• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lumberjacking] Some lumberjacking results

PaulCH

Journeyman
Wanted to compare the rarity of the colored ingots and colored boards. Started with previously posted mining results and here are the preliminary lumberjacking results:

6116 Boards 72.97%
1166 Oak 13.91%
814 Ash 9.71%
110 Yew 1.31%
110 Frostwood 1.31%
66 Bloodwood 0.79%
8 Luminescent Fungi
5 Switch
3 Parasitic Plants
38 Bark Fragments

Out of the first 8382 boards, no heartwood logs and no ambers.

Again, sorry about formatting...if I do post again then I may simply post an excel sheet. Only comment so far is that I got about 1.31% more frostwood than I expected :p My results since I came back to playing about 6 months ago have been simple...0 frostwood boards. Today, I got on my second trip out.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's a quick tip about the BODs that give the talismans.

Go find a tree that gives the high end wood FIRST.
Then Turn In the BOD to get the talisman.

Several of the trees around the gate area of Eodon are the closest thing to the old "Magic Trees" you can find. They can put out 1000-2000 logs before running out. There may be others out in the lands. The hard part is targeting them, which typically means you have to stand back, click around to get a "Too Far Away" message, then move up to the tree and chop the tree using a "Last Object, Last Target" Macro (something that can be set up easily in the Classic Client - It's so useful that all my characters have one, for everything from resource gathering to corpse opening).

I found one that was giving Yew on Lake Austin, so I went and got a Yew talisman.

The most important thing is to not go over backpack capacity. (UO Assist and classic client, and putting the logs on the ground fixes this, and have the logs autostack on the ground). You'll lose all the logs that go over the 550 stone cap.

Over 4 or 5 chopping sessions, I used up the 300 charges of the talisman.

As a human, I normally get 11 logs with each chop. With the talisman, I got 17 per chop.
The talisman meant EVERY chop with it was equipped was Yew. At 300 charges, that is 5100 Yew Boards!
The Best strategy is to take enough pack animals to carry ALL your wood, changed to boards, back. In the case of the yew talisman, that's 3 pack animals plus room for 300 boards on yourself.

So, if you can hold off on turning in a BOD UNTIL you have a tree to use the wood talismans on, the talismans are a real game changer.

PaulCH

Journeyman
I'm a believer in "if it's too good to be true..." so had to read this a couple of times before I believed it. Definitely going to do this from here on. Now just have to find the colored wood :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've found out that as long as you do the "target with the axe from out of range, then close in and repeat the action" method, a lot of trees that I'd previously thought unchoppable in Eodon are now choppable. Some of them I could only find a choppable area when coming in from one direction, but not earlier when coing in from the other way.

I found over a half-dozen Yew, 2 Heartwood, 2 Bloodwood, and a Frostwood tree between the Chocolate guy and the (unchoppable) palm trees north of the Barako, all east of the river/champ, on Lake Austin.

I used a big chunk of a heartwood talisman (still over 100 charges left, currently standing at over 2700 Heartwood boards), before the two trees changed on me (one went through 3 chopping sessions of 600+ logs at 17 logs a swing, before the randomizer hit - the other hit after the first session and about 350 logs)