta been rich makin *covergirl* ads myself in pinks and oranges !!
Few yrs. later Braniff International did a whole spiel of pychodelicy ads and clothing even their jets,
in pinks oranges and colors that made ya think they were *smokin something* ! :)
Even to this day, ya see make up ads in hues of a sunset, not like I would wear pink and orange eyeshadow but...just sayin' the creative ones should never have their creativity squished cuz of some *artistic* rulez or norm of the day !

BAH NEVER STUNT NO ONES ARTISTIC ENDEVOURS !

They will remember it YEARS later and say ...YOU WERE WRONG
to chastise me for thinkin outside of the box ! :)

*there got that off my chest* back to ye regularly sked'd program !

My fav artist is VAN GOGH... & cuz his art says he used to think outside of the norm
of convention/accepted art and out of the norm of usual art in a crayola paint box ! :)

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just have to say this to any *teachers* of art out there.
Never squash any non conventional thinkers thinking about colors or art or any forms of artistic creativity.
To this day, years later I still remember my one highschool art teacher, yelled at me for my attempting to do my 6 wks on *advertisment* art because I opted to use colors of a sunset like pinks and oranges, and was doing a *cosmetics* art for my project. All she did was yell at me bout my color choices, and she about stunted any love I had for creativity and art down the toilet.

Agreed - what I really appreciated about my teachers at the time was that they said "You can break all the rules about creating art you want, but you have to know the rules first."

I have to admit that I think back on my high school teacher telling me that I'd never be able to make a living in art drawing dragons and monsters... LOL. I can appreciate what she was trying to do, but you have to find another way to direct your students rather than just tell them that they will never be able to make aliving at their passion.

-Grimm

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed - what I really appreciated about my teachers at the time was that they said "You can break all the rules about creating art you want, but you have to know the rules first."

I have to admit that I think back on my high school teacher telling me that I'd never be able to make a living in art drawing dragons and monsters... LOL. I can appreciate what she was trying to do, but you have to find another way to direct your students rather than just tell them that they will never be able to make aliving at their passion.

-Grimm
that was just a way to help the students to avoid future delusions, since how many have a real chance to work in the gaming industry? :p
sometimes the passion is not enough, especially during this times that noone can find a job, not even as cleaner :D

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*whispers* now about that Siege Perilous 14 yr. vet reward... hehe

I know yu can make us a rug if not a Siege shard shield and it would look GrimmOmen-ly artistically... spiffy !~!

E

elspeth

*there got that off my chest* back to ye regularly sked'd program !
This is true for more than just art I think. I remember reading a poem in English class and writing a paper where I chose a thesis and found 3 points to prove it. My teacher gave me a bad grade and told me that I interpreted the poem wrong. I was like, I don't care what the rest of the world thinks this poem is about, I found a slightly different interpretation and found 3 things that seemed to support that idea. Whether I was wrong about the poem or not really should be of no consequence so long as I can write a well formed essay. It's easy enough to read what "the world" thinks a particular poem is about. One should not be penalized for coming up with a new possibility.

stupid teachers!!

*got that off my chest* :)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Yep those are cool, I eluded to them in another post ..thanks for sharing them airmid ....since Grimm is to shy ;-)

W

Woodsman

Now that Ultima VIII is up on GOG, UltimaCodex.com posted a bunch of Ultima VIII stuff.

You may appreciate this -

Ultima 8 Source Graphics : Ultima 8

What is impressive about both images is that they are not stills captured from within the game; they are screen captures from the original renderings of those sequences, and are as such at a much higher resolution than we got to see on our monitors back in the day. (As some of you may know, when artists create 3D characters and animated sequences, the original versions are made at an astonishingly high level of detail and resolution, with millions of polygons. Characters and sequences that appear in-game are compressed, condensed versions of these original creations.)
There are TIFF files that you can download.

They've also got some animations of Pyros that are pretty cool:

Ultima 8 Animations : Ultima 8

W

Woodsman

I was reading Raph Koster's website, and stumbled across this:

Raph Koster's Home Page

Direct link to the artwork he did for UO: Raph Koster's Home Page

This is some of the artwork which I did for Ultima Online. This was done in Fractal Painter 3.0, with a 12x12 Wacom tablet. I love this combination of tools! I used National Geographic photographs for the models.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
another one, while not an artist per sey, more an art 'type' - Spray Paint. (not graffiti ) I first saw this along some rio grande in Mexican border towns a couple years ago, doing landscapes and various mountain/waterfall scenes. Done, and in a matter of minutes, amazing. Here's a typ ex
I see this all the time in NYC, and am always amazed at the creativity and abilities of these artists.

...and my daughter always begs me to buy these every time we go.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
wow thats cool I am going to share that with some of my friends

OvenBird

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks!

Here's a time lapse vid of my sculpting god, Jordu Schell. He makes it look soooo easy...
That's amazing. I kept thinking he was getting to a stopping point, then boom, more detail, as if he kept hitting the 'enhance' button.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Have you ever thought about doing something in the style of the old Ultima box art, like the Ultima artwork by Lee MacLeod
This reminds me of The Hilderbrant Brothers, with the colors. They were my biggest inspiriation when I was young and the first I ever heard of dressing up life models and taking pictures for reference.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wanted to - - --Grimm
Dear TheGrimmOmen,

From another famous artist comes this advice which he gave me. Always stick to what you KNOW you like to DO and find time to HONE your skills. Never mind what others do. Work at making money in your field but also find time for yourself.

I've been an artist/musician/author/ jack of all trades all my life, and since retirement, have found out, because of working for a liviing, being a mother etc I've never had time to realize my full potential. But, finally, I was able to see something there in all my work .. a style, sense of humor, something there that is me - and that 'me'' was in all the first original works of everything I did early in life before being influenced by other great artists.

Athough it might be nice to appreciate and be inspired by the works of other artists, watch out. LOOK CAREFULLY at your own work to see where your real talent lies. You don't want to always be working on what sells because you have the ability to create fantastic works in your very OWN special unique creative ARTistic style that will have everyone else admiring what you do, how you do it, and inspiring them to be like you. There is only one YOU.

:scholar: END of RANT:banana: