• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some changes in the RP Community

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aedon Durreah. I know your name from way back. What do you go by in game? I could swear I remember you from back around the AOS times.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
John McDermmot, Aramis, Aedon Durreah
And I know you too Black Sun
I started playing in LBR

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Raina last fall we were told by the Admin of the forums we just lost, she arranged with you to set up new forums for the community.

Raina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Raina last fall we were told by the Admin of the forums we just lost, she arranged with you to set up new forums for the community.
Nope, It came as a total surprise to me honestly.

Which is fine really it's whatever the community as a whole wants.
All I know is ye 'ole RPRing forums are still up and stable and available still for use. No Adverts and an actual archiveable database.

Ultimately of course, it's what the community decides is best for the community, I just wanted to make it known it was still kicking.

~Rai

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I talk to Raina everyday in RL, so I remember the chain of events on our end.

The Catskills RP Ring was having severe ISP problems which led to severe technical difficulties. Our efforts to fix these issues were hampered as some aspects were out of our control as neither of us were the owner of them. Raina spent literally hours and hours with the ISP technical while trying to get permission from the owner to move the forums to a more stable host. The owner granted permission and forums were moved to a more stable and reliable server. Forums were brought back up, and we saw a few folks posting. Posting abruptly ceased.

We never received any ICQs or messages concerning any issues with the forums and later discovered by pure happenstance (via a thread on this exact forum), that the rp community were using new forums. It came as a complete surprise to both of us. After a long discussion, we decided that we would keep the forums up to allow anyone who wanted to copy their fiction, information, etc. Raina has remained faithful in keeping the software updated and we both have kept an eye on them for the last four months to make sure that no spam-bot posts went unchecked.

Now, obviously there are still some technical issues with the forums due to it's shift of location. Since neither of us rp'd regularly on Catskills and thus did not use the forums ourselves for posting, we were unaware. The way we see it, the rp community need to get with each other and make some decisions. *smiles*

Which forum would the rp community like to use from this point on? If it the 'new' one, than we can keep the rp ring up for a length of time to allow you all time to get all your guild information and stories successfully copied over. That length of time is really dependent on your needs to do it. Personally, although Raina might be willing to keep them up indefinitely, I feel as a courtesy to her that she not have to spend future time to keep the software updated if they will not be used regularly, -plus- the added fact that it gives the illusion of a divided community and in Catskills aging rp community, this would not do anything to help it.

If the community as a whole would like to use their 'old stomping grounds' again, we ask that everyone in it help us out with what would need to be done in order to encourage a fresh start for -all- it's members... an yes, even those who've "bumped heads" with staff previously. You as a community will need to be willing to band together as a whole to decide any changes to the forum layout and new moderators from the community.

The decision is in your hands and needs to be decided upon in the best interests of -all- of you as a community. Over the years, I have seen petty differences and impatience fracture you all in separate directions. As a whole and for the good of the rp on this shard you all must pull together, set aside your minor differences and become a united and proactive front to revitalize it. It will mean not always being "right" and being willing to compromise, but I know with the heart and soul I have seen in many of you over the years that you can indeed make it happen.

So talk it over and decide how you all would like to move forward. As always Raina and I will be there to give our suggestions and ideas, but ultimately -each- of you will be the ones that have to raise up this community and refuse to let it go quietly into the night.

~ Thank you.

Alira Drakrul

B

Beleg Megil

I like the new one, plus it is run by an active player and has built in chat.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever floats ya'lls boat as a group, Beleg *smiles*

Just please, when the final decision is reached, someone send Raina or me a PM to let one of us know as well as how long you need (week, 2 weeks, etc) if you choose to go with the new forums. Thank you!

P.S Nifty look on the new forum. Good job. *smiles*

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Alira, we are trying now to schedule a meeting among the community and see what folks are wanting out of the forums and their play time in game. I will make sure to keep Raina informed and I am going to link your note so folks can seek out any stories etc. they have left on the RP Ring.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is one strange thing I notice with the Catskills community.

I hear rumors all the time. People have this problem, people have that problem with the community. Some childish quarrel between guilds. Some RL issues brought into the game for whatever reason. Now I totally am surprised by a Catskills forum being shut down, and I read an incomprehensible statement on the homepage.

Some weeks back, I made a suggestion for a PERMANENT and central Hub for Catskills Roleplayers, and the few answers I get showed no interest at all, but instead directed me to that very same site that now has just been shut down and obviously was run by somebody with no commitment whatsoever (I don't blame this person!).
At that point, I personally decided to limit my [edit: website/publishing-] commitment to my own guild, and perhaps a few friends. I just want to let you know: A community can only evolve if all people walk into the same direction and don't waste their energy with needless disputes and OOC conflicts.

I guess, each shard has the community it deserves...

A

Auggie

Of course it doesn't stop.

