• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some more newb ?s

R

Rustedblayds

Hello again. Firstly, thanks to HoFD on Pac. I know I will remember your name when I see it again, but someone was kind enough to give me two valorian (sp?) halberds. Ettins know the word pain personally now!

Down to the questions....
1. Does anyone have XP enabled for languages other than English? My XP has Japanese enabled. For the UOKR installation it first came up in Japanese but is full English after changing the language settings. The 2D client however, even after DLing it from here, seems to painfully make itself Japanese.

The UO config file shows ENGLISH as the language...and some of the ingame stuff is English, but all text (moving cursor over items, NPCs calling out to you, etc. is Japanese) What a pain in the a$$!

2. I've picked up some weapons some are pretty purple, blue green etc.....is this colour simply a reflection of the major resist on it? eg. green for poison etc.?

3. I could be wrong, but wasn't it possible to pay the blacksmith to repair items? or do I really need to swap characters or train at least some smithy skill?

Cheers

T

T_Amon_from_work

2D is dumb ... flip the XP settings to English to use it, then flip back for usage in Japanese. This is called localization (localisation for UK English) and flipping the XP language should fix it for gaming 2D.

The colorations do designate the major portion of damage dealt on the weapon. Orange = fire, blue = cold, green = poison ... not sure on Energy. 100% damage in a color is sometimes referred to as a neon weapon.

I don't ever recall NPC smiths doing repairs ... but player crafters can make repair deeds that they sell. Use a repair deed on the item in the appropriate shop: smithy for blacksmith, tailor shop for tailoring, etc. No skill needed to use them, but you will periodically lose a point of durability - no matter what.

If your character(s) were on LA, I have a GM+ Smith that would gladly repair stuff for you. GM+ Tailor as well. I say GM+ as each has eaten a +20 skill scroll but hasn't even reached 110 yet.

R

Rustedblayds

The gaming experience continues and more cobwebs are blown away from the deep recesses of my memory banks :)

I won't worry about calling EA support to find out whatever the original account I had all those years ago was. I'm enjoying the fresh restart.

Finally got out of trial period and activated ML. I can now create elven characters...woot!

I've found ye olde orc fort and wandered into one of the dungeons for some quick fun with harpies and gazers. Found a plot of land for a house....but character is still too young to place it.

Bought a boat, as you do, to do some more exploring....I remember having a house on a small island many many years ago....don't remember which island or where but anyway....and couldn't drive the boat....the tiller guy wanted a map! uh ohs....am I going to need cartography for this? Or jsut buy maps from the NH mapmaker?

Also, what's a rune book...does it mean I can just drag and drop runes on the book like scrolls to spellbook then use the icon in the book as the target for recalling?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just tell the tillerman what direction to go....

Commands are
Forward
Back
left
right
stop
raise anchor
drop anchor

For forward movement, you can also say "Slow forward" in order to move forward the same speed one moves in other directions (forward is generally several times faster than any other direction)
You can also combine left/right with forward/back
You can also specify "One" at the end of the command just to move one square

For example, the command "Forward Left One" would move the boat diagonally forward left one step (in relation to what direction the bow of the ship is facing).

T

T_Amon_from_work

Harpies and Gazers ... Covetous Dungeon. They can be fun ... I used to specifically train on Stone Harpies.

Rune Book - As runes are marked for various spots (and labeled as well, right?), simply drop the rune into a closed runebook in your pack. Then, yes - open the book to the page you wish, select recall, gate or sacred journey and travel there.

Many player vendors selling filled runebooks will typically have them for the Tram Banks, Fel Banks, Tram Dungeons, Fel Dungeons and some few might also do special spots ... Painted Caves, Reaper Point, etc.

R

Rustedblayds

Thx Basara. Wil lgive that a shot tonight. I had only used "Start" which is when the Tillerman said something about needing a map to plot the course.

Failing that I'll jsut smack him around a little and remind who is boss!

R

Rustedblayds

Thx to you too T'Amon.

I don't remember seeing Runebooks in the mage shop, are they sold elsewhere? I'll have to run around again and see what is availbale on the market.

Cheers

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Runebooks are only made by players. So you need to find a players vendor with them on it or ask around if someone can scribe you one.

R

Rustedblayds

Another quick question :)

Thanks all for the help so far.

Why is it none of the warrior templates use focus? As a default skill and the only one I have over 95% in my short character life, I really haven't done anything for it....it's jsut naturally raised so high.

Is it simply a good to have, but there are better skills to max situation?

A

Arch Magus

Until you reach your skillcap, just keep focus.

It provides good Mana and Stamina regen.
Just start dropping it later if you want to raise something else.

And, some templates do use Focus, it's simply that decent gear can easily replace Focus later.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One more thing:

Neither the color nor the ore type of the weapon does have anything to do with it's quality or value. A valorite weapon is not automatically better than a normal one.

Both color and ore type determine the damage distribution of the weapon. This means, while a plain weapon does 100% physical damage, a weapon crafted with a special ore type may have 60% physical and 40% fire damage. Both still deal 100% total damage.

