• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some newbie questions..

Anal_Ferret

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi ppl.
Last time I played UO about 10 years ago but thinking on returning.
Read a lot of information (forum, guides) but still got some questions.

1. Do Magery and Poisoning effects stuck now (thinking about poison mage or poison/magery thief)

2. Read that skills r no more affected by stats. Is that true? Cant even imagine that.

3. About thieves guild. Should I join it both in Tr and Fe?

4/ I it useful to buy 5 possible Powerscrolls +20 at the cost of 1 GM skill?

5/ What r ur opinion on quick-thieves (without any snooping). Is this pattern worth using?

Seems enough for the first time.
Thanks in adwance.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Poisoning with spells is better if you also have the poisoning skill.
http://www.uoguide.com/Poisoning

2)Yes Stats has no effect on skills.

3)When you join the thiefs guild its for everywhere. But you can still only steal from players in Felucca Facet.

4)It all depends how you like to play and what you have in mind to do. I have a character with 6 X 120 skills but i also have many with just 1 Legendary skill and 6 GM ones or with 2 110 skills and 5 GM ones. UO gives you the flexibility to do what you like. And if you doubt something would work out fine. Just go a Test Center and set the skill templates you aiming for and try it out to see if it works for you. My characters set up might not just work or play right for someone else. We can all give you suggestions and direction but you have always the final desicion. :)

5)Well, its always good to see if your "victim" carry something worth stealing. ;)

And welcome back! :)

Anal_Ferret

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
another portion of questions)

1. left any skills that work in stealth and do not reveal u (if Im nopt mistaken, one of em was snooping)

2. Is ninja skill worth taking without any fight skills (just to change shape)

3. It was written somewhere that UOAsst doesnt work with last updated client (legacy). Is that true? and if it is - what's about macroing then?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Don't think there many skills that won't reveal you when you are hidden. Besides snooping that is. Maybe tracking but i don't think many people have that skill.

2) I have a thief with Ninjitsu skill without fighting skills. The wolf form makes me run as fast as someone on a horse. Some other forms make you immune to light poison or even regenerate health faster.

3) I'm pretty sure UOA still works with the 2D client. It just don't work with the KR client.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Animal Lore doesn't reveal you either (good for stealth tamers (or invisible ones) trying to find which critter out of a bunch they want to tame.)

Anal_Ferret

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 Frarc

ah, then it was u who wrote it. I came across that post)
could u show me ur pattern?

I just wonder whether I really need ninj or it is just a waste of skp..

In fact Im pathologically fond of playing single characher/acc. Soulgems solve the problem... but nevertheless..

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 2 "thiefs". These is how there skill is build up for them:

120 Stealing
100 Lockpicking
100 Detect Hidden
100 Hiding
100 Stealth
100 Ninjitsu
100 Disarm trap

110 Stealing
110 Stealth
100 Hiding
100 Ninjitsu
100 Lockpicking
100 Snooping
100 Disarm Trap

Anal_Ferret

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
most common builts.
but lp and dt make me worry(

i wonder is it worth stealing from vendor crates? does it make sense?
as i understand those 2 skills r needed only for that purpose

and what benefits do u get from ninjitsu exept changing form (and what for? just to run away without horses/ostards)??

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They have disarm trap and lockpicking to open up the Paragon chests i bring home from my hunts. :)

You don't have to take the skills if you don't have a benefit for yourself.

For my characters only the forms have use for me. But if you also got fighting skills they can enhance it. You could replace lockpicking and disarm with fighting skills.

It all depends what you want your character to do. :)

Anal_Ferret

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What chests?
could u give any link? havent read about 'em..

ah) got it.. those treasure chests)

but a they transferrable?
and how do u go TH without mining?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mining's never been required for Treasure hunting - at best, it just allowed you to find the chest at a greater distance from the actual burial spot (which is STILL not enough to keep the spawn from killing you, for the high-level maps).

If you have access to a rune library with the map spots marked, and a web page cataloging the maps (The two most common systems are THB and Goodman's - most rune libraries have one or the other, and most THB Rune Libraries have both), you can recall straight to the spot and start digging. even without the rune library, you can use the web pages to find the coordinates for any given map, and a sextant to determine when you are actually on the spot, once you reach the location.

Anal_Ferret

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mining's never been required for Treasure hunting - at best, it just allowed you to find the chest at a greater distance from the actual burial spot (which is STILL not enough to keep the spawn from killing you, for the high-level maps).
great then)
as I read the faqs and saw adwanced player purchase options I thought it d been implemented.

then the following questions:

1. do mobs detect? is it possible to go solo TH?

2. couldnt find any classification of the chests (as for how many traps may be found)( does anyone know?

3. Could someone plainly explain me everything concerning item insurance system? Some items r "blessed", some - "cursed" and others may be insured if I want?