Oh, but to express my opinion, I prefer the new forums. They are simple, clean, and better suited to a small community. The mod is also very diligent about news updates and extremely committed to things. Said mod also writes many brilliant stories, leads a guild, and spends ample amounts of time role playing, so we really couldn't ask for someone better in my opinion.

I prefer a small advert on top of the page to a ring that uses a recycled background from the old dragongames Undead web page circa '99 and has spinning .gif graphics everywhere and millions of out of date sub-forums that haven't been used since '03.

C

CatLord

Should have been around the RP community when we were in Yew Trammel...

"he said"
"she said"
"it said" (we had orcs...)

The political moves, backstage intrigue... the cloak and dagger context...

Man, I miss those days...

Raina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer a small advert on top of the page to a ring that uses a recycled background from the old dragongames Undead web page circa '99 and has spinning .gif graphics everywhere and millions of out of date sub-forums that haven't been used since '03.

Just of note, all these things were chosen By the community.
Just like Darkness, when it comes to the RPRing forums, for me it's a matter of maintenance, updates 'etc. As far as style, content, moderators 'etc that's left up to the community at large, if it's something that wants changed, get people involved as as long as a fair majority can agree it gets changed.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I do agree considerably with Hawkeye in his notes.

I used to attempt to put a lot into the community, though now.. ( Even with sites like www.uocommunity.com )*shrugs* However I'm still willing to maintain it technically, I just don't have the time to maintain it from a community standpoint, that's what moderators 'et 'al are for. So like I've said, it's there if you want it, if ya'll don't I'll get with Darkness to make sure his needs are met and go from there *smiles*

Really the only thing I've wanted is a strong solid community.

~Rai

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Raina.

Like Auggie, I also would like to stay with the new board. Not only for its simplicity of use and appearence but also because the person maintaining it is a strong presence in the RP community.

You have in the past done a great service for us all in your work to the old forums. And no one would ever offer anything but praise for Darkness for the years he worked to keep the board active.

Lady Sarain who ran our last board also did a great deal of work on the board and tried to keep things alive for the community. But no one should be asked or expected to keep forums going once they have moved on to other things. It is not fair to the person or the community.

At this point it is best to offer our heartfelt thanks to those who were there for us before, and look to the future of the community.

B

Beleg Megil

"he said"
"she said"

"CEASE! Meeting in the Winery (whinery) Now!"

lol :)

While I often laugh about those days and agree it was easier to find people? Nah...don't wanna repeat them, hehe.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer the old LS Mage Tower politics:

Lord Farsight: OK. Group. Before we go do fun things, who has an issue?
Dedigan the dumb: I do, I want to talk about...
Everyone else: Corp Por Corp Por
Dedigan the dumb: OoOOO OooO
Lord Farsight: That issue is taken care of, who else has an issue?
Lord Farsight: Nobody? Good. Lets go have some fun.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer the old LS Mage Tower politics:

Lord Farsight: OK. Group. Before we go do fun things, who has an issue?
Dedigan the dumb: I do, I want to talk about...
Everyone else: Corp Por Corp Por
Dedigan the dumb: OoOOO OooO
Lord Farsight: That issue is taken care of, who else has an issue?
Lord Farsight: Nobody? Good. Lets go have some fun.
*chuckles*
Beware of Mage Meetings.

A

Auggie

"he said"
"she said"

This is how I responded to Yew Trammel.
http://i43.***********/2pobkep.jpg

C

CatLord

Sadly, it all ended with a major clash with the Fel players and massive looting...

Still we have to thank all the leaders and players... those months were intense.

A

Auggie

Sadly, it all ended with a major clash with the Fel players and massive looting...
Actually it ended because EA decided to turn Yew into an ugly blighted swamp and people took their role playing (Abbey sitting) elsewhere.

C

Corvak

Ugh, that always annoyed me. I loved going to Yew back in the day.

C

CatLord

Actually it ended because EA decided to turn Yew into an ugly blighted swamp and people took their role playing (Abbey sitting) elsewhere.
I dont remember it that way... having both characters in the Hand and fighting them...

But old age has its price... memory isnt what it used to be...

I sure miss rescuying Lady Bayjette from the Undeads... She sure got kidneapped alot... very Shakesperian...

Raina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okey Dokey! As per Phaen's Post on the new RP Portal, I spoke with Darkness and we decided it would be in everyone's best interest to go ahead and close down the Catskills Roleplayers Ring.

More Information as well as a link to the new RP Portal can be found at the old Roleplayers Ring URL http://catskills.uocommunity.com/

As always, best of luck to the Catskills Roleplaying Community!

~Rai

C

CatLord

Anyone knows where Imhotep is? He was one of my former GMs... in P*V.
Just curious...

S

Sister Annorah

I wonder if anyone realizes just how much of Cats RP history was just lost with the RP Ring shutting down? All those thousands of stories. Perhaps a warning and maybe a week or so to let people get the stories they wish. I'm so happy for the "community" and their new home but it can never replace the amount of memories and history buried within the archives of the RP Ring.

'Tis a sad day.