The type of damage may only have an advantage, if you use that weapon against certain monsters with the apporpriate weakness. For example, a weapon with 40% fire and 60% physical damage will hurt ice creatures much more than a weapon with 100% physical damage. That's because ice creatures have a very low resistance against fire damage.

R

Rustedblayds

thanks hawkeye.

yet another question :)

how do I turn piles of gold into a bank cheque....

G

GFY

Go to your favorite bank (any bank will do) and say, "check 100000" or whatever amount you want the check for. The check will then appear in your bank box.

T

T_Amon_from_work

and to redeem the check into gold, make sur it is in the top level of the bankbox and double-click it. Voila! gold again!

R

Rustedblayds

>.< cheque vs check.....argh!

Cheers...I think you have no....I KNOW you have just helped me redeem much weight in my bank! :)

much appreciated.

R

Rustedblayds

So....I FINALLY got past the 15day wait to get my house up......set it up in a decent spot.....move everything out of the bank of my characters (got sick of it being full)....get some sleep and wake up to an empty house.

When I put it up there was no key in my bag or bank.....and I could see no way to lock the house. It was set to private and owner only.

Any idea how I can lock the darn doors? :)

T

T_Amon_from_work

1. empty house ... did you lockdown or secure all the items you placed in it? If not, they >poofed<.

2. Security ... click the door (if double-wide doors, each must be clicked). Gump says "Set security" ... click it and you'll have a list to pick from. All characters on your account on that shard are owners by default.

You can set teleporter security as well - same wy - click the teleporter symbol, go thru the menu and gump.

P

pavel.vesely

Did you lock down your possessions in your house? If not your possessions was not stolen, it simply decayed. Same as if you put something to ground, it will be removed from world in several minutes. To lock item in house say "I wish to lock this down", and target item. This is mostly used with furniture and decoration.

Alternative is to make secure container. You do that by saying "I with to secure this" and targeting container (anything from leather pouch to metal box and more). You can freely put items in/take items out of secure container without need of locking/releasing every item. This is mostly used for everyday use items.

You can have only given number of items locked and secured in house, based on size/type of house. You can find exact number at house menu.

You can find more information at http://www.uoherald.com/guide/house_5.php

Note command "Remove thyself", it can be useful at felucca.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You don't - The need to lock doors went away something like 8 years ago. It was replaced by the lockdown/secure system for securing your house contents, and the private/public settings.

And, if you set your stuff down without locking it down (or securing if a container), it's gone. You have to lock down or secure items in your house (which themselves have security settings you access by right-clicking. If items are not secured, they decay in about 2 hours.

The way housing works is completely different from the original system - much better too. But, those that haven't played in almost a decade can end up losing a LOT of stuff if they don't bother to check and see what has changed in the game since they were last here.

The command for locking something down (typically not a container, as you can only LOOK at the contents of a locked down container, not remove anything) is "I wish to lock this down" then you target the item with the cursor. Items locked down automatically have Owner only security.

The command for securing a container is "I wish to secure this item". It works the same way, except after targeting the container, you automatically get the security level gump. Secure containers allow anyone of the proper security level to add and remove items.

To move a locked down or secure item, you saw "I wish to release this", and target the item. You can then pick it up, move it, etc. but if you wish to lock down or secure the item somewhere else you have to use the above commands again.

right-clicking doors or teleporters will bring up their security gumps as well; Note that "Owner only" refers to all characters for that account.

If a property is "Private" only owners, co-owners and friends may enter it (I think there's also an access level of some sort I've never used).

R

Rustedblayds

cheers all....seems like a "false alarm" I didnt lock everything down last night and looks like it went kapoof! :)

first thing on the agenda...make chests and lock em down!

D

DHMagicMan_1

cheers all....seems like a "false alarm" I didnt lock everything down last night and looks like it went kapoof! :)

first thing on the agenda...make chests and lock em down!
Chests you probably want to say " I wish to secure this" and target the chest... then everything you put inside is secure and you can add and remove from that secure container at will... if you "I wish to lock this down" you will have to "release" every time you try to pick something up from inside the chest.

Grimwar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As said above, you have to secure or lock down an item.
Secure containers will hold 125 items and have no weight limit, same as your bank box, but not as secure as it depends on a few factors. ie house decay etc.
It also pays to dbl check your secure/locked-down item after you isue the command.
Try to pick up or move the item, if its it's locked or secure it will bounce back and you will see a message saying this item is secure or locked down or you can not pick this item up.

New to housing can be a problematic experience and it helps if you ask on these boards or trusted friends.
Also you can use the gump to set the security of a container ie owner only {all your chars are automatic owners} co-owners etc.

You can check your house storage by using the house sign gump.

Another hint i just thought of, if you re-design your house and are running out of storage space or lost an item, check your house sign and drop your temp storage box at your feet. {forgot what's it's called} it will diss after a few mins back to the house sign, but you can remove {not put in} item,s from it. The Item's removed will have to be placed in your backpack or locked down etc.
These item's were put in this container on account of you going in to the custom build menu of your house.