4. my question from another thread.. I read about the trial but couldnt use it(( during the registration procedure it says I should purchase and enter the 30-days code.. am I loosing trial then? or it'll be 15 trial + 30 code days?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Monsters can reveal you. The higher hiding and stealth the less that happens. also stronger and bigger monster can reveal better. Low level TH can be done alone, the higher ones are very tricky alone.

2) There is always 1 trap on a chest. Best way to disarm a chest is to use telekinese spell on it from a distance. Then the trap go off without you being damaged. The higher level of the chests the stronger the traps. High level traps is almost always instant death.

http://www.uoguide.com/Chest_Trap

3) Blessed items don't need insurance. Those items always stay with you even if you die. They won't fall on your corpse.

Cursed items can not be insured. These items can always be stolen from you from your backpack in Felucca facet.

All items can be insured for 600 gold a piece. Make sure auto reinsure is always turned on. and that you have plenty of gold in your bank for it.

http://www.uoguide.com/Insurance

4) I think its 15 trial + 30 days code.

Anal_Ferret

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I read those tips before placing my questions..

but there r just general facts.. and I looking for details..

as for question 4 im really interested, cos gonna pay tomorrow.. need to understand how much to pay and what would i get -)

Anal_Ferret

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok..
thx everyone..

and 4 last questions..

1. how to choose a shard to play? Im completely dumb about all those ping, latency and all the stuff. I suppose i'll better choose europa< but due to my personal taste Ill better choose some korean or japanese. So could anyone explain me how to check those connection speed and so on to choose..

2. Could u plainly explain me the game mechanics. If ppl can use KR trial (even with 2d client) it means a person actually doesnt need the latest updated client to play? I mean, as far as im gonna train my skills, can I just use old clients (gain 15 day trial and then be charged ~15 usd each month), and as far as i decide to play - purchase upgrades. in other words, can I wait till my salary or buy everything this week ;)

3. Here I came across notion about "ferret form". Whats that? Latest implemention or what? Couldnt find it anywhere else

4/ The last vut not the least question is about my nick-name. does anyone find it abusing somehow? If I create a male character I usuallu take this nick. As i can judge from my experience, sometimes GM find it abusing, sometimes not. What would u advise me?

A

Arch Magus

I have 2 "thiefs". These is how there skill is build up for them:

120 Stealing
100 Lockpicking
100 Detect Hidden
100 Hiding
100 Stealth
100 Ninjitsu
100 Disarm trap

110 Stealing
110 Stealth
100 Hiding
100 Ninjitsu
100 Lockpicking
100 Snooping
100 Disarm Trap
These are almost identical, hehe.:D

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ferret form is one of the Ninja animal forms - I believe it might be one of those that requires a special talisman to use (if it is, the talisman comes from a token that costs 300-500k)

C

Cat Crimson

for number 4) I really wouldn't chance it. If you think others ie GM's may find it offensive, they probably will. Also, you do not need to wait until a GM randomly encounters you for a potentially offensive name to come to their attention - players can page on you for this. Chances are you would get a temporary ban and either a random NPC name placed on the character or you may have to pay for a name change.

I personally find your nickname unpleasant, but then that's a subjective viewpoint.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok..
thx everyone..

and 4 last questions..

1. how to choose a shard to play? Im completely dumb about all those ping, latency and all the stuff. I suppose i'll better choose europa< but due to my personal taste Ill better choose some korean or japanese. So could anyone explain me how to check those connection speed and so on to choose..

2. Could u plainly explain me the game mechanics. If ppl can use KR trial (even with 2d client) it means a person actually doesnt need the latest updated client to play? I mean, as far as im gonna train my skills, can I just use old clients (gain 15 day trial and then be charged ~15 usd each month), and as far as i decide to play - purchase upgrades. in other words, can I wait till my salary or buy everything this week ;)

3. Here I came across notion about "ferret form". Whats that? Latest implemention or what? Couldnt find it anywhere else

4/ The last vut not the least question is about my nick-name. does anyone find it abusing somehow? If I create a male character I usuallu take this nick. As i can judge from my experience, sometimes GM find it abusing, sometimes not. What would u advise me?

1) All shards have great communities. Its a matter of personal taste if you want to have alot of people around or won't mind with a little less.
Europa and Drachenfels are both European shards but Europa got more people . I play on Drachenfels and Napa Valley and i like our smaller community. If i where you i would choose with the best connection. Thats often the shard closes to where you live.

2)If you paying customer for UO it don't matter what game client you use to play. You can play in 2D alone or in KR alone or even use both for different things. Its a matter of personal taste. The trial is just to get people in UO with the KR client but you can freely use trial for 2D too.

3) See Basara's post.

4)If you think your characters name can be offensive to anyone i would not choose the name at all. Its better to play safe. If a GM don't like it he can change it for you in anything he wants. Choose the names wisely cause its one of the most important thing that others players know you from. I realy would not use your board name you use here for a character if i may advice you. :)